ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Kicking the tour off babies!
First show of the tour and live debut for Rocks Off
Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver BC - June 3, 1972
Đ 1972 Globe Photos / Rex Features - With thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stikkyfingers Live-a review Return to archive
June 11th, 2005 05:42 PM
Mickijaggeroo Got a mail earlier this week containing a liverecording from the british coverband
Stikkyfingers, and I really liked it, so here is a short review:

Stikkyfingers:
Live Into The MAG Farmyard 2004

1. Little Red Rooster

Excellent slide work!
And what strikes you is the musicianship. No sloppy playing, the band are really skilled at their instruments.
The main vocal is a deadringer for Jagger, and this is the true for all the songs.
This is scary at moments, in a good way

2. You Canīt Always Get What You Want.

The basswork stands out on this one, really innovative and good.
Accoustic guitar is added here, wich makes for a nice touch.
And the song rolls along with a nice solo

3.Just My Imagination

The Temptations did the original, the Stones did a cover and so do the Stikkyīs.
A really good choice for a coverband that want to stand out from the rest.
This is what I like in a good coverband, when they do not play the "Sweet Home Alabamas",
you know what I mean.

4.Gimme Shelter

"Get on with it!" OK!
Very good intro, remember that the studioversion had up to 8 guitars on it (or something like it)!
The bassline on this one is quite different, a new angle so to speak, but in a good way.
This song along with Midnight Rambler is probably my two alltime Stones favorites.
The Stikkys do a fine job of it.

5.Itīs All Over Now

This is a highlight of the record, the guitarsolo is sweet, and so is the outro.
Excellent version, this is really good.

6.Angie

The accoustic on this one makes the whole song, the singing is emotional as it should be.
Nice version.

7.Paint It Black

Spanish intro of course, very good version, you hear the audience going off on this one.
A version true to the original.

8.Miss You

Again the bass stands out, as it should, because this is a bass-driven song.
A faster version than the original including harmonica.
Probably the best guitarsolo on the whole record.
I measure all guitarsolos against Mick Taylor and David Gilmour

9.Little Queenie

You canīt go wrong with Chuck!
This is something the Stones should bring back again in the setlist, it belongs there, and the Stikkys proves why.

Conclusion: One of the best coverbands I heard in a long time when it comes to the Stones.
I always find something negative, like the singer doesīnt sound right, guitars in need of tuning,
someone speeding the songs up, sloppy playing.
Not so with the Stikkyfingers, they are skilled musicians, the singer is very good, and i want more

I really have nothing really negative to say about this record, itīs a labor of love, and should be judged like that. And I will play it again.
June 13th, 2005 11:58 AM
Stikkyfinger Thankyou once again Vilhelm!

Thanks for posting your review here at Rocks Off and at IORR and http://mickijaggeroo.proboards38.com/index.cgi (www.stonesvikings.com)!!

Regards,

Ian.

PS - That's another cheque in the post to you! lol!

Download YCAGWYW here http://www.iangillon.karoo.net/YCAGWYW.mp3
[Edited by Stikkyfinger]
June 13th, 2005 12:37 PM
J.J.Flash I've once listened their version of Angie and it was really perfect.

Congratulations one more time Ian Gillon. Send me another versions of Stones's songs if you have them recorded in your HD.

Cheers!
June 13th, 2005 02:32 PM
Stray Cat UK I saw them a couple of month and they are great.
They are not a tribute band. ie; they don't attempt to look like the Stones or do any Mick / Keith moves ,but they have the sound nailed ,open tunings and all.

I saw a local band at the weekend and they did BS &JJF ,but made (IMHO) the classic mistakes of playing them too heavy and fast ,with over the top drumming.

Stikkyfingers don't do that..they rock.

Hello Ian and thanks again for "sympathy"

Dave - straycatuk
June 13th, 2005 04:30 PM
69 Chevy There was a band called "Sticky Fingers" that played the New Jersey shore bars every summer. Lead singer did a fair Jagger impersonation. They weren't to bad after a few drinks. Cover/tribute bands were/are still big in that area.
June 16th, 2005 11:44 AM
Stikkyfinger
quote:
Stray Cat UK wrote:
I saw them a couple of month and they are great.
They are not a tribute band. ie; they don't attempt to look like the Stones or do any Mick / Keith moves ,but they have the sound nailed ,open tunings and all.

I saw a local band at the weekend and they did BS &JJF ,but made (IMHO) the classic mistakes of playing them too heavy and fast ,with over the top drumming.

Stikkyfingers don't do that..they rock.

Hello Ian and thanks again for "sympathy"

Dave - straycatuk

Thanks again Dave! I reckon that's another pint I owe you mate!(as well as the free CD!)

Regards,

Ian.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)