ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Charlie's good today
© 1971 London Features International
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Are The Stones cool? Return to archive Page: 1 2 3
June 9th, 2005 06:25 PM
Some Guy i was talking to my younger nephews about the Stones and they seemed bored. whats up with that?

A buddy of mine was at a pretty swank party and was talking to a record guy about The Stones. He said the new album is very good and puts an exclamation point on their career, It is titled Mission Accomplished. So he says. a take on the W thang!
[Edited by Some Guy]
June 9th, 2005 06:33 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Some Guy wrote:
Are The Stones cool?

Dave Grohl says they're not
June 9th, 2005 06:37 PM
Angiegirl And he's right. The Stones haven't been cool, recorded anything cool or done anything cool for at least 20 years. That doesn't mean I don't still like them of course . Probably depends on your age as well how you describe 'cool'.
June 9th, 2005 06:50 PM
ListenToTheLion Cool? Hahaha please be realistic!
June 9th, 2005 06:53 PM
Some Guy Those nephews and his friends looked at me like I was retarted talking about the Stones.
June 9th, 2005 07:00 PM
Angiegirl Well, only one 'word' pops in my mind as a reaction: DOH!
Sorry man, but, yeah, how can you even be surprised? How can an old band that hasn't done any noteworthy or refreshingly trendy sounding records (compared to modern day sounds, regardless whether you like them or not) sound any bit interesting to the general young kid out there?? Be realistic. There are exceptions, like me, but even 15 years ago I was the only teenager in a 1,300-pupils highschool that liked the Stones. Try regarding it from their point not your own, it'll make sense .

[Edited by Angiegirl]
June 9th, 2005 07:41 PM
wakofako At least 25 if longer.
June 9th, 2005 09:04 PM
glencar They're still cool for the over-40 crowd.
June 9th, 2005 09:20 PM
Jacobesque1 Im 23 and Im the only real fan I know of any of my friends and peers
June 9th, 2005 09:34 PM
Daethgod get it together

the Stones aren't cool...

they are the COOLEST !

June 9th, 2005 09:41 PM
Jair I wouldnt say "cool", but I love them anyway. Cool or not, what's the matter? They are bigger than any cool definition.

Cool, in these days, are Massive Attack, Morcheeba, Brazilian music...
June 9th, 2005 10:17 PM
kath excuuuuse me??????

if this man ain't cool, i dunno what is......
June 9th, 2005 10:23 PM
CraigP In high school this past year there were loads of kids wearing stones shirts. "Cool" kids too. The Stones are very cool. Superhuman in ways.
June 9th, 2005 10:35 PM
Soldatti
quote:
CraigP wrote:
In high school this past year there were loads of kids wearing stones shirts. "Cool" kids too. The Stones are very cool. Superhuman in ways.

The tongue is cool, but many of this kids don't know nothing about the Stones.
June 10th, 2005 05:23 AM
sj Oh that's easy. Anyone that writes a track like "Sympathy For the Devil", "Gimme Shelter", "Midnight Ramber" and the kick int the guts call to take action "Jumpin Jack Flash", and in your face "Street Fighting Man" has gotta be cool!

Sympathy has been a HUGE personal influence. I now wonder who/what my cat considers the devil. Could it be the dog?
June 10th, 2005 06:45 AM
ListenToTheLion
quote:
Soldatti wrote:

The tongue is cool, but many of this kids don't know nothing about the Stones.

Except iluvmickjagger07
June 10th, 2005 07:13 AM
Honky Tonk Man Well, I think you have to bare in mind that everyone perception of "cool" is different. What's cool to one teenager isn't necessarily cool to another. It's the same with any age group.

In my opinion, if you’re young and into today’s current crop of bands, you’re likely to appreciate the Stones. That is what I have come to learn over the years. Though, the admiration does tend to come to a halt around 1972.

If you are young, are you expected to find 60 year old men cool?

Most my age, who I've come across in clubs like the Stones to an extent. They get all excited when Pain It Black comes on, but anything from the last 25 years? No way and I don't expect them to like it either.

I think the Stones are cool. Not Mick or Charlie so much, but to me you can't get much cooler than Keith and Ronnie.

Alex
June 10th, 2005 07:34 AM
Lord Homosex The image of the Rolling Stones is supercool today. They have come full circle once again on the giant cool wheel. It's maybe their 3rd or 4th time around already.
Most kids don't even know who jagger or keith is really. Everybody sort of knows them the same way you know who Kissinger e.g. is. But they don't really know much else. because of corporate radio, which no one really excapes from, most people have heard Satisafction or Start me up. And that is it.
To me they are sypercool because anyone who saw Ladies and Gents knows the first two cuts of Brown Sugar and Bitch have Jagger and Keith putting on the most awesome school of coolness ever lived by a human being.
June 10th, 2005 07:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:

If you are young, are you expected to find 60 year old men cool?

Well, I don't necessarily see why not. I think people and the media place too much significance on generation gaps and all that. Cool is univseral and timeless. It just might take on a different form and expression that's all. But as far as the original question. Sure the Stones are cool. In fact maybe just perhaps the Cool-EST. The Capstone, the Eye in the Pyramid, the Universal Measurement and all that.
June 10th, 2005 08:54 AM
Zeeta Coolest mother fuckers that ever existed man!

Mick is still bangin women like less that half his age - for a 60 year old that is cool!

Dont like their ticket prices that isnt cool at all, however...

June 10th, 2005 09:25 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Zeeta wrote:
Dont like their ticket prices that isnt cool at all, however...

Well ... they don't want to be out-grossed this year by Macca. Being able to demand absolute Top Dollar for a show is a badge of honor. If the Stones went low people would complain that they were selling out their legacy for bowl of pottage. I'm sure Cohl has batteries of computers crunching these numbers, in-putting every possible variable.

June 10th, 2005 09:39 AM
Moonisup I don't see the stones as cool. They where cool in the 70-ies. Not anymore.
[Edited by Moonisup]
June 10th, 2005 09:48 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
I don't see the stones as cool. They where cool in the 70-ies. Not anymore.
[Edited by Moonisup]

What????? "Too much Chuck doth make thee mad"
June 10th, 2005 10:09 AM
blackandblue The persons who think the Stones are cool nowadays are certainly NOT cool
June 10th, 2005 10:14 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
The persons who think the Stones are cool nowadays are certainly NOT cool

I fear for the sanity of the universe.

June 10th, 2005 10:35 AM
Moonisup
quote:
blackandblue wrote:
The persons who think the Stones are cool nowadays are certainly NOT cool

hahahhaha! great post
June 10th, 2005 10:59 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Moonisup wrote:
I don't see the stones as cool. They where cool in the 70-ies. Not anymore.
[Edited by Moonisup]

I don't know about all THAT but I wonder...is having sex with turkeys cool?

If so, Chuck and those other two slack-jawed yokels are the coolest turkeyfuckers in Cobb County!

By the way, the answer to the question is: Of COURSE the Stones are cool.
June 10th, 2005 11:32 AM
Joey
quote:
Lord Homosex wrote:
The image of the Rolling Stones is supercool today. They have come full circle once again on the giant cool wheel. It's maybe their 3rd or 4th time around already.
Most kids don't even know who jagger or keith is really. Everybody sort of knows them the same way you know who Kissinger e.g. is. But they don't really know much else. because of corporate radio, which no one really excapes from, most people have heard Satisafction or Start me up. And that is it.
To me they are sypercool because anyone who saw Ladies and Gents knows the first two cuts of Brown Sugar and Bitch have Jagger and Keith putting on the most awesome school of coolness ever lived by a human being.

You posit some interesting points there Lord Homosex ..

I too have often felt that Mick & Keith are the coolest dudes on the planet .

I also feel that any band whose members are in their mid- sixties and can sell out giant football stadiums / arenas / amphitheates worldwide is the ULTIMATE in coolness and COMMANDS Respect .

Cassie ! ™

[ Edited by Peter Townshend ]
[Edited by Joey]
June 10th, 2005 11:44 AM
texile no.
the last gasp of cool was emotional rescue - THAT'S the last time i remember peers(junior high school kids)thinking the stones were bad-ass - because they still had that bad-boy vibe........
my 14 yr old niece is into all kind of music, from the beatles to the killers and she could care less about the stones...in fact, she's down right condescending.........
she saw an episode of jerry hall's "show" and told me -'it's STUPID' i told her: 'well, they weren't really married...' - lol;
now i have to convince her that jerry hall in no way is a reflection on the stones legacy......HA! yeah right.....too late for that.
June 10th, 2005 11:53 AM
Joey " now i have to convince her that jerry hall in no way is a reflection on the stones legacy......"

I will continue to have benign fasciculations, stomach pain, flank pain, and stress related disorders ( see : rectal irritation..... )

Oh ........ Tee Hee

[ Edited by Joshy ]

[Edited by Joey]
Page: 1 2 3
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)