ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1981 TFC
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Nothing Lasts Forever Return to archive
20th June 2006 03:52 PM
glencar Say goodbye to Top of the Pops!

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/20/D8IC2T8O0.html
20th June 2006 03:57 PM
glencar 40 & dead!
20th June 2006 03:57 PM
Joey " Top of the Pops" has featured everyone from The Beatles and The Rolling Stones and THE WHO to Nirvana and the Spice Girls. At its peak, the weekly rundown of Britain's best-selling acts attracted more than 15 million viewers.

The show has suffered flagging ratings in recent years as it faced competition from cable and satellite music channels and the Internet. Last year it was moved from the main BBC1 channel to BBC2, which attracts a smaller
audience "

J.
20th June 2006 04:12 PM
glencar they used to show it on BBC America but that stopped 3 years ago.
20th June 2006 05:29 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
Say goodbye to Top of the Pops!

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/06/20/D8IC2T8O0.html

wow...its been rumoured for years but neevr thought theyd actually pull the plug. Surprised I havent read about it over here - I'd have imagined that would have been a major story. No one over the age of about 16 buys chart singles anyway, so in an era of about 30 music channels, I guess its old hat. I havent watched it in years

the BBC have fucked around with the schedules so much in recent years that most people seem to have forgotten about it. Thursday evening on BBC1 for so many years to the point where it was considered sacrilege to move it, then shifted to Fridays (opposite Coronation Street, so thats the ratings fucked) and then Sundays on BBC2.

The Stones actually performed on the very first show, on New Years Day 1964 (in fact, I think they were the first band to play it). Ironic that one musical institution bites the dust after 42 years, but the other one keeps going.
20th June 2006 05:43 PM
Honky Tonk Man I heard it on the news earlier. It's a shame, because despite all the MTV channels and its waning popularity, it was an institution. I know that if I were ever in a band, up until now obviously, Top Of The Pops is the one programme I'd WANT to perform on.
20th June 2006 09:16 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
glencar wrote:
they used to show it on BBC America but that stopped 3 years ago.

I USED TO LOVE THAT CHANNEL TILL THEY STOPPED SHOWING THE EASTENDERS
20th June 2006 11:13 PM
Soldatti The Stones were the first act to perform on TOTP, they performed I Wanna Be Your Man.
I remember an awful playback of Let's Work by Mick, the latest Stones' related appearance.
21st June 2006 07:58 AM
egon
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I remember an awful playback of Let's Work by Mick, the latest Stones' related appearance.

He did the same on the Duch program "countdown".
(surrounded by dancing policmen, nurses, builders...)

you could almost see him thinking;
"this is NOT the same as being on tour with the stones"
21st June 2006 08:30 AM
glencar
quote:
egon wrote:

He did the same on the Duch program "countdown".
(surrounded by dancing policmen, nurses, builders...)

you could almost see him thinking;
"this is NOT the same as being on tour with the stones"

Was this that horrid video or did he do a lipsynched performance surrounded on stage by these fools?
21st June 2006 08:55 AM
egon no that was actually "live" in the studio
21st June 2006 10:18 PM
corgi37 We get TOTP on UK-tv on our cable here in Oz. It's way past its used by date. Very infantile. Still, sad aint it? I guess.
For some one.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)