ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...You scratch just like a monkey
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Ronnie in rehab Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
13th June 2006 11:33 PM
Zack According to that bastion of outstanding journalism, The Sun.

Stones tour in new crisis

THE ROLLING STONES’ tour has been thrown into crisis again after RONNIE WOOD had to check into an alcohol rehab clinic last night.

The band had already delayed the start of the European leg of their Bigger Bang world tour to allow guitarist KEITH RICHARDS to recover from brain surgery.

Just as things looked sorted and Keith felt well enough to hit the road again, Ronnie has begun treatment for his booze addiction.

The guitarist checked himself into The Priory in Roehampton, South London, yesterday — and not for the first time.

His last visit was in April 2005 when he spent time in the clinic before the Stones kicked off the current tour in America.

He managed to stay off the fags and booze for most of the band’s US dates.

But recently he fell off the wagon and was seen drinking at his 59th birthday party earlier this month.

The mulleted rocker downed loads of booze at London’s trendy club Sketch with wife JO and snooker pal RONNIE O’SULLIVAN.

A pal revealed: “Ronnie has fought a long battle with drink. He managed to keep his boozing down to a minimum while the Stones were playing their American dates at the end of last year.

“The first gig in Boston was the first time he had played sober and without a cigarette for the first time in years.

“But he has started drinking again over the last few weeks and it has got out of control. The stress of worrying about his mate Keith has not helped.”

The Stones have already announced they will restart their tour at Milan’s San Siro stadium on July 11.

They were originally due to kick things off in Barcelona on May 27 at the Olympic Stadium but Keith fell out of a tree while on holiday in Fiji and suffered major head injuries.

He was rushed to hospital in New Zealand and had to have surgery on his brain to relieve a clot. The tour was postponed until he started to recover and rescheduled dates were announced two weeks ago.

Last night a spokesman for Ronnie said: “He needs some rest but he will definitely be fit for the first night of the European tour.”

It has not been a good patch for the Stones.

In June 2004 drummer CHARLIE WATTS was diagnosed with throat cancer. A course of radiotherapy was successful and he was well enough to start the tour last year.

MICK JAGGER is the only surviving original member who has not had any bad luck — apart from the odd scandal with the ladies.

Let’s hope they are all match fit when they hit Britain in August.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2006270412,00.html

13th June 2006 11:48 PM
glencar Terrible news. Get well, Ronnie!
13th June 2006 11:55 PM
kath NAW, IT'S GOOD NEWS!! it means the tour is back on in earnest and mick is whipping ronnie into shape, again!it's incredibly sad that this has to happen before EVERY tour, but at least it's a sign that all things are pointing to "go!"!!!
14th June 2006 01:57 AM
Poplar Let's run through the checklist here:

Charlie's bored ...
Keith's head is assembled ...
Mick is pissed ...
& Ronnie's back in rehab ...

yep - all set to resume tour.

[Edited by Poplar]
14th June 2006 02:37 AM
FotiniD God, I'm sad and worried about Ronnie

Alcoholism is tough. Perhaps tougher than drugs.

But why does the man have to go through the same ordeal EVERY time they're about to start a tour? Isn't he fed up with all this by now? Wouldn't it be, say, easier to quit drinking altogether instead of going through the same vicious circle every couple of years?

It might look like the same old situation to us, but think about it: beating the addiction, then on again. On and off for so many years. All the more evidence that Jo REALLY loves the guy and that his liver is holding up good.

Drop the thing once and for all Ronnie, for crying out loud! Get well for REAL baby this time!
14th June 2006 02:50 AM
Zack "The mulleted rocker downed loads of booze at London’s trendy club Sketch with wife JO and snooker pal RONNIE O’SULLIVAN."

Jo's an enabler.
14th June 2006 03:22 AM
PeerQueer Addiction's a bitch.

And so is the cunt who left with my wallet tonight...
14th June 2006 03:23 AM
ListenToTheLion They should tell Woody: or you give up drinking or we kick you out of the band. Let's see what his decision will be in that case.
14th June 2006 04:24 AM
Altamont
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
Addiction's a bitch.

coke?
14th June 2006 04:38 AM
Gazza for fuck sake, not again

I knew things were amiss when Keith's accident came during a drinking binge...with Ronnie.

I do get the impression though he tends to check in and out of the clinic for 'refresher' spells of rehab, though. Doesnt seem to be effective in the long-term but at least he's getting treatment for it. Get well soon, Ronald.
14th June 2006 04:49 AM
Altamont
quote:
Gazza wrote:
for fuck sake, not again

I knew things were amiss when Keith's accident came during a drinking binge...with Ronnie.

I do get the impression though he tends to check in and out of the clinic for 'refresher' spells of rehab, though. Doesnt seem to be effective in the long-term but at least he's getting treatment for it. Get well soon, Ronald.

This does seem to be a regular thing before the tour starts again though, right? Sad as that may be. And what about the source?
14th June 2006 04:54 AM
stonedinaustralia agreed Gazza...you despair for him at times but then it's his life

i guess its a drag for jo - she must be a saint

you wonder what sort of drunk he gets on...hard to imagine outbursts of violence (but who knows)...maybe the lovable clown dissolves into fits of meloncholia...maybe he does great big joints and goes into a painting frenzy..or fills the house with other drunk people 24/7...

whatever, it's no good for the healthand and as mick rightly notes no good for his guitar playing

as for the cigarettes - well nicotine is the queen biotch of addictions (and the most pointless)

[Edited by stonedinaustralia]
14th June 2006 05:11 AM
FotiniD
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:
agreed Gazza...you despair for him at times but then it's his life

i guess its a drag for jo - she must be a saint

Well dear SIA, I don't think he's got the right to behave this way just because it's his life.

Had he chosen to live alone, isolate himself from all who love him and live in a cave or something, then YES, he would have the right to do whatever he wants.

But since he's got a) a family who cares for him, b) children who need a father, not a teenager, c) a wife who's stood by him so many years and sees all her attempts to help him go to waste, d) a huge band who needs him to play good, e) friends who love him, THEN imo he needs to pull himself together. It's not just his life he's hurting - it's the lives of those he loves and who love him.

Addictions are way too self-centered and selfish ways to live your life, if you ask me.
14th June 2006 05:16 AM
egon This whole tour starts to turn into a circus.
And every circus has a bunch of clowns.

Maybe they should pack it up...
14th June 2006 05:18 AM
FotiniD
quote:
egon wrote:
This whole tour starts to turn into a circus.
And every circus has a bunch of clowns.

Maybe they should pack it up...

Ah, come on Egon, Ronnie checks into rehab before every tour! It has turned into a habit! (Not that it's OK, but it's not exactly anything new...)

And it might be a circus, but hey, it's the best in town
14th June 2006 05:29 AM
egon it's just getting somewhat tiresome
14th June 2006 05:33 AM
lotsajizz
quote:
PeerQueer wrote:
Addiction's a bitch.

was she a loon?

or was it your fault?

or the addiction?

come on, BLAME !!

14th June 2006 05:47 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Addictions are way too self-centered and selfish ways to live your life, if you ask me.

and my dear fotini - boy, i didnt count on getting into an "on board" argument with you of all people so i enter into this as discussion

i agree entirely - but it is still his life and he make his own decisions - for good or ill

i don't believe you or i know the extent or nature of ronnies älcholism and so the various scenarios i put forward above...he maybe the greatest husband (maybe that's why jo sticks with him)and father in the world for all we know - it's just that he's getting drunk all the time and destroying his liver

yes, addictions are selfish ...people are selfish

but what can you do except keep on keeping on

if ronnie was a real fucked up no good alcoholic do you think he'd even be in the band.. i know we all quote the bum notes and stupid waving but it's not like he's ever thrown up on stage (actually,i saw joe cocker do that in 1977 and eric clapton nearly did in '75 (what self control!! - eric, he's so uptight)but i suspect that may have been the heroin

anyway, how many times has Ronnie fallen over on stage is what i mean

hello?? ..fotini??..you still there??

love you baby

14th June 2006 06:08 AM
Jumping Jack It wouldn't be so bad if Keef joined him.
14th June 2006 06:11 AM
FotiniD
quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

and my dear fotini - boy, i didnt count on getting into an "on board" argument with you of all people so i enter into this as discussion

Oh my dear Micky, you got me all wrong! I didn't mean this as an argument at all - never with you! Damn internet, you can't get across what you're saying exactly the way you're saying it

Yes, it is his life, but what I was trying to say is that his decisions do not only affect his own life but also the lives of those around him - that's all the more reason why he should try to change his habits.

I can't be sure of the seriousness of his alcoholism either, or how good or bad he's to live with, but I know he's doing himself a lot of harm with all these years of heavy drinking. They're not indestructible, as we've all come to realise recently with Keith's head and all. I think they themselves should come to realise it as well.

quote:
stonedinaustralia wrote:

hello?? ..fotini??..you still there??

love you baby

Yep, still here, and love you too darling
14th June 2006 06:26 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
FotiniD wrote:

Oh my dear Micky, you got me all wrong! I didn't mean this as an argument at all - never with you!

no my fault...either i'm too sensitive or else i'm getting drunk (face puts hand over mouth)....certainly not too soft

x

14th June 2006 06:55 AM
justforyou Ronnie looks squeaky clean on the excellent Saitama DVD. I don't mind him a bit dirty though. Music, feelings, groove, mental state - it's all got to gel.
14th June 2006 07:15 AM
LadyJane Sad news.

Not surprising.

Be strong Ronald.

LJ.
14th June 2006 07:43 AM
egon i read somewhere that more shows may be posponed due to this..?

(don't panic straight away, cos i read it in the "dutch sun")

14th June 2006 08:01 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Zack wrote:
Jo's an enabler.

You are talking nonsense and apparantly have never ever lived with a drunk like she has, and like I have, for years and years.

Nobody's forcing Ronald to swallow the booze, he's the weak one playing the victim here, no matter how hard it is to kick an addiction, especially alcohol, which I acknowledge is terribly hard for anyone suffering from it. But still, he's the one doing it to himself and he's the one letting his loved ones and himself suffer as a result.
14th June 2006 08:39 AM
luxury1 Hear, Hear, angiegirl! Well said.

I think this is good news--Ronnie always like to clean up a bit before the (re)start of a tour.
14th June 2006 08:49 AM
lotsajizz I think Mick Taylor made the decision that Ron Wood has not....poor Ronnie is a struggling-to-be-dry alcoholic hanging with a party animal whose habits transcend such terms as 'addiction', while Taylor decided he would kill himself with cocaine if he kept hanging around Hoover-like Keith back then. I call him 'Mick the Quitter' but is very possible that quitting saved his life. And not quitting may end Ronnie's.

Or is this too pessimistic?

14th June 2006 08:57 AM
Taptrick
Enabling doesn't mean the person is responsible for the drinker or that the drinker bears no responsibility. It is a part of codependence. I don't know if Jo is an enabler or not but she has clearly let the behavior continue without walking or booting him. We can't know if Jo is an enabler or not but it certainly is possible. Hopefully Ronnie's therapy has involved a family component and this has been addressed. Hopefully Jo has been exposed to Alanon and the kids to Alateen or something similar. Good explanation of enabling:

http://www.inspiredcounseling.com/enabling.asp

14th June 2006 09:01 AM
corgi37 The end is nigh.

Imagine the insurance cost for the next tour?
14th June 2006 09:01 AM
Gimme Shelter WOOD IN REHAB - NOT CONFIRMED

The Rolling Stones star RONNIE WOOD has entered an alcohol rehabilitation clinic in London, putting the band's upcoming European tour in jeopardy once again. The guitarist checked himself into celebrity treatment centre The Priory last night (13JUN06) for the second time in just over a year. He was last treated in April 2005 and succeeded in staying sober for much of the band's recent US tour. However, he was spotted drinking heavily earlier this month (JUN06) at his 59th birthday celebrations. Fans now fear he'll be unable to kick off tour dates in Spain on 11 July (06), despite reassurances from the rocker's spokesman. He says, "Ronnie needs some rest but he will definitely be fit for the first night of the European tour." The A Bigger Bang tour has already been delayed by two months after KEITH RICHARDS fell out of a tree while on holiday in Fiji in April (06) and suffered head injuries.
14/06/2006 02:18

Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)