ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: has ron wood ever sang lead with the rolling stones? Return to archive
06-13-03 09:15 PM
gringo300 i know that mick jagger and keith richards have both sang lead with the rolling stones, and that ron wood has sang lead on his own solo material.

06-13-03 10:34 PM
moy never
06-13-03 10:46 PM
gringo300 and i'm pretty sure that bill wyman has sung lead on his own solo material.

06-14-03 05:56 PM
Monkey Woman And Bill sang lead on 'In Another Land', from Satanic Majesties Request album. He wrote the song and recorded it with Charlie before playing it to Mick and Keith. They liked it (and were probably at the time lacking material of their own, being 'under the influence of bail', among other things), so it was included in the album Their Satanic Majesties Request and also released as a single.
06-14-03 06:23 PM
gotdablouse Yes Mick does most of the singing, good catch ;-)

I think that Ron does sing lead on one of ther "Can't Cut The Mustard" outtakes (later to become Had it With You) from the 1985 sessions in Paris
06-14-03 06:46 PM
Soul Survivor Can't Cut The Mustard?

Clue me in guys...
06-14-03 11:50 PM
sammy davis jr. Thank god- no he hasn't
06-15-03 12:34 AM
gringo300 i've heard that brian jones WANTED to sing lead in the rolling stones, but i don't know if he ever did or not.

06-15-03 12:38 AM
Soul Survivor No he never sang lead with the Stones.....you can clearly hear his backing vocals on some tracks though
06-15-03 07:09 AM
gotdablouse Like I said, "Can't Cut The Mustard" is an outtake from the '85 sessions in Paris that became "Had It With You", the only (?) Stones tune with no bass guitar!

I think it first appeared on the "All Mixed Up" OBR bootleg and then on "Jamming With Stu" in better quality. It could well be Ron singing version 1 as it sounds like a cat screeching ;-)
06-17-03 11:32 AM
jjkflsh Ron never sang lead on any Stones recordings as of yet. Only other stone other than Sir Mick & Lord Richards , is ofcourse Bill Wyman. As for the bootleg sessions "jamming with stu" disc 2, track 6 You Can't Cut The Mustard , Ron does have some lead vocals, but its mainly Keith. I think Ron's more vocals 1985 era more then any other Stones Recordings was due to the lack of presence of "ole bums worth jagger"!!!
06-18-03 03:10 AM
marko Well keith&ronnie did sure the one you need in 1975 tour,and
sang it together.
06-18-03 05:36 AM
Mathijs Ron wood sings lead on I'm Gonna Drive from 1995. Brian Jones sings lead on a 1965 song that was lately auctioned at Sotheby's (but I completely forgot the name of the song).

Mathijs
06-18-03 07:52 AM
steel driving hammer Hey what was the other single out besides I'm Gonna Drive round that time? Not Fancy Man or Cook Cook it was more up tempo. Anyone remember? Think it was a B side to Out Of Tears? Guessing not off Steel Wheels either. Thanks.
06-18-03 09:36 AM
Mathijs Jump on Top Of Me and So Young.

Mathijs
06-18-03 09:41 AM
steel driving hammer Ahh, no. There was another up tempo great riff single.

Durring Voodoo Lounge on the Out Of Tears single w/ 5 songs, I'm Gonna Drive is one of them on it.

It'l come to me.
06-18-03 10:08 AM
jjkflsh Ron did not sing lead on I'm gonna drive from 1995. As far as Brian Jones, it is a rumor that he sang lead on Shades Of Orange , I have listen to this track several times , it sounds like Bill to me , anybody know about this?
06-18-03 11:36 AM
nankerphelge Ronnie did sing Honky Tonk Women on the Live at the Ritz with Bo Didley. You've heard better!!!

Can't recall off hand if he sang any other Stones tunes on there.
06-18-03 12:58 PM
Factory Girl I think Ronnie has a better voice than Keith.
06-19-03 04:21 AM
Mathijs >Ron did not sing lead on I'm gonna drive from 1995. As far >as Brian Jones, it is a rumor that he sang lead on Shades >Of Orange , I have listen to this track several times , it >sounds like Bill to me , anybody know about this?

Put I'm Gonna Drive in your CD player, wait until the first chorus comes up and shiver: Ron sings lead with Mick.

Shades of Orange is by the group "The End", produced by Bill Wyman and has Collin Givin on vocals.

About a year ago an acetate of a Brian Jones penned song and sung by him was auctioned at Sotheby's. A picture of the acetate was featured in Record Collector, but I still can't come up with the name of the song.
06-19-03 07:29 AM
Maxlugar Of course Ronnie has not sang lead vocal on a Stones song!

But the better question is "Has Ronnie Played guitar live on stage since 1976 with the Stones?"

[[[[CA-SMACKO!!!]]]]

Bob Costas: "My Lord Mel, the kid has been on the DL for a few months and he steps right up to the plate and knocks a quick one out! The game missed him!"

Mel Allen: "Oh the game missed him alright. As much as I miss my life. Hey! Take my LIFE, please! Ha ha ha!"

Bob Costas: "Ha ha. Say Mel, you've got a little dandruff here on your shoulder, let me help you out here...GOOD GOD! Those are maggots!

Mel and Bob together, leaning back: HA HA HA HA HA!!!!

{{{{THUD!!}}}}

Bob Costas: "Can someone put Mel's head back on?!?!"

Mel Allen's Head: "HOW ABOUT THAT!"

MACKY!!
06-19-03 08:09 AM
steel driving hammer Big Daddy Maxy!!

Joey has been thinking he was you for the past 3 months!!

Hope things are well.

06-19-03 08:13 AM
J.J.Flash Maxlugar, what a long time.... People here have noticed your absence.....What's up! Is everything OK?
Take care!
Regards!
[Edited by J.J.Flash]
06-19-03 11:47 AM
Maxlugar [quote]steel driving hammer wrote:

"Joey has been thinking he was you for the past 3 months!!"

3 months?

06-19-03 11:49 AM
steel driving hammer Sorry, 3 years! LOL!

But ain't that the truth!!!

06-19-03 07:34 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy "I'm Gonna Drive"?

I must get my hands on a copy.

Anyhow...

...as for Ronnie singin' lead - the reason why "Shattered" sounds so weird is because Ronnie's backing vocals are turned up above Keith's, which rarely happens.

Also, Keith and Ronnie used to sound identical in their upper ranges, but Keith's always had that richer voice when he talks. Ronnie sounds like Bob Dylan getting shot in the throat.

-tSYX --- Uh! Shidoobeh... shat-tered...
06-20-03 05:24 AM
beer TSYX,
"I'm gonna Drive" aint that great at all.worth listenin to once or twice though,i guess.

"Shattered" sounds weird? i always thought it was absolutely perfect. i love that fuckin song

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003