ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: bockris' biography of keef Return to archive Page: 1 2
13th June 2004 09:04 PM
mac_daddy just picked this one up...

well-written and informative.

read through the brian jones years, and skimmed the 78-79 stuff, sofar...

what/who is keef biting on the book's cover..?
13th June 2004 09:31 PM
Bloozehound I have this book, great read. Not sure who he's biting, I assumed it was Anita.
14th June 2004 02:24 AM
Diedre He's biting a guy. The person has no hips. Maybe it's Mick. Or Ron. Or Charlie. (I actually read somewhere when that reissue of the book came out that it's taken from the Warhol photo session from "Love You Live" so it makes it likely it is a band member.)

I'm not a fan of the Bockris book. The guy seems in love with image of Keith as the glorious junkie. It's really not at all flattering when taken as a complete picture. Keith comes off as selfish, mysogynistic, violent, mean, a bad parent, etc., with the occasional good deed thrown in that doesn't really balance out the negative. And just kind of empty. It's depressing, to me, and it made me wonder why Bockris thought he's such a great guy if that's all he has to account for him (I assume it's really more complicated than Bockris is able, or more likely willing, to lay out).
14th June 2004 03:27 AM
beer i've never seen the cover of the book but it sounds like it's from the Love You Live pics. With all the Stones biting each other. there were stickers of the same pics that were handed out to promote the album, PLUS biting plastic teeth that said Love You Live on them..All seen in The Sones Album, by Giuliano.

The Keith bio written by Barbra Charone is great. Who cares if Keefs portrayed as a rotten bastard at times,he is in Sanchez's book too. he probably was.
14th June 2004 05:07 AM
Gazza I dont think Keith comes off that badly in Bockris' book as a human being (the NME actually dubbed the book "Keef - Wot a Geezer"!!). Its a fun read but Bockris is no music critic. He's clearly in awe of him so much that he ends up practically dismissing Mick's contribution to the band as relatively insignificant. That's the only downer I have on it as I actually enjoyed the book otherwise

Charone's book, which I havent read in years and am still looking for a copy if anyone has a spare, is fun too but even more sycophantic. Sanchez' ghost written effort portrays Keith as a completely ruthless bastard but then I guess considering the nature of the job Sanchez was doing for him and the fact that he was a junkie all of that time, he's seeing a different side to the other two.
14th June 2004 06:23 AM
penatonic fix In the book Jimmy Page is in the studio for the dirty work sessions and Keith can,t play a hard chord progression that Page worked up so keith,storms out of the room and comes back with a simple chord progression most likey in open tunings to show up Page.
14th June 2004 06:23 AM
Mathijs but the again, I seriously doubt Keith WAS or still is a nice person to be around. In the 70's when he was a junkie he most probably was not the most social person, and if your a member of the biggest band in this kind of industry most probably doesn't make you the most aimable guy either. And the stories how Keith can be really mean a plenty. Listen to how he mouths of Wood on the Voodoo Brew and Stew sets, it makes you wonder how anyone can take that shit for over 30 years.

Mathijs
14th June 2004 06:48 AM
FotiniD
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
but the again, I seriously doubt Keith WAS or still is a nice person to be around. In the 70's when he was a junkie he most probably was not the most social person, and if your a member of the biggest band in this kind of industry most probably doesn't make you the most aimable guy either. And the stories how Keith can be really mean a plenty. Listen to how he mouths of Wood on the Voodoo Brew and Stew sets, it makes you wonder how anyone can take that shit for over 30 years.

Mathijs

Let's try not to forget the kind of life Keith has led - which of course had its share in shaping his character, his reactions etc. Being a junkie sure didn't help.

He's only human and he can't be perfect, but I think that despite the appearances, he's not what I would call "mean". Callous, rough, quite stubborn and speaking-before-thinking at times, sure, but I think those who know him well have a way of handling him - otherwise they wouldn't take it for over 30 years, as you point out Mathijs.
14th June 2004 06:50 AM
Jumacfly
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Listen to how he mouths of Wood on the Voodoo Brew and Stew sets, it makes you wonder how anyone can take that shit for over 30 years.

Mathijs

Can you developpe a litlle bit Mathjis?? i ve heard several dialogues but never understood them !
cheers
JU
14th June 2004 06:52 AM
fmk438j I agree with mathjis.

That backing vocal session where he is totally treating ronnie like a bitch is quite sad really.

I guess when you're envited to earn millions for playing music and being wasted you don't complain.
14th June 2004 08:24 AM
Mathijs Well, on both sets Keith is constantly putting Wood down. Everytime Wood says something, Keith answers with a "shut up", "fuck you", "you're a bitch, drunk, asshole", or a "who asked you anything". Keith does sound quite drunk, so that coulod be the reason too.

Mathijs
14th June 2004 09:52 AM
Gazza Just play the fucking track, Ronnie!
14th June 2004 09:54 AM
jb I have the book if anyone wants it.....
14th June 2004 05:31 PM
Diedre I don't have a problem with the way Keith "treats" Ronnie on the VL boot. He's just kidding. Maybe it gets on Ron's nerves, but Ronnie could get on Keith's or anyone else's nerves, too. They're like a couple of teenage boys having a p****** contest in the locker room. It's actually fun to listen to.

My main problem with the Bockris book is that there is so little about music, and from what there is, it's clear Bockris doesn't know what he's talking about. The music is the main compensating factor in Keith's life story (and yes, he does completely shortchange Mick both as an individual contributor and Keith's collaborator).

I actually prefer Spanish Tony's take. At least Tony was on the same level and going through the same things, so it makes his motivations more understandable. Drugs make people do weird and bad things, as does alcohol, and Keith has had problems with both most of adult life. Bockris has the take of a non-user who sort of wants to live vicariously through his subject, without having any clue or understanding. The book is also disjointed and his sources seem a bit sketchy. It's almost like a fairy tale about Keith. I guess it's worth reading, though, because there are so few books with a complete overview of Keith's life.
15th June 2004 06:20 PM
mac_daddy well - I am enjoying the book alot. I find it to be much better written than Charone's book. Spanish Tony's was the fastest read (for me), thus far. I have a keef book written by booth, but I haven't cracked that one yet...
15th June 2004 10:33 PM
glencar Bockris was interviewed on the "Let It Bleed" Euro documentary. He seemed a bit weird, quite frankly.
16th June 2004 04:00 AM
FotiniD
quote:
glencar wrote:
Bockris was interviewed on the "Let It Bleed" Euro documentary. He seemed a bit weird, quite frankly.

Agree. Really weird character, he kind of looked to me like a private investigator from a noir film Picture the scene: dark city, a light bulb illuminating his small flat, tall buildings outside. Weird.
16th June 2004 08:08 AM
beer the reason i liked Charones bio on keith was because she was actually there for some key moments in Stones history. she was staying at Redlands AND she was at Keith's hotel room during the raid in Toronto.
i've read a shitload of Stones books and that's still one of my favorites.
16th June 2004 10:15 AM
Gazza IN his hotel room when he got busted? Eh? I thought Keith was asleep when the Mounties woke him up..

I always liked her book,I have to say - but I've only read other people's copies. I wish they'd reprint it. God knows, theyve reprinted some really crappy Stones books over the years - especially Philip Norman's "definitive" biography which seems to get a much trumpeted "update" to coincide with every new world tour and which is usually about 4 pages of drivel summarising the last 15 years which looks like it was researched in about 5 minutes by some UK tabloid no-nothing hack
16th June 2004 11:02 AM
beer Check it again Gazza, she was staying in that hotel room with 'em. She recalls stuff that only an observer could. Like little Marlon telling Miss Trudeuo(WTF) to fuck off, and alot of stuff from Redlands, including the famous gardener story.......... it's a great book./
16th June 2004 11:25 AM
gypsy If you check ebay once in a while, Gazza, you can usually find the Charone book for under $10 or less. That's where I got mine. Well worth it...I re-read mine just last week.
16th June 2004 11:35 AM
jb I'll send you the Bockris book for along with Stone alone and Jagger unauthorized if anyone wants them!!! if not, I shall burn them today...
[Edited by jb]
16th June 2004 11:43 AM
gypsy I never made it all the way through "Stone Alone." It was so boring w/ all of Bill's minute details. Perhaps I'll pick it up and finish it some day...
16th June 2004 11:46 AM
jb I thought Wymans book was pretty good as well as Bockris'..the Jagger unauthrized , by Christopher Anderson, was more of a tell all....
16th June 2004 07:07 PM
Gazza >Check it again Gazza, she was staying in that hotel room with 'em. She recalls stuff that only an observer could.

I'd love to be able to, but as I said, I dont own the book!

Staying in the same room?? Christ almighty
16th June 2004 07:08 PM
Monkey Woman Or passed out in the same room after too much "partying"...
16th June 2004 07:08 PM
Gazza >If you check ebay once in a while, Gazza, you can usually find the Charone book for under $10 or less. That's where I got mine. Well worth it...I re-read mine just last week.

thanks for the tip !

16th June 2004 08:51 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>If you check ebay once in a while, Gazza, you can usually find the Charone book for under $10 or less. That's where I got mine. Well worth it...I re-read mine just last week.

thanks for the tip !

I found mine on amazon.com
16th June 2004 09:30 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
well - I am enjoying the book alot. I find it to be much better written than Charone's book. Spanish Tony's was the fastest read (for me), thus far. I have a keef book written by booth, but I haven't cracked that one yet...

mac-daddyo - you might be a little disappointed by booth's bio - esp. if you've read "True Adventures" - it has some interesting little known facts in it but it reads like it was cobbled together in a bit of hurry - esp. the second half of it

i can recall reading somewhere (god knows where) that booth got a good pay check for his efforts which is rather ironic as apparently he made next to nothing out of "True Adventures" which IMO is a masterpiece

spanish tony's book is also excellent if for no other reason than the fact it has some truly hilarious anecdotes - the tale of the hovercraft in the moat being one example

16th June 2004 09:32 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

spanish tony's book is also excellent if for no other reason than the fact it has some truly hilarious anecdotes - the tale of the hovercraft in the moat being one example

how about his assertion that coke is NOT addictive... say wha?
Page: 1 2