ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...You scratch just like a monkey
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: EMI Annual Report. ABB #6 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
15th June 2006 03:01 PM
jb
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

also the press really hyped this one. The Stones PR machine did an awesome job of paying them off. Still, it did little to help move it off the shelves.

I really cant think of another album by another top artist that was so heavily hyped and cross-promoted that did as poorly as Bang has.

sucks

Very disappointing...but the bottom line, they did not have a hit single to draw any casual fan in.
15th June 2006 10:53 PM
Soldatti I expected more sales from US, the album did well worldwide, its still charted on many european countries.
16th June 2006 04:48 AM
time is on my side I'm one of those one's who say record sales do not determine the worth of an album. It seems in many ways it's just the opposite.

However, having said that, it's good to see ABB doing well in worldwide sales. Double platinum and one of EMI's top sellers. Has ABB gone over the 2.5 milliom mark yet????

Also, ABB achieved gold record status in US and reached a peak of #3 on the charts. While maybe not up to prior sales, it's important to point out that the US market has changed in many ways with the taste in the record buying public getting even worse if that's possible (the influence of shows like American Idol?????)

16th June 2006 10:47 PM
mmdog
It's not so much that Top 40 stations didn't play new tracks much, it's the Rock stations that hurt. Voodoo Lounge and Bridges didn't have a lot of Top 40 play, but the mainstream Rock stations played them a lot. I think Love Is Strong and You Got Me Rocking were 1 and 2 at the same time on the Mainstream Rock Chart. This time around On No Not You Again and Rough Justice barely made the top 25 on that chart. Those two should have been killers on rock stations.
16th June 2006 11:37 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Has ABB gone over the 2.5 milliom mark yet????

Yes.

quote:
It's not so much that Top 40 stations didn't play new tracks much, it's the Rock stations that hurt. Voodoo Lounge and Bridges didn't have a lot of Top 40 play, but the mainstream Rock stations played them a lot. I think Love Is Strong and You Got Me Rocking were 1 and 2 at the same time on the Mainstream Rock Chart. This time around On No Not You Again and Rough Justice barely made the top 25 on that chart. Those two should have been killers on rock stations.

That's one of the most important changes. The Mainstream Rock radio changed a lot around 1999-2000 and it looks like the Modern Rock chart now. RJ barely made the top 25 there and ONNYA only charted for a couple of weeks at the lower part of the chart. Since Tattoo You, the Stones charted at least 3 singles from each new album in the Top 20 of the Mainstream Rock Tracks. ABB was the exception. Rain Fall Down was the best charting ABB single on Billboard's charts peaking at #21 on the Dance Club Play chart in late February.
16th June 2006 11:57 PM
Riffhard
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

That's one of the most important changes. The Mainstream Rock radio changed a lot around 1999-2000 and it looks like the Modern Rock chart now. RJ barely made the top 25 there and ONNYA only charted for a couple of weeks at the lower part of the chart. Since Tattoo You, the Stones charted at least 3 singles from each new album in the Top 20 of the Mainstream Rock Tracks. ABB was the exception. Rain Fall Down was the best charting ABB single on Billboard's charts peaking at #21 on the Dance Club Play chart in late February.

As someone who has been in the radio bussiness for over twenty years I can tell you exactly why this is. It's not that Mainstream Rock radio has changed. The audience has. They have gotten younger. Well not really. The main demographic for mainstream rock is,and always as been,males between the ages of 18-34. This is a young male demo obviously. In 1994 this demo was still very viable for the Stones. If you were 34 in 1994 then you basically grew up during the Stones' laterday glory days. Fast forward 11 years and that same demo never really had Stones as the soundtrack of their lives. The Stones were,and are still,a nostaglia act. Program directors are hesitant to add Stones tracks to an audience that did not grow up on them. This is true of not only the Stones either. Dylan has had an amazing carreer resurection for the last several years yet PDs at Mainstream or Active Rock formats are hesitant to play anything new by Bob. Eagles? Same thing. Thank God!

That's just the nature of the radio bussiness. It's no reflection of the Stones prowess as great writers or performers,but it hurts cd sales no doubt.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]
17th June 2006 12:10 AM
pdog Hasn't Infinity and Clear Channel fucked it up too?
They've killed off the competition and play the bands that are playing in the venues they own...
Add that onto Riffy's comments and things are pretty fucked up.
The success of Sattelite has proven that there's large audiences for what people may call obscure genres and tastes.
If I had the money, i'd buy a radio station and play cool shit. Nobody probably listen, but I'd still do it.
I'm still hoping and praying that what Little Steven is doing with his syndicated show will revolutionize the way mainstram FM radio programmers think.
I look forward to Sunday night 9 PM. It's been years since radio had me doing this. It was The Dr. Demento show, actually , that I used to love to listen too.
Then again, most people like the crap that gets played and sells a Gazillion units. I don't.
17th June 2006 12:10 AM
mmdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

As someone who has been in the radio bussiness for over twenty years I can tell you exactly why this is. It's not that Mainstream Rock radio has changed. The audience has. They have gotten younger. Well not really. The main demographic for mainstream rock is,and always as been,males between the ages of 18-34. This is a young male demo obviously. In 1994 this demo was still very viable for the Stones. If you were 34 in 1994 then you basically grew up during the Stones' laterday glory days. Fast forward 11 years and that same demo never really had Stones as the soundtrack of their lives. The Stones were,and are still,a nostaglia act. Program directors are hesitant to add Stones tracks to an audience that did not grow up on them. This is true of not only the Stones either. Dylan has had an amazing carreer resurection for the last several years yet PDs at Mainstream or Active Rock formats are hesitant to play anything new by Bob. Eagles? Same thing. Thank God!

That's just the nature of the radio bussiness. It's no reflection of the Stones prowess as great writers or performers,but it hurts cd sales no doubt.

Riffy
[Edited by Riffhard]

I think the 8 year gap has a lot to do with that as well. Of course a lot of these stations have no problems playing classic Stones tracks all day.
17th June 2006 12:17 AM
Riffhard True. I meant that PDs are not likely to add "new" Stones. They'll spin JJF,BS,Sympathy,etc. all day long.

Riffy
17th June 2006 12:23 AM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:
True. I meant that PDs are not likely to add "new" Stones. They'll spin JJF,BS,Sympathy,etc. all day long.

Riffy

Ever get so piised you dream of locking yourself in and playing the shit you want to play, then they bust in and take you to the twilight home?
17th June 2006 12:24 AM
Riffhard
quote:
pdog wrote:
Hasn't Infinity and Clear Channel fucked it up too?
They've killed off the competition and play the bands that are playing in the venues they own...
Add that onto Riffy's comments and things are pretty fucked up.
The success of Sattelite has proven that there's large audiences for what people may call obscure genres and tastes.
If I had the money, i'd buy a radio station and play cool shit. Nobody probably listen, but I'd still do it.
I'm still hoping and praying that what Little Steven is doing with his syndicated show will revolutionize the way mainstram FM radio programmers think.
I look forward to Sunday night 9 PM. It's been years since radio had me doing this. It was The Dr. Demento show, actually , that I used to love to listen too.
Then again, most people like the crap that gets played and sells a Gazillion units. I don't.

I'd say that the major conglamorate type companies like Clear Channel and Infinity have done more harm to privatly owned stations than they have to the actual content of rock radio.

By the way the Little Steven show you refer to was lifted directly from my station. True story. My station has a speacialty show every Sunday called The Electric Balroom. Little Steven was one of the first in-studio guests on this show. He was going nuts for the concept,and said right up front that he was going to take much of the formatics of The Electric Ballroom and use it for his new(at the time) Sirrius show. So he was greatly influenced by that show. If you ever heard The Electric Ballroom yopu would pick up on it right away. We consider it an honor.

Riffy

Riffy
17th June 2006 12:32 AM
pdog
quote:
Riffhard wrote:

I'd say that the major conglamorate type companies like Clear Channel and Infinity have done more harm to privatly owned stations than they have to the actual content of rock radio.

By the way the Little Steven show you refer to was lifted directly from my station. True story. My station has a speacialty show every Sunday called The Electric Balroom. Little Steven was one of the first in-studio guests on this show. He was going nuts for the concept,and said right up front that he was going to take much of the formatics of The Electric Ballroom and use it for his new(at the time) Sirrius show. So he was greatly influenced by that show. If you ever heard The Electric Ballroom yopu would pick up on it right away. We consider it an honor.

Riffy

Riffy

Can you get me a job? An Electric Ballroom type spot... LOL!
Could you imagine SS, 2000 Man and Me with our own show. It would be so kick ass, it's quite possible people would actually poop themselves from the noise and guitar onslaught!
17th June 2006 12:35 AM
Soldatti The 8 year gap made the difference, IMO. The music market is way different now, more formats, more artists and young oriented. The rock is not the main force out there today. They don't fit on today's US radio.
17th June 2006 01:23 AM
pdog
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
The 8 year gap made the difference, IMO. The music market is way different now, more formats, more artists and young oriented. The rock is not the main force out there today. They don't fit on today's US radio.

8 years and a rushed effort... Then again Axl's record is taken 15 years and it will suck.
ABB had potential, but, it was too rushed...
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)