ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick Jagger in Perú, 1982
Archives: Tomás D'Ornellas, Photo by René Pinedo
From Cucho Peñaloza's book "Los Rolling Stones en Perú"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: The Stones and Coke Return to archive
14th June 2004 09:36 AM
Some Guy Well that drug image is blown...
YCAGWYW is used to sell the new coke product. I have mixed feelings right now. I've seen the commercial a few times on tv since last night.
14th June 2004 09:45 AM
mickmask Should be on your Yahoo homepage today (free video clip).
Personally, I like it. Stones and Coke.... both timeless classics. mm.
14th June 2004 10:05 AM
Snappy McJack Well, doesn't Allen Klein own YCAGWYW? I guess he can do whatever he wants with it, but I'm sure Mick and Keith are "gently" raising their fists in the air over this one. I mean, they get money out of it, too.

14th June 2004 10:07 AM
LadyJane I don't like it...at all.

LJ.
14th June 2004 08:21 PM
mac_daddy I don't like it either (in fact I didnt like much of what I saw on TV last night - beginning with Kid Rock, and ending with shaq's press conference. yikes!)...

the fact that it is for some low-carb version of coke makes it that much worse...

another chapter in klein's revenge book!!!
14th June 2004 08:28 PM
Snappy McJack What is it with this "low carb" craze?

JUST EAT (or DRINK) LESS OF IT! It is totally unnecessary for them to do this, but they are milking this "phenomenon" and trying to make a buck off of this crap.

It's just like the "low fat" crap. People just need to eat less of it, that's it, if they want to be "low fat".
15th June 2004 01:27 AM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Snappy McJack wrote:
Well, doesn't Allen Klein own YCAGWYW? I guess he can do whatever he wants with it, but I'm sure Mick and Keith are "gently" raising their fists in the air over this one. I mean, they get money out of it, too.

actually snappy i don' think they do

as you point out yourself Klein owns the rights to the song

on second thoughts, i know klein has the publishing rights but he may not own the rights to the performance royalties but if i was a betting man (and i am) i'd say klein has it all stitched up

anyone out there know any more on this??
15th June 2004 04:16 AM
beer SIA, i would like you to know that i am quickly approaching 1000 posts. I feel this is a milestone in absurdity. i salute you, my friend.

Stones content: Brian played the lead line in "The Last Time", amazing, huh?

15th June 2004 07:12 AM
Monkey Woman SIA, you are right about Klein, he owns the publishing rights to the Stones '60s catalog, but Mick & Keith still have their songwriting credits and the other Stones the performance credits.
That means that Klein can decide wether to allow Coca Cola or any company to use the songs in commercials, but the Jagger/Richards team get royalties for that. If they use an actual Stones recording (like the one from the single or the album or a live album), the other Stones also get something for the playing but a lot less. The music publisher and the songwriters get the lion's share.
15th June 2004 03:29 PM
Saint Sway I dont care who signed off on this. It sucks.

anyway you try and spin it its still lame.

they dont need the money. And they dont need their image tarnished anymore as being greedy fucks who sell out

its time for them to cool it with selling out their songs

if they want to ring in some big sponsors for their tours then fine. But I dont need to ever hear another one of my favorite Stones songs being used to hock soda pop or any other crap

enough!
15th June 2004 03:34 PM
Some Guy I also am starting to dislike it now.
15th June 2004 05:32 PM
Snappy McJack I'm not sure why people are surprised by this.

Do you think these guys would even be doing anything remotely together if they weren't offered boatloads of cash?

I doubt it.

15th June 2004 07:19 PM
mac_daddy agreed (st sway and sg), but I dont think the band can do anything about it, as Mr Klein holds the rights to all tunes published before exile...

15th June 2004 07:37 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:
SIA, you are right about Klein, he owns the publishing rights to the Stones '60s catalog, but Mick & Keith still have their songwriting credits and the other Stones the performance credits.

well MW i stand to be corrected but i understood that publishing and songwriting are the same thing

that is mick and keith don't own the rights to their own songs pre - exile - sure they get "credit" for writing the songs but no $$$$

and beer i salute you and your absurdity - cheers
15th June 2004 10:26 PM
glencar It's a poorly done ad. There was another ad that used YCAGWYW a couple of years ago (Motorola?) that was beautifully done. This Coke2 ad is pedestrian.
15th June 2004 10:32 PM
Egbert This isn't the first time the Stones have been affiliated with Coke...

(referring to the pic of Keith leaning up against a drinking fountain in '72)
15th June 2004 10:33 PM
glencar You're not AKA "egbert souse" elsewhere by any chance, are you?
15th June 2004 10:50 PM
mac_daddy
quote:
Egbert wrote:
This isn't the first time the Stones have been affiliated with Coke...

(referring to the pic of Keith leaning up against a drinking fountain in '72)

15th June 2004 10:53 PM
Egbert "You're not AKA "egbert souse" elsewhere by any chance, are you?"

No, but I am frequently soused.

Thanks for the pic mac daddy
[Edited by Egbert]
15th June 2004 10:55 PM
glencar LOL
16th June 2004 01:16 AM
MarthaMyDear ROTFLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang... I think I may have been missing some good ones (?!?!?!)... lol............ TOO FUNNY!!! LOL!!!!!! PEACE!!! ROCK ON!!!

*** Martha ***
16th June 2004 11:24 AM
Some Guy I heard YCAGWYW on the radio today and wanted a coca cola.