ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© Special thanks to Angie!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The official ROCKS OFF World Cup Thread Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
17th June 2006 05:10 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
Gazza wrote:

after today's matches, would you like to phone a friend or do you want to stay with your original answer to #2?

One word to describe Argentina today - frightening.

Cambiasso's goal may well be the best goal of the tournament. Tevez' wasnt too shabby either!

A masterclass

[Edited by Gazza]

LOL
I might have been very wrong about this.. I don't think any team would have beat Argentina yesterday..
Actually, my prediction is now: Argentina WILL win the World Cup!
17th June 2006 05:15 PM
Rick56 Well done to the USA
17th June 2006 05:20 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
charlotte wrote:
USA 9 players-Italy 10 players

What about the referee? Let's be serious, the goal was legit. Anyway this group is HOT!

17th June 2006 05:30 PM
Gazza I dont think it was. However, an incredible effort from the US. If that doesnt get you Yanks interested in football, nothing will. Your team did you proud.
17th June 2006 05:39 PM
time is on my side I admittedly don't know a lot about the sport but I do know when the fix is in.

Red cards being given for the slightest offenses especially when it looked like the USA might have a chance to win.

Goals being mysteriously swept away with bizarre explanations of someone might be offsides???

Anyway, a great day in the World Cup where the unexpected seemed to be the norm.

17th June 2006 05:46 PM
Ronnie Richards
quote:
time is on my side wrote:

Goals being mysteriously swept away with bizarre explanations of someone might be offsides???

This "bizarre" phenomenon happens quite often in football y'know..

Anyway, it WAS a great performance by the USA
17th June 2006 06:05 PM
time is on my side
quote:
Ronnie Richards wrote:

This "bizarre" phenomenon happens quite often in football y'know..

Anyway, it WAS a great performance by the USA

Actually, I was joking a little above. I know what offsides is and know the rule which in my view is one of the main reasons why 90 percent of the scores end with at least one team not scoring any goals.

I'm probably a minority in this but I always felt that was the main rule that needs to be changed. It gives way too much advantage to the defenses.

Given the advantages the offside rule gives the defense, it still wasn't clear cut that Beasley was offside. Borderline call at best.
17th June 2006 06:51 PM
Madafaka Italian team was awful! USA is getting better games, but they're so far away...
17th June 2006 07:06 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Red cards being given for the slightest offenses especially when it looked like the USA might have a chance to win.

That second red card for US was a yellow one. However, he already had one, hence he had to leave. You just have to be really careful when you already have a yellow one in the match, and especially if the referee has proven to be generous with cards...
17th June 2006 07:09 PM
Carlos Pigozzi Awful Italy, Portugal, Czech Republic !!!!

Best teams so far : Ecuador and Spain. But I want to see Spain playing again anyway .....
17th June 2006 07:15 PM
Jumping Jack How good is Ghana? Does the US have a real chance to beat them and move on?
17th June 2006 07:37 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
How good is Ghana? Does the US have a real chance to beat them and move on?

Ghana proved to be stronger than we thought. I think US could beat them, but it's gonna be a tough game I think.
17th June 2006 08:26 PM
Pako Gertte
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

Ghana proved to be stronger than we thought. I think US could beat them, but it's gonna be a tough game I think.

we be eating white folks soon an'a dutchie 2
17th June 2006 09:25 PM
Highwire Rob

17th June 2006 09:26 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
How good is Ghana? Does the US have a real chance to beat them and move on?

Ghana's win over the Czechs today (one of the strongest teams in the tournament) showed what they are capable of - they fully deserved it too. The shock of the tournament so far

However, the US team's performance tonight showed that they can match the best sides in the world on their day. They can certainly beat Ghana, although they'll be slight underdogs

All four teams in this group can still qualify. The US must win their last game. A win will put them into the knockout stages if Italy beat the Czech Republic. Its unlikely any other result in the Italy-Czech game will be enough as the US lost heavily in their opening game and would need a big win to overturn the goal difference in the event of tieing on 4 points with another team.

However, the US will have the two players sent off tonight automatically suspended for this game, which wont help.
17th June 2006 09:31 PM
Gazza
quote:
Given the advantages the offside rule gives the defense, it still wasn't clear cut that Beasley was offside. Borderline call at best.

He was clearly in an offside position. The only debate is whether or not he was 'interfering with play'. As he was pretty much in the direction of the shot he was in a position where he was distracting the goalkeeper, so from where he was he was pretty much in a position where he was interfering with play
17th June 2006 09:43 PM
Poplar
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Your team did you proud.

Indeed. Cheers.
17th June 2006 11:58 PM
tookthatname I really don't know much about the world cup, and not much more about soccer. but the people in tijuana are nuts about it. does anyone know of a site with

A: soccer for dummies

B: world cup for even bigger dummies

how many games does a team have to lose to be out of the tournament? how many do they have to win? Is Mexico in 6th place or second in their division or both? etc. etc.
18th June 2006 12:03 AM
gustavobala
quote:
Gazza wrote:

He was clearly in an offside position. The only debate is whether or not he was 'interfering with play'. As he was pretty much in the direction of the shot he was in a position where he was distracting the goalkeeper, so from where he was he was pretty much in a position where he was interfering with play

gazza, you´re right, but i think was mcbride in offside position, not beasley!
18th June 2006 12:12 AM
gustavobala
quote:
tookthatname wrote:
I really don't know much about the world cup, and not much more about soccer. but the people in tijuana are nuts about it. does anyone know of a site with

how many games does a team have to lose to be out of the tournament? how many do they have to win? Is Mexico in 6th place or second in their division or both? etc. etc.

i´ts not difficult..... is like NBA,

first in a group of four teams(then we have 3 games in a group), two teams pass by the other phase, then start a playsoff´s !

understand?

sorry by my english (is a shit)

USA make a big game today...tie with 9 players against a strong italy with 10 players!!!!
18th June 2006 01:27 AM
Poplar
quote:
gustavobala wrote:
sorry by my english (is a shit)

USA make a big game today...tie with 9 players against a strong italy with 10 players!!!!

that's THE shit, my friend. Ghana better lace 'em up tight.
18th June 2006 07:47 AM
J.J.Flash
quote:
VoodooChileInWOnderl wrote:

Tony is Cuban, he still alive and well, survived that machine gun fest

I know Gerardo, but tha mafia was an italian thing anyway.
18th June 2006 08:21 AM
Gazza
quote:
tookthatname wrote:
I really don't know much about the world cup, and not much more about soccer. but the people in tijuana are nuts about it. does anyone know of a site with

Mexico are second in their group. What is happening in other groups are irrelevant. They're only competing at this stage against the 3 sides in the same group (Iran, Portugal and Angola)

The final stages of the World Cup consists of 32 teams - Germany (the host country) plus 31 other countries who have progressed from the regional qualifying stages held over a period of about 18 months

The 32 qualifying teams are split into eight groups of four, the draw being made on a 'seeding' basis, with the eight top seeds all in separate groups, the eight second seeds kept apart etc.

In each group of four teams, the sides play each other once. So, every qualifying team is guaranteed a minimum of three games. Unlike, say the NFL,in the group stages you dont play teams from other groups. A win in the group stages is worth 3 points, a draw is worth one. If two teams finish level on points, the team with the better goal difference is placed higher

The top two teams in each group progress to the knock out stages, the bottom two sides are eliminated. So, after the group stages there are 16 teams remaining out of 32.

The rest of the tournament is played on a straight knockout basis (second round, quarter final, semi final, final). The top team in Group A is drawn against the second team in Group B, etc. In the event of a game being drawn at this stage of the tournament, extra time of 30 minutes is played, and if the scores are still level, its decided by a penalty shoot out.

here's the schedule here :
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/schedule/default.stm

as you can see, the USA are in Group E. If they were to finish second in their group, in the second round they would play the winner of Group F on June 27th in Dortmund (It will probably be Brazil!)

If Mexico progress, they will play either Argentina or Holland, who will be the top teams in Group C
18th June 2006 08:56 AM
tookthatname thanks gazza and gustavobala. the tournament rules are much clearer now.

the US doesn't deserve to win, the average person in the US knows as little as I do about soccer. Here in Mexico I made the mistake of standing in front of the TV at my favorite restaurant, during a game a few years ago. The waitresses, who are my freinds, started throwing radishes at me. Talk about fans!!!
18th June 2006 09:10 AM
J.J.Flash Hey Corgi, SIA, Daethgod, IT'S TODAY! I'm expecting a great match. The Aussies proved to be a tough team to confront, your football increased a lot over the years. The proof is the braveness of your players against the good Japanese team, which was expected to have won that game.

Hey Corgi, let's have a simultaneous beer drinking whilst the game, let's have an overseas drinking, overseas booze.....

....hmmm, wait, how are you going to drink at 1AM since tomorrows is monday?!?
18th June 2006 11:53 AM
stewed & Keefed Japan 0-0 Croatia

A penalty save from Japan's Yoshikatsu Kawaguchi denied Croatia victory, with a goalless draw not doing much to help either side's hopes of progression.
Goalkeeper Kawaguchi palmed away Darijo Srna's spot-kick after Dado Prso was fouled by defender Tsuneyasu Miyamoto in the first half.

Croatia created the best chances, with Niko Kranjcar hitting the bar and Ivan Klasnic forcing Kawaguchi to parry.

Atsushi Yanagisawa came closest for Japan but scuffed wide from four yards.

Croatia will be happier with the point with Australia to come next, while Japan face the awesome task of having to beat Brazil to stand a chance of qualifying from Group F.

After 21 minutes of drudgery, the match sprung to life courtesy of a penalty awarded to Croatia.

Tsuneyasu Miyamoto clumsy challenge on Prso virtually ensured the Japan defender will not be named in the end-of-tournament XI.

Srna stepped up to take the spot-kick, but his near-perfect effort was spectacularly saved by Kawaguchi low down to his left.

Croatia did not seem too disheartened after wasting their golden opportunity, with Kranjcar and Klasnic causing serious problems for the Japanese defence.

Both came close twice, Kranjcar heading into the side-netting and seeing his 30-yarder rebound off the crossbar, while Klasnic scuffed a shot from three yards and had a stinging 20-yard effort saved by the alert Kawaguchi.

Japan were restricted to one clear chance, albeit from distance, with Stipe Pletikosa called on to parry Hidetoshi Nakata's piledriver.

Zico's Japan needed to step up a gear after the break and the introduction of Junichi Inamoto and the industry of Nakata seemed to give his side a lift.

Soon after the restart Yanagisawa missed arguably Japan's best chance, when he mis-hit Akira Kaji's pacy ball from the right.

Nakata stung Pletikosa's palms again from distance and late in the game Alex and then Masashi Oguro failed to connect when the ball flashed across Pletikosa's goal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Japan: Kawaguchi, Miyamoto, Kaji, Nakazawa, Santos, Ogasawara, Hidetoshi Nakata, Nakamura, Fukunishi (Inamoto 45), Takahara (Oguro 85), Yanagisawa (Tamada 61).
Subs Not Used: Narazaki, Moniwa, Komano, Endo, Koji Nakata, Maki, Doi, Ono, Tsuboi.

Booked: Miyamoto, Kawaguchi, Santos. Croatia: Pletikosa, Robert Kovac, Simunic, Tudor (Olic 70), Simic, Srna (Bosnjak 86), Babic, Nico Kovac, Kranjcar (Modric 78), Prso, Klasnic.
Subs Not Used: Balaban, Butina, Didulica, Ivan Leko, Jerko Leko, Seric, Tokic, Tomas, Vranjes.

Booked: Robert Kovac, Srna.

Att: 41,000

Ref: Frank De Bleeckere (Belgium)

[Edited by stewed & Keefed]
18th June 2006 12:44 PM
caro Strange, I thought Ronaldo would be immediately replaced now that he has gotten a yellow card?
18th June 2006 01:57 PM
time is on my side 2-0 BRAZIL

To this untrained eye, it looked like Brazil was playing like the Brazil of old in the second half. Also, thought Ronaldo, while still out of shape, looked much better in this game.

Enjoyed the game. The World Cup is some great stuff
18th June 2006 01:58 PM
J.J.Flash Fat Ronaldo doesn't scare anybody no more...... Fuckin' lazy idiot. After his replacement for Robinho, the team started behaving like they were supposed to. Fuck, please, don't put Ronaldo again, he ain't nothing.
18th June 2006 05:05 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl What happens with France? Can't win a match...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)