ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Special thanks to Angie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Glitter's Anthem Pulled From US Football Stadiums (NSC) Return to archive
21st June 2006 09:26 PM
Ten Thousand Motels GLITTER'S ANTHEM PULLED FROM US FOOTBALL STADIUMS

Disgraced British rocker GARY GLITTER's sports anthem ROCK + ROLL PART 2 is to be removed from the playlists at America's football stadiums following protests from fans.

National Football League (NFL) officials have chosen to advise all teams to cease playing the tune after learning the song's 62-year-old author is a convicted paedophile. Glitter, real name PAUL FRANCIS GADD, is currently serving a three-year sentence in a Vietnamese prison after being found guilty of child molestation.

Rock + Roll Part 2, which was written in 1972, has become a familiar anthem at sports stadiums across America. NFL officials hope the governing bodies of other sports like baseball and basketball follow their lead and ban the song.

22/06/2006 01:43
contacctmusic.com

21st June 2006 09:38 PM
Spru Absolute fucking bullshit. Legendary song, which, as a lifelong Pittsburgh Penguins fan, reminds me of the days of Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, and co. running circles around other teams on the way to back-to-back Cups in '91-'92. These uptight politically correct fuckers that pulled this song are exactly what's wrong with society. Who cares what the dude does? He still has a great tune that deserves to be played, as it has for the last 30 years.
21st June 2006 09:52 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Spru wrote:
Absolute fucking bullshit. Legendary song, which, as a lifelong Pittsburgh Penguins fan, reminds me of the days of Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, and co. running circles around other teams on the way to back-to-back Cups in '91-'92. These uptight politically correct fuckers that pulled this song are exactly what's wrong with society. Who cares what the dude does? He still has a great tune that deserves to be played, as it has for the last 30 years.

The NFL seems to be concerned that someone might get offended.
22nd June 2006 09:53 AM
Jerry in Boston
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

The NFL seems to be concerned that someone might get offended.

So do we ban "Start me up" because Keith was once addicted to heroin?

Do we ban "Rock and Roll All Nite" because someone really does think that KISS worships the devil?

Do we ban "We will rock you" because Freddie died of aids more than likely contracted from gay sex?

I'd bet there are some wing nuts who might complain about the playing of those songs now that they've successfully had the Glitter song pulled. Once you cave and let the ball start rolling who determines when it stops?

Seriously, how many thousands of nearly drunk people in those stadiums have even heard of a guy named Gary Glitter? What's more, how many of them even know that song was a real song and not just some made-up sporting event jingle? Precious few in this day and age I suspect.**

So do we now have to monitor all music stylists' lives of the past 40 years to determine if we can in fact play and enjoy a 30 year old tune at a public event? Do we ban songs in public from performers who are known to advocate gay or abortion rights, or are known drug addicts, or are known to have broken the law, or have alternative political views?

Yes, all of that's extreme but I think that if momentum is gained by giving a finger today they will try to take the whole hand tomorrow. Yes, Glitter did a bad thing, a very bad thing, but does his crime negate the 30+ years of fun everyone has enjoyed by chanting to his song at sporting events? Nope! It's just a song dammit and most people probably don't even know he wrote it!**

** I should point out that I mean fans in American football stadiums.
[Edited by Jerry in Boston]
22nd June 2006 10:27 AM
Voodoo Scrounge At the end of the day. Gary Glitter is a very sick man who deserves to be where he is now.

But you have to realise that he was one of the most successful glam artists of all time.

He had various hits and some of them are still sampled and played today.

My dad tells me that whenever he held a party and the guests started to lagg a little bit. He would put on a bit of gary glitter and the place would come alive
22nd June 2006 10:55 AM
gimmekeef Glitter is one sick turd..but The No Fun League shouldnt be enforcing musical censorship ...
22nd June 2006 01:35 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
GLITTER'S ANTHEM PULLED FROM US FOOTBALL STADIUMS

Disgraced British rocker GARY GLITTER's sports anthem ROCK + ROLL PART 2 is to be removed from the playlists at America's football stadiums following protests from fans.

National Football League (NFL) officials have chosen to advise all teams to cease playing the tune after learning the song's 62-year-old author is a convicted paedophile. Glitter, real name PAUL FRANCIS GADD, is currently serving a three-year sentence in a Vietnamese prison after being found guilty of child molestation.

Rock + Roll Part 2, which was written in 1972, has become a familiar anthem at sports stadiums across America. NFL officials hope the governing bodies of other sports like baseball and basketball follow their lead and ban the song.

22/06/2006 01:43
contacctmusic.com

IT'S PLAYED LOUDLY AT NAMBLA MEETINGS..ALONG WITH "ROUGH BOYS" AND "A FRIEND IS A FRIEND".
[Edited by BILL PERKS]
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)