ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio Anoeta, San Sebastián, 23rd June 2007
© Diario Vasco thanks Jeep and Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Goffert Park, Nijmegen 8th June 2007 - Setlist, Photos and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
9th June 2007 12:32 PM
mrhipfl I still think that the stones have what it takes to pull out a great show, all of them. Sure they don't sound as good anymore, but that's just logical, common sense to me. They're old junkies for the most part. What I do see at the shows I've been to and the boots I've seen is that ALL of the stones have an extraordinary amount of energy on that stage, more than any other band I know. And they always have a blast. They love what they do, and the people love it too. That's why they're still so huge. That's why they still bring in the crowds and that's why they keep on rolling. They still sound good, not as good as they once were, but still good.

What they do at the stadium shows is concentrate on giving the audience the time of their lives. They concentrate on making the crowd dance and let loose, and they're as good as ever when it comes to that. For the most part, I don't think the people at a Stones show really care about the solos and guitar work, as long as it's not completely out of tune or key. They care about the rock n' roll feeling. Looking back at my Stones shows, I don't even remember the solos or the guitar work, I just remember having the time of my life with the band of my life.

For the Stones, the most important thing at their shows is to create an explosion of rock n' roll. Musical ability and performance is not their main concern or priority. If they would make it their number one priority, I do believe they could sound way better than we expect. But it's their choice, not ours. We can't change their desires and views. Nor can we change the ticket prices, lol. The only thing we can decide is if the show is worth the money.

Interesting interview I found

[Edited by mrhipfl]
9th June 2007 12:44 PM
Moonisup

de motor:

9th June 2007 12:51 PM
LadyJane Rik...YOU went???

I thought, like Angie, you were boycotting???

Nice shots!!!

LJ.
9th June 2007 12:54 PM
Moonisup
quote:
LadyJane wrote:
Rik...YOU went???

I thought, like Angie, you were boycotting???

Nice shots!!!

LJ.

No I wasn't. Still agree with Angie that they should stop. Yesterday they played like a band. Mistakes where made, but they picked it all up. Overall it was a good show! But, man, keith looks unhealthy! Worse then last year!
Glad I went, despite the rain, I had a really great time!

Rik
9th June 2007 12:58 PM
LadyJane You and Angie are tough critics, so when YOU say it was a good show, I KNOW it was a good show.

Glad you had a good time, despite the rain!!!

LJ.
9th June 2007 01:04 PM
PartyDoll MEG Great photos, Rik!
God, what soggy tootsies you must have had!!
9th June 2007 01:41 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
Moonisup wrote:

de motor:

great great photos
the best i've seen in a loooooong while
i especially like the one one with charlie in the picture frame and the solo one of keith in lights all alone on the b stage.

thanks again
great stuff
9th June 2007 02:02 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote: God, what soggy tootsies you must have had!!

You have NOOOOOO idea
9th June 2007 02:07 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
No I wasn't. Still agree with Angie that they should stop. Yesterday they played like a band. Mistakes where made, but they picked it all up. Overall it was a good show! But, man, keith looks unhealthy! Worse then last year!
Glad I went, despite the rain, I had a really great time!

Rik

God, yeah, he looks amazingly different from say 98-2003, compared to the rest of them even more. He looks bad, and it's not just the beer belly or the ridiculous mustachio, he has an unhealthy, breakable aura about him.

Dunno, he went downhill pretty fast in my idea. You know, when kids go thru this grow spurt and all of a sudden some aunt who hasn't seen her nephew in 10 months almost doesn't recognise him? Something like that, except it's a decline spurt.
9th June 2007 02:09 PM
Moonisup
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

God, yeah, he looks amazingly different from say 98-2003, compared to the rest of them even more. He looks bad, and it's not just the beer belly or the ridiculous mustachio, he has an unhealthy, breakable aura about him.

Dunno, he went downhill pretty fast in my idea. You know, when kids go thru this grow spurt and all of a sudden some aunt who hasn't seen her nephew in 10 months almost doesn't recognise him? Something like that, except it's a decline spurt.

Yep,
My girlfriend said that too, very unhealthy and sad to see. And indeed the difference with 2003 is big. Look at the energie he had then and compare that to now, or even early 2005!
9th June 2007 02:18 PM
GotToRollMe Thanks so much for the photos, Rik. You got some nice shots there!
9th June 2007 02:35 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Well, I suppose it's easier to say if you've seen them 42 times like Angie! (by the way, thanks for the review, I enjoyed it although I disagree on some things )

I suppose the amount of shows matter in the way that one starts to see certain patterns in their dynamics, as well as in their musical ability, yes.

quote:
FotiniD wrote:
I've seen them 3 times. 3!!! I've not been disappointed, tired, or angry with them yet. So please, it sounds really ungrateful to ask for them to quit - quite honestly, I don't see or hear a disaster here. Try to keep in mind that only hard-core fans can tell such "differences" in quality - and what is the percentage of hard-core / average fans in a Stones gig?

I understand you'd like to make up and see them when they 'won't allow' you by not coming to Athens as it turned out, especially after getting psyched last year when that date was announced and then taken away again.

But I'm not talking about musical mistakes or whatever. That's what only the hard-core sees agreed, and not even all of them. It's not about that. It's about their presentation of themselves, as a band, as individuals and as the image of The Rolling Stones. It's the perception I'm talking about. Even though I heard positive reactions around me yesterday, I did hear those same people (not hard-core) sort of having enough, acknowleding they have nothing more left and won't surprise anyone anymore.

I just bought a few papers: only 2 have a small photo and headline on the front page in the side column, one of which is really an article about the thunderstorms (it cost 2 lives, so that's more news of course). 1 of them has a small photo with 1 sentence on page 5, the other 2 national newspapers (who've always reported extensively about the Stones in Holland in the past) don't have anything about the Stones at all.

For me, that's one more indication (just like the fact that they're not selling their shows in most of Europe at all) about how the public perceives them.

I don't want them to get that pity, their legacy doesn't deserve that, but it's in their own hands. People will only remember that amusing bunch of old guys who never stopped even when nobody cared anymore, and not what they've meant to musical history etc. That pains me.

quote:
FotiniD wrote:
I'm not saying we should take whatever we're served - but I don't think they're so bad that they should stop. And anyway, if I was so appalled at the Stones sound nowadays, I'd just focus on the golden era and be happy. Should I expect something to stop just because it's no longer good for me? Or to save the legacy?

These are all very subjective things, and for crying out loud, it's THEIR damn legacy, they can choose to do whatever they like with it. I've never understood how fans seem to know what's best for an artist. Just because WE decided to listen to a band, pay money to see them perform live and buy their records, doesn't mean we suddenly purchased shares and we can tell them what to do.

Like I said, it's not about me. It's about them. They're starting to ruin everything people admired about them in the past. I don't want that. Just stating what I don't like to see happening. I'm not delusional, I know I have no influence over what they want to do .

quote:
FotiniD wrote:
If we don't like it, we can just stop paying money to see it, and they'll get the message.

And just what do you think is happening right now? We'll see if they get the message...

quote:
FotiniD wrote:
I know this may come off stupid at parts, but it's the beginning of a damn tour of the band we're supposed to love, and all we seem to do is nag and ask for an end. Excuse me, but that's NOT how I feel. I was very excited for this tour to start, and I still am, and I don't understand how some of you guys get off by nagging at it.

Because that's how we feel, just like you feel how you feel. Simple. We all have a right to express our feelings. Just like you do.
9th June 2007 02:51 PM
Moonisup good post, and very true
9th June 2007 03:08 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
good post, and very true

On the other hand, Paris Hilton going back to jail IS bigger news apparently, as all papers do have that on their front page, with larger articles...
9th June 2007 03:20 PM
Angiegirl Sweet Virginia:

9th June 2007 03:20 PM
Angiegirl Paint It Black:

9th June 2007 03:21 PM
Angiegirl IORR:

9th June 2007 03:23 PM
Gazza
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:

On the other hand, Paris Hilton going back to jail IS bigger news apparently, as all papers do have that on their front page, with larger articles...

Bigger news on Rocks Off, too, as theres been about four separate thread on it in the last couple of days!
9th June 2007 03:23 PM
Angiegirl TD:

9th June 2007 03:24 PM
Angiegirl 2nd part Band introductions:

9th June 2007 03:26 PM
Angiegirl Piece of CYHMK:

9th June 2007 03:30 PM
Angiegirl Free Satisfaction from the neighbours' backyard

9th June 2007 03:49 PM
Angiegirl Pictures:

http://hans.hellevoort.eu/
9th June 2007 04:18 PM
Mel Belli Thanks, Angiegirl. I've been really impressed by how fast these clips are going up - for good and for ill! The band sounds a lot sturdier compared to Werchter. Here's hoping all the king's men can keep Humpty together for the rest of the summer.
9th June 2007 04:28 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:
Thanks, Angiegirl. I've been really impressed by how fast these clips are going up - for good and for ill!

You and me both! A few years ago we couldn't imagine this shit right!
9th June 2007 04:33 PM
throbby With all due respect, these reviews are very subjective. People see and hear what they want to see and hear. I don't think anyone should be taking them with more than a grain of salt.

Angiegirl wrote:

CYHMK was very average at best. They had problems remembering who's cue was up it seemed. Bobby was good, Mick's harmonica piece was shamefully bad (and I've seen him do it very well in 2003, so I know he can), Ronnie's solo didn't resemble anything having to do with logic, rhythm or talent for that matter. I told my mother that my cat Happy does that solo better whenever I accidently step on his tail. I was glad when it was over, and so was Mick it seemed.

Rolling Tony from IORR wrote:

Can't You Hear Me Knocking was the highlight for me. Very well played. Ronnie's solo was beautiful. His guitarsound (a Strat) was much better than during the Licks tour. Less distorted, just a clean natural sound. After the song finished Keith gave Ronnie a hug. Nice moment.

Two different takes on the same event. Who do you believe? Who do you want to believe?
9th June 2007 04:37 PM
Angiegirl
quote:
throbby wrote:

Two different takes on the same event. Who do you believe? Who do you want to believe?

Me of course
9th June 2007 04:39 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
throbby wrote:

Are you a ... relativist?!

Seriously, I can tell who's closer to the "truth" by the quality and detail of the writing. The sharper pen (Angiegirl's) probably has the sharper ears.
9th June 2007 05:10 PM
gimmekeef Music is so subjective anyway....I think they both are right...One persons poison is anothers wine......or whine I suppose ....
9th June 2007 05:16 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Music is so subjective anyway....I think they both are right...One persons poison is anothers wine......or whine I suppose ....

Up to a point. But even the most casual listeners can tell when the bottom falls out of a song...
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)