ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

© 1981 TFC
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Warm Up Acts for Stones in Europe Return to archive Page: 1 2
16th June 2006 06:32 PM
Gazza
quote:
glencar wrote:
they need arenas, those euros...

we should have got them too. Quite a lot of people (myself included) are long bored with stadiums and the sort of shows that they become as a result

Plenty of arenas last tour, but due to Cohl's ridiculous demands this time, the shows are exclusively stadiums because they have to get their 'guarantee' or theyre not interested. As a result, the non-US markets get fobbed off with stadium shows.

This crap about poor ticket sales is a bit over-exaggerated for the most part. Most of the US shows were in arenas and the bulk of stadiums in Europe are much bigger than those in the US. Pretty hard for any band to sell out a 60-70,000 capacity stadium when theyve doubled the prices in the space of three years. If any city is able to sell 45-50,000 tickets for a stadium show thats not bad. It just looks worse if the stadium holds 75,000

Tickets also sell slower in Europe because the band dont tour over here until the album has been out for a year so the 'hype' is a lot slower.

By the time the tour ends next year the Stones will probably have played 35 - 40 shows in Europe over the two summers to crowds of in excess of 1.5 million people.

and you can bet your ass that when they play Germany next year when theres no World Cup to compete with ,the tickets will sell pretty well (every time the Stones tour Europe in a World Cup year, they struggle to sell tickets in the host country - see Italy 1990, France 1998)

hardly that embarrassing.
[Edited by Gazza]
16th June 2006 06:36 PM
Dan
quote:

But anyway, do you want to further please me... by describing, .... Kasbian, because, so far, they sound like a Horrific Irani terrorist N/bombexperience (even with ear plugs..)

It looks like a common entry in the Glendale,California phone book to me.
17th June 2006 07:38 PM
Gazza The Kooks get Stones invite

Legendary supergroup The Rolling Stones have invited indie rockers The Kooks to support them at their upcoming gig at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff on August 29.

The Stones will play in the Welsh capital as part of the European leg of their 'A Bigger Bang' world tour.

The Kooks have had a storming 2006, with their debut album 'Inside In/Inside Out' reaching number three in the album chart. And their support slot at the sold out show in the principality will surely be the icing on the cake.

Frontman Luke Pritchard told the NME: "This is schoolboy stuff. Playing with the coolest band to walk the earth is pretty fine, man."

Feeder and The Charlatans will support the Stones during their two gigs at Twickenham Stadium in London on August 20 and 22 respectively, with the Charlatans to support the rockers during their show at Hampden Park in Glasgow on August 25.

The support act for the Stones' gig at the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield on August 27 is yet to be announced.

Meanwhile, The Kooks will release their new single, titled 'She Moves In Her Own Way', on June 26.

www.virgin.net
18th June 2006 12:49 PM
JesusMe Simple Minds? Ha they are that 80s band that had that song Dont You Forget About Me that was in The Breakfast Club movie
18th June 2006 06:51 PM
hotlicks toots will do just fine for me and mrs hotlicks.......amsterdam here we come.......should we sample some cookies ????
18th June 2006 07:23 PM
Gazza are you going to the new Paris show as well?
19th June 2006 02:44 AM
FotiniD Oh, I'd just love Kasabian as a support act, too bad there's just Feeder in Milan I agree with you Angie, they do have a sound that reminds me Kula Shaker as well and I love them for that

Either way, the support is just what it is: the support. I can never get to pay enough attention to it, it's like eating peanuts when there's a beautiful patsitsio waiting at the oven

There's one single time that the support act was WAY better than the main act for me so far, and that's when Robert Plant opened for Sting. Robert Plant OPENING for Sting?! What were they thinking? I loved every single minute of Robert's performance and then just left. How can you sit through "Roxanne" once you've heard "Stairway"?
20th June 2006 09:06 AM
corgi37 The choice of Toots as opener in Amsterdam is no doubt due to the dope cafes.
20th June 2006 09:19 AM
Honky Tonk Man There are some decent warm up acts there. I'm disappointed to see Feeder and Starsailor are warming up again, but let’s hope the TBA for Sheffield will turn into The Arctic Monkeys. I don't know why I'm bothering, after all, I'm there to see the Stones, but for the ridiculous prices we're all forking out, it'd be nice to catch a decent opener too.
20th June 2006 11:20 AM
Saint Sway
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
I'm there to see the Stones, but for the ridiculous prices we're all forking out, it'd be nice to catch a decent opener too.

I still can not fathom the reasoning behind booking opening acts like Alanis Morrisette, Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Antigone Rising, John Mayer, The Metrics, Jewell, Trews....

I cant imagine any Stones fan would want to watch any of those bands
20th June 2006 11:27 AM
erikjjf
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
I still can not fathom the reasoning behind booking opening acts like Alanis Morrisette, Black Eyed Peas, Maroon 5, Antigone Rising, John Mayer, The Metrics, Jewell, Trews....

John Mayer Trio (with Steve Jordan and Pino Palladino) were really good in Philadelphia. They played a Hendrix song (think it was Wind Cries Mary).
Where/when did Jewel open for the Stones?
20th June 2006 12:09 PM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

Well, they're the kind of acts, which open in the States. The reason being because obviously Cohl and co believes they're the kind of warm ups that on a whole, you guys are going to dig. I know YOU don't, but I guess that maybe Middle America does. We don't get that over here because I think as a nation, overall we're a little more into the current crop of rock 'n' roll groups.
20th June 2006 12:16 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Well, they're the kind of acts, which open in the States. The reason being because obviously Cohl and co believes they're the kind of warm ups that on a whole, you guys are going to dig. I know YOU don't, but I guess that maybe Middle America does. We don't get that over here because I think as a nation, overall we're a little more into the current crop of rock 'n' roll groups.

I AM SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING BECOMING AN EX-PATRIOT!
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)