ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

The New barbarians Backstage - May 1979?
or The Emotional Rescue Sessions - Compass Point Studios, Nassau February 1979 ??
By Henry Diltz

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: South African Airlines digs Stones Return to archive
06-20-02 12:29 PM
padre Just got back from Mosambik. The flight was very long from Switzerland and I had prepared myself with cd player and and a good pile of Stones' cd's. Imagine my surprise when I checked the plane's own audio channel: ONE WHOLE CHANNEL DEDICATED TO THE STONES! The tracks were the obvious ones with a few surprises (She's a Rainbow, Continental Drift, live version of Little Red Rooster) but anyway it was the best flight entertainmentwise that I've ever had!
The mix consisted of 27 tracks presented by Paul Sexton and spiced with short comments from the band members. Way to go South African Airlines! Rock on.
06-20-02 12:43 PM
Tom Just because of that, go Stones and rock South Africa!!!
06-20-02 02:20 PM
Scot Rocks "Hello South African Airlines"

"Yeah I'd like a seat on your next flight..."

Well this story is certainly refreshing, firstly on airlines the audio stations which you can plug into, are usually a mix of pop or other pop stations which they call classic rock. Moreover you said you took your CD player to listen to the Stones, well anytime i've been on a plane and they've seen me rocking to the Stones with my CD player they have told me to put it off straight away because of something to do with magnetic forces or somethin'. What a load of crap!!!!!it really pisses me off your sittin in a cramped space for 3-4 hours or somethin like that and you have a collection of stones stuff you can be listnin to and you have to refrain and listen to some 'golden oldie' which are repeated every half hour.

Mark
06-20-02 02:22 PM
Staffan What a coincidence; I experienced the same thing with Finnair (Finlands airline) when I flew to the States in 95!
Marko, do you know if they still have a Stones channel?
06-21-02 05:41 AM
padre Actually I am from Finland, but since Finnair doesn't fly straight to Mozambic, I had to change tha plane and airline in Zurich. Lucky for me. So the answer is no, Finnair does not have that kinda channel anymore (or not at least at the moment).
Contact your local airlines and tell them about the Stones 40th anniversary and that at least South African Airlines does this and it's a great success, so why won't you too...
The tracklisting on the plane was this:

1. BROWN SUGAR
2. 19TH NERVOUS BREAKDOWN
3. GET OFF OF MY CLOUD
4. IT'S ONLY ROCK 'N' ROLL (BUT I LIKE IT)
5. TUMBLING DICE
6. ROUTE 66 (LIVE)
7. LITTLE RED ROOSTER (LIVE)
8. LET'S SPEND THE NIGHT TOGETHER
9. STREET FIGHTING MAN
10. START ME UP
11. UNDERCOVER OF THE NIGHT
12. MIXED EMOTIONS
13. AS TEARS GO BY
14. RUBY TUESDAY
15. SHE'S A RAINBOW
16. MISS YOU
17. FLIP THE SWITCH
18. 2000 LIGHT YEARS FROM HOME
19. CONTINENTAL DRIFT
20. HAPPY
21. HONKY TONK WOMAN
22. YOU CAN'T ALWAYS GET WHAT YOU WANT
23. SYMPATHY FOR THE DEVIL
24. (I CAN'T GET NO) SATISFACTION
25. JUMPIN'JACK FLASH
26. WILD HORSES
27. ANYBODY SEEN MY BABY

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road