ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1981 TFC
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: 2nd Amsterdam show officially cancelled... Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
21st June 2006 10:49 PM
parmeda ya know, jb? I've got this feeling that comes from way down past the gut...hell, past the ovaries even! We haven't seen, nor heard, any speculation of the Super Bowl stage...those fricken lips!

Do you think THAT would pull people out in groves? We know it would work like a charm here in the States, but could it do the same across the pond?

I'd pay to sit on the tongue, would you?
21st June 2006 11:00 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
parmeda wrote:
ya know, jb? I've got this feeling that comes from way down past the gut...hell, past the ovaries even! We haven't seen, nor heard, any speculation of the Super Bowl stage...those fricken lips!

Do you think THAT would pull people out in groves? We know it would work like a charm here in the States, but could it do the same across the pond?

I'd pay to sit on the tongue, would you?

Hmmmm. Parmy, you have a great idea. Might save the Tour....I'd pay to sit on the tongue too!!
22nd June 2006 01:40 AM
glencar Will the FLF Bash finally be moved to London now? TIA!
22nd June 2006 01:54 AM
glencar You coming to NYC? I'm only going to NYC & Chicago.
22nd June 2006 03:03 AM
FotiniD While I do agree with Gazza's views and with many of the views expressed on this thread and while I do agree they're screwing us big time with all their pathetic excuses for cancelations, I can't help but wonder why you guys feel so surprised by all this.

Please don't get me wrong; what I'm trying to say is that we didn't wake up one day and realized the Stones are greedy bastards. We've known this for years before the 2006 tour fiasco! They've never in the past been a band to show any respect for their fans and we've even "joked" about this in the past. Masochists? Perhaps! But it's not exactly "news".

I guess they're the same ego-inflated band they've always been, post 1970 at least, just getting older. What is changing is our attitudes towards this and for how long we can put up with it. But I don't understand the epiphanies - we knew this guys! We knew this, if not from the very start, then for the last thirty years 100%. They do like what they're doing, but it's the $$$ that come first. And since they've evolved (or downgraded) to a huge circus that employs hundreds (or thousands, if you count all the organizational aspects etc.) of people on every tour, you're not only talking about the $$$ of four band members (which is big enough an interest on its own), you're taling about a whole lot bigger profit.

Yes, they're greedy. Selfish. Ungreatful.

But personally, and sadly, I knew that and we all knew that already
22nd June 2006 03:25 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
kahoosier wrote:
Well, I have to agree with Gazza, some of us are finally waking up! I have followed the group for decades, and thru it all it would have been hard to find a stauncher supporter unless it is BV who runs IORR. I have scheduled and re-scheduled vacations around tour dates. This year I even juggled job offers around the summer Euro tour; $1000's in lost income. The last two tours especially have become almost extended pilgramages for me rather than just seeing some shows. It is totally my fault, I blame no one else, I do not even regret it.

ON the phone the other day speaking with another rabid fan about opening night in Milan, it was almost an epiphany. I was looking over a stack of only partially or totally non-refundable airline tickets for June. I started thinking about the postponed /cancelled Asian Licks dates, and while a differnt situation, remember that I WENT to the Asian mainland, because as little as 1 week before China, Stones people were promising people out in my part of the world Shanghai and Beijing would happen despite delayed Hong Kong shows. AND HERE MY FREIND AND I WERE BLATHERING EXCITEDLY ABOUT FALL DATES...DATES THAT ARE NOT EVEN SURE YET, but around which I have manipulated earning opportunities to be in Hawaii in December just in case.

And I heard myself tell my freind,
" I just can't do this anymore, its time to get back to the real world." The luster is off the pearl. When I read Amsterdam was cancelled now, I realized finally and totally on an emotional level what I could talk about intellectually before without it sinking in; these bastards don't give a tinkers' damn about any of us! And I do not mean on a perosnal level; no one can expect them to care about us as individuals and our losses. But 40 years at the top and Mr. Cohl's very successful manipulations since 1989 have led them to belive in their own invulnerability. They have absolutely no concern for their fan base as a collective and have moved into an arena of arrogance that stinks from half a world away.

There will be shows, and I will go if conveniant. But I can no longer follow whereever they lead after using the tickets already paid for on this tour.

Post of the month! Well said. You express my feelings 100% .
22nd June 2006 07:14 AM
egon good postin indeed.

i was gonna go to barcelona,
but i feel less & less like driving 4.5 hours to see them there (IF they re-schedule at all)

It's probably just gonna be Nice in August & then basta.

(and this is coming from a guy who owns ABB AND ABB special edition as well as the don't stop single...)

22nd June 2006 07:15 AM
egon
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
At least you still have Nice with our friend Gazza!!!

LEt's 1st make sure it doesn't get cancelled!

22nd June 2006 07:38 AM
Gazza It should be OK...I'll still be there anyway. I face the prospect of castration from Mrs Gazza if I dont go!
22nd June 2006 07:38 AM
LadyJane This thread makes me very very sad.

And yet another TEE shirt offer from RS.COM is in my incoming mailbox.

WTF is going on with these guys???

You really read these Boards? See how disillusioned your true blue fans are, guys??

Shakin my head.

LJ.
22nd June 2006 07:46 AM
egon ok, think positive;
I shall book a hotel in Nice this weekend.
It'll be ok, It'll be ok, It'll be ok...
22nd June 2006 07:59 AM
ListenToTheLion I still have tickets for Brussels but I don't give a shit anymore. I'll send them back, get my money and buy tickets for any band that comes along and cares about his fans. Hopefully Steve Earle will tour Europe this autumn...
22nd June 2006 08:01 AM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
This thread makes me very very sad.

And yet another TEE shirt offer from RS.COM is in my incoming mailbox.

WTF is going on with these guys???

You really read these Boards? See how disillusioned your true blue fans are, guys??

Shakin my head.

LJ.

on every tour theres a certain undercurrent of dissatisfaction on the various boards about the way the Stones treat their fanbase. To a degree thats natural, as you cant please everyone.

However, the level of disillusionment on THIS tour from day one on numerous issues is WAY in excess of anything I've ever witnessed before - and thats from hardcore fans.

When you see so many long-term fans for whom the Stones have been a way of life for decades coming towards the end of their rope, then you can only imagine what thats going to be like for those who are less fanatical about the band than we are.

Not a good sign.
22nd June 2006 08:10 AM
egon maybe this is what the really meant with "a bigger bang".
22nd June 2006 08:16 AM
Gazza more of a 'nuclear explosion' as at the end of it all, they'll have no fans left...

Keith and the cockroach will be on their own after all!
22nd June 2006 08:21 AM
LadyJane
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Keith and the cockroach will be on their own after all!

Oh they'll always have me. Til I take my last breath on this Earth I'll be a fan.

Just don't care to feel and see others feel taken for granted. We deserve better.

LJ.
22nd June 2006 08:31 AM
Gazza
quote:
LadyJane wrote:

Oh they'll always have me. Til I take my last breath on this Earth I'll be a fan.

Just don't care to feel and see others feel taken for granted. We deserve better.

LJ.

Oh I'll be a fan of their music until I'm in a pine box, and probably beyond

How much longer I'll be motivated to spend my hard-earned cash indulging them is a different dilemma entirely, however, as whatever it is they stand for or represent these days is something I cant and dont wish to relate to.
22nd June 2006 08:39 AM
jostorm "Keith and The Cockroaches", what a fab name for a band....

Well, I was dpressed already, reading all this hasn't made it any better....

LJ wrote:And yet another TEE shirt offer from RS.COM is in my incoming mailbox....

This is actually MY MAIN GRIEVANCE with them!

Ok, accidents can happen and in a way aren't avoidable, but it is the handling of this whole affair that is gradually but surely turning me into a "not-longer-a-Rolling-Stones-fan".

They have my email address to send all their tacky offers to, but they don't seem to have it when it comes to writing to me at all with a standard apology and a choice to reclaim my hardearned money, which I very by the way do not earn living the R&R star life.
Madrid went down the toilet, and the Madrid tickets I'd agreed to swap for Amsterdam2 tickets went the same way. All that is left is Berlin, and I'm leaving it at that. The way I feel about it now, I won't even bother in 2007.
Yes, I used to love them and take as many concerts in as I physically could without being committed under the Mental Healths Act by my husband, but those days are truly over!
The money grabbing I can forgive, the "treating me like a floormat" somehow I can not!!!
22nd June 2006 08:56 AM
Ihavelotsajam
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

people here are slowly finally catching on to this

funny

It's funny because people are saying "after this I shall no longer be naive" as if "after this" the Stones are gonna go on for years and years more, and as if the people are not going to be taken advantage of for years and years into the future, when really, your epiphanies seem to have come at the very end of the road.
[Edited by Ihavelotsajam]
22nd June 2006 09:35 AM
Gazza Not really..its been a gradual thing for me, personally, over the last couple of years

1. Far less shows this time around than before

2. Less interest in collecting every new show when I used to be obsessive about it

3. Not buying every new 'product' (Live Licks was the first new release in 25 years that I didnt buy on its release date. I waited a couple of months until it was in the bargain bins where it belonged. 'Rarities' I skipped too although I got it as a Xmas present. I only got the special edition of ABB two weeks ago because I noticed it available on Amazon for about £4 or so - about 20-25% of the original price)

4. Not buying any official merchandise from rs.com at all.

5. Refusal to pay more than £100 for a ticket (including charges and fan club fees), even though its FOS/Block A or nothing

Showing your displeasure by not opening your wallet as readily as you used to can be done in many ways over a long period of time.

[Edited by Gazza]
22nd June 2006 10:45 AM
Angiegirl This is it!

I'll be known as a Beatles fan from now on.
No cancelled shows.
22nd June 2006 10:56 AM
Joey
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
This is it!

No cancelled shows.

Who Fan ... ?!?!

22nd June 2006 11:11 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Joey wrote:
Who Fan ... ?!?!

I could even consider the Who, yes.
22nd June 2006 11:27 AM
christijanus
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
This is it!

No cancelled shows.

Angie.... van de drie
22nd June 2006 11:42 AM
Joey
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

I could even consider the Who, yes.

You are much loved by Joey

22nd June 2006 11:43 AM
Gazza
quote:
Joey wrote:

Who Fan ... ?!?!

Ya gotta hand it to the Who. Even when one of them croaked it 4 years ago, they were back onstage again while the dude was still warm and before he'd even started to smell.....

Makes the Stones' excuses for cancelling look pretty lightweight by comparison!

22nd June 2006 11:47 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
christijanus wrote:
Angie.... van de drie

ik niet snap?
22nd June 2006 11:48 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Gazza wrote:
Ya gotta hand it to the Who. Even when one of them croaked it 4 years ago, they were back onstage again while the dude was still warm and before he'd even started to smell.....

Or ethical?

Nah, who am I kiddin'.
22nd June 2006 11:50 AM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Damn Straight !!!!!

The tour is over ......

... just teasing .

J " Snuggles " Fly !
22nd June 2006 11:59 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
This is it!

No cancelled shows.

Yeah, but there WERE those shows Ringo didn't show up for. Jimmy Nichols my arse.

No Ringo - No Beatles!

Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)