ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Kicking the tour off babies!
First show of the tour and live debut for Rocks Off
Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver BC - June 3, 1972
© 1972 Globe Photos / Rex Features - With thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: congrats nellcote and jaxx (nsc) Return to archive
June 17th, 2005 10:41 AM
mac_daddy Boston, Boulder Score High On Pot Poll
# U.S. Government Maps Marijuana Use

Jun 17, 2005 6:20 am US/Pacific
WASHINGTON (AP) Both college towns, Boston and Boulder, Colo., share another distinction: They lead the nation in marijuana use. Northwestern Iowa and southern Texas have the lowest use.

For the first time, the government looked at the use of drugs, cigarettes, alcohol and various other substances, legal as well as illegal, by region rather than by state for a report Thursday.

Regions could be as specific as Riverside, Calif., or as broad as all of the state of New York (minus New York City).

Federal officials say the information will help states decide where they should spend money for treatment and prevention programs.

For marijuana, 5.1 percent of people around the country reported using marijuana in the previous 30 days. In Boston, the home of Boston University, Boston College, Northeastern and several other colleges, 12.2 percent reported using marijuana in the previous 30 days.

John Auerbach, executive director of the public health commission for the city of Boston, said the survey might not reflect current marijuana use in Boston because the data came from 1999-2001 national surveys.

“All that said, we’re not surprised that substance abuse is a serious issue in the Boston area,” Auerbach said. “The mayor and the health department have made the issue of substance abuse a top public health priority.”

Auerbach also acknowledged that the data may reflect the city’s significant 20-something population.

“College students in general have a more relaxed attitude about marijuana than other age groups,” he said. “But in general, I don’t think Boston has a markedly differently perspective on marijuana than other parts of the country.”

The federal report doesn’t explain why certain regions fare worse than others when it comes to smoking pot or cigarettes, or for heavy alcohol use, only that they do.

In Boulder County, the home of the University of Colorado, 10.3 percent reported using marijuana during the same time period. But a public health official who has studied marijuana usage there said he too had doubts about the report.

Dr. Chuck Stout, the county’s public health director, said he has studied marijuana usage among teens. The percentage of high school students in Boulder County who acknowledged smoking marijuana differed little from state and national averages. He said he doubted that students at the university were heavier marijuana users than students at dozens of other universities around the country.

“Where you have concentrations of younger, active people, you’ll have more experimentation with a variety of risk behaviors, but that’s true for so many other parts of the country as well,” Stout said. “I think this (report) is a huge stretch.”

Federal officials said they highlighted the marijuana report because it’s the most commonly used illicit drug. But the survey also measures 11 other categories.

For example, the survey measures binge drinking—defined as five or more drinks in one setting.

Nationally, 20 percent of people age 12 and older reported one or more episodes of binge drinking during the previous month.

Boston scored high in that category, too, with nearly 30 percent of respondents acknowledging binge drinking. But the Northeast and Southeast regions of North Dakota reported binge drinking among 32 percent of residents of that age group. Overall, North Dakota had the highest rate of binge drinking when compared with other states -- 29.2 percent.

“The further north you are, typically, the more alcohol is consumed,” said Douglas Wright, a mathematical statistician with the federal government who helped put the report together.

http://cbs2.com/water/watercooler_story_168090308.html
June 17th, 2005 10:43 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Northwestern Iowa and southern Texas have the lowest use.

what the hell is going on down there, bloozehound..?
June 17th, 2005 10:44 AM
egon just say no

or yes
June 17th, 2005 11:19 AM
Martha I always wanted to move to Boulder! Now I know why!!! LOL
June 17th, 2005 11:31 AM
jb
quote:
Martha wrote:
I always wanted to move to Boulder! Now I know why!!! LOL

Hi Martha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 17th, 2005 11:39 AM
Martha
quote:
jb wrote:
Hi Martha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi darlin'! Where have you BEEN all my life?!!! I've missed you!
June 17th, 2005 01:18 PM
Dan
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

In Texas you can't even trust your dog.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/­kansascity/news/weird_news/109­14669.htm

Too-helpful pooch puts the collar on owner

By DOMINGO RAMIREZ JR.

Fort Worth (Texas) Star-Telegram

For at least one day, man's best friend was no amigo.

J.D., a Labrador retriever, recovered a plastic bag containing
marijuana from water at the Bear Creek Park Frisbee Golf Course on
Monday afternoon, giving it back to its owner, who was standing beside
a police officer.

Doggone it.

J.D.'s owner, Matthew Porter, 25, of Richland Hills, was arrested along
with Micah Hays, 24, of Euless.

Porter's bad day started shortly before 4:30 p.m. Monday at the park,
in the 3600 block of Texas 360. Officer Cris Brichetto stopped Porter,
Hays and a 31-year-old Mansfield man on the golf course after the
officer smelled marijuana.

As Brichetto checked wheth-er the men were wanted on outstanding
warrants, J.D. retrieved the bag from the water.

Bad dog.

Hays told the officer that the bag belonged to him, police said. It
contained almost 4 grams of marijuana, police said.

June 17th, 2005 02:09 PM
mac_daddy

reminds me of that scene from one of those cheech and chong films...

June 17th, 2005 02:15 PM
Joey " I always wanted to move to Boulder! Now I know why!!! "

< ------ Hi Martha !!!!
June 17th, 2005 03:09 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

well their survey is seriously flawed then, figures, its government funded

south texas is infested with drugs, that's all there really is there, I grew up down there, everybody uses, that's just the way it is

most of my old friends there are all serving time because of one drug offense or another

my brother almost got sent up, but got lucky, sent to rehab and moved off to cali, he's doing ok, but my cousin got popped for dealing last year and is currently doing 2 years

I'm so glad I got the fuck outta there or I'd probably be in the pen too

fuck'n narcs
June 17th, 2005 03:13 PM
Ten Thousand Motels Here's one for Texas!

NELSON'S DRINK AND DRUG BALANCING ACT

WILLIE NELSON refuses to give up smoking cannabis, because it is the only thing which prevents him lapsing into an alcohol-induced depression.

The 72-year-old country star had to cut down on his whiskey drinking habit as it made him maudlin, but he found drinking combined with the relaxing drug balanced his mental state.

He explains, "Whiskey made me very negative and pot calmed me down a little bit.

"I was drinking too much and smoking a little pot made it better.

"You can just as well be a happy drunk if you want to be and sing happy songs and have a good time, but a lot of the time there's that negative thing that leaks in there."

17/06/2005 19:16

June 17th, 2005 03:17 PM
Bloozehound supposively whiskey made willie mean

ever heard that story about how his wife sewed him up in the bedsheets after he passed out from one of his drunkin rampages

June 17th, 2005 05:43 PM
gypsy
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
supposively whiskey made willie mean

ever heard that story about how his wife sewed him up in the bedsheets after he passed out from one of his drunkin rampages

That's a helluva funny story. After sewing him up in the sheets, she popped him a few times with a baseball bat.

Was that in Honeysuckle Rose, by the way? If not, it should have been!
June 17th, 2005 05:55 PM
Joey " That's a helluva funny story. After sewing him up in the sheets, she popped him a few times with a baseball bat. "

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 17th, 2005 05:56 PM
gypsy
quote:
Joey wrote:
" That's a helluva funny story. After sewing him up in the sheets, she popped him a few times with a baseball bat. "

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The same thing will happen to you if I find you out with "Cafe Hostess Jill" one more time.
Do you understand me?!
June 17th, 2005 06:01 PM
Joey
quote:
gypsy wrote:

The same thing will happen to you if I find you out with "Cafe Hostess Jill" one more time.
Do you understand me?!

Jill is History ! Joey found a new friend .

I am currently banging the young woman who lives in the apartment directly below mine .

JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJACKY !
June 17th, 2005 06:52 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
gypsy wrote:

That's a helluva funny story. After sewing him up in the sheets, she popped him a few times with a baseball bat.

Was that in Honeysuckle Rose, by the way? If not, it should have been!

I hate to admit it, but I don't recall if it was, it's been so long since I've seen that flick, but I know it's documented in his biography

I do remember channel surfing once and Oprah was having one of those celebrity lover confession shows, one of the ladies on it said she was Willie's lover during the 70's, and that they'd have "marathon" style sexscapades, meaning they'd have sex for like for 6-8 hours straight, and that at the end of the ordeal Willie would end it by doing nekkid backflips on the bed

LOL~!

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)