ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Fleabit Peanut
Monkey was here babies!
Spectrum Arena, Philadelphia - Today 30 years ago
© 1975 FPM C10
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: I Have a Dream .......... ( N.S.C. ) Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
June 16th, 2005 01:10 PM
Sway Depression in Lawyers:

If a lawyer has a "blue" mood that lasts for more than two weeks and experiences any of the following symptoms, it is likely that person is having an episode of depression. The symptoms include:

A change in appetite (eating too much or too little).
Problems with sleep (either insomnia or sleeping longer than usual).
A loss of interest or pleasures. (It may take a form of withdrawing from family or neglecting formerly enjoyed hobbies.)
The inability to sit still, pacing or hand-wringing ("agitation"). Or slowed speech, increased pauses before answering a question, monotonous speech, slow body movements or an overall decrease in energy level ("retardation").
A sense of worthlessness or feelings of inadequacy, and other forms of negative thinking, including inappropriate guilt.
Recurring thoughts of death and/or suicide.
Difficulty concentrating, slow thinking, indecisiveness (the smallest task may seem difficult or impossible to accomplish).
Memory difficulty and easy distraction.
Fatigue.
Episodes of clinical depression may last from six months to two years if left untreated. Most health care professionals believe that stress and genetics play an important role in the onset of depression even though they have been unable to pinpoint the cause of it.
Professional influences
Let's look at the law-related stressors. A few years ago, Standish McCleary, a lawyer-turned psychologist (with a Ph.D.), and I presented a program on stress management and burnout, and identified some of the reasons why lawyers are above the norm for depression. The stressors identified are:

Time constraints and deadlines..
The high stakes involved, including a loss of property, freedom and even life.
The high expectations of expertise.
The constant scrutiny and critical judgment of our work from opposing counsel or the courts.
The legal process in general, which is inherently conflict-driven. An opposing counsel is always determined to prove us wrong.
The threat of malpractice, Murphy's Law, and CYB (cover your backside) from other lawyers and even our own clients.
A tendency to assume the clients' burdens.
The demise of professional cordiality and camaraderie.
The contrast between effective advocacy and personal relationships. While lawyers are trained to be aggressive, judgmental, intellectual, emotionally defended or withdrawn, and while that style may have practical value, it may not be popular outside the arena of the legal case.
The professional training that requires us to notice and anticipate the negative and the downside in all situations.
The group norms or culture in the law firm, which carries certain expectations, including high billable hours. On top of work obligations come CLE requirements, bar activities and community service work--all expected from the "good" lawyers.
The depletion of energy that comes from high demands, strong focus and the need to stay on task.
Frequent use of defense mechanisms--such as rigidity, compulsiveness, and perfectionism. (See "The depressing nature of the law: Is law hazardous to your health?", page 14.)
Burnout
Continued high levels of stress over a long period of time, without adequate coping strategies, can lead to burnout. Burnout is nothing more than a form of depression. It has been defined as a type of depression characterized by apathy, negative feelings about the job, declining productivity, increased illness, and difficulty in personal relationships. Sometimes it includes an increase in substance abuse.
Everyone occasionally feels frustrated, depressed and dissatisfied. But when someone experiences depression or burnout, these negative emotions become chronic and last for weeks or months. There is only so much psychological energy to get us through the day, and our work may completely deplete us of this energy. When this happens, our work performance is further reduced in terms of quality and quantity. The lack of emotional energy makes it harder to deal with our personal relationships and we may become frustrated and easily angered with family and friends. Lawyers experiencing burnout may find themselves wondering "why bother?" about work that previously invigorated them. Even the word, burnout, implies that at one time they were on fire, but the flame has now flickered.

Burnout has been called a "romantic disorder" because it is characteristic of a work ethic admired in our culture. Long hours and a selfless dedication to work--to the exclusion of self-care--can lead to burnout. In the North Carolina bar survey, it is noteworthy that 36 percent of lawyers surveyed in North Carolina had not taken even a one-week vacation in the year prior to the survey. Learning how to manage stress and take care of ourselves is critical to preventing burnout. This, in turn, can help minimize the effects of depression.

Alcohol abuse
There is a definite relationship between alcohol and depression. Alcohol is a drug that operates as a central nervous system depressant, and approximately 30 percent of all depression cases are alcohol induced. When the lawyer stops drinking and remains sober for an extended period, depression disappears. When depression is the presenting problem, it is important that a trained professional evaluate the lawyer for alcohol or chemical dependency.

Studies in both Washington and Arizona show that lawyers suffer from a higher rate of alcoholism than the general population. While approximately 10 percent of the population suffers from alcoholism, the number jumps to almost 20 percent in the legal profession, or one in five lawyers. This higher rate of alcoholism in lawyers also explains the higher rate of clinical depression.

June 16th, 2005 01:11 PM
telecaster 2500 years ago, the Buddha sat under a tree outside a small town in Northern India and achieved enlightenment. In the twenty-five centuries since, Buddhists have developed innumerable meditation systems based on his earth-shaking experience. The most difficult and effective, Tibetans say, are found in books called tantras.
The tantras describe not just one Buddha, but thousands. Tibetans believe that every living being has the potential to achieve enlightenment. The vast number of tantric deities reflect the infinite variety of human temperaments and cultural conditions. Focusing on his or her own potential for enlightenment, a tantric meditator visualizes that he or she is one of these Buddhas. Such a Buddha is called a yidam, tutelary or archetype deity. By harnessing one’s own self-image through mediating on a yidam, the tantric path aims at turning the deepest recesses of the psyche into an engine of enlightenment. Tampering with the foundation of the psyche can be dangerous, though – Tibetans do not practice tantric meditation without the guidance of an accomplished teacher. Training such highly skilled professionals, in fact, is the central goal of Gyuto Tantric University.
June 16th, 2005 01:12 PM
parmeda tele...wtf?

you need a fucking drink, babe!
June 16th, 2005 01:14 PM
jb
quote:
parmeda wrote:
tele...wtf?

Tele is no longer my friend Pam......I shall not greet him this tour. Also, as I PM'ed you, sorry about humiliating the Cubs.
June 16th, 2005 01:15 PM
telecaster
quote:
parmeda wrote:
tele...wtf?

Hey! If we have to wade through 50,000 photos of pugs we can sure suffer through this. This info is as relevant to The Stones as what has been posted here lately:

As predators, northern pike can have significant impact on their prey species. As with muskies, pike lurk in the cover of vegetation in the lake’s clear, shallow, warm waters near shore, although they retreat somewhat deeper in midsummer. Pike consume large numbers of smaller fish – about 90 percent of their diet – but seem willing to supplement their diet with any living creature their huge jaws can surround, including frogs, crayfish, waterfowl, rodents, and other small mammals. Their preferred food size is approximately one third to one half the size of the pike itself.

Great Lakes pike spawn in the shallows in April or May, right after the ice leaves, and before muskies reproduce. As a result of their eating habits, young pike grow rapidly in both length and weight. Females become sexually mature at age three or four years, and males at two to three years. Beyond sexual maturity, pike continue to gain weight, although more slowly. Great Lakes pike have an average life span of 10 to 12 years.

Pike eggs and new hatchlings (which stay inactive, attached to vegetation for their first few days of life) fall prey in large numbers to larger pike, perch, minnows, waterfowl, water mammals, and even some insects. Larger pike have two primary enemies – lampreys, and man. Spawning adult northern pike, exposing themselves recklessly in the shallows, are vulnerable to bears, dogs, and other large carnivores
June 16th, 2005 01:18 PM
parmeda
quote:
jb wrote:
Tele is no longer my friend Pam......I shall not greet him this tour. Also, as I PM'ed you, sorry about humiliating the Cubs.

One day!

Only one day Josh, and tele's not your friend anymore?

...there goes the neighborhood for cryin' out loud!

And for the record, YOU could never humiliate my Cubbies...the Marlins on the other hand, totally different story. But, I'm glad we gave you guys a beating first!

Sooooooooooo.............................ha!
June 16th, 2005 01:19 PM
Sway [quote]jb wrote:

DEMOCRACY IS NOT DYING, DEMOCRATS ARE

It’s funny how when Democrats controlled both houses of congress, the presidency, by proxy the judiciary, and the majority of state governiships and legislatures…you didn’t hear conservatives and Republicans whining about the death of democracy. What happend was the Republican party began selling it’s message to the people. The people responsed. Republicans and conservative ideas have won majority control in the last few elections because they are in tune with the majority of the electorate. (Don’t start the whining about stealing the election, it just sounds stupid!)

Republican victories are not symptomatic of democracy in it’s dying moment, that is democracy thriving! The Democratic party, now controlled by the extreme left and it’s liberal platforms are out of step with the majority of Americans. They refuse to accept it and they are dying because of it.

The only branch of government that needs checking is the judiciary. Activist judges, who were appointed and approved by liberal Democrats AND NOT FILIBUSTERED BY REPUBLICAN MINORITIES, are establishing an oligarchy of power by making law from the bench. Appointment and not election is the only method by which liberal ideas, which don’t stand up to debate or the approval of most Americans, can become law.

Why was it wrong, Jack, for congress to debate and even legislate on the Shivo case? Isnt’ that what we elect our leaders to do? It is their job to make laws that address our cultural and societal needs. Judges are to determine whether or not those laws are being broken or enforced properly. Because liberals can’t convince the people to give them the power to create their idea of America through legislative action, they use activist judges to go beyond interpretation and into creation. The Shivo case is a perfect example of why we ELECT leaders to make law. They represent our “majority beleifs” and legislate accordingly. When the law is made through legislation it is a direct reflection of the peoples will, demonstrated by their vote.

Case in point, the 200o election debacle. The law in Florida, written by the people in it’s constitution through elected representatvies, was ignored by an appointed, liberal-leaning, Florida court. The United States Supreme Court said the Florida and U.S. constitutions were clear on the the law and told Florida to follow the clearly written law and move on! Even the dissenters on the Supreme Court didn’t argue against that. They argued that the needs of the electorate in this special circumstance needed to be addressed through the judiciary. Hogwash! The law was written. If you don’t like the way it deals a hand to you in this election, suck it up, move on and try to get it changed. HAVE YOU HEARD OF ANY LEGISLATION IN FLORIDA OR THE U.S. CONGRESS TRYING TO CHANGE THE ELECTION LAWS AS IT PERTAINS TO JUDICIAL REVIEW?

Sore losers!

Democracy is not dying. Democracy is winning. Democrats and liberals are losing, their stranglehold on the media and governmental power are dying and they can’t stand it.

June 16th, 2005 01:19 PM
parmeda
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Hey! If we have to wade through 50,000 photos of pugs we can sure suffer through this. This info is as relevant to The Stones as what has been posted here lately:

lmao...whatever!

btw...what are you doing on your birthday?

I have a plan!
June 16th, 2005 01:20 PM
sirmoonie What happened to www.maxlugar.com?

We've been hit! We've been hit! Save the bombardier! Save the bombardier!
June 16th, 2005 01:21 PM
Sway
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is an anxiety disorder where a person has recurrent and unwanted ideas or impulses (called obsessions) and an urge or compulsion to do something to relieve the discomfort caused by the obsession. The obsessive thoughts range from the idea of losing control, to themes surrounding religion or keeping things or parts of one's body clean all the time. Compulsions are behaviors that help reduce the anxiety surrounding the obsessions. Most people (90%) who have OCD have both obsessions and compulsions. The thoughts and behaviors a person with OCD has are senseless, repetitive, distressing, and sometimes harmful, but they are also difficult to overcome.

OCD is more common than schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, or panic disorder, according to the National Institute of Mental Health. Yet, it is still commonly overlooked by mental health professionals, mental health advocacy groups, and people who themselves have the problem.

Many people still carry the misperception that they somehow caused themselves to have these compulsive behaviors and obsessive thoughts. Nothing could be further from the truth. OCD is likely the cause of a number of intertwined and complex factors which include genetics, biology, personality development, and how a person learns to react to the environment around them. What scientists today do know is that it is not a sign of a character flaw or a personal weakness. OCD is a serious mental disorder, which is more treatable than ever. Without the appropriate treatment, it affects a person's ability to function in every day activities, one's work, one's family, and one's social life.
June 16th, 2005 01:22 PM
jb
quote:
parmeda wrote:

One day!

Only one day Josh, and tele's not your friend anymore?

...there goes the neighborhood for cryin' out loud!

And for the record, YOU could never humiliate my Cubbies...the Marlins on the other hand, totally different story. But, I'm glad we gave you guys a beating first!

Sooooooooooo.............................ha!

Pam, I have not posted here in months, and this is what I am greeted with. Why does he do this, why?
I think since I stated that Soldiers Field and UC were not sold out, things went south...........Well, at least there is the Lotus.
By the way, I like the Cubs...Just not when they play the Fish. On the otherhand, Voodoopug despises the Cubs and Love the White-soxs
[Edited by jb]
June 16th, 2005 01:25 PM
FPM C10
quote:
telecaster wrote:
2500 years ago, the Buddha sat under a tree outside a small town in Northern India and achieved enlightenment. In the twenty-five centuries since, Buddhists have developed innumerable meditation systems based on his earth-shaking experience. The most difficult and effective, Tibetans say, are found in books called tantras.
The tantras describe not just one Buddha, but thousands. Tibetans believe that every living being has the potential to achieve enlightenment. The vast number of tantric deities reflect the infinite variety of human temperaments and cultural conditions. Focusing on his or her own potential for enlightenment, a tantric meditator visualizes that he or she is one of these Buddhas. Such a Buddha is called a yidam, tutelary or archetype deity. By harnessing one’s own self-image through mediating on a yidam, the tantric path aims at turning the deepest recesses of the psyche into an engine of enlightenment. Tampering with the foundation of the psyche can be dangerous, though – Tibetans do not practice tantric meditation without the guidance of an accomplished teacher. Training such highly skilled professionals, in fact, is the central goal of Gyuto Tantric University.

(note: please substitute the words "big & tall" for "small furry")
June 16th, 2005 01:27 PM
telecaster
quote:
parmeda wrote:

lmao...whatever!

btw...what are you doing on your birthday?

I have a plan!

Not sure yet, I bet I would like your plan

I am right down the street from you now!

Cocktails tomorrow?
June 16th, 2005 01:28 PM
parmeda
quote:
jb wrote:
Pam, I have not posted here in months, and this is what I am greeted with. Why does he do this, why?
I think since I stated that Soldiers Field and UC were not sold out, things went south...........Well, at least there is the Lotus.
By the way, I like the Cubs...Just not when they play the Fish. On the otherhand, Voodoopug despises the Cubs and Love the White-soxs

I hate to break the sad news and disappoint you, jb...but Chicago is sold out. Deal with it.

I'm pleased to hear you like the Cubs!
Come on up here and I'll take you to the bleachers...life as you know it, will come to a sudden halt, lmao

As for pug...he needs an intervention, quickly...I shall work on him
June 16th, 2005 01:28 PM
telecaster The Pug breed has a long, dignified history. Its charming features have been portrayed on some famous paintings. For example, William Hogarth's painting in 1730 of a black pug in "House of Cards." William Hogarth was an owner of pugs and used them many times in his paintings. The pug has flourished true to breed from before 400 B.C. It is believed that this breed of dog had its origins in China. The Chinese, when overseeing a breeding or whelping, would specifically look for either wrinkles or coat markings that would form characters from the chinese language. The Pug's forehead wrinkles would be checked for the formation of the "W" shape, which resembles the Chinese character for "Prince." The development of the Pug as a breed is shrouded in oriental mystery and speculation. What is known is that the Pug became beloved companions of royalty. It is believed that the sailors from the Dutch East India Company were the first to bring the Pug to Holland. The saying, "Multo in Parvo" ("a lot of dog in a small space") certainly does apply to this dog. The Pug has the heart and soul of a canine many times its size.
A story published in 1618, in Sir Roger William's "Action in the Low Countries", tells of an incident involving a beloved Pug belonging to William the Silent of Holland's House of Orange. It is believed the incident occurred sometime between 1571 and 1573, during a time of war between the Dutch and the Spaniards. The occasion was a suprise Spanish attack on the Dutch camp. The Pug, whose name is believed to be Pompey, awakened his master, before any of his men realized the Spaniards were attacking, by scratching, crying and leaping on Prince William the Silent's face. The Prince avoided capture and the Pug was revered throughout the kingdom. This proud little dog became the symbol of Holland's House of Orange.
One hundred years after Prince William the Silent's adventure, his great-grandson, William III and Mary II, ascended the throne of Great Britain (1688). They brought with them the family pets, the symbols of the House of Orange, the beloved Pugs. Each with an orange ribbon tied about its neck.
In time the Pug Dog became known throughout Europe. Of course, not everyone called it a Pug. Some of the other names it was known by were:
Ha Ba Gou (Old Chinese)
Mops Hond (Dutch)
Mops (Swedish)
Mopsi (Finnish)
Mops Hund (German)
Carlin, Doguin (Old French)
Carlino (Italian)
Doguillo (Spanish)
Dutch Mastiff (English)
Smutmhadra (Irish Gaelic) literally means "stumpy dog"
June 16th, 2005 01:29 PM
jb
June 16th, 2005 01:29 PM
parmeda
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Not sure yet, I bet I would like your plan

I am right down the street from you now!

Cocktails tomorrow?

omg...do you really mean it?
June 16th, 2005 01:30 PM
parmeda
quote:
jb wrote:
You need to discuss with Tele why he has turned ....

tele will be putty in my hands soon....
June 16th, 2005 01:31 PM
telecaster
quote:
parmeda wrote:

omg...do you really mean it?

Hell ya!

I am in DG right now

Let me know
June 16th, 2005 01:32 PM
jb

Pam.........your still the one!!!!
[Edited by jb]
June 16th, 2005 01:33 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:

jb congratulations on Miami being sold out

June 16th, 2005 01:34 PM
jb
quote:
telecaster wrote:

jb congratulations on Miami being sold out

Thanks.......................hope you have decided to calm down...I was expecting a much nicer greeting.
June 16th, 2005 01:35 PM
Sway Smelly Hippies!
June 16th, 2005 01:36 PM
voodoopug SOrry Parmy! I will happily greet you, and offer a hug on July 2! but i will crack cubs jokes in your way. Being that you are from the western burbs, i understand you support of the cubbie blue, i just wish you handn't drank the cubbie kool aide each year. Their ownership is horrific, an embarrassment to baseball fans. They do not care about their fans, only their money (see the 2003 attempt to scalp their own tickets). White Sox fans, while fewer in number, are loyal to the team and not afraid to call out stupid team maneuvers (see signing of David Wells 2001). I look forward to meeting you, and would even love to join you in the bleachers (US Cellular Field is not safe) as i do know a historic ballpark when i see one.

I cannot fathom why tele has turned his offerings of goodwill to offerings of hate in my direction...i asked for his friendship.

joshy tells me the scalp twitching is at an all time high today, he blames tele.
parmeda
quote:
telecaster wrote:
Hell ya!

I am in DG right now

Let me know

Whoa!...you're in my fricken backyard!

I have to head that way in the late afternoon anyway...perfect timing, maybe?

I will PM you with the essentials soon
LadyJane
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Hell ya!

I am in DG right now

Let me know

For God's sake will you two PLEASE meet and start planning the Summit???? Do I have to fly to Chicago and drag you both to a bar (you know I will)

LJ.
June 16th, 2005 01:37 PM
FPM C10
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
What happened to www.maxlugar.com?

We've been hit! We've been hit! Save the bombardier! Save the bombardier!

Somebody better call Superman !!!

His flamboyantly gay sidekick F*cking Andy will know where to find him!

Hey...have you ever noticed that you NEVER see SuperFiji and F'in' Andy at the same time??

Odd!
June 16th, 2005 01:39 PM
voodoopug FPM proving me right by promoting him with each post....on fire baby!!!!!!!
June 16th, 2005 01:39 PM
parmeda pug...it will be a sheer pleasure to meet you July 2nd. Do not fret..you will spot me out of hundreds.

I shall be wearing Cubbie Blue

I shall also slap tele back into formation...and he will enjoy it!

June 16th, 2005 01:41 PM
parmeda
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
For God's sake will you two PLEASE meet and start planning the Summit???? Do I have to fly to Chicago and drag you both to a bar (you know I will)

LJ.

Two words....

"Cell Phone"
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)