ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Charlie's good today
© 1971 London Features International
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2003 ] [ FORO EN ESPAÑOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: And the most ugly Stones photocover is... Return to archive Page: 1 2
June 7th, 2005 03:04 AM
ListenToTheLion 1. Undercover
2. Dirty Work
3. No Security
4. Live Licks
5. Bridges to Babylon

no coincidence: all insignificant records.
June 7th, 2005 03:13 AM
zak DIRTY WORK
June 7th, 2005 04:07 AM
Zack Personally, I hate the graffiti toilet Beggars Banquet cover. It's disgusting more than anything and doesn't relate to the music inside one bit. I have fond memories of looking at my older sister's copy of the tasteful white cover with RSVP, although it sure looked a lot like the Beatles' White Album. I think they should have used a pic from the inside cover session for outside.

P.S. Zak, you're walkin' my side of the street, dude. I welcome you to the board, but why don't you get yourself a nice new handle and avatar and re-register.
June 7th, 2005 04:14 AM
Poplar
quote:
ListenToTheLion wrote:
1. Undercover
2. Dirty Work
3. No Security
4. Live Licks
5. Bridges to Babylon

that's about it. IOR&&R ain't great.
June 7th, 2005 04:21 AM
IanBillen -Dirty Work is the most stupid that is for sure.

-No Security album cover was stupid as well.

-Jamming with Edward, (although not a Rolling Stones compilation) is kinda silly.

-I was never a fan of the Emotional Resque album cover much.

Some of My Favs are:
Tattoo You (yeah that's right, you heard me)
Undercover - I thought it was cool and different
Some Girls -need I say more..what a classic
Sticky fingers- another classic
Flash Point- I thought it was uniform and artsy
Between the Buttons-summarized their early look

As for Bridges to Babylon- I thought the cover
fit the album real
well but I think they
could of did better
with the lettering on
it.
Ian

[Edited by IanBillen]
June 7th, 2005 07:33 AM
M.O.W.A.T. Steel Wheels
June 7th, 2005 07:43 AM
Bob Tamp REWIND and SUCKING were nothing to write home about
June 7th, 2005 08:30 AM
Madafaka No Security and Live Licks, the worst covers ever!
June 7th, 2005 08:36 AM
Jair
quote:
Madafaka wrote:
No Security and Live Licks, the worst covers ever!

I'm completely with Mada about it.
June 7th, 2005 08:44 AM
Lord Homosex "No Security" is so bad that it's almost funny again and therefore really not so bad.
The ones I hate all with equal fervor are the late ones. Steel Wheels,Flashpoint, Voodoo, B2B and Four Flix. What is this new obsession with these supposed symbolistic abstract STOOPID covers? I prefer any cover that at least has the balls to take some stance at all. Dirty Work at least had them deciding they were going to hang on a couch in pink clothes. There is an opinion of sorts.
Thgese new covers have all the markings of lukewarm please-everyone milktoast that ultimately says absolutely nothing.
June 7th, 2005 09:33 AM
exile BRIDGES TO BABYLON looked shit
which is surprising as they hired a very talented designer to make the cover and had done some awesome covers for other artists eg.David Byrne. A fucking blue Lion, with a beard...give me a break.

I liked Steel Wheels, Flashpoint, minimalistic

the best would be Tattoo You and Let It Bleed and Sticky fingers.

I didnt even bother to buy No Security as i thought it was a HEAVY METAL album on first glance.

June 7th, 2005 09:43 AM
Stray Cat UK The best recent cover is Stripped

also;

Beggars Banquet (the white one)
The Rolling Stones (1st Decca)
Between the buttons (Brian is visibly fading away)
Goats head soup (front picture only)
Sticky Fingers

sc uk
June 7th, 2005 09:47 AM
Madafaka The worst is Live Licks. Come on guys, is a fuckin' screenshot! I hate it! Ggggrrr! Where is the Art Director? BTW, what's his name?

I think the cover of No Security doesn't represent the common people who go to see a Stones show, in my country or everywhere! Bad choice.
June 7th, 2005 11:22 AM
blackandblue Dirty Work is the worst album the Stones ever made and has the worst cover art ever made. They should destroy all copies which are still around.
June 7th, 2005 11:33 AM
Saint Sway sure Dirty Work cover is attrocious. But this thread proves that pretty much the entire Stones catalog suffers from poor art direction.

Sticky Fingers is the greatest album cover ever. Beggars toilet cover is cool. Ya Yas is genious. And a lot of the 60s band photo covers are great - especially for that time period. Decembers Children & Between The Buttons being my fav of the bunch. Of the post Sticky covers Voodoo & IORR are great.

but after that its all down hill

a lot of really bad covers... Emotional Rescue, Goats Head Soup, Exile, Undercvoer, Dirty Work, Bridges, Still Life, Love You LIve, Steel Wheels... all awful. Even Some Girls is weak. Good concept, just poorly executed.
June 7th, 2005 12:30 PM
KeepRigid Black and Blue is a classic.

Goats Head is also a great cover, simply because it's so ridiculous. You're the greatest rock and roll band in the world, and this is how you present yourselves to the world. Almost Spinal Tap-ish.

Dirty Work is probably the worst, since it always seems to require an explanation when your friends see it. ("THAT'S the Stones?!")
June 7th, 2005 03:13 PM
Cant Catch Me
quote:
Saint Sway wrote:

a lot of really bad covers... Emotional Rescue, Goats Head Soup, Exile, Undercvoer, Dirty Work, Bridges, Still Life, Love You LIve, Steel Wheels... all awful. Even Some Girls is weak. Good concept, just poorly executed.

Awww Man!, I disagree with you on Love You Live and Some Girls.

Concerning Love You Live, who else had as great a contemporary artist as Andy Warhol do an LP cover for them? Visually it's kind of a mess, but that's Warhol's ouvre, and perfect for the Stones. Lot's of Warhol's work is kind of ugly or crassly commercial as a commentary on modern society. And musically, Love You Live is pretty sloppy too, so it's even more appropriate.

And, Some Girls is a classic, especially the original with Elizabeth Taylor and whichever female celebrities that it had. There's the Stones for you again: rude enough that the first cover had to be withdrawn. It's kind of ugly just like Love You Live, but then rock n' roll ain't exactly pretty.
June 7th, 2005 03:25 PM
voodoopug Voodoo Loungs is probably my favorite of teh bunch, up there with Ya Ya's and Let it Bleed
June 7th, 2005 05:23 PM
kath i hated goat's head soup becaue of the title....

i really hate black and blue's cover. hate it to this day.

no security's cover sucks, but it wasn't really an album in my opinion. not a real release.....
June 7th, 2005 06:09 PM
ListenToTheLion goat's head soup is a great cover so is black and blue. Classics.
June 7th, 2005 08:23 PM
exile
quote:
Cant Catch Me wrote:

Awww Man!, I disagree with you on Love You Live and Some Girls.

Concerning Love You Live, who else had as great a contemporary artist as Andy Warhol do an LP cover for them? Visually it's kind of a mess, but that's Warhol's ouvre, and perfect for the Stones. Lot's of Warhol's work is kind of ugly or crassly commercial as a commentary on modern society. And musically, Love You Live is pretty sloppy too, so it's even more appropriate.

I completely agree LOVE YOU LIVE is best album cover under sticky fingers. Always loved that cover
June 7th, 2005 08:42 PM
kath it odd nobody is even mentioning satanic majesties.

while certainly trailblaizing in it's time...it was really silly, they all looked ridiculous..the only cool thing about it was when you wiggled it, they moved.
June 7th, 2005 10:04 PM
corgi37 Dirty Work - easily.

Though i think Live Licks is close.

Thought maybe not a "real" release, Sucking in the 70's is just pathetic.
June 8th, 2005 01:05 PM
GhostofBrianJones Beggars Banquet is the worst I have seen, Nasty and Sickening.
Will check out the rest mentioned.
June 8th, 2005 02:07 PM
Joey

Dirty Work

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
June 8th, 2005 02:59 PM
CraigP My fav. is the Some Girls cover. The origional and the re-make. Satanic Majesties has a strange cover but I love the inner artwork and what it sybolizes and that maze that looks impossible. AMAZING album also... I have a MONO version of Beggar's Banquet on vinyl that has a completely white outer sleeve.
[Edited by CraigP]
June 8th, 2005 11:22 PM
Soldatti 1. No Security (horror)
2. Live Licks (Paint photo)
3. Dirty Work (horrible colours)
4. Emotional Rescue (WTF?)
5. Flashpoint (stupid cover)
June 9th, 2005 01:07 AM
Egbert For me the worst offenders are (in no particular order):

Dirty Work (oof!)
No Security
Voodoo Lounge
Flashpoint
Undercover (get that girl some sun!)
IORR

Bridges To Babylon is OK - much like the music therein has taken some getting used to - but the booklet needs help.

I don't know, looking at Live Licks kinda makes me horny, so that one gets a passing grade.
June 9th, 2005 09:16 PM
glencar Flashpoint & Jump Back. They couldn't be more unimaginative.
June 9th, 2005 10:28 PM
Soldatti
quote:
glencar wrote:
Flashpoint & Jump Back. They couldn't be more unimaginative.

I forgot Jump Back!
What a stupid cover.
Page: 1 2
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)