ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1981 TFC
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Who's Opening Night Setlist Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
18th June 2006 12:53 PM
MRD8

On a balmy summer's night, the hottest ticket in town was The Who's
much-awaited return to Leeds. First things first, if this was the band
on the FIRST night of the tour god alone knows how good they'll be by
the LAST night because, from the opening chords of Who Are You right
through to the closing rush of Won't Get Fooled Again the band were
in blistering, breathless form.
Wire & Glass, the forthcoming single/mini-opera, was debuted and went
down a storm whilst old favourites like Relay were delivered with equal gusto.
I feel very lucky to have witnessed such an incendiary performance - as
I suspect everyone else in the packed, stiflingly hot Leeds Uni refectory felt
afterwards too. No need for me to wax lyrical about the performance as
it was all recorded for later release in the Encore Series so you'll all be
able to sample it for yourselves … can't wait. For now, some pix from
last night and the set-list. More pix to follow on Who site asap. And with that, it's on to sunny Brighton …

Hamish

Set-list:

Who Are You
Can't Explain
The Seeker
Substitute
Wire & Glass
Sound Around
Pick Up The Peace
Endless Wire
We've Got A Hit
They Made My Dreams Come True
Mirror Door
Baba O'Reilly
Relay
Behind Blue Eyes
Pinball Wizard
Amazing Journey
See Me
Listening To You

Encores:

Eminence Front
Won't Get Fooled Again

18th June 2006 01:32 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle I realize it's only the first show, but imo that setlist seems more noteworthy for it's omissions.

If that's representative of what they'll be playing in the US, vendors across the land will be rejoicing at the mid- set rush to the beer stands.

OTOH, I can't wait to hear the new stuff...
18th June 2006 02:02 PM
Jumping Jack I'm so excited I just knocked my monitor on the floor!!! Just wait until they get to the Qwest Center.
18th June 2006 02:09 PM
LadyJane I am so excited I am typing this with Joey's nipples.

LJ.
18th June 2006 02:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:
I realize it's only the first show, but imo that setlist seems more noteworthy for it's omissions.

If that's representative of what they'll be playing in the US, vendors across the land will be rejoicing at the mid- set rush to the beer stands.

OTOH, I can't wait to hear the new stuff...

What omissions do you mean? they seem to have played most of the 'essentials'. 'My generation' is gone - well, for a bunch of 60 year olds, maybe its about time.

I think whats most noteworthy is the amount of new, and unreleased songs! After so many years of predictable setlists, its a refreshing change to see a Who show with some surprises.

If their US audience are as uninspiring and nostalgia-obsessed as you suggest, the concession stands are welcome to them. Is this obsession with just playing the hits and nothing else a US phenomenon or something? I dont get the impression audiences are so locked into that attitude in Europe (I'm using Stones audiences as an example)

Jostorm was lucky enough (or persistent enough) to get a ticket for this show. Hopefully she'll fill us in on how it was

[Edited by Gazza]
18th June 2006 02:35 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I'm so excited I just knocked my monitor on the floor!!! Just wait until they get to the Qwest Center.

THEY WILL DO "REAL GOOD LOOKIN BOY" FOR JOEY
18th June 2006 04:39 PM
gimmekeef Bring on the boot!...Wonder if/when this show will be on that Who website as previously mentioned by Pete I think?...
18th June 2006 04:51 PM
Joey
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:

THEY WILL DO "REAL GOOD LOOKIN BOY" FOR JOEY

I do not particularly care for your avatar .

[Edited by Perks ]

[Edited by Joey]
18th June 2006 04:53 PM
Joey
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
I'm so excited I just knocked my monitor on the floor!!! Just wait until they get to the Qwest Center.

I am now so excited that I am typing this with my penis .

18th June 2006 04:55 PM
Joey " I think whats most noteworthy is the amount of new, and unreleased songs! After so many years of predictable setlists, its a refreshing change to see a Who show with some surprises. "

Amen Gazza ...............

I can not WAIT for the boot from this gig .

" If their US audience are as uninspiring and nostalgia-obsessed as you suggest, the concession stands are welcome to them. Is this obsession with just playing the hits and nothing else a US phenomenon or something? I dont get the impression audiences are so locked into that attitude in Europe (I'm using Stones audiences as an example)

Jostorm was lucky enough (or persistent enough) to get a ticket for this show. Hopefully she'll fill us in on how it was "

The United States has always had a very special affinity for THE WHO !!!!!!!!!!!

Jacky Cakes !

18th June 2006 05:24 PM
Gazza
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Bring on the boot!...Wonder if/when this show will be on that Who website as previously mentioned by Pete I think?...

do you mean the LongLiveRock authorised bit torrent site?

Its not there yet. I dont know for sure but my personal guess is that they'll only include old shows on that site and (like 2002 and 2004) continue to sell each show from this tour - with much of the proceeds going to charity - officially
[Edited by Gazza]
18th June 2006 05:25 PM
Gazza
quote:
Joey wrote:
The United States has always had a very special affinity for THE WHO !!!!!!!!!!!

of course they have. But for new or obscure songs at the expense of old, more familiar ones?
18th June 2006 05:27 PM
Joey
quote:
Gazza wrote:

of course they have. But for new or obscure songs at the expense of old, more familiar ones?

I say , " YES !!!! "

I also say ... , " Sell Corn "

J.
18th June 2006 05:53 PM
lotsajizz Fuck YEAH!!!

18th June 2006 07:50 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
Gazza wrote:
What omissions do you mean? they seem to have played most of the 'essentials'. 'My generation' is gone - well, for a bunch of 60 year olds, maybe its about time.

Yes, My Generation for one.
5:15, Love Reign O'er Me, Magic Bus, Anyway Anyhow Anywhere, and The Kids Are Alright, too.
Nothing at all from Quadrophenia.

quote:
Gazza wrote:
I think whats most noteworthy is the amount of new, and unreleased songs! After so many years of predictable setlists, its a refreshing change to see a Who show with some surprises.

If their US audience are as uninspiring and nostalgia-obsessed as you suggest, the concession stands are welcome to them. Is this obsession with just playing the hits and nothing else a US phenomenon or something? I dont get the impression audiences are so locked into that attitude in Europe (I'm using Stones audiences as an example).

Couldn't agree more.
Can't wait to hear the new 'oo stuff - at last!!

Maybe the hits thing is a US only phenomenon.
Springsteen's recent European tour went down a storm, but it's playing to half empty houses in the US.
18th June 2006 10:54 PM
sirmoonie The WHO!

The WHO, man.

The Who! Maximum R&B.
19th June 2006 12:27 AM
IanBillen
Where is this album?

I LOVE the old WHO. They are, over all my second favorite group.

But....The Who is not really The Who any more. Secondly, all these tours are nothing more than rehash from the one a few years earlier. No new stuff in like....24, 25 years!

If you still are going promote yourself as a working band, and go on tour, let alone still are using The Who's name... a 24-25 year studio absence is quite unacceptable to me.

This album, and all the talk of the new Who stuff we were supposed to get, after all these years is just a Who's version of the now supposed Guns and Roses album Chinese Democracy.

Like I say the old Who to me is immeasurable and are my second fav. New Who is like, a joke and has been for years now.

Ian
19th June 2006 05:43 AM
jostorm Just a quickie for now (sorry, but I'm super-busy at work)

This was my very first Who concert ever.
I could recite Tommy and Quadrophenia word by word, but somehow (I really don't know why) I've never been a real Who fan. I have all their albums, though. (And this is just some background for what I'll say next, for which I'll get slaughtered, no doubt).
Personally, I would have absolutely loved it if they would have just faithfully reproduced the old Live At Leeds setlist, and I'm surely not alone at feeling like this. Also, it is absolutely not true that the new stuff went down a storm with the audience. By the way, that setlist is wrong, Seeker was played much later,about two thirds through the night, but by the time they had played Who are you,Can't explain and Substitute, the room was on bloody fire, everyone was dancing and I was so excited I could have propped up my drink on my husband's (or Joey's, had he been there) penis.
Then they felt compelled to play new stuff, which really I would prefer to listen to in the privacy of my home a dozen times before it gets offered to me live.
And here's the neverending debate: I'm not a fan, so I would have loved "the best of", a recital of warhorses - the exactly same thing I endlessly complain about when the Stones do it.
To those who may say my opinion doesn't count because I am not a true fan I have only one word for : "whatever!"
But I got up at 4:30am to drive to Leeds last Friday and was in a queue from 6am to 9am and by 9:17 had my two tickets. Met a lot of cool people, and had a blast. BUT during the new stuff people's heads had stopped bouncing and when you looked back at peoples'faces they looked bored shitless. The bar had a terrific turn-over and the toilets were heaving with smokers during the new material.
They made up for it later, listening to "Behind blue eyes" was awesome, and all in all I had a fantastic time, it was a true party in a fairly intimate setting.
To all the setlist whingers out there: I NOW know why the Stones play mainly the same old crap again and again, because they have found an extremely successful recipe for selling out big places to loads of non-fans. The Who are perhaps much more fan-oriented and I'm sure there were some true Who fans in there wetting their pants when the new material was on, but I personally could have lived without it.
They filmed the whole thing, so you'll be able to judge for yourselves when the DVD comes out.
Oh, and another difference to the Stones: EVERYONE was taking pictures on their phone and no one seemed to bother saying a word. At Olympia when the Stones were equally filming, I saw three people do the same in front of me , within one minute four security people were transporting them out onto the parisian sidewalk.
So, all in all, I loved it, I had a fantastic time listening to a brilliant band playing in a small club. Just one criticism: I wanted "Tattoo" and didn't get it, but such is life....
19th June 2006 05:48 AM
Gazza thanks - its a bit different to the complaint about the Stones playing new songs though, because these new songs arent known by anyone at all, as the album isnt out yet - dont ya think? Its always a bit risky to play songs that are unknown to everyone, and not just the 'casual' fans.

Stones fans dont really have much excuse for not knowing new songs - and (like the Who) theyd have sold out before the audience knew what to expect.

Nice review. Glad you enjoyed it.
[Edited by Gazza]
19th June 2006 06:00 AM
Jumping Jack No DVD of the first show is expected. All others will be filmed. Presumably this was the trial run rehearsal for the filming to get the bugs out. The CD is for sale.

No dobt the new material will get stronger as it is played more often. I am quite sure 5:15 and other Quad songs will be rotated in due time. All the more reason to catch multiple shows.

OK, where is the fall schedule of shows???

http://www.themusic.com/search.cfm?encore=64&sidebar=encore_list&keyword=combo
19th June 2006 06:06 AM
lotsajizz if you have a new album coming out, you should be playing that, not greatest hits only

19th June 2006 06:12 AM
jostorm Absolutely, Gazza, if the new album had been released already it would make total sense...
19th June 2006 07:18 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
jostorm wrote:
Absolutely, Gazza, if the new album had been released already it would make total sense...

new songs should be worked up live before being committed to album...much, if not most, great rock music evolved that way...if people show up to hear the same ol' ALL the time, you're just a nostalgia act

Pete does not want to be a nostalgia act

19th June 2006 08:59 AM
Jumping Jack A friend with TM connections told me The Who is trying to book Phillips in the beginning of November, but that f'ing communist slut from Hollywood has the date they want already booked. Pete should just smack Babs over the head with his guitar, kick the bitch to the street, and take the date. Then she will have some Memories!
19th June 2006 09:40 AM
jostorm I heard from someone at the gig that the "reason" The Who played the Refectory at Leeds University at all is due to the following: the University had commissioned a bronze plaque commemorating the original gig 36 years ago and wrote to The Who (as they are touring anyway) ..."would they mind sending someone to unveil it?". The Who answered "we will do one better, we'll just play another gig". Which I find immensely cool, but if THAT ain't nostalgia, Pete, then I don't know what is....Not to mention the new Live in Leeds t-shirts for £25 a throw!
When they came onstage Pete screamed "We're all back!!!!" Then he said "But who are you?" and the song started...

I have always found it immensely amusing how people who never ever go to most of the concerts whose setlists they are fiercely criticising can spend hours and hours hypothesising about how "it" has to be done and which song would have been so much better than any other....
As far as I know I'm the only one from this board (so far) who was actually present at the gig, and I say the new songs were a bummer and they sucked. So there! I also say that I am not alone feeling like this, as the intense traffic around the bar and the toilets as well as the immediate cessation of any dancing activity attested on the night in question.I would have rather heard either the original setlist (just for the kicks) or many more old songs instead of some obscure songs that noone will be able to listen to until July at least.
So, to sum it up, it was fantastic but I didn't much care for the new stuff. And this is just my opinion, which I am perfectly entitled to have, at least on my side of the pond. Just as you are entitled to have yours.
I shall see them again next Sunday at Harewood and will give the new stuff another chance, will let you know....
Shalom!
19th June 2006 10:11 AM
Gazza
quote:
jostorm wrote:
As far as I know I'm the only one from this board (so far) who was actually present at the gig,

dont fuckin' rub it in or anything
19th June 2006 10:15 AM
geecee I was at Brighton last night and it was a cracking night.
19th June 2006 10:19 AM
Jumping Jack geecee,
What was your take on the new stuff?
19th June 2006 10:30 AM
Joey " Then they felt compelled to play new stuff, which really I would prefer to listen to in the privacy of my home a dozen times before it gets offered to me live.
And here's the neverending debate: I'm not a fan, so I would have loved "the best of", a recital of warhorses - the exactly same thing I endlessly complain about when the Stones do it.
To those who may say my opinion doesn't count because I am not a true fan I have only one word for : "whatever!"
But I got up at 4:30am to drive to Leeds last Friday and was in a queue from 6am to 9am and by 9:17 had my two tickets. Met a lot of cool people, and had a blast. BUT during the new stuff people's heads had stopped bouncing and when you looked back at peoples'faces they looked bored shitless. The bar had a terrific turn-over and the toilets were heaving with smokers during the new material.
They made up for it later, listening to "Behind blue eyes" was awesome, and all in all I had a fantastic time, it was a true party in a fairly intimate setting."

That's cool --- The new stuff will catch on when it is all finally released to the public . And if it doesn't ?!?! .. Who cares ?!?!?! Really -- Watching / hearing Pete Townshend play guitar is worth the price of admission alone .

Jacky !
19th June 2006 10:54 AM
geecee
quote:
Jumping Jack wrote:
geecee,
What was your take on the new stuff?

Well..........
I like it , but i dont find it has any immediancy about it,its not in you face like some songs.The pieces seem a bit disjointed when they seque into one another.Mirror Door the last bit is turning into a rockier tune live thats for sure.
I must admit it was a bit of an atmoshere hoover with the majority , but having heard most of it before i enjoyed it.
I was more put out by the ommision of My Generation , i'm all for more obscure set lists , but its a blinding live
song.

[Edited by geecee]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)