ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

This is the trivia's third prize - lick the image to read all about it!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Mick Jagger interview in Berlin Return to archive
06-15-03 01:57 PM
CS

Translated with Babel Fish (see the bottom for the original German version)

He is a businessman. He is family father. He celebrates in July its 60. Birthday. And for 40 years is Mick Jagger of the singers of the Rolling Stones. This evening the serve-oldest volume, which gives it in the history skirt ' n ' roll, in the citizen of Berlin olympia stadium arises.

Berlin morning mail: Mr. Jagger, if you had the possibility of traveling with a time machine into the past which you would want to change?

Mick Jagger: Everything naturally. And thus I would hit completely different way. But one cannot be fate check in such a way, how one became it perhaps gladly. If one is young, it is many more difficult to become generally accepted because certain people have more control of one. Today that is many simpler. When we began, there were not these template-like samples yet. And also no such a enormous music industry. Was missing a draft for what we tackled. Nobody went on tour. There were only this small, nice Shows. Really much was also not paid to the artists for its photographs. These things at that time nearly did not exist.

Sometimes do you think about it, where you would sit, if you had not become Rolling Stone?

What would be, if Napoleon Russia had conquered? It is interesting, if one reads these books up to its logical end. But an easy is to be said: It would have been beautiful, if I had become director, dancer or an accountant. One does not know the answer simply.

Where can humans still develop like you, if one already had all success?

One must guard to only repeat everything. No matter whether one is now writer, journalist or a painter. Particularly in the skirt Business it happens rather closely. It is very heavy to maintain and try something interesting nevertheless, develops itself further.

Do you believe that the young musicians from today possess the same chances as once the Stones or the Beatles?

I think already. Skirt music in volume to make was completely new in the early sixties. But that is now 40 years ago. How are many generations that? Two? Three? The form of the music became evenly older. Today it is more difficult to land such a large throw like we at that time.

Which relationship does the Rolling Stones have to Germany?

Or Germany to the Stones? I have ' no notion. We come for 38 years to Germany. We were always a part of the international Popmusik announced in Germany. Whereupon I am very proud. We played there a quantity of Shows. And Germany always gives a certain feeling to the proximity.

In and the seventies sixties the Shows was not yet so much plugged with light effects, video canvases and pyrotechnics fully. Does one need that nowadays?

It depends on at which for a place one arises. In the early Sechzigern we played in small halls. If we play today in small Lokalitaeten like the Circus crown, there is not yet there all too much pyrotechnics. If we play however in a large stadium, one needs something for the visual effect.

Don't these optical attractions divert the visitor from the substantial one, the music?

That is correct already. But if one goes into a large stadium, then not only because of the music. It is so a kind Allround experience. Like a mixture from soccer game and Musikshow. One would like the experience, which the people to make there, increase still visually. Therefore it needs sometimes more than only the music.

They wrote the song "Highwire" to 1991. It acts of the Gulf War. Did you have the demand in these days again once to write to such a song?

If the spirit propels one in addition, then one writes it simply. If not, then not. Songs are social comments. Over the last Iraq war it did not give so many songs however at all. I do not remember at least. Also over 11 September there were not many songs. Some perhaps. It is amusing, these social comments in the Popmusik is very rare. It is heavy to bring such a thing on the point.

For 40 years there is the Rolling Stones. What will happen in the next 40 years?

I do not have notion. That is now times like that in this business. One does not know, what will happen. I work already to the next Rolling Stones Show. We already make this route since July last yearly.

But this tour was not announced as the last Stones route?

No. Never. That would be also an error. If one changes its opinion later, one looks nevertheless like an idiot. Now I think over the next route. People ask me already whether I am available next summer.

And which you those answer?

Perhaps.

Thus won't the Rolling Stones withdraw itself after this tour?

No, we become definitely not the peace set. We took up to of Paris straight some new songs and produced. In addition, I would like gladly again actors. That is simpler. I do not have to make myself continuous there over all thought. The job comes proverbially to one.

And which role would they like to play?

Comedy. Dark Comedy.

Olympia stadium, today, 19 o'clock

===========================================================

Er ist Gesch�ftsmann. Er ist Familienvater. Er feiert im Juli seinen 60. Geburtstag. Und seit 40 Jahren ist Mick Jagger der S�nger der Rolling Stones. Heute Abend tritt die dienst�lteste Band, die es in der Geschichte des Rock 'n' Roll gibt, im Berliner Olympiastadion auf.

Berliner Morgenpost: Mr. Jagger, wenn Sie die M�glichkeit h�tten, mit einer Zeitmaschine in die Vergangenheit zu reisen, was w�rden Sie �ndern wollen?

Mick Jagger: Alles nat�rlich. Und dadurch w�rde ich einen komplett anderen Weg einschlagen. Aber man kann sein Schicksal nicht so kontrollieren, wie man es vielleicht gerne w�rde. Wenn man jung ist, ist es viel schwieriger, sich durchzusetzen, weil gewisse Leute mehr Kontrolle �ber einen haben. Heute ist das viel einfacher. Als wir angefangen haben, gab es diese schablonenartigen Muster noch nicht. Und auch keine derart gewaltige Musikindustrie. Es fehlte ein Entwurf f�r das, was wir in Angriff nahmen. Niemand ging auf Tournee. Es gab nur diese kleinen, netten Shows. Den K�nstlern wurde auch nicht wirklich viel f�r ihre Aufnahmen gezahlt. Diese Dinge existierten damals fast nicht.

Denken Sie manchmal dar�ber nach, wo Sie sitzen w�rden, wenn Sie kein Rolling Stone geworden w�ren?

Was w�re, wenn Napoleon Russland erobert h�tte? Es ist interessant, wenn man diese B�cher bis zu ihrem logischen Ende liest. Aber es ist ein Leichtes zu sagen: Es w�re sch�n gewesen, wenn ich Regisseur, T�nzer oder Buchhalter geworden w�re. Man wei� die Antwort einfach nicht.

Wohin kann sich ein Mensch wie Sie noch entwickeln, wenn man schon allen Erfolg gehabt hat?

Man muss sich davor h�ten, alles nur zu wiederholen. Egal, ob man jetzt Schriftsteller, Journalist oder Maler ist. Besonders im Rock-Business geht es ziemlich eng zu. Es ist sehr schwer, etwas Interessantes beizubehalten und dennoch zu versuchen, sich weiterentwickeln.

Glauben Sie, dass die jungen Musiker von heute die gleichen Chancen besitzen wie einst die Stones oder Beatles?

Ich denke schon. Rockmusik in einer Band zu machen war in den fr�hen sechziger Jahren ganz neu. Aber das ist jetzt 40 Jahre her. Wie viele Generationen sind das? Zwei? Drei? Die Form der Musik ist eben �lter geworden. Heute ist es schwieriger, einen solchen gro�en Wurf zu landen wie wir damals.

Welche Beziehung haben die Rolling Stones zu Deutschland?

Oder Deutschland zu den Stones? Ich hab' keine Ahnung. Wir kommen seit 38 Jahren nach Deutschland. Wir waren schon immer ein Teil der in Deutschland angesagten internationalen Popmusik. Darauf bin ich sehr stolz. Wir spielten dort eine Menge Shows. Und Deutschland gibt einem immer ein gewisses Gef�hl der N�he.

In den sechziger und siebziger Jahren waren die Shows noch nicht so sehr mit Lichteffekten, Videoleinw�nden und Pyrotechnik voll gestopft. Braucht man das heutzutage?

Es kommt darauf an, an was f�r einem Ort man auftritt. In den fr�hen Sechzigern spielten wir in kleinen S�len. Wenn wir heute in kleinen Lokalit�ten wie dem Circus Krone spielen, gibt es da immer noch nicht allzu viel Pyrotechnik. Wenn wir aber in einem gro�en Stadion spielen, braucht man etwas f�r den visuellen Effekt.

Lenken diese optischen Reize den Besucher nicht vom Wesentlichen, der Musik, ab?

Das stimmt schon. Aber wenn man in ein gro�es Stadion geht, dann nicht nur wegen der Musik. Es ist so eine Art Allround-Erfahrung. Wie eine Mischung aus Fu�ballspiel und Musikshow. Man m�chte die Erfahrung, welche die Leute dort machen, noch visuell steigern. Deshalb braucht es manchmal mehr als nur die Musik.

Sie haben 1991 das Lied "Highwire" geschrieben. Es handelt vom Golfkrieg. Hatten Sie in diesen Tagen wieder einmal das Verlangen danach, solch ein Lied zu schreiben?

Wenn der Geist einen dazu antreibt, dann schreibt man es einfach. Wenn nicht, dann nicht. Lieder sind ja soziale Kommentare. �ber den letzten IrakKrieg hat es aber gar nicht so viele Lieder gegeben. Ich erinnere mich zumindest nicht daran. Auch �ber den 11. September gab es nicht viele Lieder. Einige vielleicht. Es ist komisch, diese sozialen Kommentare in der Popmusik sind sehr selten. Es ist schwer, so etwas auf den Punkt zu bringen.

Seit 40 Jahren gibt es die Rolling Stones. Was wird in den n�chsten 40 Jahren geschehen?

Ich habe keine Ahnung. Das ist nun mal so in diesem Gesch�ft. Man wei� nicht, was passieren wird. Ich arbeite bereits an der n�chsten Rolling-Stones-Show. Wir machen diese Tour ja schon seit Juli letzten Jahres.

Aber wurde diese Tournee nicht als die letzte Stones-Tour angek�ndigt?

Nein. Niemals. Das w�re auch ein Fehler. Wenn man seine Meinung sp�ter �ndert, sieht man doch wie ein Idiot aus. Jetzt mache ich mir Gedanken �ber die n�chste Tour. Leute fragen mich schon, ob ich n�chsten Sommer verf�gbar bin.

Und was antworten Sie denen?

Vielleicht.

Also werden sich die Rolling Stones nach dieser Tournee nicht zur�ckziehen?

Nein, wir werden uns definitiv nicht zur Ruhe setzten. Wir haben in Paris gerade einige neue Lieder aufgenommen und produziert. Ich m�chte aber auch gerne wieder schauspielern. Das ist n�mlich einfacher. Ich muss mir da nicht andauernd �ber alles Gedanken machen. Der Job kommt sprichw�rtlich auf einen zu.

Und welche Rolle m�chten sie spielen?

Comedy. Dark Comedy.

Olympiastadion, heute, 19 Uhr

[Edited by CS]
06-15-03 02:16 PM
Monkey Woman Thanks a lot, CS! Cool article. And the funny translation at work again. Skirt-and-roll, my kind of music!
06-15-03 02:29 PM
Angiegirl Thanx CS! I think the paper or journal took the last few questions from the other German interview just before Euro tour leg start, taken when Mick was in Paris. Funny anyway.
I love skirt music.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003