ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...You scratch just like a monkey
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: "New York Doll" film Return to archive
16th June 2006 10:26 AM
FPM C10

Miss Youngblood and I got the film "New York Doll" from Netfix last night. It's worth watching, I think. It's sad and wonderful and unlikely and probably the best rock & roll fim ever made by and about Mormons.

Killer Kane's story is unique in all the annals of rock & roll. The unexpected ending - his death 22 days after the Dolls' triumphant reunion, 2 HOURS after he was diagnosed with leukemia - is both sad and, ultimately, happy. I just hope no one else succumbs to the Curse of the New York Dolls when their new album is released next month.

Whether the new album is great or not, I look forward to seeing them again. We listened to their first album on the way to work this morning. It's still one of the best rock & roll albums ever.
16th June 2006 12:13 PM
MrPleasant A must seen...

probably.

Good rock films?

Methinks that 24 Hour Party People is better than End Of The Century. However, honestly, I have not fully seen Cocksucker Blues; I find it kinda... boring (must have been the booze, probably).

Greatest rock(s) film?: 1.- The Kids Are Alright & Goodfellas.

Absolutely.

2.- Renaldo And Clara
3.- Another State Of Mind
4.- Lovedolls Superstars
5.- Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas
6.- Yellow Submarine (sorry!)
7.- Woodstock
8.- Gimme Shelter
9.- Don't know... 200 Motels? Midnight Cowboy? Fat City? The Lost Weekend?

Stupidest?... (yet, endearing in its own fucked up way)...

http://members.aol.com/SHOCKCIN/rock.html

[Edited by Phil Spector]
[Edited by MrPleasant]
16th June 2006 12:22 PM
Saint Sway The Last Waltz is the greatest rock film. And nothing else is close.

that said, I am picking up NY Doll and Heart of Gold dvds this weekend.

I really enjoyed the recent NY Dolls live DVD. Kane was barely playing. But the rest of the band kicked it hard.

if their live show is any indication, the new cd will rock.
16th June 2006 12:24 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:
The Last Waltz is the greatest rock film. And nothing else is close.

Have not seen it. The Band is good in small doses for me. Besides, Scorsese is kinda overrated (although Goodfellas could share the top prize along with The Kids Are Alright).

Sorry, mate!

[Edited by Paul McCartney]
16th June 2006 12:29 PM
monkey_man Hey FPM is that Junior Brown you have as an avatar?
16th June 2006 01:00 PM
FPM C10 Nope. Carter Stanley. Way cooler than Junior Brown.

Junior Brown would've known that.
16th June 2006 01:14 PM
glencar
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Have not seen it. The Band is good in small doses for me. Besides, Scorsese is kinda overrated (although Goodfellas could share the top prize along with The Kids Are Alright).

Sorry, mate!

[Edited by Paul McCartney]

Gimme Shelter is much better. I own both & like both. GS, hands down.
16th June 2006 03:36 PM
Joey " Gimme Shelter is much better. I own both & like both. GS, hands down."
{TAP-TAP..TESTING...TESTING}

" Blue ...... I am ready for this evening ...... and please remember : I know things. Thank you and God bless!"

16th June 2006 03:37 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
glencar wrote:
Gimme Shelter is much better. I own both & like both. GS, hands down.

Really? Must be the medicine I'm taking, then. Actually, every Stones movie is a strong contender for best rock movie. Menstruation. I meant: Period.
18th June 2006 08:39 AM
mac_daddy i would add "dont look back" to the list...

and maybe even "we jam econo" - that is currently my favorite...

and as for performance-only movies, ladies and gentlemen...the rolling stones is tops in my book.

edited to add:
the movie that mike did about mule and specifically woody is top notch, too - another must-see, and it should be added to the list...
[Edited by mac_daddy]
18th June 2006 04:29 PM
celtic stone Anybody have any recent shows by the NY Dolls on cd????
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)