ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Estadio Anoeta, San Sebastián, 23rd June 2007
© Diario Vasco thanks Jeep and Estela
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Goffert Park, Nijmegen 8th June 2007 - Setlist, Photos and Reviews Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
8th June 2007 05:00 PM
gimmekeef Sounds great.......just drop Brown Sugar and sub in Rambler....perfecto.....
8th June 2007 05:00 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:
correction - Paint It Black was before Brown Sugar

The texts came through "arse about face"

Please explain...
8th June 2007 05:03 PM
mrhipfl
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:
Sounds great.......just drop Brown Sugar and sub in Rambler....perfecto.....

perfecto would be to just add in Rambler, no?
8th June 2007 05:08 PM
pdog
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
That's saying Keith thinks Websters is correct Mr Dog.
You get what you pay for in life, as I know it.
So, that says Randy Moss should give back his two year salary to the Raiders for a crap two years.
Next joke, Mr. Leno

I don't care what Keith thinks... and as far as you talking about an athlete, they are paid according to a contract... How does that apply to the definiton of owe?

What part of I won't ever buy a ticket again, because I don't think I'm geting my moneys worth are you missing?
I didn't get what I paid for at a few Stones gigs, so, I won't do it again. Somehow the good lord saw fit to get me a fre ticket in Oakland, guess i was owed that, or can you provide evidence, that I wasn't owed the free ticket I recieved...

Why don't you drop this... I'm not trying to change your opinion, yet you seem to feel you must now challenge mine... Is there doubt in you. Did me and SS make you question your belief that much... Just nejoy The Stones and that in your eyes, they owe you nothing. I'm cool with that.
8th June 2007 05:09 PM
Gazza
quote:
PartyDoll MEG wrote:
Please explain...

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

7th one down

Learn a few of these before you come over in August. You will be forced to sit an exam at Heathrow and will be sent home on the next plane if you fail!
8th June 2007 05:11 PM
Gazza
quote:
pdog wrote:

They almost always seem to play it in NorCal, I think they dig the cheers during the lyric about California.

They do. I saw them play it at Anaheim on the Licks tour, and that line got a huge roar.
8th June 2007 05:12 PM
PartyDoll MEG
quote:
Gazza wrote:

http://www.effingpot.com/slang.shtml

7th one down

Learn a few of these before you come over in August. You will be forced to sit an exam at Heathrow and will be sent home on the next plane if you fail!

Why can't you just arse backwards???!!!!
8th June 2007 05:13 PM
Nellcote Pdog;

Everyting Arie here.
I made a comment, you replied back.
Low of me to ever want to change anyone's opinion, as it is theirs. Last I knew this is a posting board, where comments are free flow.
I've been cool with what the Stones do for years.

Enjoy the ride!

[Edited by Nellcote]
8th June 2007 05:16 PM
Jeep

8th June 2007 05:21 PM
pdog
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Everyting Arie here.
I made a comment, you replied back.
Low of me to ever want to change anyone's opinion, as it is theirs. Last I knew this is a posting board, where comments are free flow.
I've been cool with what the Stones do for years.

Enjoy the ride!

I replied back, correct. You know why. because in all the discussion we had since, you made comments about 70's playing, and my expectation, which I never stated as my expectation to begin with. You also made comments about getting a refund, which I never asked for or said I wanted. And you said, many times, I and others weren't owed anything. Bringing it up again they way you did, is just continuing this discussion, and you know that... There's no hard feelings from me to you, and I think you know that. I know I'm 100% correct in knowing what I expect, if and when I buy something or if I am getting a good product. I will most likely only go to a Stones show for free from now on... Unless it's a club gig in SF, which they seem to not like doing anyway...
8th June 2007 05:32 PM
Straycat87 Thanks, Gazza and Gunther for the report ! If they go on improving, the Paris show will be terrific !!!
8th June 2007 05:36 PM
FotiniD Hmmm, Angie says it's good, that must indeed mean it was very good.

Now, for all you babies who kept posting beautiful, positive and optimistic stuff like "they should wrap it up", over a bad night, is this just about the right time to say with all the love in the world,

I TOLD YOU SO ????

[Edited by FotiniD]
8th June 2007 05:48 PM
pdog
quote:
FotiniD wrote:
Hmmm, Angie says it's good, that must indeed mean it was very good.

Now, for all you babies who kept posting beautiful, positive and optimistic stuff like "they should wrap it up", over a bad night, is this just about the right time to say with all the love in the world,

I TOLD YOU SO ????

[Edited by FotiniD]

Can you show me where SS or Myself said: "they should wrap it up", over a bad night...
8th June 2007 06:07 PM
sammy davis jr. Mick sure points alot.
8th June 2007 06:10 PM
fireontheplatter
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:

They need to drop that tune. It's too fast for him to sing, and there's too much backup crap. Bring back "You Got The Silver" maybe.

i agree....you got the silver is keith richards thru and thru....

wanna hold you is good...buuuuuut.
8th June 2007 06:18 PM
sammy davis jr. No, "Wanna Hold You" is a TERRIBLE song sung by a terrible singer. The fact it was included on a record just shows how fucking far the quality has fallen.
8th June 2007 06:18 PM
fireontheplatter another batch of wonderful stones songs.....

i'm loving it.

keep rocking guys.
8th June 2007 06:43 PM
mojoman
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Mick sure points alot.

he's the point man for rock and roll
8th June 2007 07:55 PM
maumau good to hear keith was good
anyway, no one noticed that tonight he played 2 fast numbers...?
8th June 2007 08:43 PM
Riffhard Nice to hear these early reviews. I don't think that there was ever a doubt that Keith would deliver again. He can do it. That's what makes it sop frustrating when he doesn't deliver.

Riffy
8th June 2007 10:00 PM
pdog Just read a review of the show from Teiz... it's on GasX3 and The Couch.
Thumbs up for the entire band...
8th June 2007 10:19 PM
Angiegirl Well guys, I still think they should quit, because it has nothing to do with one bad night or one out of tune solo.

Nevertheless, I just returned (4 hours travel, but hey, it's only rock 'n roll right?!).

I decided to go late last night when my mum called me to express her disappointment I still hadn't given in. She really wanted to go. I was very afraid of a repeat of Werchter. But in the end I thought: the hell with it, we'll go very late (work all day and long travel after that), stand in the back, have low expectations and enjoy Bernard on the screen (BTW: mission accomplished in any case).

I left work an hour earlier, and as it turned out that was a wise decision. Because of the thunderstorms passing the country, the rail company cancelled like 9 routes at once, including Utrecht-Nijmegen, my route. My mum came from the South. She was just 2 minutes away from Nijmegen station when lighting struck a transport train right in front of them and it broke down, so they couldn't make it to the station. Their train stood there for over an hour before they could tow away the other train. All in all, we both ended up in Nijmegen very late, 8.15 and it was still pouring down like crazy!

But, we took the bus to the field, walked, entered and found a muddy spot that looked good at the height of the B-stage, but more towards Keef's side. Right on time. My shoes were drenched completely already. The rain stopped and the Stones started. It stayed dry the rest of the night!

Anywayz, the sound was extremely good (no wind!), guitars quite loud in the mix and Mick was obviously in a very cheerful mood, which was amusing to see. I analyzed Keef but thought he looked ok, though I held out on my verdict of course, suspicious as one (meaning me) has become of Keef...

The start was very well. Some little slip-ups, like Mick making a habit of: a) coming in too late, b) having lousy technicians who won't turn on his sound till the 2nd sentence he sings. Annoying. But anyway, he greeted us in Dutch and expressed his heartfelt gratitude to the people who had to sit out the rain(s), the "truly insane rainfall" as Mick called it with a laugh.

Mick slipped up quite a bit during YGMR, uttering one too many Hey Hey's repeatedly and of course messing up his lines.

The came the highlite part of my night: All Down The Line, very well done, bluesy and steady, people as far back as I was started to loosen up and cheer. Quite solid. The She Was Hot, a nice surprise, great lyrics. Mick's facial close-up on the screen when he gestured at the dark-clouded sky singing "Who wants to brave the pouring rain, for a glass of French champagne?" and the grin he gave us, made people laugh and cheer loudly. Always nice moments when he connects with the audience. He always makes an extra effort when the audience has (had) to suffer through crappy weather (I remember Paris Longchamps, Den Haag 98, a passionate Gimme Shelter with Mick getting just as wet as we were in Landgraaf 95, all soaked-to-the-bone muddy field shows with pouring rain).

Sweet Virginia went very well too, Mick only blew one out-of-tune note on his harmonica intro (nothing like Miami 94 I believe it was among others)
He tried to get the people to sing along after the song, but where I was standing, people didn't do much, seemed like they didn't know the chorus too well. But further down the front I imagine it may have been different.

CYHMK was very average at best. They had problems remembering who's cue was up it seemed. Bobby was good, Mick's harmonica piece was shamefully bad (and I've seen him do it very well in 2003, so I know he can), Ronnie's solo didn't resemble anything having to do with logic, rhythm or talent for that matter. I told my mother that my cat Happy does that solo better whenever I accidently step on his tail. I was glad when it was over, and so was Mick it seemed.

I'll Go Crazy, with photos of James Brown being shown on the screen (including a black-and-white one of a very young James and Mick close together in deep conversation) was received remarkably well by the audience. Mick called James 'one of their great inspirators'. Nicely done, Keith was very strong on this one too. He did his Berry moves. Lisa got much applause after her 30 seconds of fame. Too bad they never do a song where Bernard can excell, so I would get satisfied too (apart from the atrocious Anybody Seen My Baby rap-fiascos in 98).

Mick told us in Dutch at the band intros that Bernard is very fond of Dutch girls. I didn't like the plural particularly .

Anyway, on with the show... Keith. "It's great to be here. And as I always say: it's great to be anywhere". *Cringe*. People cheered, he mumbled and swayed, I frowned. When I could make out 'Wanna Hold You' in his mumbles, my frown got deeper. I contemplated leaving to save myself the embarrassment. But, it was ok. Not good, but he knew his lines at least this time and his guitar work at the end even resembled the original marginally. Compared to Werchter, it was Rock 'n Roll's Finest Moment. I pictured Andrew Loog Oldham locking him in the kitchen for 3 days, playing him that song over the speakers, the walls covered with sheet music and lyrics. Must be. Happy thoughts.

I was also very glad when he announced Happy, because as much as I love Slipping Away on record (and maybe the live version years ago), Keef can't do it proper anymore and it becomes a wailing boring drag. However, when he fucked up the intro and first half of Happy, I felt right at home again. I don't think I have seen one out of my 15 shows in 2003 where he had it right with Happy or Brown Sugar. I just laughed and shook my head, and spent my time placing my feet in a slightly drier mudpool.

The B-stage set was ok, sound was good, people got mad during All Over Now and Satisfaction. I didn't. But it was nice to see. Mick's face-mike thingy didn't work at the start of It's All Over Now, and he grabbed a regular mike, but they had problems and there was some loud interference coming from the speakers a few times.

During HTW the B-stage started its return-journey, but it got stuck almost halfway through. Mick was gesturing and looking down for explanations from the crew. But he kept singing in the meantime like a pro. They (the crew) pushed and pulled the thing and it started up again.

Sympathy was quite good, Keef was way too late for his solo part, but when he got going, it was acceptable sort of. Mick shot him a very annoyed look, Ronnie burst out laughing when he saw that (relieved it wasn't hime for a change being on the receiving end no doubt) and Keith swept his head and ignored them both. Classic! Made me all tingly, couldn't help but laugh out loud.

PIB was very good, I held my breath at the intro, but Keith did it flawlessly I think as far as I remember, and Mick even came in on time, so miracles do happen folks!

All in all I was pleasantly surprised, they hadn't let me down. The atmosphere was very good, they clearly enjoyed it and made a great extra effort for us. I appreciate that.
It was my 42nd official Stones show since May 1990. I can live with that.

But I still hope they'll stop this, because now every judgement has become so relative to how they are now, too unsure, too much the same drag.

Or at least let them switch to 10-songs acoustic gems shows in clubs.

Even if it is in Vegas.
8th June 2007 10:21 PM
mmdog
quote:
sammy davis jr. wrote:
Mick sure points alot.

You would of enjoyed the skit he did on SNL in 2001, with Jimmy Fallon. Wonder if it's on You Tube?
8th June 2007 10:27 PM
pdog A-Girl... I am now a huge fan of yours. Great detailed review, combined with Tiez's I really feel the scene and have two great prespectives...Glad you had a fun time!
Thanks!
8th June 2007 10:38 PM
throbby Yes, a nice read.
8th June 2007 10:42 PM
Lord Homosex Thanks a whole lot Angie-Girl. That's a review to take to the bank. And I agree w/you that they should hang it up. When reviews are based on holding your breath alternating with "Phew! They did not fuck it up too bad", then it's quitting time.
A successful performance is measured not by how great it was, but by how little of it embarrassed in suckage.
8th June 2007 10:43 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
Mick told us in Dutch at the band intros that Bernard is very fond of Dutch girls. I didn't like the plural particularly .

Bernard is very fond of a Dutch A-girl

8th June 2007 11:59 PM
mojoman thank you angie!!!
9th June 2007 12:26 AM
rnbbird Thanks to all for your comments...I still get a few chills from the setlist!... and thanks to Angie for the detailed breakdown!
Peace from Denver!
9th June 2007 12:35 AM
oldkr So Mick didn't mention about Bernard and he Dutch boys then....hmmm... Sounds like a great show tho!!

OLDKR
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)