ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: New Steve Earle due Aug. 24 Return to archive
15th June 2004 04:19 PM
Larry Dallas I can't wait to hear this one....

Earle Plans Politically Charged 'Revolution'

Steve Earle wears his politics on his sleeve on his new studio album, "The Revolution Starts... Now," due Aug. 24 via Artemis. The 11-track set finds the outspoken singer/songwriter advocating his most blatant anti-government stance on the guitar-driven "F the CC." Earle pulls no punches in his assault on the Ramones-esque track, which boasts the chorus, "F*** the FCC /f*** the FBI / f*** the CIA / I'm living in the motherf***ing U.S.A."

The album kicks off with the brief call-to-arms cut "The Revolution Starts...," which ends suddenly before segueing into "Home to Houston." A full version of the song, titled "The Revolution Starts Now," closes the set.

Elsewhere, National Security Advisor Condoleeza Rice comes directly under fire in "Condi, Condi," while Earle also airs his frustrations on "Gringo," "Rich Man's War" and the spoken word track "Warrior."

Lest fans thing Earle is operating with a one-track mind, he eschews politics and bares his tender side on the mid-tempo "Comin' Around," a duet with longtime friend Emmylou Harris. "Revolution" also includes the heartbreaking ballad "I Thought You Should Know."

The artist and Ray Kennedy produced "The Revolution." Kennedy has collaborated on several Earle's albums since 1997's "El Corazon" (Warner Bros.)

In advance of the album, Earle will be on tour beginning with a June 22 show in San Diego. Along with his own headlining shows, he's also slated to take part in a pair of Gram Parsons tribute concerts. As previously reported, those events will also feature performances by Norah Jones, Lucinda Williams, Dwight Yoakam, the Mavericks' Raul Malo and Jim Lauderdale.

Here is "The Revolution Starts... Now" track list:

"The Revolution Starts..."
"Home to Houston"
"Rich Man's War"
"Warrior"
"The Gringo's Tale"
"Condi, Condi"
"F the CC"
"Comin' Around" (featuring Emmylou Harris)
"I Thought You Should Know"
"The Seeker"
"The Revolution Starts Now"

Here are Earle's upcoming tour dates:

June 22: San Diego (Humphrey's Concerts by the Bay)
June 23: Saratoga, Calif. (Mountain Winery)
June 25: Reno, Nev. (Robert Z. Hawkins Amphitheater)
June 26: Laytonville, Calif. (Kate Wolf Memorial Music Festival)
June 28: Portland, Ore. (Aladdin Theater)
June 30: Seattle (Woodland Park Zoo Amphitheatre)
July 2: Jacksonville, Ore. (Britt Pavilion)
July 3: Quincy, Calif. (High Sierra Music Festival)
July 9: Santa Barbara, Calif. (Santa Barbara Bowl; Gram Parsons Tribute)
July 10: Los Angeles (Universal Amphitheater; Gram Parsons Tribute)
Aug. 8: Portland, Maine (State Theater)

15th June 2004 04:21 PM
Joey Thanks Larry Dallas ...
15th June 2004 04:44 PM
Larry Dallas Joey,

I wonder if "The Seeker" is a take on the WHO's song or if it is something else?
15th June 2004 04:52 PM
Joey
quote:
Larry Dallas wrote:
Joey,

I wonder if "The Seeker" is a take on the WHO's song or if it is something else?

You raise a very interesting point my Stonesian Brother...............

Please feel free to " research " this issue over the wee wee hours whilst watching my Pistons ( Had them all year ) win their first NBA Championship since 1990 .

Word !
15th June 2004 04:58 PM
Larry Dallas I will watch the game intently tonight as the University of Kentucky's Tayshaun Prince looks to silence Kobe and send him off to the other court. It's amazing how everyone here in Lexington has become Pistons fans due to Tayshaun, the Prince of the Palace.
15th June 2004 05:00 PM
Joey
quote:
Larry Dallas wrote:
I will watch the game intently tonight as the University of Kentucky's Tayshaun Prince looks to silence Kobe and send him off to the other court. It's amazing how everyone here in Lexington has become Pistons fans due to Tayshaun, the Prince of the Palace.

Yes , agreed .................I am now a believer .
15th June 2004 06:06 PM
F505 great news
15th June 2004 06:37 PM
Saint Sway I cant wait to hear this! Especially the duet with Emylou Harris. And if it does in fact include a cover of The Who's Seeker - then that would just be amazing

I love Steve Earle. Glad to see other Stones freaks dig him too. IMO, he's making the country-rock records that Keef should of made
15th June 2004 06:38 PM
F505 Agree Saint Sway!!!

also watch: http://www.steveearle.net/
15th June 2004 06:46 PM
Saint Sway yeah every Keef fan should check out Earle's "El Corazon" album. Thats one fuckin cool record!
15th June 2004 07:24 PM
FPM C10
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
yeah every Keef fan should check out Earle's "El Corazon" album. Thats one fuckin cool record!

Every release since that album has been great, too, imho. "Jerusalem" and "Ashes To Ashes" are incredible songs from the last one.

I hope Steve hits the Whitaker in Harrisburg again on the tour.

We need more left wing loudmouths! (Me & Michael Moore can't do it all ourselves!)

Steve's version of "Before They Make Me Run" (w/the Supersuckers) is one of the greatest Stones covers ever - maybe because it could've been about him. Steve sowed some WILD-ass oats before he settled down to become a professional rabble-rouser.
15th June 2004 07:33 PM
mac_daddy >>> Steve's version of "Before They Make Me Run" (w/the Supersuckers) is one of the greatest Stones covers ever - maybe because it could've been about him. Steve sowed some WILD-ass oats before he settled down to become a professional rabble-rouser.

he sure did.

all that sh*t he got into almost killed him. he was shunned by everyone in the nashville scene, too...

I saw him at telluride bluegrass right as "train a comin'" was released. he was just really starting his recovery. he was awesome (that album is still my favorite of his). anyway, emmylou had his back, as did some of the others there that weekend, and he has been able to light it up pretty much ever since. but he owes alot to ms. harris and friends...

not as big a fan of transcendental blues, but I agree, his latest efforts show that he is getting back to form...

16th June 2004 10:32 AM
Martha Great news thanks Larry Dallas! These dates are just the first leg of the tour... right?????
16th June 2004 10:49 AM
padre I reaaly hope that Gram Parsons tribute gig will be filmed and released on DVD. On helluva set of great artists there! But where's Mick'n'Keef doing Dead Flowers and Sweet Virginia?
16th June 2004 11:53 AM
F505 Although I think Steve is a great artist I am less charmed when he plays the moralist in between the songs. Let the music and words speak for itself!
His best album: The Mountain.
16th June 2004 11:39 PM
Larry Dallas Steve gets a pass from me for talking between songs. Hell, his role model was Townes Van Zandt. Most nights, Townes was too drunk to sing and just did lots of talking. Steve learned from the absolute king.

As for Steve's cover of "Before they Make Me Run," I saw him a few years ago at Bogarts in Cincinnati and he closed the entire show with it. I happened to be wearing my Stones ballcap that night and walked away from the show feeling ten feet tall and drunk as hell off the Hude beer.

Yes, "The Mountain" is a masterpiece and I was fortunate enough to see Steve on tour with the Del McCoury band after it was released. Steve ended up pissing off Del McCoury because he was dropping the "F" bomb on stage. That's why on Transcendental Blues before the bluegrass number, Steve says "Remember, there's no room in vulgarity for Bluegrass."

I can't wait to hear this new record. If his last record got him on the No Spin Shitlist, then I can't imagine what this one will do.
17th June 2004 08:53 AM
FPM C10
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

I saw him at telluride bluegrass right as "train a comin'" was released. he was just really starting his recovery. he was awesome (that album is still my favorite of his).

mine too...I think "Goodbye" is one of the most perfect songs ANYONE has ever written.

quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
not as big a fan of transcendental blues, but I agree, his latest efforts show that he is getting back to form...

Oh, I like that one well enough...Revolver with a twang. I guess maybe I have a soft spot for it because that was the album he was promoting when I saw him (so far, I've only seen him once). With the exception of the above-mentioned Train a'Comin', all of his albums have some songs I like more than others. The last one's standouts for me were "Ashes to Ashes" and "Jerusalem".

Steve Earle is one of the reasons that I am still proud to be an American.
18th June 2004 11:37 AM
jb He took a lot of heat for that song,,,,
18th June 2004 08:38 PM
glencar Steve Earle sounds like an ass. I wish O'Reilly et alia would just ignore him so he maintains that "cult status" that he so richly deserves.