ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

This is the trivia's third prize - lick the image to read all about it!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stones in Oberhausen: Hang the Stones� soundcrew chief on the nearest mast Return to archive
06-14-03 10:52 AM
TT Just back from Oberhausen. We arrived there too late for the Cranberries. But we noticed they got friendly applause for their set.

AC/DC was next. I saw them in 2001 and knew what was going to come. Older Stones fans around me were sceptical first but went nuts later! The sound was perfect: crispy, loud, distorted. Right in your face, no compromise. It was the longest and best set I ever saw by an opener. They used the small stage, were loud, used their guns incl. pyro, and played 1,5 hours! The crowd went nuts all over the place. Best support I�ve ever seen!

I was curious what the Stones would do. Setlist and soundwise.

Sound: The worst, as always in the fields. It�s the 70+. show of this tour. How stupid can the soundcrew be to send Keith and the rest onstage with half of the volume AC/DC used? The guitars weren�t distorted at all, Charlies bassdrum nearly sounded like his snare and toms, and the worst thing: the first 30 minutes I could easily understand what my friend was saying. IT WASN`T LOUD ENOUGH! That is bad because we weren�t in the back of the field, we were standing FRONT OF STAGE. In the end the sound was better, but the guitars still sounded too weak. Even the Telecasters had this soft H�fner sound.

The crowd was enthusiastic, though, so setlistwise it was ok (in the end I got 2 songs I never heard before (Thru and Thru with a fantastic keith, and Rock me baby with the sound brothers Angus and Malcolm). That was pure fun and a really historic moment for me. But again 4 low and soft guitars in the mix (strange hearing Angus play soft on that one and my ears still ringing after hear him playing 2 hous earlier).

Ronnie wasn�t in his best form (I was so hot to hear him rock the house like Munich, but he didn�t yesterday).

Blondie played guitar on several songs onstage. What the fuck? Let him stand there and shake his maracas. That�s all.

They used a Gimme Shelter instrumental electronic bullshit intro for the walk back to the main. Sounded strange and obsolete. Skip it.

Last field for me ever, have two big shows left (Stade de France and AOL-Arena). But having seen them at Olympiahalle: can�t wait for Beercy and Ahoy! And: Olympia and Vredenburg, of course;-)
06-14-03 01:32 PM
nankerphelge Glad to hear AC/DC put on a great show and that they were generally well-received. Did they play anything unusual?

Too bad the Stones sound was bad -- same problem that plagued a lot of the early US shows.

06-14-03 01:36 PM
Moonisup 40 years on the road, and still no decent sound, pretty bad ain't it?
06-14-03 01:58 PM
Angiegirl I start wondering if it's even possible on an open field, to have good sound. It was a mess and indeed not NEARLY loud enough, especially after the ACDC sound. Such a shame as it takes you out of the show.
06-14-03 02:02 PM
Moonisup I understand that, but haven't they learned that? I remember that the sound in the goffert in 1995 was not that bad, actually quite good, I could understand everything, also Landgraaf 1999 was good sound, (exept b-stage)
06-14-03 02:27 PM
TT I DON�T understand. If AC/DC blew the field away why can�t the Stones do that? It�s really easy: control knobs UP!

In N�rnberg 98 I said the same. Later I saw a TV report on people leaving the back of the field: They didn�t catch the music because of all the noise around them!!
06-14-03 05:38 PM
gotdablouse reminds me of the second PacBell show. I had a pretty good spot but the sounds wasn't loud enough, Sheryl Crow's sound was weak too. It was to the point where you're kinda left wandering what you're doing there...feeling a bit stupid.

The indoor show at the Oakland Arena was the complete opposite and "made sense"
06-14-03 07:04 PM
Beastie Bry So what your saying is that AC/DC's show basically kicked the shit out of the Stones show??

06-14-03 07:32 PM
fmk438j IMO even the best stones sound these days would come over 'weak' when heard directly after AC/DC's straight up guitar sound (oh how we pine for the stones to get back to this, but it won't happen).
06-14-03 10:22 PM
lonecrapshooter the sound in Leipzig's field in 1998 blew me away...25-30 rows back it was awesome
06-15-03 07:06 AM
Strange_Stray_Cat
quote:
Angiegirl wrote:
I start wondering if it's even possible on an open field, to have good sound. It was a mess and indeed not NEARLY loud enough, especially after the ACDC sound. Such a shame as it takes you out of the show.

Well it is possible; ACDC sounded great didn't they?
06-15-03 08:01 AM
brussels affair I don't agree about what is being said about the rolling stones sound. I was standing FOS first row in Oberhausen, Keith side. The sound of the Cranberries and ACDC was way too loud. Two days later my ears are still ringing. The security were giving earplugs away to the people standing first row. To my ears the sound of the stones was just perfect. They ruled! ACDC was O.K. but I would't want to follow them concert after concert, like I would follow the stones. It would bore me after a few concerts. The stones sound is much more versatile.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003