ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...You scratch just like a monkey
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: What does Altamont mean to you Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5
14th June 2006 09:43 PM
Some Guy To me it is Gimme Shelter, great DVD! Was anyone there? Were things more F'ed up then or now?
14th June 2006 10:38 PM
Mahatma Kane Jeeves Gas was cheaper in 1969.
And no had ever heard of Bush or Clinton......yet.
14th June 2006 10:53 PM
Dan
quote:
Mahatma Kane Jeeves wrote:
Gas was cheaper in 1969.
And no had ever heard of Bush or Clinton......yet.

George Bush was a congressman from Texas gearing up for another run for the Senate. Even then he was desperately trying to raise his national profile. But you are right, no one had heard of him or fuckwit kids at that time.
14th June 2006 11:07 PM
sirmoonie I like to stab people in the back of the head.

What is Altamont, btw?
14th June 2006 11:17 PM
SweetVirginia
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
To me it is Gimme Shelter, great DVD! Was anyone there? Were things more F'ed up then or now?

I think Chief Moon was there. Maybe he'll
post something about it....

SV
14th June 2006 11:19 PM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Many say Altamont means the end of an era, not to me. To me it means rock, sex, drugs and violence.
[Edited by VoodooChileInWOnderl]
14th June 2006 11:33 PM
Altamont The live debut of Brown Sugar!

14th June 2006 11:39 PM
Some Guy Was Altamont really an answer to Woodstock?
14th June 2006 11:46 PM
Altamont
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Was Altamont really an answer to Woodstock?

Do you mean the intent of it, or the outcome?
14th June 2006 11:52 PM
stonedinaustralia some times i think the whole world has turned into one big Altamont

except there's no band anymore - everyone is running around metaphorically armed with their pool cues tripped out on the music in their heads that no one else can hear
15th June 2006 12:19 AM
PeerQueer My uncle, a much younger man then - and also a lover of the Stones, has told me Altamont was the real version of the late 60's. He says Flower Power was utter bullshit - that San Fran during the 67-71 was a disgusting place full of degenerates. (This actually was the case well into the 70's...)

He once said, "The Rolling Stones represented the real 60's - loud, obnoxious, druggy, sex-starved, angry, dangerous - they were the dark side to most everyone else's utter bullshit."

He admitted that in the late 70's he would often play Street Fighting man before a trial. When I asked him why he laughed, shrugged, and said, "I dunno, just got the juices flowing and seemed appropriate at the time. Your aunt thought it was pretty funny. I did kick some ass though, so it sure didn't hurt."

My uncle is a great man...

(though these days he listens to a lot more Dylan and Sinatra than Stones - which is fine by me. That's some top-shelf cool as well!)
15th June 2006 12:30 AM
glencar As long as he doesn't waste his time listening to Tony Bennett. That muff stinks. I see he's copying Sinatra yet again with a Duets album.
15th June 2006 12:52 AM
Altamont From watching Gimme Shelter, it seems that it was the logical conclusion to a rushed and poorly planned event. That documentary is excellent because it captures all the elements that added up to the brutal conclusion. It shows how certain peoples behavior (or lack there of) can be amplified by drink and drugs and when you throw these groups of people into an environment being policed by lawless thugs, things are gonna get ugly. While the "hippies" were getting loaded and making out in the grass, The Angels were getting loaded and doing what was second nature to them: crackin skulls. I would imagine the Angels had nothing but contempt for the love-in people AND the Stones. The result was inevitable.

[Edited by Altamont]
15th June 2006 02:23 AM
stonedinaustralia and not mention black guys like Meredith Hunter - dressed up like Sly Stone in the middle of the californian desert with a white girl on his arm

it also showed to me what a gutsy (crazy?)guy keith is - mick seemed to be seriously shitting himself while keith at least had the cojones to point straight at one of the Angels stare him down and say "I don't like you,man"
15th June 2006 02:29 AM
RSRTG I would like to get my hands on a complete recording of the Altamont concert.(stones content)
BTW, It took me years before I actually saw the movie and was practically impossible for me to find where I live.
I had read about it and listened to a bootleg of the music from the movie so when I finally came across the movie on video ( some years back now) I couldnt wait to watch it.
It was everything and more to me.
It was the same with Rock and Roll Circus......its strange, it seems I have most things I have craved for to do with the stones now but I will never be satisfied until I see them again in concert, thats something ya cant buy at a shop or on ebay and chuck in yer cupboard full of memorabillia and music.
15th June 2006 02:37 AM
Altamont
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
and not mention black guys like Meredith Hunter - dressed up like Sly Stone in the middle of the californian desert with a white girl on his arm

it also showed to me what a gutsy (crazy?)guy keith is - mick seemed to be seriously shitting himself while keith at least had the cojones to point straight at one of the Angels stare him down and say "I don't like you,man"

True! right after Keith points at the guy and says that on the microphone, another Angel comes up to Keef and says "Hey, there's a guy out there pointing a gun at the stage, man". It's incredible how these series of events happen. In my opinion, the key to a great documentary is being in the right place at the right time with film rollling. this was the case here.

[Edited by Altamont]
15th June 2006 02:49 AM
gorda Maybe someone should do a documentary of the people that were there.

A "Where-are-they-now?" sort of thing.

I would like to hear from the drugged out guy that was "surfing" over the crowd while The Flying Burrito Brothers played. Then, the chick dancing on her knees on stage! They could interview the people. The Angels. And of course, the Stones.
15th June 2006 03:11 AM
pdog It's a city not far from where I live...
The Lords Of Altamont are a very cool band too!
15th June 2006 03:38 AM
FotiniD
quote:
gorda wrote:
Maybe someone should do a documentary of the people that were there.

A "Where-are-they-now?" sort of thing.

Actually, I find that a very good idea Gorda! I'd like to see that too.

What has always puzzled me in the Altamont case, is how on earth the Stones thought that hiring the Angels for security was a good idea. They were a gang for Christ's sakes! Hiring a gang to safeguard a gig?! What were they thinking?

A man died there, right on camera, so that doesn't make me feel too good when I watch it, but considering all, yes, it's one heck of a great rock documentary and it managed to capture all the paranoia, violence, drug haze and vibes of the period.

Voodoo, I do think it's sort of a mark for an end of a period! "It's gonna get cold in the ninety seventies" as Marianne sings, sort of like the dream was over. End of innocense perhaps. Brian was dead, the sixties were over, people suddenly got killed. Those things are never clear black and white and the boundaries are not as well-defined as we may like to picture them in retrospect, but in many ways, the Altamont was as dark and catastrophic as carefree and lighter the earlier years had been.
15th June 2006 04:45 AM
sssoul >> What has always puzzled me in the Altamont case, is how on earth the Stones thought that hiring the Angels for security was a good idea. <<

well, insofar as anyone actually *hired* them (there are differing views on that) i think two things contributed to that:
[1] local people told them it was a good idea to have the Hell's Angels as security; and
[2] just a few months before at another big free concert, they'd had the UK version of the Hell's Angels as security, and it all worked out fine.

so there really wasn't any reason the Stones would anticipate that things would turn so ugly.

Gimme Shelter is a powerful film indeed, but i resent the way the Maysles Brothers made it look as if the Stones stopped playing and fled. staying there and playing the gig was a truly brave and completely Stoned thing to do.
15th June 2006 04:54 AM
Jumacfly Altamont?

a raw version of "Under my Thumb", the fucking Angels and Meredith Hunter.
15th June 2006 05:07 AM
FotiniD
quote:
sssoul wrote:
[1] local people told them it was a good idea to have the Hell's Angels as security; and
[2] just a few months before at another big free concert, they'd had the UK version of the Hell's Angels as security, and it all worked out fine.

Sure, but still it was a very stupid decision in my opinion. How do you expect a gang to run things in an organized manner and actually protect the band and the people? Totally imature imo. The Dead were just lucky it didn't happen with them as well.
15th June 2006 07:07 AM
LadyJane
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
My uncle, a much younger man then - and also a lover of the Stones, has told me Altamont was the real version of the late 60's. He says Flower Power was utter bullshit - that San Fran during the 67-71 was a disgusting place full of degenerates. (This actually was the case well into the 70's...)

He once said, "The Rolling Stones represented the real 60's - loud, obnoxious, druggy, sex-starved, angry, dangerous - they were the dark side to most everyone else's utter bullshit."

FINALLY...an interesting STONES related discussion.

Great points PQ.

Also agree that Keith's arrogance vs Mick's "get me the fuck outta here" attitudes speak volumes for me.
15th June 2006 07:43 AM
sssoul >> Sure, but still it was a very stupid decision in my opinion. How do you expect a gang to run things in an organized manner and actually protect the band and the people? <<

yes, now that we know how it turned out it's pretty obvious it was not a good decision, but the Stones didn't have that advantage. of course if you consider the fact that at a free concert there would be no way to stop the Angels from coming, the reasoning might well have been that it's better to make a sort of truce with them.

i'm not trying to defend the decision, mind you - i just feel it's not especially realistic to say it was the Stones' fault. if the Stones themselves even had anything to do with that decision at all, certainly it was reasonable for them to go along with what the organizers and other local people were telling them was a good idea.

and sure it was "immature". free "let's show we're all one" music festivals were childlike and idealistic and naive by definition. that was the general idea.

there's a site around here somewhere with a pretty non-naive view what happened ... ah here it is - there's a bunch about the film before the guy gets around to the event itself, but: http://www.cameraguild.com/interviews/chat_lighthill/lighthill_shelter.htm
[Edited by sssoul]
15th June 2006 09:05 AM
gimmekeef It was the first sign the boys were thinking about $$$ quite seriously.They were filming the tour and needed a big climax for the movie.Therefore a free concert to hopefully rival Woodstock with them as the main act.Then make the fans freeze in the night waiting for them while Hells Angels beat the shit outta folks.Lovely evening by all accounts.Makes Ticketmaster look rather civilized.If ya watch the film and see em rammed into the helicopter after the show..we're lucky they all didnt crash into SF Bay being overloaded....A total mess..including the shitty performances by every band that played....
15th June 2006 09:11 AM
Some Guy Did the Grateful Dead play?
15th June 2006 09:17 AM
glencar Gimme Shelter? I'm just so glad they included some great musical scenes. The DVD has added scenes.
15th June 2006 09:18 AM
sssoul >> Did the Grateful Dead play? <<

no. they were supposed to, but when they saw what was going on, they backed out.
15th June 2006 09:19 AM
glencar Chickens!
15th June 2006 09:21 AM
FotiniD
quote:
glencar wrote:
Chickens!

Or with a sense of logic!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)