ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Amazing Covers by The Dead (nsc) Return to archive
17th June 2004 04:13 PM
Jaxx 2 nights down, 3 ahead at the acoustically perfect Red Rocks Amphitheatre with The Dead. what a mind blower. i wish this would never end. this band is rippin and ragin and the guitar work is unexpectedly astounding. bob weir, jimmy herring and warren haynes --fire on "the mountain" indeed! this into one helluva guitar bashing. if this band goes to your town, do yourself a favor and GO. forget the standards and jewels that emerged for the drooling deadhed--no stoneshead cares about those. but, check out the splendid tunes that have been covered (so far) the last 2 nights and with amazing reverence:

Eight Miles High
She Said
After Midnight
All Along the Watchtower
Death don't have no mercy (in this land)
Lucy In the Sky with Diamonds
Midnight Hour

17th June 2004 04:37 PM
jb Thanks Jaxx...it's great that in your limited posts, you are able to share the music of the Dead.
17th June 2004 04:40 PM
Joey

Jaxx ?!?!

Jaxxy ?!?!?!?!

Is that really you ?!?!?!

One thing about you Jaxx , you were always Minty Fresh and Man could you write a post .

Welcome home my Stonesian Sister !

" Oh , Stones Rule You Bastards ! "

D. J. Jercee Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !

Kurcee Joe Joe

17th June 2004 10:04 PM
Jaxx thanks you guys. i knew i could count on ya'll to read my post, if no one else. i just gotta say that those 2 dead shows were too good to keep a secret. gotta spread the word. any r&r, r&b or blues fan would be crazy to miss it.

17th June 2004 11:07 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
jb wrote:
Thanks Jaxx...it's great that in your limited posts, you are able to share the music of the Dead.

Josh with the big amount of posts why don't you realize that quality is always better than quantity
17th June 2004 11:15 PM
glencar Jaxx owes us 8000 jew lists!
17th June 2004 11:34 PM
mac_daddy glad you had fun, jaxx.

I have been down on the latst incarnation, but maybe they are playing a tighter gig nowadays - I felt they left alot to be desired last year...

that being said - they are overflowing with talent, jimmy herring and warren haynes are a dynamic guitar duo, and the old band is one of the best in the business...

glad to hear they are mixing it up with a few new/unexpected covers...
18th June 2004 12:29 AM
Zack Man, I'd love to go Jaxx, but I'm a bit far away from Red Rocks. By the way, the last four songs you mentioned have been part of the Dead's repetoire since long before Jerry died. In the late sixties, they used to jam on Midnight Hour with Pigpen for 45 minutes! Mercy was a regular part of the set, and resurrected in the early 90s a few times. Vince sang Lucy a few times near the end of the Jerry era. Enjoy the rest of the shows. Send me a tape!

18th June 2004 12:33 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Zack wrote:
Man, I'd love to go Jaxx, but I'm a bit far away from Red Rocks. By the way, the last four songs you mentioned have been part of the Dead's repetoire since long before Jerry died. In the late sixties, they used to jam on Midnight Hour with Pigpen for 45 minutes! Mercy was a regular part of the set, and resurrected in the early 90s a few times. Vince sang Lucy a few times near the end of the Jerry era. Enjoy the rest of the shows. Send me a tape!

yup - vince got them to do some of the psychadellic stuff towards the end...

death dont have no mercy is a classic and midnight hour was one of my favorite openers in the late 80s and early 90s (last one I saw was Boston Garden, Fall 1991)...

but 8 miles high is new to me, as is she said (but warren plays that one alot - including the last time I saw him, on April 20 of this year)...
[Edited by mac_daddy]
18th June 2004 12:46 AM
Jaxx this is just the beginning of the summer tour. while red rocks may be too far, try to catch this show somewhere near your town. alot of the fans were bitching about the addition of warren haynes in the mix. alot of folks were pleasantly surprised with the eclectic mix of guitar players.

that is the thing about the dead, grateful or not, rhey have always jammed spectacular covers-- this tour being no different in that respect. i guess that is the point of this post--this band can cover and cover well. i'm in the process of compiling a CD of my favorite standards covered by the grateful dead and jgb.

this is not the first time i have heard watchtower, lucy in the sky, midnight hour, after midnight. but i have to admit i never heard "death don't have no mercy" and coincidentally, they played that right after i mentioned to my concert companion (the guy keeping the Official Set List) that jimmy herring reminded me of jorma...next thing ya know, death don't have no mercy is filling the air.

check out the setlists and let me know which show(s) you want and i will get/burn you what you want.
18th June 2004 01:34 AM
T&A I'll be seeing them on 7/3 at the Gorge - with the friggin' Allman Brothers (and Robert Hunter) opening. Warren in both bands. This is going be ultra-special...
18th June 2004 07:28 AM
Factory Girl Jaxxy, check PM
18th June 2004 07:50 AM
Lazy Bones
quote:
T&A wrote:
I'll be seeing them on 7/3 at the Gorge - with the friggin' Allman Brothers (and Robert Hunter) opening. Warren in both bands. This is going be ultra-special...

Umm...ya!

That Warren. No stopping the guy. Worked over time at Bonnaroo with Mule and the Dead, too.

Got your email, Jaxx. Great reviews! You gotta pace yourself, woman!
18th June 2004 01:04 PM
Jaxx yeah. warren haynes. very very talented. very very understated. haynes and herring bring a real southern flair to the classic sound of the dead. 4 guitars 2 drummers and a keyboard on stage is quite a bit of layering.

its raining cats and dogs here. i hope it clears up. rain or shine, the show must go on. i would hate to see bobby get electrocuted.

--got your PMs and THANKS!!!hehe..check my responses. ;-)
[Edited by Jaxx]
18th June 2004 01:14 PM
Factory Girl Jaxxy, check PM.