ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick Jagger in Perú, 1982
Archives: Tomás D'Ornellas, Photo by René Pinedo
From Cucho Peñaloza's book "Los Rolling Stones en Perú"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Rolling Stones vs The Kinks Return to archive
14th June 2004 03:33 PM
Ten Thousand Motels I always had a special place in my heart for the Kinks when I was a kid. The Beatles were on too different of a wavelenghth anyway to compete with the Stones in my heart. But the Kinks always struck a chord. Underrated? I don't know but certainly a class act.
14th June 2004 03:36 PM
jb Saw them at the ols Sunrise Musical theater in 89..very good, but more like the Who....
14th June 2004 03:37 PM
F505 The Kinks are really great but it makes no sense to compare them with the Stones. What else are we gonna get?
The Stones versus Led Zeppelin
The Stones versus Pink Floyd
The Stones versus Queen
The Stones versus Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Stones versus Simon and Garfunkel
The Stones versus Mud
The Stones versus Status Quo
The Stones versus The Beach Boys
The Stones versus The Bay City Rollers

et cetera
14th June 2004 03:42 PM
jb
quote:
F505 wrote:
The Kinks are really great but it makes no sense to compare them with the Stones. What else are we gonna get?
The Stones versus Led Zeppelin
The Stones versus Pink Floyd
The Stones versus Queen
The Stones versus Gerry and the Pacemakers
The Stones versus Simon and Garfunkel
The Stones versus Mud
The Stones versus Status Quo
The Stones versus The Beach Boys
The Stones versus The Bay City Rollers

et cetera

Sadly, most people prefer all those bands to the Stones.....We here at the board think the Stones are the best, but the reality is other than you people, no one I know likes them...
14th June 2004 03:48 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
F505 wrote:
The Kinks are really great but it makes no sense to compare them with the Stones. What else are we gonna get?

The Archies??? I realize there aren't many bands that reach that level but there ARE a few.
14th June 2004 03:49 PM
F505 JB you're right: at my office nobody likes them: they are ridiculed. People rather go to Belle and Sebastian these days...
14th June 2004 03:51 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
jb wrote:
Sadly, most people prefer all those bands to the Stones.....We here at the board think the Stones are the best, but the reality is other than you people, no one I know likes them...

I suppose everyone on this board "prefers" the Stones. But what the fuck, if the only new music out there was Stones stuff the silence would kill you.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
14th June 2004 03:54 PM
F505
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

The Archies??? I realize there aren't many bands that reach that level but there ARE a few.

Who are the Archies???
14th June 2004 03:58 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
F505 wrote:
Who are the Archies???

(With all due respect, I learned this little bit of trivia on THIS board.) And it's true, the Archies are the band that knocked Honky Tonk Women off the top of the charts in 1969, with Sugar,Sugar
14th June 2004 04:15 PM
Gazza They were a cartoon group. Literally!
14th June 2004 04:22 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Gazza wrote:
They were a cartoon group. Literally!

Yeah they were. The other song of their's that I remember is "Rock n Roll music, make ya feel allright, Rock n roll music make ya dance all night" Jughead sung lead on that one.
14th June 2004 04:24 PM
Joey
quote:
jb wrote:
Saw them at the ols Sunrise Musical theater in 89..very good, but more like the Who....

Pete Townshend has stated in numerous articles that he has always considered Ray Davies to be a better writer than himself ......................................

Pete Townshend also has stated in numerous articles that Danny Sugarman ( the manager of THE DOORS ) was NOT his boyfriend in the late 1960's .

W- W- W- W- W- What ?!?!?! Oh , .............sure :

http://www.expage.com/crtheday

Stercee Jercee !

[Edited by Joey]
14th June 2004 05:41 PM
jpenn11 I like Wilson Picket's version of Sugar Sugar.

Now for the questions:

When the Archie's Sugar Sugar knocked HTW off the charts, were they including in the count for Sugar Sugar the version that was imprinted on the back of cereal boxes? That's a lot of records.

Getting back to the Kinks:

-has Ray ever commented on the similarities between David Watts and Let's Spend the Night Together or the riff in Superman vs. the riff in JJF?
-has MJ or KR ever commented on the Kinks' influence on Between the Buttons?

I think I've read on some forum that MJ claimed they don't do MLH because of its strong Kinks influence. Perhaps one of you has the quote.
[Edited by jpenn11]
14th June 2004 05:48 PM
jpenn11
quote:
Joey wrote:
Pete Townshend also has stated in numerous articles that Danny Sugarman ( the manager of THE DOORS ) was NOT his boyfriend in the late 1960's .

Left out the Doors: didn't the Kinks pursue the Doors for the similarity between "Hello, I Love You" and "All Day and All of the Night"?
14th June 2004 06:21 PM
Gimme Shelter I'll be seeing Dave Davies on July 24th.
15th June 2004 12:27 AM
Zack The Kinks were great. It is certainly appropriate to compare them with the Stones. The Stones did the Kinks better than the Kinks did the Stones, however.

The drum pattern and vibe of David Watts is directly influenced by LSTNT. But listen to Party Line from Face to Face (1966) and then Connection (1967), and you hear it goes both ways.

It's not Superman but Catch Me Now I'm Falling that directly appropriates the JJF riff. That one is a "wink wink" type of joke. It's among my least favorite Kinks songs.
15th June 2004 12:43 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl One common thing between both bands (back to the original subject) is Nicky Hopkins, as he played with both bands

Not just that; Ray Davies wrote a song dedicated to Nicky, it is "Session Man" in his album "Face to Face" (1966) and he also wrote a song for a Nicky Hopkins' second single "Mister Pleasant" (1967)

15th June 2004 02:50 AM
UGot2Rollme I think the Kinks are one of the most under-rated bands to come out of the UK - I really like their 70's stuff and still listen to them quite a bit -

Misfits
Jukebox Heroes
Low Budget

would be nice if they would tour again
15th June 2004 03:03 AM
Diedre "Between the Buttons" was hugely influenced by the Kinks, I agree. Mick had a tendency to emulate the acts of the day (Kinks, Beatles, Dylan, etc.) People say he was trendy later on, doing disco and so forth, but it was always so.

There's a little bit about the Stones in Dave Davies' book, "Kink." He particularly admired Brian Jones, and Brian also admired him. In more ways than one. But they never did anything about it, according to Dave. Dave was quite the wild man (father of 9), and he puts on a pretty good show even now. But he really needs to reunite with his brother.
15th June 2004 02:26 PM
MrPleasant The Stones are hedonists; The Kinks were humanists.

Both sides are perfectly compatible, and both hold an incredible soft spot in my heart for some of the best music I've heard. Period.

Should I vote for "Miss you" or for "God's children"? Never in my life. Both rule.

15th June 2004 02:32 PM
jb Thanks Vodoo..
15th June 2004 02:35 PM
Joey Thanks Vodoo ( sic )....
16th June 2004 11:12 AM
The_Worst
quote:
Zack wrote:

It's not Superman but Catch Me Now I'm Falling that directly appropriates the JJF riff. That one is a "wink wink" type of joke. It's among my least favorite Kinks songs.

Have the Kinks or the Stones ever discussed the rip off of the riff? It is SO obvious that it had to be done on purpose...

The Kinks have some great songs and I've been listening to them alot lately...Some of their lyrics are funny as hell too!! How can you listen to songs like "Lola", "Apeman", "Death of a Clown" & "When I Turn Out The Living Room Light" and not laugh your ass off!!!

The Sopranos love the Kinks too....Did anybody see the use of "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" a few weeks ago...I thought that was great!!!