ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Fellow Stoners..... Return to archive
06-12-03 04:01 PM
Soul Survivor My question to you is, what do you rate the album "Wandering Spirit" on a scale of 1 to 15. I give it a 12. I just rediscovered this disc. Incredible......on Mick's solo standards anyway. "Wired All Night", "Sweet Thing", "Out Of Focus", "Don't Tear Me Up", "Put Me In The Trash", "Mother Of A Man", and "Think" are all great, but it does have alot of filler on it. What do you all think of this album, and what do you think of Mick's other solo efforts?
06-12-03 04:04 PM
parmeda Soulie, I'm so happy that you stumbled and fell, lol...
I think WS is a great solo effort by our beloved Mick.

I give it a 12 also.
06-12-03 04:07 PM
Moonisup great album

best "stones" album next to voodoo lounge of the nineties
06-12-03 04:09 PM
Soul Survivor
quote:
parmeda wrote:
Soulie, I'm so happy that you stumbled and fell, lol...
I think WS is a great solo effort by our beloved Mick.

I give it a 12 also.

I stumbled and fell because I was "Out Of Focus" with the greatness of this album
06-12-03 04:12 PM
parmeda LOL...there ya go!
Take two you 'Sweet Thang' and call me in the morning...
06-12-03 04:18 PM
Soul Survivor I'll have to "Think" about that one
06-12-03 04:20 PM
parmeda rotf....Don't Tear Me Up, Soulie
06-12-03 04:28 PM
Soul Survivor Your an "Angel In My Heart"
06-12-03 04:30 PM
parmeda Are you tryin' to USE ME?
06-12-03 04:55 PM
Soul Survivor No, dont "Put Me In The Trash"....
06-12-03 04:58 PM
parmeda good...I'm glad you used your head to THINK
06-12-03 04:59 PM
Soul Survivor But if I did use you, we could be "Wired All Night"
06-12-03 05:05 PM
parmeda Don't go battin' them bedroom eyes to get the EVENING GOWN off either...
06-13-03 08:55 AM
Factory Girl Yes, indeedy, Wondering Spirit Is a great album-Mick's best solo effort. My fave tune-Evening Gown.
06-13-03 12:34 PM
Monkey Woman Hmmm... I'd give it 12 or even 13. I love WS the best among Mick's solo albums. The title tune is simply awesome. Wired All Night is a great rocker, and Angel In My Heart a pure jewel. Beautiful...
06-13-03 12:42 PM
Gimme Shelter I love "Wondering Spirit", I only wish it would have been a Stones album and they would have toured behind it.
06-13-03 12:53 PM
Sir Stonesalot I generously give it a 3 out of 10.

Overproduced, overproduced, overproduced.

Contrived. Tame. No focus. Very little risk taking.

Saw it used for $3.00...let it sit.

Blech.
06-13-03 03:41 PM
T&A 1-15 scale? Okay - well prolly about an 11. Would have loved to heard what the Stones could have done with these songs, most of which are above average for the Stones in the 90's... Sort of like the flip-side of Talk is Cheap - would have liked to have Stones spin on those tunes, too.
06-14-03 12:48 AM
Sir Stonesalot Yeah, but the thing is...the Stones WEREN'T on them. I'd like to have heard what the Stones would have done with some of those songs as well. But even with the Stones playing on them, I doubt that they could have salvaged anything.

The rub is that you can't judge these solo efforts by what they MIGHT have sounded like IF the Stones had done them. You have to take those albums at face value. And for me, the face value isn't even $3.00. If you take all of Jagger's solo records, and get rid of all the filler...you don't have much left to sink your teeth into. It's crap...even compared to Dirty Work.
06-18-03 05:57 PM
Beatle Neil Sir Stonesalot said he saw 'Wandering spirit' in the 2nd hand rack and still wasn't tempted to buy it.
I don't blame him there - I picked up my copy of 'Voodoo Lounge' in the used/2nd section too.....within a month (easily) of its release.
And it wasn't hard to see why and how it got there so quickly once I heard it. And what a very expensive e.p. that one was. 'Moon is up' is the only song off it that I'll listen to now.......Kinda weird how I love that one song to bits but don't consider anything else off that album as good as it.
06-18-03 07:33 PM
Highwire Rob I originally bought WS because Don't Tear Me Up is one of my all-time favorite songs. On my first listen to the entire album I thought, "How the F**k did I miss this great stuff before!" [Rating: No lower than a 13]

WANDERING SPIRIT & MAIN OFFENDER are mainstays in my CD player carousel.
[Edited by Highwire Rob]
06-20-03 06:18 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
I generously give it a 3 out of 10.

Overproduced, overproduced, overproduced.

Contrived. Tame. No focus. Very little risk taking.

Saw it used for $3.00...let it sit.

Blech.

Hah! I keep quiet about Wandering Spirit because after buying it I just said "What are people yakking about?"

I personally don't like it. It has that layer of gloss over it and Mick's positively inane lyrics that really don't make it very good at all.

Honestly, Goddess In The Doorway had some better tunes on it than all the songs on this one. "Wired All Night" was pretty good, but I think Mick really needs Keith's 'back to basics' lyrics to get him anywhere, just as Keith needs Mick's "We are doing a rock song, damnit" mentality to keep him strumming.

-tSYX --- We get a-wiiiiirrrred allllll night!

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003