ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Fleabit Peanut
Monkey was here babies!
Spectrum Arena, Philadelphia - Today 30 years ago
Đ 1975 FPM C10
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fender Versus Gibson? Return to archive
June 17th, 2005 07:20 AM
Zeeta Gibson:
'lectric in this case...

Gibson:

Les Pauls
SGs (awesome)
Flying V
Firebird
Special (very awesome) a la Keith in Respectable video

Fender:

Strat
Jaguar
Telecaster (mint!)
Jazzmaster

I prefer both the look and sound of a gibson, yet own a naff Strat. Although I am swayed by the Jaguar and the telecaster yet not enough to plump for Fender!

Would Tele's actually be cool unless Keith played them? I'm unsure?

Having recently played on a mate's Gibson Les Paul Custom - I'm Gibson all they way! Even when you make a mistake - it STILL sounds good.

Obviously there's a time and a place for each guitar but on the whole - Gibson!

Your musings please

June 17th, 2005 07:44 AM
Voodoo Scrounge Quite keen on Grestch semi accoustics.
Also have a Stagemaster. Great sounding and cheap. Cost me about Ģ300.
[Edited by Voodoo Scrounge]
June 17th, 2005 08:15 AM
J.J.Flash Poor Jay only owns a stratocaster (not an original Fender, but absolutely with a beatiful final touch and incredible feedback).

Playing along with a friend who owns a Les Paul replica, I've finally killed my anxiety of playing that beatiful instrument which I always found myself amazed by its fat sonority. But then, I also noticed that a Stratocaster can be way more versatile, I mean, I've noticed amost anything someone plays in a Les Paul will surely sound good if played in a Stratocaster. But the contrary isn't the same.

Of course I'm dying to have both guitars, a Les Paul and keep my old stratocaster.
June 17th, 2005 08:19 AM
Blind Dog McGhee Have one Gibby you dont have on your list. Only have fake Fenders but want a real strat. Yes, teles are cool, check out other masters of the telecaster. I want, I want, I want but I don't really need.
June 17th, 2005 08:26 AM
Zeeta ..of course it could be like comparing apples and pears?!

However, I'm comparing them and prefer Gibsons.

Blind Dog - what guitar do you have not on my Gibby list?
June 17th, 2005 08:39 AM
scratched As your main guitar, I would definitely suggest getting a Gibson. They are beautiful to look at and play and the raunchy sound is most satisfying! As you say, you already have a Strat copy so that sort of covers the Fender sound. I got a Les Paul Goldtop as my main 'warhorse' years ago and after a while decided I needed something with a little more high end and less bottom so I got a '52 Tele Reissue. I use both regularly and do not see one as better than the other - they are both so different.

Not sure about the Jaguar/Jazzmaster - they seem to have a bit of a weedy sound (but quite a pleasant one). Any of the Gibsons you mentioned are hard to choose between - they're all cool as fuck!

I agree, I think Keith did definitely popularise the Tele as a rock 'n' roll instrument somewhat and maybe wouldn't be quite as 'cool' these days without his influence.
June 17th, 2005 11:32 AM
Phog I'm a Fender devotee, but still love Gibsons. Telecasters are great guitars. Period. I find them very versatile.

Both companies make budget guitars (Gibson/Epiphone-Fender/Squire) that are pretty reasonable.
June 17th, 2005 12:00 PM
Soulgolem +1 on Fenders ! Love Gibson, but not enough twangyness in them, and my rock and roll is all about twang ! Tho' i own a '58 type flying V which i love for funk and reggae. But i know my Telecaster would do an equal job on that so...

Francis.
June 17th, 2005 12:16 PM
J.J.Flash
quote:
Phog wrote:
I'm a Fender devotee, but still love Gibsons. Telecasters are great guitars. Period. I find them very versatile.

Both companies make budget guitars (Gibson/Epiphone-Fender/Squire) that are pretty reasonable.

Epiphone is ok for a cheaper version of Gibson, but Squier doesn't stand for the the same level of quality IMHFO
June 17th, 2005 12:30 PM
CraigP Telecasters are beautiful guitars. I own a 1999 American Fender Telecaster. It would be the same guitar whether Keith played it or not. Also, it is likely to be a damn good axe because it's his guitar of choice. I like Gibsons also.
June 17th, 2005 04:25 PM
FPM C10 In the case of Fender v. Gibson, I would never want to choose between the two. Most bands I love deploy an array of both brands depending upon the song, none more skillfully than the Stones. Keith's main axe IS the tele, but for Midnight Rambler he breaks out a beautiful Les Paul Jr. (TV model I believe?), and he recorded the guitar solo in "Sympathy For The Devil" on that black 3-pickup Les Paul.
The combinations offered by the two brands woven together are endless.

I guess if I HAD to pick just ONE guitar it would be a strat. A lot of variety offered between the three pickups.

I just love guitars in general, speaking aesthetically and as a listener. I play bass myself, and use a Rickenbacker with a lot of the high end rolled back so it doesn't sound like Chris Squire. It really doesn't sound like a Rick at ALL which is good for most of the stuff I play (Blues & Stones for instance)

As for the question of whether or not telecasters would be cool without Keith's lifelong endorsement, well, there's a few other enthusiasts I can think of who are pretty doggone cool too; for instance:

It doesn't get a whole lot cooler than that.

June 17th, 2005 04:32 PM
Joey
quote:
Phog wrote:
I'm a Fender devotee, but still love Gibsons. Telecasters are great guitars. Period. I find them very versatile.

June 17th, 2005 05:06 PM
z Don't forget that most of Keith's Teles have a humbucker installed in the neck position. so it's not exactly the pure Fender sound.
June 17th, 2005 06:09 PM
Blind Dog McGhee
quote:
z wrote:
Don't forget that most of Keith's Teles have a humbucker installed in the neck position. so it's not exactly the pure Fender sound.

yeah, that's just not right. those thinlines look nice but they've got em too. I hate seeing the humbucker in strats also.

d'oh
[Edited by Blind Dog McGhee]
June 17th, 2005 08:05 PM
Soldatti In Keith words, September 1997: "For some songs Gibson, and for other songs Fender..."
June 18th, 2005 12:54 AM
Poplar
You neglected to mention the Explorer.

but i play a Tele ... proudly.
June 18th, 2005 06:28 AM
Mathijs >Special (very awesome) a la Keith in Respectable video

Actually, Keith plays a very cheap Melody Maker, a cheap students version of the SG.

There's no way you can choose between Fender and Gibson. Soundwise you can make a Tele sound like a LP (the first two albums of Led Zep is Tele all the way, but it sounds huge), and all guitars have their own benefits. My Historic Reissue 1959 Gibson LP has the smoothest action available, and is perfectly fit for sustained solo-ing, but clean sounds are not on par with for example my 1954 Strat, which has the most beautiful clean sound available. For real raunch I play a 1977 Tele, excellent for driving rythm and raunchy solo's, but when you need precision for long, more difficult solo'ing the action is just too stiff. So, you need them all! Add a LP Junior for the P90 and a Gretsch 6120 for the looks, and you will be for ever in guitar heaven.

Mathijs
June 18th, 2005 07:59 AM
John Wood I have a 99 American Tele and a newer Epiphone Les Paul different guitars for sure but still can't decide which I like better. Now maybe if I could afford a Gibson Les Paul??!!
June 18th, 2005 08:39 AM
corgi37 Well, i cant afford either. I have a strat copy and a Epiphone SG.

Though, i have played a genuine strat a few times.

SG easily.
June 18th, 2005 10:13 AM
Honky Tonk Man I don't like the Fender Stratocaster. It's the clean sound which puts me off. I like a rauncy and thick guitar sound. I'd plug for a Gibson Les Paul.

June 18th, 2005 10:16 AM
HomerJRichards Love the Gibsons.
I got a Epiphone Gibson LP 100 - Black with white scratch plate, twin humbuckers, not as good as the real deal but good enough for a guitar hack like me.

Not a big fan of the Fender Strats but i really like the Tele's. Roy Buchanan was the master on the Tele.
June 18th, 2005 10:25 AM
polksalad69
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I don't like the Fender Stratocaster. It's the clean sound which puts me off. I like a rauncy and thick guitar sound. I'd plug for a Gibson Les Paul.

Did someone say raunchy? Hot damn, Jon Dee Graham has the best tone out of a strat since SRV.

June 19th, 2005 11:27 PM
texile i had a blond 72 tele custom i got for $500 in 88 and i loved the shit out of it......it got stolen, something that hurts to this DAY. when i got it - they were the cheapest old teles you could get, but now they're considered vintage and out of my price range....found an affordable vintage jazzmaster that had been rebuilt by some idiot - a 62 body on a 67 neck....it was beautiful but would not stay in tune so i traded it for a 99 fat tele - i love it.
soulgolem said it - fenders (especially fat teles) have that twang without losing the heavy bottom with the right amp.
i used to play mine through a super reverb fender amp, then a twin - in a club, it sounded like shit because of the twanginess...too thin;
i swore i'd never stray from fender but my friend hooked me on marshall, and i will play teles till i die.
never liked strats - the body is too awkward...the weight seems unbalanced; the only gibson electric i like playing is the sg - very versatile....i'd take a gibson over a strat any day but they're fucking heavy.....and i'm a girl so....
for acoustic - i got my treasure, a 72 gibson hummingbird....noone can touch a gibson acoustic guitar - fuck martin.
question - my 14 yr old neice has a cheap washburn acoustic but wants to upgrade: what is a good acoustic but not gibson or martin - those are dream guitars - she just needs something good and solid right now to keep learning on.....
any names: anybody know anything about yamaha?
are they good?
June 20th, 2005 05:11 AM
Zeeta
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:

As for the question of whether or not telecasters would be cool without Keith's lifelong endorsement, well, there's a few other enthusiasts I can think of who are pretty doggone cool too; for instance:

It doesn't get a whole lot cooler than that.

Jesus man you can't get ANY cooler than that! ever..

I love the way Joe fucked up his guitars by "decorating" them!
June 20th, 2005 07:49 AM
Javi I have now a black/maple fingerboard 72 Tele Custom mexican reissue and i love it.I also played sometimes a natural 73īs original telecaster with rosewood fingerboard,early white 90īs mexican telecaster with maple fingerboard and an american 98 Strat and i love all of them like my tele,but i recently played a SG standard from 2000 and i hate it.Itīs so cute and have much sounding but isnīt comfortable for me so........i preffer fenders at the momente(i want to try some es 335 )
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)