ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Forbes Top 100 Celebrities: Stones #5 Return to archive
17th June 2004 11:36 PM
Soldatti Forbes Names Mel Gibson Most Powerful Celebrity

Thu Jun 17, 6:34 PM ET Add Entertainment - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Larry Fine

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Mel Gibson (news), whose controversial film "The Passion of the Christ" paid off big at the box office, is the year's most powerful celebrity, according to Forbes magazine's Celebrity 100 power rankings.

Gibson, who directed, produced and co-wrote the violent movie about the last hours of Jesus, earned $210 million and tremendous media buzz from the project, according to Forbes magazine, which factors in media attention to compare the biggest money-makers from various fields of entertainment.

Magazine covers, press clippings, TV and radio coverage and Internet hits are all factored into the rankings formula. Money earned in the last 12 months was used to identify the finalists in each category.

Golf star Tiger Woods, the leading money-maker among athletes with $80 million, was second on the list, followed by talk-show host Oprah Winfrey (news), who matched Gibson in earnings.

Actor Tom Cruise (news) ($45 million) was fourth, followed by venerable rock group Rolling Stones with $51 million. The band are up five places from last year, after boosting their mammoth tour revenue with a best-selling DVD.
"Harry Potter (news - web sites)" author J.K. Rowling (news - web sites) was sixth on the list, boosted by her earnings of $147 million.

"Very broadly, it's a combination of money and fame," said Peter Kafka, who wrote the Forbes story on the rankings in the issue on newsstands on Friday. "We divide the celebrity world into categories and we find the top earners in each category. The power list compares them."

Actress Jennifer Aniston (news), who topped the rankings last year, slipped to 17th place on the 2004 list.

Casualties from the previous list included singer/actress Jennifer Lopez (news), who ranked fifth last year, and her former fiancee and movie bomb "Gigli" co-star Ben Affleck (news), rated seventh in 2003. Both failed to make the 2004 list.

Other power-list dropouts were Eminem (news - web sites) and Dr. Dre, the performer and record producer who shared last year's No. 2 spot, and former reality show darlings The Osbournes (12th).

Former President Bill Clinton (news - web sites) ranked 51st this year with an income of $6.3 million that qualified him in the "speakers" category. Despite his relatively low income, Clinton ranked first of all 100 contenders in TV/radio attention, press clippings and Internet hits.

"There is intense interest in him still," said Kafka.

Clinton will likely climb higher in the power rankings next year when earnings and media attention from his hotly anticipated memoir, to be published next week, is factored in.

Stones on details:
Rolling Stones
Power Rank 5
Details / Rank
Pay $51 mil 11
Web Hits 741,000 25
Press Clips 19,562 9
TV/Radio 181 21
[Edited by Soldatti]
18th June 2004 11:32 AM
jb Only 51 million shared 4 ways?
18th June 2004 11:38 AM
Gazza yeah and they have to give Wyman $25 million to bring him back, if you believe some people!!!
18th June 2004 11:40 AM
jb
quote:
Gazza wrote:
yeah and they have to give Wyman $25 million to bring him back, if you believe some people!!!

Did you speak to Stonesdoug or VColorado Keno to see if there was any legitimacy to those claims. As a web administer, you have a responsibility to your members to follow up on even the most far fetched rumors....
18th June 2004 11:41 AM
caro Hey jb, look!

quote:
Web Hits 741,000

...there's your 10,000!^^ If you had been a little less lazy post-wise, you could've kicked Mel Gibson from #1.
18th June 2004 11:53 AM
Gazza >Did you speak to Stonesdoug or VColorado Keno to see if there was any legitimacy to those claims.

er, no..why should running a website qualify me or anyone else as more knowledgeable as to their validity than anyone else? the fact is, theres nothing to stop anyone coming on here and posting something they 'know' or have "heard from a reliable source". It happens every couple of weeks.

The fact is, had he posted just one of those "stories" it may have been just believable...but all of them? There were about half a dozen 'exclusives' in that post. every new 'exclusive' therefore made the other ones less likely or believable....

I posted in the relevant thread what Bjornulf said about it. Its basically what I believed as well.

>As a web administer, you have a responsibility to your members to follow up on even the most far fetched rumors....

LOL. you're the guy with the wealth. Get a P.I. on the case.
18th June 2004 11:55 AM
jb Unfortunately, there was a P.I. hired by my wife...
18th June 2004 03:45 PM
telecaster
quote:
jb wrote:
Unfortunately, there was a P.I. hired by my wife...

Ouch!
18th June 2004 03:56 PM
Moonisup
quote:
jb wrote:
Unfortunately, there was a P.I. hired by my wife...

Magnum???

http://www.timvp.com/magnum.html
[Edited by Moonisup]
18th June 2004 04:05 PM
telecaster Magnum is one of the top 3 shows of all time

I went to the estate when I was in Hawaii

Really beat up now. An old lady lives there and she doesn't do shit to keep it up