ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

Đ Special thanks to Angie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The official ROCKS OFF World Cup Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
19th June 2006 11:31 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
caro wrote:

Enfer et damnation!! (<-- means "congrats to the Swiss" in case anyone wondered)

We got to win without papy Zidane
19th June 2006 11:37 AM
gustavobala
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

zidane donīt will play?
19th June 2006 11:42 AM
caro We are fucked, Ju! France will obtain 0-0 at best against Togo, Zidane and Domenech will throw empty beer cans at each other on the substitutes' bench, and the stadium won't even be sold out!

edit: yes gustavo, since Zidane got 2 yellow cards in the last games, he can't play the next match.
[Edited by caro]
19th June 2006 11:44 AM
Gazza
quote:
gustavobala wrote:

zidane donīt will play?

Zizou is suspended as he has two yellow cards. Hopefully, France will go through - if not, we've seen him for the last time.
19th June 2006 11:49 AM
Gazza
quote:
caro wrote:
We are fucked, Ju! France will obtain 0-0 at best against Togo, Zidane and Domenech will throw empty beer cans at each other on the substitutes' bench, and the stadium won't even be sold out!

this sounds like one of jb's pessimistic statements about Stones ticket sales.

If you cant beat fuckin' TOGO, you shouldnt even be at the World Cup. I mean, come on....

A win puts France through for sure along with the winner of Switzerland/Korea. If that game ends in a draw, France have to win by two clear goals to make sure they finish above the Koreans.

FIFA World Cup : Group G Table
P W D L F A GD PTS
1 Switzerland 2 1 1 0 2 0 2 4
2 South Korea 2 1 1 0 3 2 1 4
3 France 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 2
4 Togo 2 0 0 2 1 4 -3 0

Piece of piss!
19th June 2006 11:50 AM
Gazza
quote:
Bruno wrote:
I remember seeing Jagger watching England against other team I forgot by tv in the Cup 98, it was cool

it was Argentina!!!
19th June 2006 11:58 AM
caro
quote:
Gazza wrote:
this sounds like one of jb's pessimistic statements about Stones ticket sales.

If you cant beat fuckin' TOGO, you shouldnt even be at the World Cup. I mean, come on....

It's good to see that you have more confidence in my team than I have Actually I'm not as pessimistic as I sound, just a bit frustrated because it resembles the 2002 world cup a bit too much in terms of french results...
19th June 2006 12:57 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Jumacfly wrote:

Did I mention that Holland got through to the next round after 2 wins already?

I did? Oh, sorry...

19th June 2006 01:14 PM
stewed & Keefed Togo 0-2 Switzerland

Switzerland stepped up their bid for a place in the knock-out stages and ended Togo's campaign thanks to goals from Alexander Frei and Tranquillo Barnetta.
Rennes striker Frei neatly stabbed home the unmarked Barnetta's cross from close-range after 17 minutes.

Togo were denied a decent penalty claim when Emmanuel Adebayor was chopped down and Mohammed Kader twice went close.

But despite a sustained spell of Togo pressure, Barnetta rifled in late on to send the World Cup debutants home.

After the 2-1 defeat to South Korea in their first match, the African side needed to avoid defeat in Dortmund to stand any chance of getting out of the group.

There was even a doubt before the match that the fixture would go ahead after a row over player bonuses in the Togo squad.

But despite all their off-field problems, Togo began brightly and had good chances to open the scoring.

Adebayor's headed flick fell to Kader whose neat turn failed to receive the finish it deserved and ended up in the hands of Pascal Zuberbuehler.

Kader and strike partner Adebayor continued to cause the Swiss back line problems and Adebayor felt he should have had a penalty when he appeared to be held back when heading towards goal.

But for all the Africans' endeavour in attack, their defensive frailties were soon exposed when poor marking led to Switzerland's opener.

Barnetta found himself with acres of space down the Switzerland right and he volleyed Ludovic Magnan's cross into the box for Frei to turn home from five yards.

Togo's Kader Mohamed reacts to Togo's elimination

Togo failed to wilt under the strain however and hit back with a chance of their own.

An horrific gaffe from the out-of-sorts Arsenal defender Phillipe Senderos handed Thomas Dossevi a free shot on goal, but he blazed his effort wide from close range.

As Togo searched for a way back into the match, they were denied what looked to be a certain penalty by referee Carlos Amarilla.

The Paraguayan official waved away appeals after Adebayor was scythed down by Patrick Muller and Togo would have felt hard done by going into the break a goal down.

The Swiss started the second half with more zest and Barnetta had a half volley acrobatically tipped over by Zuberbuehler while substitute Hakan Yakin sliced a long-range drive just over.

Yakin should have put the Swiss in a commanding position on 64 minutes, but his close-range shot when clean through was well palmed away by Kossi Agassi.

As Togo went in search of the vital equaliser the game became stretched, but they were kept out by a lack of quality in the final third and a resolute rearguard display.

And to compound Togo's misery, Barnetta completed Switzerland's victory with a sweet strike from just inside the penalty area on 88 minutes to send to them top of Group G.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Togo: Agassa, Nibombe, Tchangai, Toure, Agboh (Salifou 24), Dossevi (Senaya 68), Cherif-Toure (Malm 86), Romao, Forson, Adebayor, Mohamed.
Subs Not Used: Akoto, Atsou, Aziawonou, Erassa, Obilale, Olufade, Tchagnirou, Assemoassa.

Booked: Salifou, Adebayor, Romao.

Switzerland: Zuberbuhler, Muller, Philipp Degen, Senderos, Magnin, Barnetta, Vogel, Wicky, Cabanas (Streller 77), Frei (Lustrinelli 87), Gygax (Yakin 45).
Subs Not Used: Benaglio, Coltorti, David Degen, Djourou, Dzemaili, Grichting, Margairaz, Spycher, Behrami.

Booked: Vogel.

Goals: Frei 17, Barnetta 88.

Att: 65,000

Ref: Carlos Amarilla (Paraguay).

Fifa man of the match: Alex Frei

19th June 2006 02:02 PM
gustavobala uckrania 4 - 0 saudi arabia
19th June 2006 04:17 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Vamos Espaņa... ĄĄ COŅO !!

Joder hagan algo cabrones... van perdiendo 1-0

Humiliated by Tunez, hope it ends different

19th June 2006 04:30 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:
ĄĄ COŅO !!

Hey, I know that word! My mum told me I couldn't say that!

Well, 1-1, you must be happy.
So am I, as I'm going to Spain next week. PPFFFEEEWWWW!!
19th June 2006 04:33 PM
Angiegirl wow, they're scoring faster than I can type!
19th June 2006 04:36 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeees... Fuck Yeah!!! 2-1 now

Not humiliated at all
19th June 2006 04:59 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl 3-1 We're in babies!!
19th June 2006 04:59 PM
charlotte Fernado Torres must be your daddy!Good comeback!!!

[Edited by charlotte]
19th June 2006 05:34 PM
gustavobala well done spain....
19th June 2006 10:25 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Hey, I know that word! My mum told me I couldn't say that!

Well, 1-1, you must be happy.
So am I, as I'm going to Spain next week. PPFFFEEEWWWW!!

Coņo as an expresion is like saying "hell with it"
Coņo as a regular word is "cunt" (so this what you mom told you)
20th June 2006 12:08 AM
Soldatti Spain had a very tough game, but they're strong in the attack.
20th June 2006 10:29 AM
Jumacfly Join the RO league you all football fans!!
20th June 2006 10:56 AM
gustavobala i watched the VT from togo X swiss, and Carlos Amarilla STOLEN TOGO FOR 2 TIMES.....

2 PENALTYS, MOST CLEAR THAN SKY IN BRAZIL, TOGO IS OUT, BUT STOLEN, TO THIS WAY: EVERYONE CAN BE OUT!!!!!!!
20th June 2006 12:00 PM
gustavobala germany 3 - 0 ecuador

polonia 2 - 1 costa rica

1š germany 9 pts
2š ecuador 6 pts
3š polonia 3 pts
4š costa rica 0 pts
20th June 2006 12:56 PM
Angiegirl Can't wait to see if England will finally play some decent football tonight, like they should be able to do.

I say England-Sweden: 2-1.
20th June 2006 01:33 PM
stewed & Keefed Saudi Arabia 0-4 Ukraine

Ukraine put their hammering at the hands of Spain behind them by outclassing a poor Saudi Arabia side.
Ukraine were ahead inside four minutes when Mabrouk Zaid needlessly gave away a corner and Andriy Rusol bundled in.

Saudi keeper Zaid was also at fault when he slipped attempting to keep out Serhiy Rebrov's 35-yard piledriver.

Maxim Kalinichenko set up Andriy Shevchenko to head a third just after half-time and the roles were reversed for Kalinichenko to tap in a fourth.

Little went right for Ukraine on their World Cup finals debut against the Spanish.

But it was a vastly different story in Hamburg as they showed why they were the first European side to qualify for the finals.

The Saudis appeared nervous from the start, in particular Zaid, and Ukraine were not slow to take advantage.

The keeper made a hash of a goalkick to give Ukraine an early corner.

Kalinichenko curled the ball in and defender Rusol marched into the area unopposed to deflect it off his knee and through the unfortunate Zaid's legs.

Saudi Arabia seemed to struggle in the slippery conditions in Hamburg, while Ukraine found the surface to their liking with their swift, counter-attacking passing game.

Shevchenko was looking more like the striker Chelsea paid Ģ30m for and was involved more in the opening quarter of an hour than in a statuesque 90 minutes against Spain.

Ahmed Dokhi cleared a Shevchenko effort off the line, while the former AC Milan star just failed to get on the end of a Kalinichenko pass after English referee Graham Poll had unintentionally played a part in the build-up.

The closest Saudi Arabia got to a goal was when Rusol's knee almost scored at the wrong end, but the defender will have been relieved to see his mis-hit clearance flash past the post.

Rebrov fired in a second goal shortly before the interval.

Ukraine went ahead after just four minutes
Anatoliy Tymoschuk rolled the ball into the feet of the former Spurs and West Ham forward and he was given space to turn.

He showed no hesitation in hitting a fine strike that flew into the corner, although there was more questionable goalkeeping from Zaid who slipped as he tried to get across to the shot.

Zaid's performance seemed all the more bizarre with Mohammed Al Daeyea - he of the world-record 181 caps - sitting on the bench.

Any hope of the Saudis launching another second half comeback lasted less than a minute of the second period.

Another pin-point centre from Kalinichenko saw Shevchenko open his World Cup finals account with a simple header.

Kalinichenko was denied a deserved goal when he hit the bar with a shot, but six minutes from time he put their goal difference back on level terms when he sidefooted home from a Shevchenko centre.

The win puts Ukraine's qualification hopes back on track and victory over Tunisia in their final game will ensure their progress to the knock-out stages.

Saudi Arabia will have to beat Spain to have any hope of going through, and on this performance they can now start preparing for their flight home.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saudi Arabia: Zaid, Dokhi (Khathran 55), Tukar, Al Montashari, Sulimani, Al Ghamdi, Ameen (Mouath 55), Noor (Al Jaber 77), Khariri, Aziz, Al Kahtani.
Subs Not Used: Al Anbar, Al Bahri, Al Daeyea, Al Harthi, Al Qadi, Al Temyat, Khojah, Massad.

Booked: Dokhi, Al Ghamdi, Khariri.

Ukraine: Shovkovskiy, Nesmachniy, Rusol, Sviderskiy, Tymoschuk, Shelayev, Gusev, Rebrov (Rotan 71), Kalinichenko, Shevchenko (Milevskiy 85), Voronin (Gusin 79).
Subs Not Used: Yatsenko, Yezerskiy, Byelik, Chigrynskiy, Nazarenko, Pyatov, Shust, Vorobey.

Booked: Nesmachniy, Kalinichenko, Sviderskiy.

Goals: Rusol 4, Rebrov 36, Shevchenko 46, Kalinichenko 84.

Att: 50,000.

Ref: Graham Poll (England).

20th June 2006 01:35 PM
stewed & Keefed Spain 3-1 Tunisia

Teenager Cesc Fabregas came off the bench to guide Spain into the last 16.
Tunisia had taken a surprise lead on eight minutes after Joahar Mnari beat Iker Casillas at the second attempt.

But on 71 minutes Ali Boumnijel spilled Fabregas' shot allowing Raul to score, with the Arsenal midfielder then setting up a goal for Fernando Torres.

The Atletico Madrid striker scored his third goal of the tournament when he won and scored a stoppage-time penalty, a spot-kick Boumnijel almost saved.

The win sent Spain to the top of Group H with six points, though Tunisia still have a chance of qualifying.

It was Spain coach Luis Aragones' decision to introduce Fabregas - the youngest Spanish player to appear in a World Cup - and striker Raul at the beginning of the second half that turned the game.

Until then Tunisia had frustrated Spain, through some clever tactics as well as brave defending, masterminded by Bolton centre-back Radhi Jaidi.

Indeed the North African side had taken the lead with their very first attack.

Torres is Germany 2006's leading goalscorer after two games

It was a goal that owed everything to the persistence and skill of Zaid Jaziri, who after brushing past Carles Puyol, beat three other Spanish players before picking out the advancing Mnari.

The Nuremberg midfielder's volley was parried by Iker Casillas, but Mnari made no mistake from the rebound.

David Villa spearheaded Spain's attempts to pull level in the first half, going close with a free-kick and then releasing Torres with a clever pass.

For a split second Torres glimpsed goal, before Hatem Trabelsi moved in to outmuscle the Atletico Madrid striker.

As well as providing defensive cover, Trabelsi was just as keen to scamper forward to give Tunisia a useful attacking outlet on the right.

Tunisia rode their luck at times - Luis Garcia flicking a header wide from Xavi's free-kick after the Liverpool forward had been fouled by Anis Ayari.

Garcia's Liverpool team-mate flashed a long-range shot narrowly wide and on the stroke of half-time Ayari headed Xabi Alonso's header off the line.

But Fabregas's arrival changed the game with the midfielder having an immediate impact, thumping a shot goalward that Boumnijel did well to beat away.

Soon after Aragones went for broke, throwing on his third substitute as Real Betis winger Joaquin replaced Valencia striker David Villa.

Joaquin provided the pass for a second Fabregas shot that set up Spain's equaliser, an effort Boumnijel was unable to hold, allowing Raul to score from close range.

A rush of blood to the head by Boumnijel proved fatal to Tunisia's hopes of coming away with a point as Fabregas released Torres.

Boumnijel was caught hopelessly out of position allowing Torres to flick the ball into the unguarded net.

Late on Torres was fouled by Alaeddine Yahia as he jumped for the ball, though the Spain forward was slightly lucky to score with the penalty, a goal that means he is the World Cup's current top goalscorer.

Spain: Casillas, Sergio Ramos, Puyol, Pablo, Pernia, Xavi, Alonso, Senna (Fabregas 45), Luis Garcia (Raul 45), Torres, Villa (Joaquin 56).
Subs Not Used: Albelda, Antonio Lopez, Canizares, Iniesta, Juanito, Marchena, Reina, Reyes, Salgado.

Booked: Puyol, Fabregas.

Goals: Raul 72, Torres 76, 90 pen.

Tunisia: Boumnijel, Haggui, Jaidi, Ayari (Yahia 56), Trabelsi, Mnari, Bouazizi (Ghodhbane 56), Chedli (Gmamdia 79), Namouchi, Nafti, Jaziri.
Subs Not Used: Ben Saada, Chikhaoui, Essediri, Jemmali, Kasraoui, Melliti, Nefzi, Saidi, Santos.

Booked: Ayari, Trabelsi, Jaidi, Gmamdia, Jaziri, Mnari.

Goals: Mnari 8.

Att: 52,000.

Ref: Carlos Eugenio Simon (Brazil).

Fifa man of the match: Xabi

20th June 2006 01:36 PM
stewed & Keefed Ecuador 0-3 Germany

Hosts Germany made it three wins out of three in the World Cup as they beat Ecuador to finish top of Group A.
Miroslav Klose, now with four goals, became the tournament's leading scorer, first putting the Germans ahead early on by rifling home from close range.

He then coolly slotted in from Michael Ballack's brilliant chip before Lucas Podolski slid home to wrap it up.

If England avoid defeat against Sweden in their Group B tie, they will play Ecuador in the last 16 on Sunday.

The Germans were clearly taking the threat of a possible meeting with England more seriously than Ecuador and, despite having already qualified, were at full strength.

Having started the World Cup as dark horses, Germany's qualification for the knockout stages has been remarkably easy.

But they have beaten every team they have faced, and they never seriously looked in any danger of not getting all three points once again in Berlin.

They took an early lead when Ecuador hopelessly failed to clear their lines and Bastian Schweinsteiger cleverly pulled the ball back for Klose to arrow into the corner from eight yards.

In truth, Germany should have had it wrapped up well before the break.

Klose just failed to connect with a Philipp Lahm cross, Bernd Schneider lashed one off target and Ballack's audacious 50-yard lob flew just over the bar.

Podolski looked like he desperately needed a goal to boost his flagging confidence, but when the killer second came, it fell to his strike partner once more.

Klose thumps home number one

Ballack's sumptuous chip cut out two defenders and Klose - albeit clumsily - rounded Cristian Mora and slotted home to double the advantage.

If Podolski was worried, he need not have been. Just before the hour mark, he finally broke his World Cup duck.

Germany repelled an Ecuador attack and broke quickly on the counter, Schweinsteiger sending Schneider away down the right from where the midfielder crossed superbly for a sliding Podolski to guide the ball home.

They cantered home after that, coach Jurgen Klinsmann using his substitutions to give Klose, Torsten Frings and Schneider a rest ahead of their last 16 tie on Saturday.

Which - as they look most likely to face Sweden - is almost certain to be their first real test of the 2006 World Cup.

Ecuador: Mora, De la Cruz, Espinoza, Ambrossi, Guagua, Valencia (Lara 63), Edwin Tenorio, Ayovi (Urrutia 68), Mendez, Borja (Benitez 45), Kaviedes.
Subs Not Used: Castillo, Delgado, Hurtado, Lanza, Perlaza, Reasco, Saritama, Carlos Tenorio, Villafuerte.

Booked: Valencia.

Germany: Lehmann, Friedrich, Mertesacker, Huth, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Frings (Borowski 66), Ballack, Schneider (Asamoah 72), Klose (Neuville 66), Podolski.
Subs Not Used: Hanke, Hildebrand, Hitzlsperger, Jansen, Kahn, Kehl, Metzelder, Nowotny, Odonkor.

Booked: Borowski.

Goals: Klose 4, 44, Podolski 57.

Att: 72,000.

Ref: Valentin Ivanov (Russia).

20th June 2006 01:37 PM
stewed & Keefed Costa Rica 1-2 Poland

Bartosz Bosacki notched his first goals for Poland to help his side to victory in Group A's dead rubber and ease the pressure on coach Pawel Janas.
With both sides already eliminated from the competition, it was an uninspiring start before Costa Rica's Ronald Gomez fired a low free-kick past Artur Boruc.

However, Bosacki equalised minutes later, volleying home from a corner.

And the defender sealed the win with a thumping header, before Paulo Wanchope saw a late effort denied for offside.

The win ensured Poland, who were favourites to progress to the second round alongside Germany before the tournament, ended their campaign with a valuable win that might help keep Janas in a job following a raft of criticism.

A languid start was memorable only for referee Shamsul Maidin's booking count, a tally that had reached 10 by the end of the match.

However, after 24 minutes the match sprung to life when the Poles fell behind to Gomez's low free-kick, allowed to squirm through his own legs by keeper Boruc.

Suddenly, both sides offered more purpose and the match developed into an open contest.

Ireneusz Jelen's fine break down the right flank caused Costa Rica problems before it was eventually cleared, while Wanchope should have done better when he failed to generate any power from Gomez's square-ball into the box.

Bosacki ensured the victory with his second-half header
But it was left to Bosacki to net the game's second, and Poland's equaliser, when he volleyed in Maciej Zurawski's corner for his first international goal on his 13th appearance.

Just like the opener, the goal owed much to a keeping error, this time Jose Porras failing to collect the cross amid muted cries for a foul by Ebi Smolarek.

A see-saw end to the half saw Zurawski force another good block after a fine break, before Gomez launched a free-kick towards goal that was only denied by Jacek Bak's headed clearance.

With the sweltering 28C temperature taking its toll, the second half failed to produce much early urgency, though Costa Rica twice went close before the hour through Cristian Bolanos' looped effort and Wanchope's tame header.

But, just as it did in the second half, proceedings livened up midway through the half and, after Jacek Krzynowek had forced a fine save from long range, Bosacki notched his second of the game with a towering header at the back post from the resulting corner.

Costa Rica fought admirably thereafter, and even thought they had grabbed a late equaliser when Wanchope, hoping to mark his World Cup swansong with a goal, poked home.

However, the effort was rightly ruled out for offside and the match petered out to draw a line under proceedings of what was an ultimately pointless encounter in Hanover.

Costa Rica: Porras, Drummond (Wallace 70), Gonzalez, Umana, Marin, Bolanos (Saborio 78), Solis, Centeno, Badilla, Wanchope, Gomez (Hernandez 82).
Subs Not Used: Mesen, Fonseca, Bernard, Azofeifa, Sequeira, Nunez, Rodriguez, Alfaro, Martinez.

Booked: Umana, Marin, Gomez, Badilla, Gonzalez.

Goals: Gomez 24.

Poland: Boruc, Baszczynski, Bak, Bosacki, Zewlakow, Krzynowek, Szymkowiak, Smolarek (Rasiak 85), Radomski (Lewandowski 64), Jelen, Zurawski (Brozek 45).
Subs Not Used: Jop, Gancarczyk, Kosowski, Kuszczak, Mila, Dudka, Giza, Fabianski.

Booked: Radomski, Bak, Zewlakow, Baszczynski, Boruc.

Goals: Bosacki 33, 66.

Att: 43,000

Ref: Shamsul Maidin (Singapore).

20th June 2006 02:41 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
pdog wrote:
Two good games coming up today in about 1/2 an hour...

Yep, I'm choosing England-Sweden. You?
20th June 2006 02:54 PM
Madafaka England-Sweden could be a great match!
20th June 2006 03:16 PM
Angiegirl Winner of Group A against runner up of B & winner of B against runner up of A

Again for other groups: C combined with D, E and F and G and H.

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/w/bracket.html

[Edited by Angiegirl]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)