ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Kicking the tour off babies!
First show of the tour and live debut for Rocks Off
Pacific Coliseum, Vancouver BC - June 3, 1972
© 1972 Globe Photos / Rex Features - With thanks to Gypsy!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Dirty Work coverphoto Return to archive
June 7th, 2005 02:22 AM
padre I noticed a funny thing on that horrible Dirty Work covershot: Keith has his knee hitting Mick's crotch. What do you think, is it an accident that no-one noticed or was it left in purpose? I'm sure that in those days Keef wouldn't have minded sticking his knee to Mick's balls!
June 7th, 2005 09:44 AM
exile Everyone always shits all over that DIRTY WORK cover...which it is a terrible cover i agree.

its all fine in hindsight...

but we were all wearing the same shit

we all thought a FLURO "DAYGLO" HYPERCOLOUR TSHIRT (shows your body heat areas) were fuckin cool then at night we would chenge into out checked collar shirt and THIN leather tie, and those baggy pants and winklle pickers......

we all looked ridiculious have a look at your old photos......
June 7th, 2005 10:04 AM
Nasty Habits The Dirty Work cover is not an issue if you find an original LP with the red shrink wrap still on it. The photo composition is actually pretty interesting if you don't sweat the color scheme. With the colors all toned thus, Dirty Work turns into what it really is: THE ANGRY RED ALBUM.

June 7th, 2005 11:08 AM
Maxlugar [quote]Nasty Habits wrote:
The Dirty Work cover is not an issue if you find an original LP with the red shrink wrap still on it. The photo composition is actually pretty interesting if you don't sweat the color scheme. With the colors all toned thus, Dirty Work turns into what it really is: THE ANGRY RED ALBUM.

Don't waste your time Nasty. There are many covers worse than Dirty Work (Emotional Rescue, Undercover, Steel Wheels, Exile on Main street) but the unknowing masses will alwasy target "The Great One".

June 7th, 2005 11:19 AM
blackandblue
quote:
exile wrote:
Everyone always shits all over that DIRTY WORK cover...which it is a terrible cover i agree.

its all fine in hindsight...

we all thought a FLURO "DAYGLO" HYPERCOLOUR TSHIRT (shows your body heat areas) were fuckin cool then at night we would chenge into out checked collar shirt and THIN leather tie, and those baggy pants and winklle pickers......

I never had such ridiculous clothes!
June 7th, 2005 12:46 PM
Saint Sway does anyone recall the promo ad the Stones put out to promote Dirty Work?

it was a really cool B&W photo of the band. One of the best group shots I've ever seen. They look raunchy and well... like the Stones. It was cool. Shoulda been the album cover pic.
June 7th, 2005 01:05 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
exile wrote:

Too true... I remember I had some loud fuschia pink or pistacchio green pullovers, trousers and socks and a black-and-emerald diamond-checked sweater, with a row of big goldlike buttons!

Blame the Eighties, folks!
June 7th, 2005 01:20 PM
kath charlie was totally strung out on dirty work...which is why i hate the cover so much....

do you mean this shot?

June 7th, 2005 02:56 PM
Saint Sway yeah thats the one! Thanks Kath!

Keef looks frightening. Charlie looks discheveled. Mick looks like a gigalo. Woody looks debaucherous. Dirty work indeed!
June 7th, 2005 05:20 PM
kath yeah, i have a big poster of it framed in my computer room....charlie is ashamed...he knows he has really fucked up...

it's creepy how wyman looks like he's watching over his flock or something....
June 13th, 2005 10:04 PM
CraigP I have the origional LP wit the shrink-wrap cover on it with the sticker "Are you gonna follow the beat or do I gotta whip ya?"
June 18th, 2005 09:40 AM
Honky Tonk Man The music is shocking, but I really don't think that the Dirty Work cover shot is THAT bad. I think people are tying it in too much with the awful music.

There are some atrocious Stones covers and much worse than Dirty Work. Steel Wheels anyone?
June 18th, 2005 09:55 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

There are some atrocious Stones covers and much worse than Dirty Work. Steel Wheels anyone?

that album is alot worse, too...
June 18th, 2005 10:09 AM
Honky Tonk Man
quote:
mac_daddy wrote:

that album is alot worse, too...

Your kidding, right?

Steel Wheels is a tad let down by the 80's style production, while Dirty Work is let down by bad songs. Simple as that.
June 18th, 2005 10:21 AM
glencar Steel Wheels definitely had a worse cover. DW has a couple of bricks but overall, the songs are better.
June 18th, 2005 10:33 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

Your kidding, right?

Steel Wheels is a tad let down by the 80's style production, while Dirty Work is let down by bad songs. Simple as that.

i'm not kidding. steel wheels sucks. it turned me off of the stones completely until i heard "love is strong" by accident, which i remember was right before that rs cover story came out... 1994 maybe..?

but steel wheels turned me off from the get go, big time, and it took a cool song like "love is strong" to bring me back...

dirty work is solid, and while it has some horrible songs (winning ugly, and there is one more, but winning ugly is the worst, maybe of their career), and there were some glaring omissions (invitation and one of those mixes of going back to memphis, the harder one that swings), it still kicks steel wheels' a$$ - that album blows - that is why i dont begrudge bill leaving, he left after the definite lowpoint... they should let him back in, but that is another story altogether...

the only experience worse than steel wheels that i have had with an artist that i gave a sh*t about was bowie's never let me down/glass spider tragedy. i am STILL down on him for that!!!
June 18th, 2005 10:36 AM
glencar I bought the cut out version of Never Let Me Down. They literally made an indentation into the jewel case like they used to do with albums.
June 18th, 2005 11:03 AM
mac_daddy
quote:
glencar wrote:
I bought the cut out version of Never Let Me Down. They literally made an indentation into the jewel case like they used to do with albums.

there was some money well spent :P

i had it on album. i had to write a review of it for the school paper, and i wrote a negative one, because the album sucked, and the higher ups told me it was too negative, and i needed to go rewrite it and brighten it up. i quit the paper. what year was that..? then i went to the tour stop at angels' stadium, just to see him live (because the serious moonlight tour was great), and that a$$ spider show was the worst concert i have ever seen, like worse than starlight express!!!

i have to say, the who retreading their hits (right after their broadway production of tommy - the first one in like 1989), comes in a close second. it is unfortunate, because after white city (the album with face the face, which i loved), everything i have heard or seen from the who, or its members, has turned me off more and more...

like sting. what the f*ck happened to him..? the police - their body of work stands intact (synchronicity kinda blows, but the others are a real progression, and fantastic from start to finish). blue turtles - great! bring on the night movie/soundtrack/tour - fantastic! "we'll be together" single - wtf? nothing like the sun - has its moments, but the hype reminds me of the way everybody was humping jackie brown because they missed the boat completely with reservoir dogs and pulp fiction. in a word, overrated... and then, well now he's fit to do a double bill with the eagles - the "we couldnt suck more" tour...
June 18th, 2005 11:29 AM
glencar I think Never Let Me Down was 87/88. It hit the cut-out bin very quickly.
June 18th, 2005 09:11 PM
icydanger
quote:
kath wrote:
charlie was totally strung out on dirty work...which is why i hate the cover so much....

do you mean this shot?

it's nice to come here and find this topic .... and pic

as for the cover

gut reaction,,,,
the colours have energy so does the contents.

when you fall out of the clear blue sky to the darkness below, you have to be bright, playing the jerk is a magic trick

* charlie, powerful the drums on hold back

[Edited by icydanger]
June 18th, 2005 09:13 PM
Soul Survivor This album is a turd that's been molded into a round shape and left to dry over the course of a year.

Actually, I happen to like 'One Hit' and 'Had It With You'. Hell, I even like 'Fight'.

But the cover looks like it's the soundtrack to "Working Out With Rock Stars: Vol 3".
June 18th, 2005 11:52 PM
glencar That pic Kath posted was the cover of one of my hack Stones books.
June 19th, 2005 02:04 AM
Happy Motherfucker!! Yeah, Keith really has the eye shadow caked on pretty heavy on the cover shot, but looks cool anyway.
June 19th, 2005 04:14 PM
CraigP Dirty Work is better than Steel Wheels. S/W was all glossed up and not together.
Despite having some shit like "Back to Zero" on it, there were some ok rockers on D/W such as, "Fight" (love that one), "One Hit"(eh,ok.) "Hold Back"(I like that one) "Had it with you" (good song, loved it at first but I've listened to it too much).
I like how the guitars are raw and more metallic than their average mid-gain distortion. I wish the Stones took their dabbles with punk and metal a little bit further and stuck with them. That's why I like some of Dirty Work. (Hate the cheezy, one liner back-up singers tho)
[Edited by CraigP]
June 19th, 2005 06:10 PM
Marianne Um, I like the cover of Dirty Work. It think it's one of the better shots of the whole band together.
June 20th, 2005 12:11 AM
Bruno Stone
quote:
Marianne wrote:
Um, I like the cover of Dirty Work. It think it's one of the better shots of the whole band together.

I like it too, I don`t understand this anger about that shot. I`d change the colors, maybe... but even with that 80s look is still cool. Look at Ronnie, the clown... and Mick&Keith perfect with the ``leaders air``.

And I like Charlie aloof in it.

Fuck, look at the Steel Wheels cover, THAT is a real shit!
June 20th, 2005 12:18 AM
Soldatti I don't like the DW cover, you can find two or three better pics from that time like that one with Mick's hand on his eye and Keith laughing.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)