ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

NME Poll Winners Awards, Wembley Empire Pool, April 11, 1965
© The Associated Newspapers Archives
[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Velvet Revolver In SF Return to archive
8th June 2004 01:37 PM
Gimme Shelter Went to the Velvet Revolver show last night at the Warfield in San Fran and the show rocked. We were on the floor and were totally blown away. Their album comes out today and as soon as I get off work I'm going to go buy it. The opening band was called Living Things. I enjoyed them as well, they reminded me of the Ramones.
8th June 2004 04:18 PM
Jumping Jack Anyone miss Axl? I thought not.
8th June 2004 05:03 PM
ResidentMule i think I already posted about this, but I saw them about a week and a half ago in Philly and they rocked. I got the album today the minute the record store opened its doors
hopefully this isn't their last tour of these small venues, but I have a feeling that anyone who passed them up this time around is missing out pretty big
8th June 2004 07:03 PM
Gimme Shelter Here's the setlist by the way...

Sucker Train Blues
Do It for the Kids
Headspace
Crackerman
Illegal I
It's So Easy
Fall To Pieces
Big Machine
Superhuman
Set Me Free
Used to Love Her
Slither
Sex Type Thing
Mr. Brownstone
Negative Creep
8th June 2004 07:29 PM
SheRat Gimme Shelter: why didn't you post about it or email Fang? We were mere blocks away...
8th June 2004 07:33 PM
GotSatisfied I got the album a week ago and they do indeed rock. Slash is Slash and carries the band. I think the vocals could be a little stronger but all in all their debut album is a good one. I like the mix. You hear a little Guns and Roses there which is inevitable but they throw a little punk sound in too and it works real well. I guess I'm a little picky and there aren't too many new bands I can truly say have rocked me but these guys do. Slither is a real good choice for the first single. I hope they carry on because their sound is real good but they might want to address the vocals.
9th June 2004 01:30 PM
Gimme Shelter Gimme Shelter: why didn't you post about it or email Fang? We were mere blocks away...

Sorry, I was able to get the tix just a few days before the show, and I had to work that day and then travel from Sacramento to the show in SF.Busy, Busy
9th June 2004 09:50 PM
mac_daddy so is weiland sober..?

9th June 2004 10:08 PM
polksalad69
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:
so is weiland sober..?

Good question. If he is, it's only a matter of time.
9th June 2004 10:16 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

Good question. If he is, it's only a matter of time.

he doesn't look it...

I just read a piece about the band's martial arts regimen (and it is not the first time I have seen it), and while duff and the boys look like they have their shit together, I just don't see it with weiland. just wondering what the folks who have seen them live think...
9th June 2004 10:18 PM
polksalad69
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

he doesn't look it...

I just read a piece about the band's martial arts regimen (and it is not the first time I have seen it), and while duff and the boys look like they have their shit together, I just don't see it with weiland. just wondering what the folks who have seen them live think...

Good observation. I have noticed how buff Duff is but haven't really seen Weiland.
9th June 2004 10:35 PM
Gimme Shelter I don't know, but on Monday night he seemed totally together. His vocals were strong, and he put on a helluva show. He did mention his "three shots at life." I guess he speaking of his three times in rehab.
9th June 2004 11:00 PM
beer
quote:
polksalad69 wrote:

Good observation. I have noticed how buff Duff is but haven't really seen Weiland.

I hope buff Duff is tuff enough to stay away from the rough stuff.
10th June 2004 03:27 PM
Snappy McJack Hands are shakin got your finger on the trigger
Jesus ain't complainin gonna figure it out
Somebody raped my tapeworm abortion
Come on motherfuckers and deliver the cow
Brain and body melting while there's roaches multiplying
It's the alien infection it's the coming of Christ
All these sentimental halos and these consequential angels
When I'm runnin with the devil don't deliver the fight

[Edited by Snappy McJack]
10th June 2004 05:09 PM
Factory Girl Weiland is a whiney junky. I just can't get into his voice.

Btw, Thank you polkie.
14th June 2004 09:26 PM
mac_daddy this is for all you folks that bought the CD, and plan on listening to the tunes via an ipod, etc...

(this kind of sh*t pisses me off - how compaines and bands can justify treating their paying fans like this, I will never understand).

plus, even if you aren't a v 'volver fan, this info might come in handy for you some day...

Velvet Revolver's Copy Protection, and getting around it.

I ran out and bought Contraband today from Best Buy. For those of you who don't know who Velvet Revolver is here's a summary. Lead Singer: Scott Weiland from STP. Then Slash, Matt and Duff from Guns-n-Roses. Their show is awesome, I saw them a few weeks ago here in St. Louis with Russ, his brother Matt and friend Kenny.

Now for the album details. The album is awesome, I've been listening to it on MTV.com for the past few days now. Now that it was released I ran out to buy it. On the cover it says that the CD is made to play in audio devices, and some PCs that are configured properly. Basically it tries to install Digital Rights management licenses onto your machine so that you can play the CD.

I decided I didn't like that option, so here's what I did.

When you insert the CD and you have autoplay enabled, it will bring up a licensing agreement, don't accept it, just click on the X in the upper right corner of the window to close. I then proceded to try to RIP the CD so I could make a backup copy of this for my archives. It appeared to actually rip, but each song was taking quite long to do so. I played one of the ripped tracks and noticed that it was garbled to hell, so I tried playing a track off of the CD, garbled as well. Let me note that all of this has occured through the Beta copy of Windows Media Player 10 that I installed last week.

After a little googling I disabled the autoplay feature on my PC. Next I found this article by the “student” who figured out how to defeat this protection software.

Start with a Windows 2000/XP system with empty CD drives.

1. Click the Start button and select Control Panel from the Start Menu.
2. Double-click on the System control panel icon.
3. Select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
4. Configure Device Manager by clicking "Show hidden devices" and "Devices by connection," both from the View menu.
5. Insert the Anthony Hamilton CD into the computer and allow the SunnComm software to start. If MediaMax has never been started before on the same computer, the SbcpHid driver should appear on the list for the first time. However, on some systems Windows needs to be rebooted before the driver becomes visible.

At this point you can attempt to copy tracks from the CD with applications like MusicMatch Jukebox or Windows Media Player. Copies made while the driver is active will sound badly garbled, as in this 9-second clip [10].

Next, follow these additional steps to disable MediaMax:
1. Select the SbcpHid driver from the Device Manager list and click "Properties" from the Action Menu.
2. Click the Driver tab and click the Stop button to disable the driver.
3. Set the Startup Type to "Disabled" using the dropdown list.

With the driver stopped, you can verify that the same applications copy every track successfully. Setting the Startup Type to disabled prevents MediaMax from restarting when the computer is rebooted. It will remain deactivated until LaunchCD.exe is allowed to run again.

This successfully worked for me. I am listening to the CD right now through windows media player, without the protection running. I've also archived the CD into my system so that if I ever lose it I have a copy for myself!

http://weblogs.asp.net/christoc/archive/2004/06/08/151147.aspx
14th June 2004 11:28 PM
SeerSuckersuit M-Daddy ..... He seemed in good form Saturday ..... the band was great .... He was genuinely trying to promote the new band ....
20th June 2004 11:19 AM
mac_daddy glad to hear sw is doing alright...

alot of people are diggin' these guys - number one with a bullet...

and as a follow up to my previous post, here is an interesting , albeit geeky, article...

_____

For the first time, the No. 1 album in the United States is loaded with anticopying protections, marking a clear step into the mainstream for the controversial technology.

According to figures released by Nielsen SoundScan, Velvet Revolver's "Contraband" was the top-selling album in America last week, despite being prominently labeled on its cover as being "protected against unauthorized duplication."

The success of the album is likely to prompt more experiments from BMG, the band's label, and other record companies, industry watchers said.

"It's too soon to tell whether the rest of the industry is going to be heartened by this," said Mike McGuire, an analyst at GartnerG2. "But clearly, there are going to be a lot of people who are very encouraged by the fact it is out on the marketplace."

The step forward is part of a slow increase in the flow of copy-protected compact discs into the American market, after several years of stalled progress. If the pace increases without substantial consumer backlash, the technology could become as commonplace as the antipiracy technology on DVDs, ultimately changing the way that consumers use their purchased music.

For several years, the big record labels have experimented with various versions of the technology, worried by the explosive popularity of CD burners and online file trading.

However, they have been wary of releasing the technology in the U.S. market on a wide scale. Early versions of copy-protected CDs had problems playing in some CD players and computers, prompting customer complaints and even recalls.

A vocal segment of the online population has been intensely critical of the copy protection plans, leading record label executives to worry about potential consumer reaction. Some artists, such as Virgin Records singer Ben Harper, have been bitterly angry at their labels' decision to include the technology without their approval.

The test with Velvet Revolver, a group made of alumni from Stone Temple Pilots, Guns N' Roses and others, was the largest yet for BMG. The test uses MediaMax copy protection from BMG partner SunnComm International. The label says it does plan a growing number of protected releases over the course of this year, but is still choosing which CDs will include the technology on a case-by-case basis.

"We're thrilled with the results we've seen and the apparent consumer acceptance," said Jordan Katz, an executive vice president in BMG's distribution arm. The company has released a total of 12 "copy managed" discs, with more than 2.5 million units now in the market, he said.

iPods still a problem
Like other recent copy-protected albums, the Velvet Revolver disc includes technology that blocks direct copying or ripping of the CD tracks to MP3 format. It also comes preloaded with songs in Microsoft's Windows Media Audio (WMA) format, which can be transferred to a computer or to many portable digital music players.

As in earlier tests by BMG and SunnComm, the copy protection on the Velvet Revolver disc can be simply disabled by pushing the "Shift" key on a computer while the CD is loading, which blocks the SunnComm software from being installed. The companies say they have long been aware of the work-around but that they were not trying to create an unhackable protection.

According to SunnComm, few purchasers have complained about the anticopying tools, although angry postings on sites such as Amazon.com are common. The sticker on the front of the Velvet Revolver CD and a link inside the software that loads automatically on a computer, once a user has given permission, points to SunnComm's Web site.

"We hear from less than half of one percent of people who have the Velvet Revolver disc," SunnComm CEO Peter Jacobs said. "Most of those questions are related to getting the songs onto an iPod."

However, the inability to move songs to Apple's popular digital music player, as well as to other devices that don't support Microsoft's Windows Media digital rights management services, is a serious shortcoming. Jacobs says SunnComm recognizes that--and that the company's next version will go beyond the Microsoft files and be able to create multiple kinds of digital files that will be compatible with the iPod.

But for now, iPod-owning Velvet Revolver fans don't have a direct alternative.

"We are actively working with Apple to provide a long-term solution to this issue," a posting on SunnComm's Web site reads. "We encourage you to provide feedback to Apple, requesting they implement a solution that will enable the iPod to support other secure music formats."

Also on Thursday, SunnComm announced that EMI Music would begin using its technology on advance and promotional releases. That marks the second major label, following BMG, to adopt SunnComm's tools officially, although others are also testing them.

EMI Music has "been encouraged by the success that SunnComm's MediaMax product has enjoyed," Richard Cottrell, global head of antipiracy for the record label, said in a statement. "We are pleased that SunnComm is developing a product that improves our ability to protect our artists' works, especially during the prerelease phase."

http://news.com.com/Copy-blocked+CD+tops+U.S.+charts/2100-1027_3-5238208.html?tag=nefd.top