ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: show of the year - all bands Return to archive
06-22-03 06:36 PM
mac_daddy I have not heard the Enmore or the Circus Krone shows yet, so Budokan gets my vote for best Stones show of the year, but...

I just listened to Neil Young @ Bonnaroo, and it is absolutely fantastic!!!

Listen for yourself - if you have Bit Torrent installed, simply open this *.torrent file to start the download. It is flying, so it will only take a few hours to complete, but the offer is only up for a few more days; if you want it, get it NOW...

what other shows, Stones or otherwise, are contenders for "live performance of the year?"

honorable mention would have to go to Gov't Mule's 5+ hour show at NOLA Jazzfest ("the Deepest End") last month...

[Edited by mac_daddy]
06-22-03 06:40 PM
mac_daddy NY and Crazy Horse @ Bonnaroo 2003 setlist

Love To Burn
Sedan Delivery
Powderfinger
Hey Hey, My My
Cortez The Killer
Fuckin' Up
Like A Hurricane
Be The Rain
Cinnamon Girl
Rockin' In The Free World
Roll Another Number
Down by the River (encore)
06-22-03 07:00 PM
Lazy Bones
Day 1: A test of strength

By MICHAEL FLANNAGAN, [email protected]
June 14, 2003

This is the first journal entry from staff reporter Michael Flannagan on the 2003 Bonnaroo Music Festival.

Who knew trying to see 60 bands in three days could be equal to an endurance test, but after extraordinary performances by Sonic Youth, Jack Johnson, Lucinda Williams and Neil Young and Crazy Horse, ones love for music increases tenfold. The first day at the Bonnaroo Music Festival was hot on stage and off.

Antibalas Afrobeat Orchestra kicked things off with a funky set. Swaying sun dresses and kicking up the dirt were in fashion during the bands set.

Jack Johnson was next � I think. It's funny keeping up with all the bands but as they say in baseball you can't tell the players without a score card and the Bonnaroo map and schedule booklet became my best friend. Along with News Sentinel photographer Saul Young, whose incredible shots are available on knoxnews.com.

Bonnaroo featured unexpected surpises for music fans, as when Emmylou Harris made an appreance during Lucinda Williams' set on Friday afternoon. The duo sang "Greeneville," from Williams' "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road" release. Williams called Harris "the Grace Kelly of Country music."

Lucinda Williams also perfomed solidly with her band � Doug Pettibone on steel guitar and electric guitar stood out on solos and setting the mood of the songs.

Lucinda Williams set list:
# Drunkin Angel
# Ocean of Love
# Fruits of my labor
# I think I lost it
# Sweet side
# Greeneville
# Still I long for your kiss
# Rightously
# Real live bleeding fingers and broken guitar strings (dedicated to Paul Westerberg).

Then was the first tough decsion of the day: Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals or Sonic Youth. I choose Sonic Youth.
With feedback and guitarist Thurston Moore's use of a drum stick between the strings and neck of the guitar the band propelled through a great sounding set including "She is not Alone," Empty Page," "Bull in the Heather" and "Kool things."

Besides the sounds at Bonnaroo, taking in all the sights is equally challenging. Between the individuals (hippies, punks and normal looking people) � just kidding � are in abundance. Fairy wings, tattoos-women and men with spray painted body parts and people rolling, and dancing in the mud.

While waiting for Neil Young and Crazy Horse to hit the stage on Friday night. Knoxville music legend Todd Steed talked about his job as a van shuttle driver. Steed introduced Emmylou Harris to Sonic Youth during one transport.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse hit the stage at 9:42 p.m. and opened with a 18 minute version of "Love to Burn."
Crazy Horse - guitarist Frank "Poncho" Sampedro, drummer Ralph Molina and Bassist Billy Talbot created a beautiful explosion of sound.

Young encouraged the audience who became delirious with each song with shouts of BONNAROOOOOOOOO!!!

During "Rockin' in the Free World" the lyric "We got a kinder, gentler machine gun hand" Young added "What a pile of S##t."

Neil Young and Crazy Horse set:
# Love to burn
# Sedan Delivery
# Powder Finger
# Hey Hey My My (Into the black)
# Cortez
# F###in up
# Hurricane
# Be the rain
# Cinnamon Girl
# Rockin in the Free World
# Roll another number
# Down by the River
06-22-03 07:05 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
NY and Crazy Horse @ Bonnaroo 2003 setlist

Love To Burn
Sedan Delivery
Powderfinger
Hey Hey, My My
Cortez The Killer
Fuckin' Up
Like A Hurricane
Be The Rain
Cinnamon Girl
Rockin' In The Free World
Roll Another Number
Down by the River (encore)

A sweet set, indeed. Just to add...Be The Rain - Roll Another Number was the 1st encore; DBTR was the 2nd.

Tomorrow night I see Neil in Toronto. Anyone else gonna be there?

Just a note if anyone has tickets for the Bridge School Benefit at the Hard Rock on Yonge Street with Astrid Young tomorrow night, the show's been postponed until September. Many people bought tickets hoping the Neil would make a surprie appearance after his show at the Air Canada Centre.
06-22-03 07:19 PM
mac_daddy thanks for the info...

I am catching him when he comes to town later in the summer...
06-22-03 07:48 PM
luridchief My vote goes for the Stones in Cleveland--and I was there!
06-22-03 08:07 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
luridchief wrote:
My vote goes for the Stones in Cleveland--and I was there!

haven't heard that one yet.
06-22-03 08:20 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
haven't heard that one yet.

You've got PM.
06-22-03 08:21 PM
mac_daddy ny + ch @ bonnaroo cover art
06-23-03 01:38 AM
Gimme Shelter Now I', really hyped!!! I'll see in Neil next month in Concord.
Gimme Shelter Now I'm, really hyped!!! I'll see in Neil next month in Concord.
Gimme Shelter Now, I'm really hyped!!! I'll see Neil next month in Concord.
06-23-03 01:39 AM
Gimme Shelter Sorry for repeating.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003