ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2007

Stade Gerland, Lyon 18th June 2007
© Jeep!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Report: Paul McCartney to enter charts at #1 Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
8th June 2007 10:34 AM
Poison Dart Exile:

McCartney is not getting laughed at by the youth of America at all. The Beatles have a strong following in the younger demographic. Just check the sales demographic numbers.

Sure, maybe those kids @ Starbucks didn't like it, but he + the Beatles have a large core following.
8th June 2007 11:14 PM
Soldatti Macca's is outselling the current total of Rarities (almost 2 years of sales) in just a couple of days.
It's embarrassing for the Stones, they did not get an U.S #1 album in 26 years and counting, all the big bands/acts reached the #1 during the last 10-15 years: Pink floyd twice in 1994-95, Led Zeppelin in 2003, the Beatles 4 times, now Macca solo, Rod Stewart, Elvis, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen...)
9th June 2007 07:42 AM
Poison Dart In all fairness the Stones should have hit #1 twice during that time period.

Both Voodoo Lounge + 40 Licks stalled behind two huge records (The Lion King soundtrack + Elvis's #1 hit's)

The Stones need to put out more new material + work some type of deal like McCartney did w/Starbucks.
[Edited by Poison Dart]
9th June 2007 07:51 AM
Poison Dart The Stones also have to deal with the fact that many people in the US think they are corporate whores who sell tickets to rock shows for $500 crack.

We all know nothing says rock + roll better than a $500 ticket and $40 t-shirts.

Rolling Stones Inc. is hurting the bands image + cd sales.
9th June 2007 08:30 AM
Mel Belli
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
Macca's is outselling the current total of Rarities (almost 2 years of sales) in just a couple of days.
It's embarrassing for the Stones, they did not get an U.S #1 album in 26 years and counting, all the big bands/acts reached the #1 during the last 10-15 years: Pink floyd twice in 1994-95, Led Zeppelin in 2003, the Beatles 4 times, now Macca solo, Rod Stewart, Elvis, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen...)

It's hardly fair to compare "Rarities" to Macca's latest. The more appropriate comparison is ABB and "Chaos and Creation."

This is silly talk. Who gives a crap about a symbolic No. 1? Look at the raw numbers. What's "Modern Times" up to now? Not much, I'd guess. Same with "The Rising." What has it sold? A million? These figures are generally comparable to what the Stones are selling, despite their lack of a literal No. 1. And Poison Dart is right: "Voodoo Lounge" was the Stones' best-selling studio album in the past 25 years. So what if it never notched a No. 1.
9th June 2007 11:49 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

It's hardly fair to compare "Rarities" to Macca's latest. The more appropriate comparison is ABB and "Chaos and Creation."

This is silly talk. Who gives a crap about a symbolic No. 1? Look at the raw numbers. What's "Modern Times" up to now? Not much, I'd guess. Same with "The Rising." What has it sold? A million? These figures are generally comparable to what the Stones are selling, despite their lack of a literal No. 1. And Poison Dart is right: "Voodoo Lounge" was the Stones' best-selling studio album in the past 25 years. So what if it never notched a No. 1.

I think that, sometimes, luck pays.
9th June 2007 01:36 PM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

I think that, sometimes, luck pays.

" Luck is preparation for opportunity " ( Keith John Moon , 1974 )

9th June 2007 01:50 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Joey wrote:

" Luck is preparation for opportunity " ( Keith John Moon , 1974 )

Today I'm in the mood for The Kids Are Alright - not the CD: the movie. I've never seen it but I've heard that it fucking stinks, and that it contains a bunch of really horrible music. But I'm a forgiving person. Maybe I'll like it. What do you think, Mr. Joey?
9th June 2007 02:08 PM
Soldatti
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

Soundscan numbers:
Modern Times: 920,000
The Rising: 2.142,000

A No. 1 album is always a better seller overall, the hype helps to sell.

And about Voodoo Lounge, it's by far their best album of the last 26 years, it did not reach the #1 in U.S but had an impressive 24 week stay in the top 50.
VL also reached #1 in more than 25 countries with steady sales worldwide during all 1994 and 1995.
9th June 2007 04:22 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

Soundscan numbers:
Modern Times: 920,000
The Rising: 2.142,000

A No. 1 album is always a better seller overall, the hype helps to sell.

And about Voodoo Lounge, it's by far their best album of the last 26 years, it did not reach the #1 in U.S but had an impressive 24 week stay in the top 50.
VL also reached #1 in more than 25 countries with steady sales worldwide during all 1994 and 1995.

I agree with that, certainly.

But your next point sort of proves mine: You can still have a very successful album without actually reaching No. 1.
9th June 2007 04:32 PM
BONOISLOVE
quote:
Mel Belli wrote:

You can still have a very successful album without actually reaching No. 1.

Then what would be the point? To make music??
9th June 2007 04:40 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
BONOISLOVE wrote:

Then what would be the point? To make music??

I'll buy that.
10th June 2007 12:35 AM
wasted PAUL McCARTNEY PLAYS SURPRISE LONDON CLUB SHOW

Paul McCartney played to 1,000 lucky fans last night (Thursday, June 7th) at London's Electric Ballroom. According to Britain's New Musical Express, McCartney played a 20-song set, mixing songs from his new album, Memory Almost Full, with Beatles classics, including "Drive My Car," "I'll Follow The Sun," "I've Got A Feeling," "Back In The USSR," and "Hey Jude," among others.

McCartney performed only one Wings number, the 1972 reggae-tinged B-side, "C Moon." An emotional highlight was a solo acoustic version of his 1982 tribute to John Lennon, called "Here Today," which he dedicated to "fallen heroes" Lennon, George Harrison, and his late first wife Linda McCartney.

Throughout the show, McCartney switched off between bass, electric guitar, electric piano, and even mandolin for "Dance Tonight," the lead track from the new album.
Among McCartney's high profile guests were daughters Stella and Mary McCartney, longtime friend David Gilmour of Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck, and actors Pierce Brosnan and Mackenzie Crook, from the BBC version of The Office, who co-stars in McCartney's latest video for the song "Dance Tonight."
McCartney's complete setlist was:

"Drive My Car," "Only Mama Knows," "Dance Tonight," "C Moon," "The Long And Winding Road," "I'll Follow The Sun," "Calico Skies," "That Was Me," "Blackbird," "Here Today," "Back In The USSR," "Nod Your Head," "House Of Wax," "I've Got A Feeling," "Matchbox," "Get Back," "Hey Jude," "Let It Be," "Lady Madonna," and "I Saw Her Standing There."

McCartney is set to perform in New York City on Wednesday night (June 13th), and although no definite venue has been named, fans are speculating that he'll play B.B. King's Blues Club in the heart of Times Square. A Los Angeles date at a still-unknown venue is set for Saturday, June 16th.
In other McCartney news:

McCartney talked to The Los Angeles Times and explained why he decided that his new album, Memory Almost Full, should be his first for the new Hear Music label, rather than EMI Records, his home for the past 45 years. He said that since switching labels, he's been turned on by the constant exchange of ideas, explaining that, "We're working with websites, Internet things, young kids. Just people who are hungry. People who come up with ideas rather than people who've been at it too long and are frightened for their jobs."

He added that with Memory Almost Full, he needed to inject some new life into the promotion end of the album: "I write it, I play it, I record it, and that's all fun. And you go to the record company, and it gets very boring. You sit around in rooms with people, and you're almost falling asleep and they're almost falling asleep."
McCartney also shed light on the departure of the Beatles' longtime right-hand man and Apple Corps managing director Neil Aspinall, explaining that, "He wanted to retire. Simple as that. I've known Neil longer than I've known anyone in the music business, including all the Beatles. Neil was at school with me when we were 11, he was in my class. But he just wanted to retire. He's 65. So he did."
He added that, "So we have a new guy now (Jeff Jones), he's very good. Nobody considers he's going to replace Neil, you know, emotionally, because we grew up with Neil.... But there are new sorts of things, new openings, the online thing is a huge opening, and so it's a new chapter now."
In addition to his new album Memory Almost Full, most of McCartney's solo catalogue, including such albums as Ram, Band On The Run, and Tug Of War, is now available as digital downloads. There has been no official word as to when the Beatles' catalogue will become available online.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

10th June 2007 02:24 PM
Paranoid_Android
quote:
pdog wrote:
Proof once again that the general consumer of John and Jane Q. Public are content with medoiocrity and buying crap products!

Give me a couple Double Redeye Skim Vanilla Soy Latte w/ nutmeg and extra froth and I would buy anything!!!
10th June 2007 05:38 PM
Joey
quote:
MrPleasant wrote:

Today I'm in the mood for The Kids Are Alright - not the CD: the movie. I've never seen it but I've heard that it fucking stinks, and that it contains a bunch of really horrible music. But I'm a forgiving person. Maybe I'll like it. What do you think, Mr. Joey?

' The Kids Are Alright ' movie is OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!

Please see it and then Thank Me Later .
10th June 2007 11:14 PM
glencar
quote:
pdog wrote:
Proof once again that the general consumer of John and Jane Q. Public are content with medoiocrity and buying crap products!

I haven't heard a note from this album but the reviews are all superb. Could Macca have found magic again?
10th June 2007 11:19 PM
glencar WOW, this is CRAP!!!!

11th June 2007 02:47 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
Joey wrote:

' The Kids Are Alright ' movie is OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!

Please see it and then Thank Me Later .

Ywesterday I did this:

I heard that very underrated album, again, Their Satanic Majesties Request, mixed with the single Dandelion, backed with We Love You, and with the entire Let It Bleed.

I literally pissed on my pants. Now I have to get new pants.

Macca: most underrated pop performer on the earth. He farts melodies and people are the lamest because of their boring criticism. Lately he should suck, but I hope that his new album doesn't.

This situation should suck but, somehow, it doesn't.
11th June 2007 03:19 AM
MrPleasant
quote:
glencar wrote:
WOW, this is CRAP!!!!

Macca stole that tune from John Lennon's countermelody, off of "I've Got A Feeling". However, he (Paul) is a fucking genius.
12th June 2007 06:07 PM
Poison Dart It's semi-offical

Paul McCartney has the #1 album in the United States.

McCartney won the top spot by only 237 copies.

1/ Paul McCARTNEY 166,440
2/ T-Pain - 166,203
3/ Rihanna

http://hitsdailydouble.com/news/newsPage.cgi

[Edited by Poison Dart]
12th June 2007 06:14 PM
Saint Sway
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
Paul McCartney has the #1 album in the United States.

McCartney won the top spot by only 237 copies.

1/ Paul McCARTNEY 166,440
2/ T-Pain - 166,203
3/ Rihanna

he beat out T-Pain and Rihannna.

2 artists you can file under "Who The Fuck Are They?"

obviously, not a big week for major record releases.

I'll give Starbucks credit for knowing enough to release during a slow record release period.

obviously, 166K wouldnt of out sold any big name acts
12th June 2007 06:17 PM
Mel Belli
quote:
glencar wrote:
WOW, this is CRAP!!!!

I actually like that song. It's one of the better songs on the album, too. Think the last one was better.
12th June 2007 06:23 PM
Poison Dart Sway:

Your right in a sense, but it's 2007 and a 65 year old Paul McCartney has the #1 album in the United States.

Much respect to Macca.

12th June 2007 06:41 PM
Joey
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:
Sway:

Your right in a sense, but it's 2007 and a 65 year old Paul McCartney has the #1 album in the United States.

Much respect to Macca.

Poison Dart ......................

I would like to nuzzle you !!!!

Jazzy Joekins !
12th June 2007 07:37 PM
Poison Dart Nuzzle away
12th June 2007 09:03 PM
Poison Dart Ooop's McCartney not #1

They somehow counted Canadian sales w/ US sales and have issued an apology.

McCartney just lost the #1 spot.
13th June 2007 02:14 PM
MrPleasant
quote:
Poison Dart wrote:

McCartney just lost the #1 spot.

I didn't know that Heather was a hooker!
13th June 2007 03:24 PM
Joey " I didn't know that Heather was a hooker! "

13th June 2007 03:30 PM
Honky Tonk Man I bought it yesteray and upon first listen I thought it was atrocious. I'll have to give it another ho, but then again, I also bought the Travelling Wilbury's set. It may be a while before Macca gets another go!
14th June 2007 08:54 AM
Ten Thousand Motels #1 .... not bad for a washed up old has been. He's going to need all the cash he can get to keep Heather happy.
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)