ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Charlie's good today
© 1971 London Features International
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Chicago Blues Festival 2005 Return to archive
June 12th, 2005 07:45 PM
polksalad69 Well, I was out of town for the first two nights but got there for the last two days/nights.

Day III (2005-06-11) of the Chicago Blues Festival.

Lurrie Bell on the Front Porch Stage.

Lurrie was a bit disappointing. It must be the meds. When he was living on the street and would show up he could play some of the scarriest blues you've ever heard. The demons must be in check these days. He did all standards for about an hour before he was joined by his father Carey. I heard later Carey was under the weather. Not bad but I was expecting more.

It was over to the Petrillo for Irwin Helfer's boogie woogie piano show. A bit jazzy for me but Irwin can really boogie. He was joined by Katherine Davis who belted some very risque lyrics while her family (including some young children) watched from the stage. Something about dipping you fingers in her sugar bowl.

Up next was Billy Branch and the Sons of Blues. Billy can blow the harp be he does absolutely nothing for me. Maybe it's because he moved to Chicago from California and not Mississppi. Things picked up when former Sunnyland Slim guitarist Steve Freund joined Billy. Steve played a sharp looking Les Paul and immediately picked up the pace. Finally Lurrie Bell joined Billy and Steve. Again, Lurrie seemed to be holding back. A little more energy than his set with the Sons of Blues backing him, but I wanted more. I wanted the shit scared out of me.

Lurrie, Steve, drummer & Billy

Finally, Buddy Guy closed things out. I'll have to gather my thoughts. It wasn't horrible, but Buddy should just play and stop dicking around with all his shucking and jivin.

[Edited by polksalad69]
June 12th, 2005 07:49 PM
PolkSalad Buddy played at least 8 songs and no real medleys but he did break into the "Sunshine for your Love" riff while using the drum stick. Oh yeah, played a few acoustic numbers and then broke into "Going Down." His guitar playing was on and there were glimpses of the magic but he couldn't keep it going, but that was his fault.

He was a bit under the weather and his voice wasn't 100% (all the more reason to shut up and play) but he had to school the crowd that he can play Jimi (he did Voodoo Chile) and let the guitar feedback while he sipped tea. That was pretty cool, he had it going on with the guitar but again, keep playing fool. He did the crowd walk during "Damn Right I Got the Blues" and did a nice version of "Feels Like Rain." Too much shit talking during the songs to keep the momentum going however. Marty Sammon of Otis Rush's band was on keyboards and sounded outstanding. A great sax player too. Buddy fooled with them a few times which didn't seem to distract like all the "shit..." and "shhh, shhhing" he did. Nellie Tiger Travis joined him on an old song from '69 (didn't write it down and can't remember at the moment). She had a nice ghetto fabulous camo outfit on too. Unfortunatley the security wouldn't let you take any pictures. I shot a roll w/my 35 mm from my seat so we'll see how those turn out later.

So yeah, overall it was a disappointment. He's what 68 and he can move like a 28 year old so why the hell not sing and play? You aren't getting any younger Buddy, and that's how you are going to be remembered. He had a chance to turn that around but I guess the "assholes" as Heilman called them who eat his shit up are more important to him than being remembered as playing the blues (which he kept telling us he could do).

Ugh, but heading to the Harlem Ave Lounge in Berwyn after the fest was another story...

[Edited by PolkSalad]
June 12th, 2005 10:51 PM
parmeda I have to agree with you, polk...Buddy could have done much better. I think the best part of the night was when he worked the crowd. He plays much better at his club at his own pace. But...the whole atmosphere at Grant Park made up for the lack of his entertaining. I saw the thugs yanking cameras from some folks, that sucks! They didn't seem to bother anyone that was past the fenced area though...have they not heard of zoom lenses, lmao!

I wasn't able to get there as early as you...so I had to settle on parking my butt waaaaaaaaaaay in the back near the jumbo-tron. I did more 'people watching' than anything...Chicagoans sprawled out on blankets in Grant Park on a balmy evening packed like sardines is entertainment at its best!

My hi-light of the evening was when I went back to the Chess Studio booth and spent some time talking to Marie Dixon (took some pics with her, too)...she's such a lovely soul...and very gracious!
June 13th, 2005 12:23 AM
polksalad69 John Primer at Harlem Ave Lounge Sat night after the fest.

...and you know it!!!
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)