ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Kicking the tour off babies!
First show of the tour and live debut for Rocks Off
Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver BC - June 3, 1972
© 1972 Globe Photos / Rex Features - With thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Oh No, Not You Again Return to archive
June 10th, 2005 04:21 PM
Gimme Shelter I just watched the rehearsel video of this song on rollingstones.com. It sounded very cool, reminds me of something off of "It's Only Rock & Roll."
June 10th, 2005 04:31 PM
blackandblue More Some Girls to me.
June 10th, 2005 04:43 PM
Bloozehound I'm beginning to think some of you need to "get out" more

ONNYA is Don't Stops fraternal twin, different looking, a tad meaner, maybe leaner, but still cut from the same lame gene pool

it's becoming harder and harder to believe these are the same guys who gave us shit like Beast of Burden, Tumbling Dice and Dead Flowers. I'm not saying they have to reinvent the wheel this time out, but everyday I get the feeling Keith's "Losing My Touch" is becoming more prophetic than ever

I hope I'm wrong, but I've seen nothing so far to really convince me otherwise
June 10th, 2005 04:52 PM
blackandblue No, you are right unfortunately
June 10th, 2005 05:07 PM
Some Guy please post this song so I can jam! the cleaner version. Thanking you in advance!
June 10th, 2005 06:43 PM
Poplar
yeah - somebody post the "rehearsal" bersion
June 10th, 2005 08:41 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
it's becoming harder and harder to believe these are the same guys who gave us shit like Beast of Burden, Tumbling Dice and Dead Flowers. I'm not saying they have to reinvent the wheel this time out, but everyday I get the feeling Keith's "Losing My Touch" is becoming more prophetic than ever

Yes that's what I was thinking the other day, can it be the same guys who wrote "Sympathy for the Devil" or "Salt of the Earth" ! I guess they will never make "bad" music, but it seems they have lost any kind of artistic ambition especially at the lyric level, sad, sad, sad !
June 11th, 2005 01:03 AM
BrianJonesForever Yea, I'm sad to say I didn't like the song the second I heard it at the press conference. I feel awful saying that(a bit like me saying that, yes, the Sox played awful today), but we have to be straight here!
June 11th, 2005 05:46 AM
Reptile Sounds cool! I think it's much better than Don't Stop. Don't Stop isn't that good a song, they just needed a few new licks to keep it from being just a best-of album, and you just HAD to buy it, because of the 4 songs. Sneaky...

These guys really haven't produces real good music for the last few years. Bridges To Babylon isn't really good. When was the last time you put on Bridges To Babylon?! It gets boring.

I think the main problem really is Keith. No offence; on stage he rocks, but his playing has drasticly changes over the last few years. His Chuck Berry influenced playing is never futured in the newer songs. He just gets his 5-string and writes some more of the same. For those of you who don't play guitar, let me explain. Songs like Brown Sugar, Honky Tonk Woman, Start Me Up, all those classics, are played in a guitar tuning called "open G". It's different from the standard tuning. Most of the Some Girls stuff is written in standard tuning. Open G only has 3 real chords, he uses them in all the classics I named earlier. He's gotten addicted to it. It's lost it's touch, if you know what I mean.

Songs like It's Only Rock 'N Roll are what I mean with Chuck Berry style playing. Keith rocks at it, it would be cool if he wrote some more of that.

Keith has just changed allot, some times it's cool, but sometimes you wish he'd just play some stuff like he did in the 60's. Do another Chuck Berry cover!
June 11th, 2005 07:55 AM
keith_tif Don't Stop is not very good, I prefer tracks on Dirty Work to Don't stop!
BTB isn't so bad: i like Anybody seen my baby, Saint of me, Gunface, Already aver me, Always suffering!

Maybe Stones should put more electronic in their musics, because Guitars (rythm & Bass), Drum, it's very limited tu change!
For example: i like Emotionnal Rescue, why don't they play it on stage!

I would that they forget Satisfaction, JJF, SFTD, IORR, BS, on this tour! I don't believe it but i like dreaming!!

June 11th, 2005 04:09 PM
CraigP I've instinctively adopted some of Keith's open G style into my mostly standard tuned playing. I do LOVE playing in open G, it feels more natural esp. with the 3 finger barre chords on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th strings. I notice how Berry's style metamorphisised through Keith to me to more modern sounding riffage. One day my bandmate told someone that I'm Keith reincarnated and my head inflated (in a good way). I replied with "No I'm not, I'm Craig".

I do prefer any song off of Dirty Work to the lame, boring, tired, lacklustre "Dont Stop"... However I disagree with the staement on how they should use more electronics because real instruments are limited?
I beleive there is no limit to what you can do with a guitar/drums etc... Bridges to Bablon is a drag, alot because of the annoying electronics and a disgusting attempt at rap. I like some of Emotional Rescue (not the song itself but the punk numbers.

June 11th, 2005 11:31 PM
exile I too was very disapointed by BRIDGES

I tried to deny it myself but eventually i just had to say that...NO....I did not like that album...some good songs but overall bad.

I really have high hopes......I believe ONNYA (besides lame lyrics) is 100% better than anything on BRIDGES.

at the same time trying not to get hopes TOO high.

June 12th, 2005 01:49 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! To each their own, but I think this tune is a great rocker and Keith has that sound back, dirty guitar and amps which have been missing for a long while now.
June 13th, 2005 12:29 PM
texile yeah, you guys are right - some girls was mick and THAT'S why it had that different vibe..........
the open g is great and distinctive but it can also be very limiting - and keith is just plain fucking lazy.
the stones are no longer lean and mean and nasty.
June 13th, 2005 12:36 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy Really? I like this song's riff. Keith has always been a fairly lazy motherfucker when it comes to iconic riffs from about 1968 on, with the extremely notable exception of Jumping Jack Flash. I don't mean there aren't any (because that would be stupid to suggest), but rather that his sound has that sort of sluggish appeal to it, an everyman tone, as opposed to the tightly-coiled early Stones.

No, what I hate about this song are the lyrics. "The moon is yellow, I'm like Jell-o, sliding down your tits?" What the fuck does Mick Jagger think he's doing? Does he believe anyone's going to take him even remotely seriously with lines like that?
June 13th, 2005 12:49 PM
ResidentMule i liked Bridges. it sounds like its own album. if the best thing I can say about the new stuff is that it sounds like Some Girls, I'll be very disappointed (though I don't think that will be the case). B2B had some utterly useless songs and terrible lyrics, but Keith's songs make the album worthwhile, even if they aren't rockers

I didn't like Don't Stop very much, and from what I've heard I like ONNYA much less. I said to myself I was gonna hold back on judging the song until I heard the released version, but then I heard the jello line. I really hope Mick can do better than that
June 13th, 2005 01:04 PM
Stonesmillenium2001 Bridges to Babylon I ranked a little lower. I ranked Voodoo Lounge higher. I kind of wish Bridges went the direction of Voodoo Lounge.
June 13th, 2005 02:05 PM
gotdablouse B2B >>> VL - the reason, it has two memorable songs on it, VL has an overall ok buzz but the best material was left to appear on Stew I reckon.
June 13th, 2005 05:57 PM
keith_tif like gotdablouse

for me BTB>>>VL because on this album, Stones took more risks and Any Body Seen my baby is very good single!

VL is too much classical! Young people don't like this album!
June 13th, 2005 07:13 PM
Poplar
quote:
keith_tif wrote:
Any Body Seen my baby is very good single!

You're smoking crack. ASMB is THE reason i never throw in BtoB. rest of it is ok, but man, the "rap" part is unbearable.
June 13th, 2005 07:31 PM
Nasty Habits The "rap" in question is the Diabolical BIZ Markee and is a fuckin' classic 12" drop! Diss da Biz at your own peril!

Has no one noticed that the "Moon is Yellow" thing is a direct reference to Lloyd Price's version of "Stagger Lee", which starts off "The night was clear and the moon was yellow and the leaves came tumbling . . . down."?

You gotta at least give home-Jag props for pre-60s R&B culture line drop.

By the time they get to that verse in the PC version (post solo) the band has a pretty damn impressive head of steam going.

Anyway, I think ONNYA has more laffs in it than just about any post '89 Stones track, so I give it points for that. The lyrics manage to be so utterly ridiculous that they're funny. I'm all for funny Stones. If there's anything I miss more than laughs in post '89 Stones I don't know what it is. Maybe great songs.

Still for, you know, DIE HARDS ONLY. I am unconvinced that I would talk about this song with any enthusiasm any place other than one of these Stones-Sactioned Mental Institutions.

And it's STARING DOWN YOUR TITS, not sliding.

Like this:

[Edited by Nasty Habits]
June 13th, 2005 07:38 PM
Soldatti
quote:
keith_tif wrote:
VL is too much classical! Young people don't like this album!

young people don't like anything post 1981.
June 13th, 2005 08:43 PM
exile
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:
Anyway, I think ONNYA has more laffs in it than just about any post '89 Stones track, .......... I'm all for funny Stones. If there's anything I miss more than laughs in post '89 Stones I don't know what it is.

I agree I miss those piss taking songs and that sense of humour in some stones songs...'Some Girls', 'Far Away Eyes'

June 16th, 2005 08:17 AM
Zack
quote:
Nasty Habits wrote:

And it's STARING DOWN YOUR TITS, not sliding.

Like this:

[Edited by Nasty Habits]

Great shot! How can you NOT stare down such a rack in a dress like that. Armed with this image, I'm going to love ONNYA forever! I think at the time Mick was saying "I, uh, I mean, um, yes, er, hello."
June 16th, 2005 08:41 AM
Nasty Habits It was definitely the image that flashed in my mind the first time I heard those lyrics.

That's neuveaux burlesque sensation and marilyn manson girlfriend Dita Von Teese, by the way.

She's worth a google goggle.

Or two.

June 16th, 2005 09:31 AM
Voodoo Scrounge I personaly think that Anybody Seen My Baby is a great song. Everybody takes the piss out of the rap, but how can you call that a rap. He is in no way trying to rap, its a experimental vocal effect in the song.
Dont forget that the stones have always been a very experimental band. We wouldnt likeit if they always sounded the same. This is eveident in this thread where people are saying the the open G tuning is samey.

Dont Stop is a solid song. A catchy riff, simple tune and a perfect song to throw on an album which was just a Greatest hits. The Stones were very clever when they put that on Forty Licks. They knew that with it being a new song, long term Stones fans would buy it even thought they had most of the songs on the album. It was also more catchy than any of the other three new songs, so they released it as a single.

Oh No Not You Again will be much better than you expect when you hear the recorded version Im sure. But live I think it Licks
June 16th, 2005 10:38 AM
Gazza
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:
I personaly think that Anybody Seen My Baby is a great song. Everybody takes the piss out of the rap, but how can you call that a rap. He is in no way trying to rap, its a experimental vocal effect in the song.
Dont forget that the stones have always been a very experimental band. We wouldnt likeit if they always sounded the same. This is eveident in this thread where people are saying the the open G tuning is samey.

Dont Stop is a solid song. A catchy riff, simple tune and a perfect song to throw on an album which was just a Greatest hits. The Stones were very clever when they put that on Forty Licks. They knew that with it being a new song, long term Stones fans would buy it even thought they had most of the songs on the album. It was also more catchy than any of the other three new songs, so they released it as a single.

Oh No Not You Again will be much better than you expect when you hear the recorded version Im sure. But live I think it Licks

the guitar coda at the end of ASMB is a good enough reason for buying that album. Its the most beautiful part of any Stones record in two decades (not enough to make the SONG a classic but a gorgeous solo nonetheless and overall a fine song). Unfortunately, its by Waddy Wachtel and not Keith or Ronnie. I still hope they'll never play it live agin because on the BTB tour it was almost without question performed appallingly every night

BTB is overall a bloody fine album and I still listen to a lot - more than VL although I like that album too. BTB has no clunkers on it, VL has two or three - and BTB has two or three songs far superior to anything on VL.

"Oh No" has a good and hummable riff but (as I said when I first heard it) possibly the most embarrassingly trite lyrics I've ever heard on a Stones song. Sorry Nasty, I dont buy that Lloyd Price comparison. That "moon is yellow" line is just a cliched throwaway bit of space filler lyric to me thats been used numerous times down the years. Its about as cliched and naff as hearing some sappy love song with a line ending in "tomorrow" and knowing that its going to be rhymed with "sorrow".
June 16th, 2005 09:51 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Voodoo Scrounge wrote:

I hope that you're right.
June 16th, 2005 11:19 PM
Nasty Habits
quote:
Gazza wrote:

"Oh No" has a good and hummable riff but (as I said when I first heard it) possibly the most embarrassingly trite lyrics I've ever heard on a Stones song. Sorry Nasty, I dont buy that Lloyd Price comparison. That "moon is yellow" line is just a cliched throwaway bit of space filler lyric to me thats been used numerous times down the years. Its about as cliched and naff as hearing some sappy love song with a line ending in "tomorrow" and knowing that its going to be rhymed with "sorrow".

I was kind of joking about the Lloyd Price thing, Gazza, although when I heard "Stagger Lee" recently it did make me think of ONNYA. But I don't actually think yellow moons are as common in song as all tomorrow's sorrows. Neville Brothers, Frank Sinatra . . . what else you got?

But I dissed the White Stripes in another thread for bad lyrics, and one of the bad lyric songs is "White Moon", so fuck moons, the lyrics SUCK. I had the exact same reaction you did the first time I heard it (my sphinctors clutched close to snapping upon the delivery of the first three lines) but have come to embrace the awfulness of it all and figure it MUST be the intent. And I do play it a lot. But, I mean, *thee Mick Jagger* can't think the words are good, can he? I figure you either laugh or cry.

And come on, ONNYA isn't the tritest and naffest Stones lyric ever. That honor belongs to Brand Now Car!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)