ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick Jagger in Perú, 1982
Archives: Tomás D'Ornellas, Photo by René Pinedo
From Cucho Peñaloza's book "Los Rolling Stones en Perú"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Happy Belated Birthday Howlin' Wolf Return to archive
11th June 2004 11:38 AM
FPM C10 I posted this over <----- there yesterday, but figured SOMEONE over here would snap out of their grief over the untimely death of Ronald Reagan long enough to post it here (why do the good always die so young? WHY??)

Anyway, yesterday was Howlin' Wolf's birthday. He would've been 94.

Second only to the great Muddy Waters in the pantheon of blues gods 'n' goddesses, Chester Burnett was one of the Stones' biggest early influences. It's great to see their youthful excitement when he appeared on Shindig with them - Brian's so worked up he looks like he has to pee!!

11th June 2004 11:53 AM
Ten Thousand Motels Smoke Stack Lightning! one of my favorite songs.

11th June 2004 11:56 AM
stewed & Keefed One of my favorite blues artist
11th June 2004 12:18 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I posted this over <----- there yesterday, but figured SOMEONE over here would snap out of their grief over the untimely death of Ronald Reagan long enough to post it here (why do the good always die so young? WHY??)

Anyway, yesterday was Howlin' Wolf's birthday. He would've been 94.

Fleebit what's more grieving is that you seem incapable of making one single post without including some angle of your poison politics, and it's ashame, cuz you ruined your own attempt to pay tribute to the B-day of the late, great 'Wolf.
11th June 2004 12:19 PM
jb Happy Birthday Howlin Wolf.
11th June 2004 12:42 PM
Nasty Habits Now looky here! I never said I was a millionaire! But I said I have spent more money than a millionaire! 'Cause if I had kept all of the money I had already spent,I'd would have been a millionaire a long time ago.

And women? Great Googly Moogly!

Play that violin until it smokes!

This world was lucky to see him born!
11th June 2004 01:04 PM
T&A I highly recommend the American Folks Blues Festival DVD that contains 3 Wolf performances with Hubert Sumlin and company. There's precious little footage of the Chicago blues giants - and Wolf footage is among the rarest. These performances - done live in a mocked-up studio (sans audience) show Wolf in all his full-bodied glory. Your jaw will drop, guaranteed....

There are two volumes of these DVDs - Wolf is only on one of them. I recommend both - Muddy is on the other one (but it is the tamest Muddy you'll ever see...disappointing).
11th June 2004 08:52 PM
Gazza >Second only to the great Muddy Waters in the pantheon of blues gods 'n' goddesses

In my humble opinion, he's the greatest of all of those guys
12th June 2004 04:23 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl

12th June 2004 11:58 AM
T&A Cool pic - must be from the London sessions - didn't know Mick was there, too.
12th June 2004 12:50 PM
Water Dragon From: 'Rolling with the Stones' by Bill Wyman:

"Brian Jones was watching me and then came up and tapped me and said, "Excuse me, who is the old man that Wolf thinks is so special? Wolf is in awe of him." And so I said, "That's Son House". And he turned to me and said, "Ah, the one that taught Robert Johnson"."
Dick Waterman, manager of Son House

13th June 2004 08:34 AM
JaggaRichards
quote:
T&A wrote:
I highly recommend the American Folks Blues Festival DVD that contains 3 Wolf performances with Hubert Sumlin and company. There's precious little footage of the Chicago blues giants - and Wolf footage is among the rarest. These performances - done live in a mocked-up studio (sans audience) show Wolf in all his full-bodied glory. Your jaw will drop, guaranteed....

There are two volumes of these DVDs - Wolf is only on one of them. I recommend both - Muddy is on the other one (but it is the tamest Muddy you'll ever see...disappointing).

I couldn't agree more!! this is great stuff!!
Has to be seen to be believed. Thank God they filmed this stuff-I hope they can get a Vol 3 out!!
14th June 2004 03:23 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Gazza wrote:
>Second only to the great Muddy Waters in the pantheon of blues gods 'n' goddesses

In my humble opinion, he's the greatest of all of those guys

Tonight I'm inclined to agree with you - I just saw the Howlin' For Hubert Revue with Hubert Sumlin, Levon Helm and David Johanson. Jimmy Vivino on guitar, and Tab Benoit sat in on guitar for most of the set too. Nothing but Howlin' Wolf songs. It was AMAZING. Here's the setlist:

Shake For Me

Built For Comfort

Hidden Charms

Little Red Rooster

Evil (Is Going On) (This was absolutely incredible!)

Backdoor Man

Ain't Superstitious

Smokestack Lightning / Spoonful medley

300 Lbs of Joy (this was hilarious because Johanson is built EXACTLY like Mick - he looks like he weighs 80 lbs)

Goin' Down Slow

Killing Floor

I personally started shouting down the festival organizer who came on to say their set was done, and soon everyone was screaming "MORE! MORE! MORE!" while the band, especially Hubert and Levon, grinned from ear to ear. Johanson came back onstage smoking a cigarette and they gave us one more -

Crawlin' King Snake.

It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Johanson can't quite howl like the Wolf, of course, but he puts the songs across and he's incredibly entertaining. (His performance put this show over the top for me, past expectations which were already high.) Levon Helm is a king among men behind the drums, funky and rock solid, and the three guitars locked up like clockwork - talk about WEAVING!

If this ensemble crosses the pond, Gazza, I highly recommend you see them - it's the closest thing to a Howlin' Wolf show you can get these days!
14th June 2004 07:37 AM
Gazza Hubert played in the UK last November. He appeared at Belfast's Queen's University Festival and the first I knew about it was on reading a review in the paper the next day. As not only is he a blues legend, he's also a good friend of ~AZQB's which made me even more pissed off at missing him.