ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...You scratch just like a monkey
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What does Altamont mean to you Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
16th June 2006 07:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
Altamont wrote:
The guy staring at Mick from the side of the stage is not Sonny Barger. His name is Bob Roberts, the former president of the San Francisco Hells Angels. He was interviewd on VH1 about 3 years ago about Altamont. i got the video of it.

Sonny was definetly at Altamont too though.

I wondered about that, myself. I've seen pix of barger and I dont remember him having short hair or looking like that guy
16th June 2006 07:51 PM
telecaster http://www.youtube.com/w/Sympathy-for-the-Devil-Live-Altamont?v=I8bkBp2SJ7s&search=rolling%20stones

Let's all walk down memory lane
16th June 2006 07:59 PM
Altamont from the VH1 interview

16th June 2006 08:02 PM
Dead_Flowers
I wasn't born until 5 years after this happened so I am definitely not an expert about this. I have only read about it. If I am wrong about something please feel free to correct me.

It reminds me of the end of the "Flower Children"; The Hell's Angels; The Grateful Dead because they were the ones that told the Stones to hire the Hell's Angels; Sympathy for the Devil since that is the song where the Hell's Angels went crazy; Pool sticks and bad acid trips; Jefferson Airplane getting freaked out; Mick getting freaked out; Meredith Hunter getting beat to death.

The day before

Who was this guy?

the crowd

Jefferson Airplane

The Stones

The pool sticks

The Stones

The Audience
16th June 2006 08:04 PM
Dead_Flowers opps, the first picture in not the day before, but before it happened.
16th June 2006 08:54 PM
glencar Bob Roberts was one nasty dude.
16th June 2006 09:31 PM
Some Guy How many people were at Altamont. Dead_Flowers those are cool pictures!
16th June 2006 10:47 PM
Gazza
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
How many people were at Altamont.

or was it 381,244 - cant remember
16th June 2006 10:51 PM
Altamont
quote:
Gazza wrote:

guess it depends on if you're counting dead people or not!
16th June 2006 11:35 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Gazza wrote:

I wondered about that, myself. I've seen pix of barger and I dont remember him having short hair or looking like that guy

_________

I stand corrected! Yes, Sonny was there, but the guy in the short hair was another high-ranking H.A.

And no way Sonny put a gun to Keith - NO FUCKING WAY!

Keith would not put up with that shit on that night...
17th June 2006 08:32 AM
Gazza
quote:
Altamont wrote:

guess it depends on if you're counting dead people or not!

LOL...brilliant response
17th June 2006 09:26 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
Gazza wrote:

So Altamont was a bust?
17th June 2006 01:50 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves
quote:
gimmekeef wrote:

So Altamont was a bust?

No, Jayne Mansfield was a bust!
17th June 2006 02:00 PM
Gazza by that time, Jayne was actually a headless bust!
17th June 2006 02:03 PM
Some Guy I watched the dvd last night. It should have been a lot worse than it was! I can only imagine that the rest room situation was unacceptable.
[Edited by Some Guy]
17th June 2006 03:24 PM
GotToRollMe This is the guy I was talking about. I'm not sure if he was an Angel or not, as the short-haired Angel finally noticed him and threw him off the stage. Mick was lookin' kinda green by this point (and who can blame him).

[Edited by GotToRollMe]
17th June 2006 05:34 PM
Gazza
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
This is the guy I was talking about. I'm not sure if he was an Angel or not, as the short-haired Angel finally noticed him and threw him off the stage. Mick was lookin' kinda green by this point (and who can blame him).

Dont think he was an angel. Either he was having a bad trip or he had a bad case of wind in the bowel.
17th June 2006 09:24 PM
glencar That guy was horrifying to watch. Wasn't sure if he was gonna die right there or not.
17th June 2006 10:15 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
This is the guy I was talking about.

That guy's still around.

He's the one in that Geico commercial who orders the roast duck with the mango salsa.
17th June 2006 10:29 PM
Dead_Flowers
quote:
Left Shoe Shuffle wrote:

That guy's still around.

He's the one in that Geico commercial who orders the roast duck with the mango salsa.

He does bare a striking resemblance!

18th June 2006 02:28 AM
Egbert
quote:
GotToRollMe wrote:
This is the guy I was talking about. I'm not sure if he was an Angel or not, as the short-haired Angel finally noticed him and threw him off the stage. Mick was lookin' kinda green by this point (and who can blame him).

[Edited by GotToRollMe]

Looks like someone took the brown acid...

[Edited by Egbert]
18th June 2006 03:51 AM
Dead_Flowers
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Looks like someone took the brown acid...

[Edited by Egbert]

What does the browmn acid do? Is it stronger than the regular stuff???
18th June 2006 10:39 AM
sssoul >> What does the brown acid do? <<

that's a reference to Woodstock - Chip Monk famously made an announcement there that people should avoid the brown acid because it was bad stuff, caused freakouts, etc.
[Edited by sssoul]
18th June 2006 11:18 AM
GotToRollMe Poor Mick, standing there in his little cape and boots ensemble, surrounded by all those certified loonies. You know the situation is critical when even Keith makes the sign of the cross!
18th June 2006 12:04 PM
Kilroy What is the reason the man was killed, were the Hell's Angels Protecting The Stones Or was it a racist thing black man white girl (Blond Girlfriend)?
I've seen the Movie And I got to give it to the Stones, I've been in a few situations like that, were the crowd takes control of the show. Thank god no one died but I've seen plenty of guys get their asses kicked right in front of the stage during an seemingly approiate ditty. Face it Sex, Drugs, Alcohol and Roocking Roll are a violent mixture. Ain't it great. Sittin in the back and watch em go. The crowd gets all latheredup and spins out of contol, and that what you want. Just don't let get to close to the stage, Roadies, Security, Lead singer, or Guitar player are the first line of defense. Whatever you do don't turn on the house lights and don't stop playing. One more thin you have not seen a fight until you seen a chair fight. Thank to Colonial Beach Reno Club.
[Edited by Kilroy]
18th June 2006 01:03 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
sssoul wrote:
>> What does the brown acid do? <<
that's a reference to Woodstock - Chip Monk famously made an announcement there that people there should avoid the brown acid because it was bad stuff, caused freakouts, etc.

Chip Monck did make an announcement, as did Wavy Gravy, who was a little less discouraging about ingesting, telling those who wanted to experiment to only eat half a tab.
18th June 2006 01:15 PM
BILL PERKS
quote:
sssoul wrote:
>> What does the brown acid do? <<

that's a reference to Woodstock - Chip Monk famously made an announcement there that people there should avoid the brown acid because it was bad stuff, caused freakouts, etc.
[Edited by sssoul]

LARRY FINE ALSO MADE THAT ANNOUNCEMENT THERE.
[Edited by BILL PERKS]
18th June 2006 01:36 PM
Left Shoe Shuffle
quote:
BILL PERKS wrote:
LARRY FINE ALSO MADE THAT ANNOUNCEMENT THERE.

Shame that his announcements never made the movie or soundtrack.
Calling everyone jerkoffs might've been just a bit harsh.
18th June 2006 02:37 PM
CraigP (mick)-"Keith! KEITH!, stop it, stop."
"Who's fighting, what for?
I SAID, NOW, WHO'S FIGHTING AND a-WHAT FOR?!?! "

(keith)- "Look, man, that cat over there, if he doesn't stop it...! we're not gonna play"

(soon to find out by an Angel that a man was aiming a gun at the time.)

From my knowledge of 'behavior at large gatherings', you never threaten the audience, especially an already out of control audience by saying that you're not going to continue playing and leave .5 million of your fans pissed.

That would have caused more than just a FEW beatings. Imagine the riot that would have ensued had they left earlier.

I thank the Hell's Angels for protecting the Stones except for their overall violence toward the fans etc...
18th June 2006 07:11 PM
Highwire Rob I just checked out the last page of this thread, so forgive me if the answer has already been provided.(I'll find it in time.)

Pdog or an other Bay Area locals: What is Altamont speedway today? I mean, is it just a massive upscale housing development?

When I visited my sister in San Rafael, CA a couple of years ago I did a bit of an improvised Rock & Roll tour. But I never got around to finding out about the infamous Altamont site. My sis and her husband weren't sure last time I asked them.

Will I see any memorial of any kind if I ever go to that plot of land? Will I get shot entering a gated community?
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)