ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...You scratch just like a monkey
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What does Altamont mean to you Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
15th June 2006 09:25 AM
GotToRollMe Jagger's shaky rendition of "Under My Thumb" while that scary-looking Angel stands there wringing his hair and saying God-knows-what. And Keith, of course, ballsy fucker that he is.
15th June 2006 09:25 AM
Some Guy
quote:
sssoul wrote:
>> Did the Grateful Dead play? <<

no. they were supposed to, but when they saw what was going on, they backed out.

Was it Jerry Garcias idea to hire the hells angels?
15th June 2006 09:58 AM
sssoul >> Was it Jerry Garcia's idea to hire the hells angels? <<

i don't know if it Jerry's *personal* idea (and again the question of whether they were actually "hired" is disputed by some people who were involved), but apparently it was a routine thing for the Angels to have that sort of front-of-stage role at Dead concerts in those days.

it's obviously futile to speculate whether things would have been cooler or way less cool at Altamont if the Angels had not been given the role they were accustomed to, but it does seem worth bearing in mind that at a free concert there was no way to keep them out anyway, and it might well have been deemed a lot more prudent to give them some recognition in this way.

in any case it seems pretty flaky that the Dead backed out. maybe that's unfair, but it does seem lame to me.
[Edited by sssoul]
15th June 2006 10:47 AM
corgi37 Altamont means fuck all to me.

I was not there.
I was not in the country.
I was not a fan.
I was fucking 6!!!!
15th June 2006 10:55 AM
Jumping Jack Go watch Stones in the Park and you'll see Angels there as well, although their counterparts were much more relaxed.
15th June 2006 10:58 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
Altamont means fuck all to me.

I was not there.
I was not in the country.
I was not a fan.
I was fucking 6!!!!

I was 16.
15th June 2006 11:00 AM
sssoul >> Or with a sense of logic! <<

... what do you mean, FotiniD? the Dead regularly had the Angels in that kind of role at their shows, and the Dead and their people were real integral to setting up Altamont. then on the day of the concert they backed out. pretty screwed-up "logic" ...
15th June 2006 11:16 AM
tumbling dice
I was born in 71,so my only vision is about Gimme Shelter.What a great movie!!It shocks anyone,I was 13 when i saw it for the first time and it was outstanding and itīs still outstanding nowadays.
15th June 2006 11:22 AM
corgi37 The fat naked guy was outstanding too.
15th June 2006 11:49 AM
gimmekeef
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
The fat naked guy was outstanding too.

Or the stupid white hippie chick collecting $ for the Panther Defense Fund..who says...and I quote.."their only negroes you know"....or something similarly disgusting and ridiculous...Best part of the movie is Tina Turner given the mic a BJ...or the early version of Brown Sugar with the different opening tempo....
15th June 2006 12:18 PM
Some Guy Altamont has been getting some airtime on that vh1 show the past couple of nights about drugs.
15th June 2006 12:22 PM
PeerQueer [quote]gimmekeef wrote:

Or the stupid white hippie chick collecting $ for the Panther Defense Fund..who says...and I quote.."their only negroes you know"....or something similarly disgusting

________-

Yes! Typical liberal rubbish! I forgot about that scene.

For me, two things really stand out about Gimme Shelter:

One, utter chaos and ultimately, loss of life. It is a very surreal film, and I find it far more fascinating than that overblown Woodstock film that really paints an utterly happy image of 1960's America and hippydom. (I believe Dylan himself was quoted as saying, "I ain't no hippy man, they got nothin' to say to me...)

Two, Keith Richards utter fearlesness in the face of all the chaos around him. Granted, he was likely coked up good, but his skinny little ass just comes off as fierce - I love that guy. Contrast that to Jagger's bullshit appeal to all love one another in that high and shaky voice of his, and you really see the difference in personality. Keith was, and remains, a true brigand, a devil-may-care that is so endearing in a way that I really can't put into words. And I say this admitting that my attitude would have been far more like Mick's - I would have pissed my pants up on that stage. Scary shit!

Gimme Shelter is among the single most important films to capture the true essence of the late 60's. A masterpiece.
15th June 2006 12:49 PM
glencar Good post. You've grown as a poster. I must watch it again tonight!
15th June 2006 01:41 PM
gorda The word *"alta" means tall in Spanish.

The word "monte" means mountain in Spanish.

So, "Altamont" means Tall Mountai to me!

Ha! Ha! Ha!

:lol:

Come on it's funny! Get it? They dropped the last letter from the name!

*"alta" for feminine
"alto" for masculine
16th June 2006 04:20 AM
sssoul >> the stupid white hippie chick collecting $ for the Panther Defense Fund..who says...and I quote.."their only negroes you know"....or something similarly disgusting <<

... well, she's derisively quoting the attitude of the "Establishment" at that point, not expressing her own views.
16th June 2006 07:50 AM
star star it seems to me that this is the first time jagger might have realised his "mr businessman" destiny, as in his life was worth more than a reckless, cobbled together and rushed concert where he could have been hurt.
it also shows that the musicians were well on the way to polishing there act, and the bootlegs even though they have terrible sound quality, especially MT on sympathy
Also Jagger comes off as annoying with his mockney accent
"Everyone just cool down, is everyone okay. something very funny happens when we start that number"
classic quotes though...
16th June 2006 07:54 AM
BILL PERKS
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
some times i think the whole world has turned into one big Altamont

except there's no band anymore - everyone is running around metaphorically armed with their pool cues tripped out on the music in their heads that no one else can hear

I THINK IT JUST WOKE PEOPLE UP TO THE FACT THAT THIS WORLD IS FUCKED UP AND WE ALL BETTER DEAL WITH IT.
16th June 2006 07:56 AM
BILL PERKS STNLEY BOOTH PUT IT VERY WELL IN HIS BOOK....JAGGER WOULD, FOR REASONS OF SELF PRESERVATION, TURN TOWARD COMEDY.
16th June 2006 08:26 AM
Gazza
quote:
sssoul wrote:
>> the stupid white hippie chick collecting $ for the Panther Defense Fund..who says...and I quote.."their only negroes you know"....or something similarly disgusting <<

... well, she's derisively quoting the attitude of the "Establishment" at that point, not expressing her own views.

correct.
16th June 2006 08:31 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
The fat naked guy was outstanding too.

He was. And wasnt he proud of what he looked like?? Christ

My 'favourite' is the Hells Angel with the short hair standing at the side of the stage, looking Jagger up and down in absolute disgust as he minces his way through (I think) 'Sympathy'. The look of sheer hatred and contempt on the guy's face is something else, its as if he's saying "what the fuck is this? They sent me here to protect THIS faggot?"
16th June 2006 11:19 AM
Joey
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
To me it is Gimme Shelter, great DVD! Was anyone there? Were things more F'ed up then or now?

The END of the 1960's

** Joey begins to shed a tear **

16th June 2006 11:31 AM
Some Guy It looked like traffic was a nightmare.
16th June 2006 11:38 AM
Egbert
quote:
Gazza wrote:
My 'favourite' is the Hells Angel with the short hair standing at the side of the stage, looking Jagger up and down in absolute disgust as he minces his way through (I think) 'Sympathy'. The look of sheer hatred and contempt on the guy's face is something else, its as if he's saying "what the fuck is this? They sent me here to protect THIS faggot?"

Or was he checking Mick out? That particular Angel looks like a bit of a flamer.
16th June 2006 12:25 PM
PeerQueer
quote:
Egbert wrote:

Or was he checking Mick out? That particular Angel looks like a bit of a flamer.

That was Sonny Barger - no flamer! A bad-ass mo-fo that would slit yer throat as much as look at you. He was top dog at that concert - the Oakland chapter leader.

...a very scary man then, though he has mellowed out a lot these days. Age does that to a man...
16th June 2006 12:31 PM
Egbert
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

That was Sonny Barger - no flamer! A bad-ass mo-fo that would slit yer throat as much as look at you. He was top dog at that concert - the Oakland chapter leader.

...a very scary man then, though he has mellowed out a lot these days. Age does that to a man...

That guy was Sonny??? Guess I couldn't have been more off.
16th June 2006 12:38 PM
telecaster
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:

Sonny wrote a book a couple of years ago and said he stuck a pistol in Keiths stomach during the concert and told Keith he was in charge

100% BS
16th June 2006 12:42 PM
pdog Is the character in South Park based on Sonny? Bill, the guy on the right?

[Edited by pdog]
16th June 2006 12:45 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
telecaster wrote:

Sonny wrote a book a couple of years ago and said he stuck a pistol in Keiths stomach during the concert and told Keith he was in charge

100% BS

right you are Tele. definately calling "bullshit" on that tale.
16th June 2006 12:47 PM
MrPleasant When I think about Altamont, I think about tractors, days gone by, mouses, desks and people whispering. There's a shy dark haired young man in there somewhere as well. Also: close doors, bad breath and bars (lots of bars). The place is empty but not so empty.

I'm bored.
16th June 2006 12:49 PM
telecaster
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

right you are Tele. definately calling "bullshit" on that tale.

Sonny lost his voice! He speaks with one of those things they put in your throat after you smoke cigs for 200 yrs

He is in a bad way
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)