ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Johnny Ramone -- sad news (nsc) Return to archive
15th June 2004 10:45 PM
parmeda RAMONES GUITARIST LOSING FIGHT WITH CANCER

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The guitarist with pioneering punk rock band the Ramones is fighting a losing a battle with cancer in a Los Angeles hospital, Rolling Stone magazine reported on its Web site on Tuesday.

Johnny Ramone, 55, whose real name is John Cummings, was diagnosed with prostate cancer four years ago, and it has now spread throughout his body, Rollingstone.com quoted the band's drummer, Marky Ramone, as saying.

"Johnny's been a champ in confronting this, but at this point I think the chances are slim," Marky Ramone said in the report. "John never smoked cigarettes, he wasn't a heavy drinker and he was always into his health. It just proves when cancer seeks a body to penetrate, it doesn't matter how healthy you are or how unhealthy you are. It just seeps in and there's nothing you can do."

The Ramones, famed for playing their high-energy, unpolished songs at breakneck speed, rose to fame in New York City in 1974, paving the way for such British punk rock icons as the Sex Pistols and the Clash.

The band made its mark with such tunes as "Blitzkrieg Bop," "Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue" and "Sheena Is a Punk Rocker," but it never achieved the same commercial success as acts that followed in its path. The Ramones officially retired in 1996.

The band's singer, Joey Ramone (ne Jeff Hyman), died in 2001 of lymphatic cancer, while bassist Dee Dee Ramone (Douglas Colvin) died from a drug overdose the following year.

**FILE PHOTO** Rolling Stone magazine reports Ramones guitarist Johnny Ramone is fighting a losing a battle with cancer in a Los Angeles hospital. Shown, Johnny Ramone, center, is flanked by bandmates Marky Ramone, right, and Dee Dee Ramone after being inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. (AP Photo/Kathy Willens)
15th June 2004 10:50 PM
glencar Damn! He was a pretty smart guy too.
16th June 2004 12:25 AM
sammy davis jr. Damn.....that doubly sucks.
16th June 2004 12:40 AM
Phog Goddamnit, this really bums me out. Triple sucks.
16th June 2004 03:28 AM
polksalad69 F*ck Cancer!!!
16th June 2004 03:57 AM
FotiniD
quote:
glencar wrote:
Damn! He was a pretty smart guy too.

He still is. No point in rushing, is there?

I can't even begin to describe my feelings on cancer, having lost my grandpa to it, it's the sickest and sneakiest disease that's ever been. And it sure has taken its toll with the Ramones, this is really awful.

I still believe in miracles though - you never ever know.
16th June 2004 08:03 AM
beer this is fucking horrible. what did they ever do to deserve this heaping pile of shitty luck?

very sad news.

Ramones now blasting in my stereo....
16th June 2004 08:26 AM
LadyJane I echo that beer!

Next to the Stones, the Ramones are one of my favorites!

FU to cancer!!

LJ.
16th June 2004 08:31 AM
beer Hi LJ.

I really can't believe this. i'm shocked about this. I encourage everyone to play the ramones right now.
16th June 2004 08:37 AM
LadyJane Hi beer!

I'm shocked also. First Joey..Now Johnny.

Horrible news.

I wanna be sedated!!

LJ.
16th June 2004 08:43 AM
beer it's a good thing i have tuesdays and wednesdays off from work, cuz i'm tore up now....

I Wanna Live
by Ramones

Album : Loco Live
Submitted by : Andrea
Corrected by : Greg Bell
Rated : 9.9 (16 votes)

I've been thinking it over
And I know just what to do
I've been thinking it over
And I know I just can't trust myself
I'm a Gypsy prince
Covered with diamonds and jewels
But then my lover exposes me
I know I'm just a damn fool

CHORUS:
I give what I've got to give,
I give what I need to live
I give what I've got to give, it's important if I want to live
I wanna live
I want to live my life
I wanna live
I want to live my life

As I load my pistol
Of fine German steel
I never thought I'd be so down and out
Having my last meal
But I know I can do it
It just took a few years
As I execute my killers
The morning is near

CHORUS

I wanna live
I want to live my life
I wanna live
I wanna live my life
I wanna live
I want to live my life
I wanna live
I wanna live my life

16th June 2004 10:23 AM
Nasty Habits
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Hi beer!

I'm shocked also. First Joey..Now Johnny.

Horrible news.

I wanna be sedated!!

LJ.

Let's please not forget Dee Dee . . .

although that was a different disease . . .

16th June 2004 10:26 AM
LadyJane All the same Nasty...a terrible omission on my part.

Joey, Dee Dee and now Johnny.

How lucky are we that the Stones are still amongst the living??!!!!

LJ.
16th June 2004 10:29 AM
jb Unlike other illnesses, it seems that we still are far away from a cure or atleast treatment to help survival rates for certain types of cancer . Prostate cancer is usually non-aggressive and often very treatable....this is very sad and scary...inevitably we or someone we love will be taken by cancer.
[Edited by jb]
17th June 2004 12:22 PM
Dan Ramones are my all time favorite band. I have been worrying about him ever since I first heard about it last fall. I met him once at the Viper Room and he was really cool.
17th June 2004 12:39 PM
Joey

Thanks so Much Dan .
18th June 2004 12:06 PM
jb
quote:
Dan wrote:
Ramones are my all time favorite band. I have been worrying about him ever since I first heard about it last fall. I met him once at the Viper Room and he was really cool.

Thanks for your thoughts dan.
18th June 2004 01:14 PM
Jaxx some stunning dead pool for '04...randall, reagan --now ramone w/one foot in. very tragic news. cancer is one insidious disease. johnny didn't know the half of "wanting to be sedated" way back when. so sad.