ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio Anoeta, San Sebastián, 23rd June 2007
© Diario Vasco thanks Jeep and Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: PLEASE HELP ME CHOOSE A CAR! Return to archive
14th June 2007 09:15 AM
muncy23 Im looking for new vehicles. I am in a bind right now and i dont know which of these two SUVs to buy: One is a 2000 toyota 4runner limited with 91,000 on it. The other is a 04 ford explorer xlt sport with 57k on it. I can get the 4runner for about 2k cheaper when i trade my old 4runner in. I dont know much about vehicles but i need a SUV for pulling a trailer and also hauling people on trips and stuff. I would really appreciate your all help if you know anyting about cars.
14th June 2007 09:21 AM
killerbitch Are you buying from a dealer? You can do better than that
for the money you are spending.

Have you checked out the ads from private parties? Sometimes
you can get really good buys even better than the dealer,
or go to a good certified used car dealer.

Keep looking, those cars have too many miles on them.
Just my opinion, but I have been shopping for cars for
40 years.
14th June 2007 09:24 AM
Joey
quote:
muncy23 wrote:
Im looking for new vehicles. I am in a bind right now and i dont know which of these two SUVs to buy: One is a 2000 toyota 4runner limited with 91,000 on it. The other is a 04 ford explorer xlt sport with 57k on it. I can get the 4runner for about 2k cheaper when i trade my old 4runner in. I dont know much about vehicles but i need a SUV for pulling a trailer and also hauling people on trips and stuff. I would really appreciate your all help if you know anyting about cars.

Toyota !!!!

TOYOTA !!!!

FRIGGIN YEAH !!! .... TOYOTA !!!!

I have had me Camry for over six years now and NOTHING has gone wrong . NOTHING !!!!! In fact , I still have the original battery -- AMAZING !!!!!

" The Joey will NEVER buy an American Car AGAIN Ronnie ! "

Sassy Tree ! ™
14th June 2007 09:26 AM
egon
quote:
Joey wrote:

" The Joey will NEVER buy an American Car AGAIN Ronnie ! "

you are a terrorist
14th June 2007 09:36 AM
voodoopug I hate to say so, but stay away from a used Ford/Dodge/Chevy. After years of purchasing American Cars and subsequently repairing them repeatedly, I have thrown in the towel on them. We have owned a few Toyotas and Currently have a 2007 Camry XLE (35K) and could not be happier. My wife put over 150,000 miles on her Rav 4 and sold it without the vehicle once being brought in for anything other than maintenance.

Go with the Toyota, but look for a better deal.
14th June 2007 01:06 PM
Madafaka Ford Explorer XLT!
14th June 2007 01:12 PM
killerbitch Consumer Reports gives Toyota the best auto rating on its
website and it in its monthly book.
[Edited by killerbitch]
[Edited by killerbitch]
14th June 2007 04:00 PM
chevysales
quote:
muncy23 wrote:
Im looking for new vehicles. I am in a bind right now and i dont know which of these two SUVs to buy: One is a 2000 toyota 4runner limited with 91,000 on it. The other is a 04 ford explorer xlt sport with 57k on it. I can get the 4runner for about 2k cheaper when i trade my old 4runner in. I dont know much about vehicles but i need a SUV for pulling a trailer and also hauling people on trips and stuff. I would really appreciate your all help if you know anyting about cars.

there isn't enough space here for me to list why you shouldn't by the ford... the overgeared underpowered (for towing) 4 runner.

what is the wieght you plan on towing?

money parameters you wish to stay in....

i can give you some suggestions for starters can the DOHC if the trailer towing is over 3500lbs... stick with ohv engines.

the amount total you are spending will play a role in my suggestions to you... which you can take or leave your choice...
14th June 2007 04:05 PM
chevysales
quote:
voodoopug wrote:
I hate to say so, but stay away from a used Ford/Dodge/Chevy. After years of purchasing American Cars and subsequently repairing them repeatedly, I have thrown in the towel on them. We have owned a few Toyotas and Currently have a 2007 Camry XLE (35K) and could not be happier. My wife put over 150,000 miles on her Rav 4 and sold it without the vehicle once being brought in for anything other than maintenance.

Go with the Toyota, but look for a better deal.

and in the same breath i have seen the exact same thing on american cars also... maintenance is the key... say all you want i have seen it all and 10 years ago what you say WAS true but in todays market it's all bullshit... every manufacturer has a good product out in the market the key is YOUR needs and YOUR budget then take it from there.

but the old wifes tales of your million mile camry can be matched by any american vehicle too.

btw stay away from consumers report bs since they seem to hate SUV's in general no matter who makes them.

buy what ever you feel comfortable with not what someone else tells you to buy... thats a sure road to unhappiness.
14th June 2007 04:20 PM
Steel Wheels What are you looking to tow? More often than not, the Toyotas cannot tow much. Outside of towing, I'd go with them over all other manufacturers.

14th June 2007 04:28 PM
voodoopug
quote:
chevysales wrote:

and in the same breath i have seen the exact same thing on american cars also... maintenance is the key... say all you want i have seen it all and 10 years ago what you say WAS true but in todays market it's all bullshit... every manufacturer has a good product out in the market the key is YOUR needs and YOUR budget then take it from there.

but the old wifes tales of your million mile camry can be matched by any american vehicle too.

btw stay away from consumers report bs since they seem to hate SUV's in general no matter who makes them.

buy what ever you feel comfortable with not what someone else tells you to buy... thats a sure road to unhappiness.

Sadly, due to my experiences in the last 6 or so years with American made cars, I cannot purchase another one. My next purchase will be either a Toyota or Lexus. There is a reason US manufacturers are struggling to sell cars, they are not up to snuff with with foreign manufacturers (with the exception of VW and Mercedes which I do not care for either).

You are right though, it comes down to personal preference and what you like. I don't like Chevy's, Fords, and particularly Dodge's anymore.
14th June 2007 04:36 PM
Joey " you are a terrorist"

14th June 2007 07:59 PM
lotsajizz me too, Toyota---my wife and I have owned five of 'em since 1980.....like Joey, I will NEVER buy from an American manufacturer

Never

14th June 2007 08:07 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
muncy23 wrote:

ford = fucked over royally dude and or found on road dead.

buy yourself a nice mountain bike...your heart and soul will love you for it.
14th June 2007 08:59 PM
glencar Toyota is a shitty car. I had one & will NEVER buy another again. Camry is the ultimate in boring. I have switched from Jap cars to American again. Some of us are true patriots!
14th June 2007 11:20 PM
muncy23 Thank you all for your advice!! I can see where all of you are coming from. So here it goes.......I went to pittsburgh today(9hr round trip) to check out the 4runner which the dealer described as "in immaculate condition" After driving thru what looked like amish country, i arrived at "Large Auto Sales." It wasnt so large....He had some nice cars and suvs, but there were only 20 or so. He said he sells around 30 a month...ya right....anyway, i took a look at the 4runner and first thing i noticed was the bumper was dented in the front. I took a look at the hood and it had all kinds of little black spots on it; probably due to small gravel. I walk around the side and i notice not one, but 3 foot-long scratches on the paint. Looked as if it had been keyed. After that, i saw that the side of the back bumper was indented. I was thinking to myself WTF!! So the guy came around and talked to me after i waited for 15 min( i was the only one looking at that point). I knew right then i wasnt going to buy it, but i wanted to test drive it anyway. The thing ran good, it was very comfortable, it had a better turning radius than my 95 4runner, but the leather was not up to par and it didnt smell too nice. On a scale of 1-10, i would give it a 5.

Now, i think all of you have good points, but i am going to have to agree with Chevysales. If you keep the maintenance up, they will run forever. Most of the cars made presently are engineered to last and to perform great for years. But i do believe that one must take care of them so they will last. I think i am going to buy the 04 Explorer with 57k tomorrow morning. It actually is in "immaculate condition." The only thing wrong with it is the rotors need to be turned or something.

I hope it doesnt end up "Found dead on the Road" though!hahaha!!
[Edited by muncy23]
14th June 2007 11:55 PM
Sir Stonesalot Muncy...

I was in your shoes earlier this year. I've been driving aroung in the same stupid 4 cyl since 1992. It's a Ford product. Never had a lick of trouble with it. 192,750 miles. But I keep pretty good care of my cars. That is the key.

I looked at manufaturere after manufacturer fore a new car. All the cars that I liked cost more than a house. Everything else was cookie cutter soccer mom bullshit, or some stupid Nascar Dad SUV/Pick Up. Fuck that shit. No way I was gonna drive around in any of that crap.

So I bought an old muscle car. 1974 Chevy Nova SS. 425 HP 350 small block. 0 - 95 in 10 seconds flat. It is a gas hog...maybe 12-15 mpg...but I only live 3 miles from work, so it's not that big of a deal.

The best part about driving around in this thing is all the looks you get from people as you drive by...or when you pull in and park someplace. You just see the longing in guy's eyes...they all wish they were me. And chicks fucking whistle at me! Fat, bald, and 40...and hot young chicks are all kinds of swooning on me and shit. Unreal.

My advice is to...KEEP LOOKING. You'll know it when you see it. Don't settle. Get what you want. You only live once.

Here's my car...although at the end of the month it will be looking a lot different.

15th June 2007 01:00 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat How about a Mercedes?
15th June 2007 07:37 AM
Factory Girl SS,

I thought Mrs. SS drove a Suzuki suv... Is that era in the past?
15th June 2007 07:51 AM
chevysales
quote:
voodoopug wrote:

Sadly, due to my experiences in the last 6 or so years with American made cars, I cannot purchase another one. My next purchase will be either a Toyota or Lexus. There is a reason US manufacturers are struggling to sell cars, they are not up to snuff with with foreign manufacturers (with the exception of VW and Mercedes which I do not care for either).

You are right though, it comes down to personal preference and what you like. I don't like Chevy's, Fords, and particularly Dodge's anymore.

us makers are struggling because they work off a business model developed in 1950's... and are tied down to union contracts that are ridicullous and still paying health care for workers who retired 25 years back... i could go on and on after 13 years in the industry (10 as operations manager of a mid size store) ... we sell porsche-audi-isuzu-suzuki-pontiac-ford-chevy-bmw. we have virtually every franchise in the family ( i handle 4 and am in on meetings for all). i speak from knowledge of many units i see in and out of service daily not to mention all the used product we sell who trades what brand in and for what common reason... not from the experience of 1 or 2 cars you might have owned or a story about a friend of a friend had this or that happen.

and to the poster who said go for a "certified" used car... please do as the profit margin per unit is higher on that particluar unit than any other unit in a dealers inventory... and there is nothing done differently on the inspection (pdi) than any other used car... but the consumer is led to believe that sticker is worth the extra $1400 plus it brings in

every manufacturer pays about the same for materials it all comes down to labor costs... and the big 3 american makers are tied to outdated ridiculous union contracts which drive up the cost of each and every car made no less than 400+... that same toyota for instance ties in less than $80... there pay scales vary greatly too. and btw... the above figure is for healthcare costs only of which GM is the largest healthcare provider in the usa.

i suggest for anyone who is interested in why the industry is where it is today they start reading autoweek magazine which lists all manufacturers vehicles made each week, sold each week... profit average per vehicle, problems per hundred vehicles made and every other tidbit of info.

your toyota you so dearly swear by has just had the worst launch of any full size truck in the industry's history. google reare, end, engine issues, recall on full size tundras.

thats just one... but enough of the old wifes bullshit... different strokes for different folks... and it will take years for the american buyer to actaully come to the realization that inj the 80's-90's the foriegn makers kicked ass... in todays market that isn't the case... gm has a 5 year-100,000 mile powertrain warranty.... fit and finish is held to 3mm interior gaps... i could go on and on and believe me i too was a foreign car advoicate for years but being on the inside of the corporate side of gm has shown me things the consumer never sees.

different strokes for different folks... by what feels good to YOU... drive it on roads you are familiar with.... bring any used car to a mechanic you are comfortable with and if the dealer won't allow that walk away... stay the frick away from car max and there one price game.

compare new to used as the deals on new now for SUV's are averaging $100. over factory invoice plus you get all rebates... it doesn't get much better than that for new unless you are a manufacturer employeee as i.

and enjoy what ever you buy... the internet has made research so much easier for the buyer. we are a 5 car family and don't think for a second i have a loyalty of one product over another i get whatever is best for my money.
15th June 2007 07:54 AM
chevysales
quote:
Sir Stonesalot wrote:
Muncy...

I was in your shoes earlier this year. I've been driving aroung in the same stupid 4 cyl since 1992. It's a Ford product. Never had a lick of trouble with it. 192,750 miles. But I keep pretty good care of my cars. That is the key.

I looked at manufaturere after manufacturer fore a new car. All the cars that I liked cost more than a house. Everything else was cookie cutter soccer mom bullshit, or some stupid Nascar Dad SUV/Pick Up. Fuck that shit. No way I was gonna drive around in any of that crap.

So I bought an old muscle car. 1974 Chevy Nova SS. 425 HP 350 small block. 0 - 95 in 10 seconds flat. It is a gas hog...maybe 12-15 mpg...but I only live 3 miles from work, so it's not that big of a deal.

The best part about driving around in this thing is all the looks you get from people as you drive by...or when you pull in and park someplace. You just see the longing in guy's eyes...they all wish they were me. And chicks fucking whistle at me! Fat, bald, and 40...and hot young chicks are all kinds of swooning on me and shit. Unreal.

My advice is to...KEEP LOOKING. You'll know it when you see it. Don't settle. Get what you want. You only live once.

Here's my car...although at the end of the month it will be looking a lot different.

nice frigin' ride

wow factor for sure!!!!!
15th June 2007 08:41 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
glencar wrote:
Toyota is a shitty car. I had one & will NEVER buy another again. Camry is the ultimate in boring. I have switched from Jap cars to American again. Some of us are true patriots!

My Toyota was made in Buffalo.

But I did own a '73 Nova, 8 cylinder, for a few years. Not nearly as nice as SS's, but I would never say no to a Nova, gas hogs though they are

OK now

Cazart!!!
[Edited by lotsajizz]
15th June 2007 06:41 PM
fireontheplatter The only thing wrong with it is the rotors need to be turned or something.

[/quote]

it ain't worth turning rotors these days....you can buy decent stock parts brand new for the price they will charge you.
16th June 2007 02:04 PM
BONOISLOVE Sorry, dude, I'm too busy saving the world!

P.S.: 'Bushy' says "hallo".
18th June 2007 09:42 AM
voodoopug My Mitsubishi Endeavor has a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. I don't keep cars any longer than that, so I am very pleased with what they offered and we got a fantastic deal on it!
19th June 2007 12:39 AM
BONOISLOVE I love coincidences. Don't you? There seems to be some graphic "automobile selling", here:

http://novogate.com/board/968/237108-1.html
19th June 2007 01:02 AM
Paul_McCartney If you do buy a new car, please make sure no baby seals were hurt or killed to produce the car's steering wheel cover or fuzzy dice. As we all know, baby seals are people too.
19th June 2007 09:43 AM
Joey
quote:
lotsajizz wrote:
me too, Toyota---my wife and I have owned five of 'em since 1980.....like Joey, I will NEVER buy from an American manufacturer

Never

Good morning Jizzy !
19th June 2007 09:52 AM
voodoopug
quote:
Joey wrote:

Good morning Jizzy !

Joey shall only leave the state of Nebraska to pick me up at my hotel at Omaha Summits!
19th June 2007 02:17 PM
BONOISLOVE "Joey shall only leave the state of Nebraska to pick me up at my hotel at Omaha Summits!"

?
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)