ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Fleabit Peanut
Monkey was here babies!
Spectrum Arena, Philadelphia - Today 30 years ago
© 1975 FPM C10
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ray Davies ... Traitor ????? Return to archive
June 18th, 2005 12:02 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Ray Davies Inks With V2 For Solo Debut

By Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Kinks leader Ray Davies has signed with V2, which will on Sept. 6 release his long-in-the-works, as-yet-untitled solo debut. A spokesperson says the track list has not been confirmed, but Davies has been performing a number of new tunes in recent live shows, including "The Morning After" and "The Tourist."

"I've done lots of songs, but whether they're any good is another matter," Davies told the U.K.'s Independent newspaper last fall. "All the songs are different, but they're all about me, which is quite worrying when you think about it."

The artist has a handful of tour dates on tap before taking a break for the rest of the summer, including a show tomorrow (June 17) in Ringsted, Denmark. Touring will resume Sept. 25 in York, England, and will run through late October.

Meanwhile, the Kinks' influence remains large; the group's "You Really Got Me" was voted best song of the decade (1955-1964) last May by BBC Radio 2 listeners at the Ivor Novello Awards.

A number of the group's late-period albums have been reissued in recent months via Koch; the next batch will arrive in late 2005/early 2006 and comprise 1979's "Low Budget" and the compilation "Celluloid Heroes," which culls tracks from the Kinks' 1971-1975 tenure on RCA.

Here are Ray Davies' tour dates:

June 17: Ringsted, Denmark (Congrescentre)
June 18: Haderslev, Denmark (Kloften Festival)
June 19: Odense, Denmark (Amfiscenen)
July 9: Egersund, Norway (Visefestival)
Sept. 25: York, England (Grand Opera House)
Sept. 26: Leicester, England (DeMontford Hall)
Sept. 28: London (Royal Albert Hall)
Sept. 29: Nottingham, England (Royal Centre)
Sept. 30: Glasgow (Royal Concert Hall)
Oct. 2: Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England (Tyne Theatre)
Oct. 3: Manchester, England (Bridgewater Hall)
Oct. 4: Liverpool, England (Philharmonic)
Oct. 6: Bristol, England (Colston Hall)
Oct. 7: Coventry, England (Warwick Arts Centre)
Oct. 8: Birmingham, England (Symphony Hall)
Oct. 10: Brighton, England (Dome)
Oct. 11: Canterbury, England (Marlow Theatre)
Oct. 12: Southampton, England (Guildhall)
Oct. 14: Plymouth, England (Pavilions)
Oct. 15: Cardiff, Wales (St. David's Hall)
Oct. 16: Oxford, England (New Theatre)
June 18th, 2005 12:05 PM
glencar How is he a traitor?
June 18th, 2005 12:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
glencar wrote:
How is he a traitor?

Keith would tell you. You don't "solo" without the band!!!
June 18th, 2005 12:32 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Keith would tell you. You don't "solo" without the band!!!

HAHAHAHAHA!! GOOD ONE!
June 18th, 2005 01:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
glencar wrote:
How is he a traitor?

Well, I have been searching for Nicky Hopkins for years to make the second edition of the Rocks Off space for him[under construction right now].

In many interviews Ray said that "Session Man" was dedicated to and inspired by Nicky. But when Nicky passed away Ray wrote an article for NY Times saying "His best work in his short spell with the Kinks was on the album 'Face to Face.' I had written a song called 'Session Man,' inspired partly by Nicky." So it was or not dedicated to Nicky, it was just "partly" inspired by Nicky?

Recently a regular of Rocks Off, I don't remember his name told us here at the board that when he met Nicky and they talked about the Kinks, Nicky said something that he played all the pianos but Ray "partly" credited them to Nicky

Apparently, "partly" is one of his favourites words
June 18th, 2005 01:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Well, Voodoo your post raises some interesting points. And I think it has more to do with human nature than this or that. When ever you hire someone they work for you. Session musicans are just that....session musicians, just mercenaries trying to survive. The star is the star...and they make the money and get the applause. In rnr it;s a little different because of a concept called "the band". Look at Dylan, he never gave any "credit" at all to those guys who did Blood on the Tracks. When you're the the Star you "use" people. That's the way it is.
June 18th, 2005 02:09 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl The point here is that when Nicky was "The" session man he said the song was dedicated to him and then he said another version.

About credits like giving just partial credits to Nicky when he played all the keys is a secondary point and off-topic when I was focusing in the "traitor" adjective.

I know the session man is like an employee in a big company, if he discover "the cure for dead" the real owner is the company paying the employee, and they have all the rights; but the ethic way (i.e. DuPont) is giving the inventors the right to appear in the patent and to pay some royalties, even if the patent is now owned by the Company.

Why first saying something cool and then change when he's gone?
June 18th, 2005 04:16 PM
pdog Isn't Dave Davies in really bad shape from a stroke?
June 18th, 2005 04:32 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
pdog wrote:
Isn't Dave Davies in really bad shape from a stroke?

According to the 'Sunday Express' (June 12 2005), Ray said:

"Dave's recovering, but not as fast as he wants to. He's able to play guitar again, which is great, but he has had to learn it all over again. It is an amazing process.

"When he does recover he will be a fine example to lots of people who suffer from the same condition. I'm coaching him along as best as I can".

http://kinks.it.rit.edu/misc/articles/20050612-sundayexpress.jpg
June 18th, 2005 09:17 PM
Soul Survivor The Kinks have some really good tunes.
June 18th, 2005 11:44 PM
glencar Low Budget has a bunch of 'em.
June 19th, 2005 01:21 AM
Zack Low Budget is definitely second-tier Kinks. Classic Kinks albums include

Face to Face
Something Else
Village Green
Arthur
Lola Vs. Powerman and the Moneyground
Muswell Hillbillies

The amazing thing is these albums are consecutive. An utterly amazing run from 66 to 71, and for the first two years, there were a half dozen spectacular non-album singles as well.
June 19th, 2005 02:42 AM
The_Worst
quote:
Zack wrote:
Low Budget is definitely second-tier Kinks. Classic Kinks albums include

Face to Face
Something Else
Village Green
Arthur
Lola Vs. Powerman and the Moneyground
Muswell Hillbillies

The amazing thing is these albums are consecutive. An utterly amazing run from 66 to 71, and for the first two years, there were a half dozen spectacular non-album singles as well.

In my opinion, The Kinks are the most underrated group in music history PERIOD. They're tunes are right up there with The Who, Pink Floyd, & many of the top groups of all time (The Stones will always be in a class of their own) but they get almost none of the recognition (especially in America) the other groups of the era get...

They are simply awesome!!!
June 19th, 2005 07:06 AM
Zack Hey Worst, do you have a Kinks boot called Midlife Krisis, from Winterland 77? If not, send me a PM.

P.S. For the record, that's "Moneygoround," and the singles kept coming through 68, so that's three years not two.
June 20th, 2005 12:43 AM
tomk [quote]VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

Recently a regular of Rocks Off, I don't remember his name told us here at the board that when he met Nicky and they talked about the Kinks, Nicky said something that he played all the pianos but Ray "partly" credited them to Nicky.

I think that may be me. I posted it month or so ago.
He used to come in the store I was working at the time.
A really, really nice guy. We talked about a many things musical, but for some reason I asked him about him playing
on the Kinks' Village Green Preservation Society album.
The credits don't list him, but it sure sounds like him.
Anyway, I asked him about him about it and he said,
"That bastard Ray Davies. I played keys on that whole record, and he took credit for it."

June 20th, 2005 10:49 AM
The_Worst
quote:
Zack wrote:
Hey Worst, do you have a Kinks boot called Midlife Krisis, from Winterland 77? If not, send me a PM.

P.S. For the record, that's "Moneygoround," and the singles kept coming through 68, so that's three years not two.

Zack, I sent you a PM!!!
June 20th, 2005 10:59 AM
69 Chevy I think the KINKS were a little "to English" for America.

One of the best shows I have ever saw was the Kinks touring on the Low Budget album with Ian Hunter opening! Awesome bill! Ray Davies is one of the great frontmen of all time! I caught Ray's Storytellers tour a few years back, and he hasn't lost a step!
June 20th, 2005 03:38 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
tomk wrote:
We talked about a many things musical, but for some reason I asked him about him playing
on the Kinks' Village Green Preservation Society album.
The credits don't list him, but it sure sounds like him.
Anyway, I asked him about him about it and he said,
"That bastard Ray Davies. I played keys on that whole record, and he took credit for it."

I suppose justice was served: the booklet for the 28-tracked "Castle Essential" Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society album (ESM CD 481 GSA 0000481ESM) states:

Musicians: Ray Davies; vocals, guitar & keyboards
Dave Davies; vocals & guitar
Pete Quaife: bass guitar & backing vocals
Mick Avory: drums
Nicky Hopkins: additional keyboards
Rassa Davies: additional backing vocals
Producer: Ray Davies
Engineers: Alan McKenzie, Brian Humphries

All recording information by permission, from "You Really Got Me - An Illustrated World Discography of the Kinks 1964 - 1993" by Doug Hinman with Jason Brabazon. ISBN 0-9641005-0-9

GOD SAVE THE KINKS!
June 20th, 2005 05:47 PM
MRD8 I just downloaded an excellent audience recording of last nights Ray Davies concert in Odense, Denmark...I'll B&P a few copies if anybody here is interested...send four blank CDR's and a postage paid return mailer...email me at [email protected] for details. Here's the setlist:
Ray Davies (The Kinks)
Andersens drømme - Live på Brandts
Odense, Denmark 19.06.2005

1. intro
2. I’m Not Like Everybody Else
3. The Hard Way
4. Till The End Of The Day
5. After The Fall
6. Sunny Afternoon
7. Dead End Street
8. The Tourist
9. Lola
10. Stand Up Comic
11. The Morning After
12. Alcohol
13. Victoria
14. Tired Of Waiting For You
15. Where Have All The Good Times Gone?
16. Set Me Free
17. The Green Amp
18. All Day And All Of The Night

encores
19. Waterloo Sunset
20. Muswell Hillbilly
21. Low Budget
21. You Really Got Me
June 21st, 2005 10:21 AM
Water Dragon Happy Birthday, may you stay forever young, Brother Ray! Wishing you the bluest skies, and the happiest of days!

Fond regards,

W.D.
[Edited by Water Dragon]
June 21st, 2005 11:40 AM
Nasty Habits You can easily extend the Kinks' great run to include The Kinks Kontroversy, recorded in 1965. Awesome and underrated album, basically their Aftermath.

I'm confused by this "solo debut" thing unless it means all original material. He put out that crappy "storyteller" album years ago . . .

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
June 21st, 2005 11:53 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I'm just now really getting into the Kinks. I agree, they are really the lost souls of rock - and yeah, they were "too British to live" across the pond. Plus, that mysterious banning during everyone else's heydays over here didn't help much.

I made the mistake of buying Misfits recently on the advice of many others... it's... OK, sure, but after Village Green, Arthur, Something Else and Muswell Hillbillies (the four I now own) it's like a slap in the face, a ort of "Kinks Lite." Apart from the title track I don't really like a single song on there.

Here's hoping Dave gets himself back together and they do something in '06, as currently rumored.

Heh... by that point Townshend will have his act back together, supposedly... both down to two original members, The Who and Kinks square off again!
[Edited by TheSavageYoungXyzzy]
June 21st, 2005 12:23 PM
Honky Tonk Man Hey Savage,

Make Face To Face your next Kinks purchase. It's my favourite cd of theirs and It has some great bonus tracks too.
June 21st, 2005 05:10 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Water Dragon wrote:
Happy Birthday, may you stay forever young, Brother Ray! Wishing you the bluest skies, and the happiest of days!

Fond regards,

W.D.
[Edited by Water Dragon]

Same here!

quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
I'm confused by this "solo debut" thing unless it means all original material. He put out that crappy "storyteller" album years ago . . .

Yep. He wouldn't shut his trap. But that's the "beauty" of those VH1 albums, right? Just look at Ringo's.

quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
The Who and Kinks square off again!

And The Floydsters too?

quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
Hey Savage,

Make Face To Face your next Kinks purchase. It's my favourite cd of theirs and It has some great bonus tracks too.

Definitely. From their mid-to-late period, I'd rescue State Of Confusion, Everybody's In Show-Biz and One For The Road (a live record) - they're hardly essential (the studio albums), as the filler percentage increases, but they're charming. I don't have To The Bone, but judging from the tracklist and from the tunes that I've heard, it seems like one of those (fair) "Greatest Hits Live" records.

Schoolboys In Disgrace, Sleepwalker and Low Budget aren't masterpieces but, IMO, are a tad more entertaining than Misfits (probably one of their most boring albums, in spite of the title track). But Face To Face is part of the golden era, so you can hardly go wrong.

The Great Lost Kinks Album (a bootleg) is a must-have. (I've the one where the cover depicts a bunch of small "lost" people, in a city, with their mouths open.) I mean, who can resist lyrics such as: "Your clothes are old-fashioned/Your knuckles are bony/Your hair looks a terrible sight/But I don't have to see you/The way that you are/When I turn off the living room light"?

I'd recommend staying away from the Preservation series (especially "Act I"). ("Sweet Lady Genevieve", "Mirror Of Love" and - pretending you've never heard any of their sixties stuff - "Sitting In The Midday Sun" are decent enough, but: "He's evil"?, "One Of The Survivors"?, "Artificial Man"? - yuck).
[Edited by MrPleasant]
June 22nd, 2005 02:16 AM
Zack I have to jump in with praise for the Lola album, which reviewers tend stupidly to call "uneven." It's by turns poignant (Get Back in Line, This Time Tomorrow), rocking (Rats, Powerman) and hysterically funny (Denmark Street, Top of the Pops, the Moneygoround, which actually names their managers.)

Dave Davies wrote perhaps his best song ever about his relationship with Ray (Strangers), and not to be one-upped, Ray countered with an even better one on the same subject (A Long Way from Home).

Then you've got Lola and Apeman, two of their best singles ever. An embarrassment of riches, I say!
June 22nd, 2005 12:57 PM
The_Worst
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Same here!

Yep. He wouldn't shut his trap. But that's the "beauty" of those VH1 albums, right? Just look at Ringo's.

And The Floydsters too?

Definitely. From their mid-to-late period, I'd rescue State Of Confusion, Everybody's In Show-Biz and One For The Road (a live record) - they're hardly essential (the studio albums), as the filler percentage increases, but they're charming. I don't have To The Bone, but judging from the tracklist and from the tunes that I've heard, it seems like one of those (fair) "Greatest Hits Live" records.

Schoolboys In Disgrace, Sleepwalker and Low Budget aren't masterpieces but, IMO, are a tad more entertaining than Misfits (probably one of their most boring albums, in spite of the title track). But Face To Face is part of the golden era, so you can hardly go wrong.

The Great Lost Kinks Album (a bootleg) is a must-have. (I've the one where the cover depicts a bunch of small "lost" people, in a city, with their mouths open.) I mean, who can resist lyrics such as: "Your clothes are old-fashioned/Your knuckles are bony/Your hair looks a terrible sight/But I don't have to see you/The way that you are/When I turn off the living room light"?

I'd recommend staying away from the Preservation series (especially "Act I"). ("Sweet Lady Genevieve", "Mirror Of Love" and - pretending you've never heard any of their sixties stuff - "Sitting In The Midday Sun" are decent enough, but: "He's evil"?, "One Of The Survivors"?, "Artificial Man"? - yuck).
[Edited by MrPleasant]

I think "To the bone" is a great album as are State of Confusion & Low Budget. They have an early 80's feel to them (I know Low Budget is actually 79) but they are fun records. I quite enjoy Schoolboys in Disgrace. As for Preservation, I like Act 1 more than Act 2. In Act 2 there is a little too much dialgogue but it actually makes it quite funny. Misfits is a little mellower than some of their other albums but they have some great tunes on there...Love "Out of the Wardrobe", "Black Messiah", "In a Foreign Land", Dav'e "Trust Your Heart"...Hell they are all good!!

The real question is..."Where have all the good times gone?"
June 22nd, 2005 03:44 PM
glencar So the Kinks might tour?
June 22nd, 2005 06:23 PM
MrPleasant Zack, I sent you a PM. (Let me know if you received one from me).
June 22nd, 2005 07:00 PM
Nasty Habits MrPleasant, I never would have guessed you were a Kinks fan!

I don't really like One for the Road myself - I hate that big 80s arena sound on the Kinks, who are to me the essence of theater rock. Much better is the excellent and powerful LIVE: THE ROAD, wherein most of the really good songs from their 80s record exceed their studio origins by a long shot. A really good record.

Off the Bone is actually pretty darn good, but I like LIVE: THE ROAD better.

Great Lost Kinks Album was a real record. The NEW Great Lost Kinks Album is the bootleg. Can't beat This Man He Sleeps Tonight either way.

June 22nd, 2005 08:15 PM
MrPleasant I see now: although both have common tracks, there are clear differences between The Great Lost Kinks Album (1973) and the 2000 bootleg - the former being a regular release. (I suppose: a Reprise record.) Thanks, Nasty!

I love "The Road" - the song - so I guess I'll just have to give the album a try.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)