ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Keefs guitars.........? Return to archive
20th June 2004 05:36 AM
ben c Any one know anything about how keef sets up his 5 string arrangement keeping the strings evenly spaced across the fret board... ?
Ive a strat and want be sure what im doing if im going to try cut the nut or something.....
Are there any Keef signiture guitars around that are set up for 5 strings......?

Any info would be great to hear....

Thanks
20th June 2004 11:35 AM
scratched Keith doesn't keep the strings evenly spaced across the fretboard. He simply removes the bottom E string. That's it. All the remaining strings are left as they are. No need to cut that nut!
20th June 2004 12:24 PM
mac_daddy yes, do not alter the instrument, simply remove the 6th string (the low E)...

then tune the rest of the strings so when you you strum them open, they play a G cord...

do a google search for "open g tuning" and I am sure you will find all the info you need...
20th June 2004 01:26 PM
beer Keith did have Ted Newman Jones make him custum 5 string guitars back in '72 or so, that had the bridge and nut altered so the strings were evenly spaced on the fretboard. Nowadays he just removes the string and leaves the remaining strings normally spaced.
20th June 2004 01:40 PM
scratched Keith's 5-string open G tuning:

E -> D
B -> B
G -> G
D -> D
A -> G
E -> REMOVE

Hope this makes sense!

20th June 2004 02:44 PM
ben c Thanks for the replys.. Been playing open G for a while...
The reason for my post is I saw a close up of one of Keefs Tele's which had the 5 strings evenly spaced...

Thanks
21st June 2004 02:29 AM
stonedinaustralia you can also keep the E string on but tune it down to a D

this allows you to still do that standard "chuck berry" boogie as you would on a normally tuned guitar but you must go up two frets i.e. on standard tuned guitar for the key of "A" you would have the E string fretted on the fifth fret and the "A" string fretted on the seventh fret (and rocking on the ninth (and tenth) frets - with the guitar in open G and the E string down to a D to do the same thing (i.e. in A) you fret the 6th string on the seventh and the 5th string on the ninth fret with further fretting of the 5th string on the 11th and 12th frets)

am i making myself clear??

21st June 2004 02:37 AM
beer Playing Brown Sugar on an open G tuned guitar is one of the most fun riffs to play, ever. such a groove. It was meant to be!

you can imitate it on a standard tuned guitar, but it just aint the same.
21st June 2004 03:03 AM
IanBillen Glad you are getting it on as you wanted Thanks to all the guitar folks and yourself.
Don't forget the cigarretts.....
Ian
21st June 2004 03:37 AM
ben c
quote:
beer wrote:
Playing Brown Sugar on an open G tuned guitar is one of the most fun riffs to play, ever. such a groove. It was meant to be!

you can imitate it on a standard tuned guitar, but it just aint the same.

Im working on 'Can you hear me knocking' which is really fun to play.....too
21st June 2004 03:43 AM
beer Try "Sway" too. really easy to play. And one of the most underrated Stones Songs IMO.