ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Mick Jagger in Perú, 1982
Archives: Tomás D'Ornellas, Photo by René Pinedo
From Cucho Peñaloza's book "Los Rolling Stones en Perú"

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: RIP Ronnie Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6
11th June 2004 11:17 AM
FPM C10
quote:
Truth and Beauty wrote:

at least he tried and did something with his life.

what have you done with yours?

who gives a rat's ass?

I made a sculpture of Alexander The Great out of my mashed potatoes once when I was 10. But then I ate it. Does that still count?

11th June 2004 11:29 AM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
who gives a rat's ass?

Speaking of Rats, wasn't Reagan some kind of informer back in the 50's?
11th June 2004 11:39 AM
glencar Very touching ceremony on TV right now.
11th June 2004 12:03 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
FPM C10 wrote:
I made a sculpture of Alexander The Great out of my mashed potatoes once when I was 10. But then I ate it. Does that still count?

So the evil, fascist, Nazi - totalitarians made ya eat all your veggies too ?

They're so evil !!!

11th June 2004 12:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
So the evil, fascist, Nazi - totalitarians made ya eat all your veggies too ?

Are talking about the "food pyramid"?
11th June 2004 12:18 PM
jb
11th June 2004 12:33 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:
Are talking about the "food pyramid"?

Maybe the Peanut Monkey ate a banana out of his butt, but my guess would be he did this by his own hand.
[Edited by Bloozehound]
11th June 2004 12:40 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
Maybe the monkey ate a banana out of his butt, but my guess would be he did this by his own hand.

So some people didn't like Reagan. I didn't either after I read his series of "Executive Orders". Gorby taught him well.
11th June 2004 12:55 PM
Taptrick

Gorbachev would argue that point.
11th June 2004 01:07 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Taptrick wrote:
Gorbachev would argue that point.

Why? Why should he? The Chinese Communists and the Russian Communists have ran moderately successful totalitarian States for the last 50 years or so. It CAN be done you know. Here in America it won't be quite as easy, as the Americans still carry a few guns and won't go down so fast. But once the "gas" is gone, which it will be soon, the Americans won't be able to turn in their guns to the nearest police depot fast enough. I hope I'm wrong.
[Edited by Ten Thousand Motels]
11th June 2004 01:14 PM
Bloozehound
The gas will be around for quite a while longer.

11th June 2004 01:16 PM
jb Very interesting ....don't know the answer.
11th June 2004 01:36 PM
Ten Thousand Motels
quote:
Bloozehound wrote:
The gas will be around for quite a while longer.

Yes it will. BUT....not cheap gas. Hey look, I wouldn't mind a more laid back agrarian society. But even that has its drawbacks. Sure we have alot of problems, which could at least be half solved if those idiots we send to Washington actually worked...or were half honest. Ron Paul is ok. But he's a throwback. We're in the "Rome" stage now. Republic or Dictatorship.
11th June 2004 01:44 PM
jb I suppose we are all Nomads at one time or another.
11th June 2004 02:02 PM
glencar No wonder people are leaving this site. See youse later - much later!
11th June 2004 02:04 PM
jb
quote:
glencar wrote:
No wonder people are leaving this site. See youse later - much later!

Actually, all the boards are a little slow right now...I'm sure with a new album and tour in the works , things will pick up .....Good luck Blue....see you in New York July 23-28th....
[Edited by jb]
11th June 2004 02:12 PM
caro It's always the same : as soon as someone mentions mashed potato sculptures, people leave the board.
11th June 2004 02:19 PM
Taptrick Why should he? It's not hypothetical. He did/does/will. Mr. Gorbachev usually won't concede that the West "won" the cold war. He likes to say both lost. He clearly lost. Here is the reality:

"Gentlemen, comrades, do not be concerned about all you hear about Glasnost and Perestroika and democracy in the coming years. They are primarily for outward consumption. There will be no significant internal changes in the Soviet Union, other than for cosmetic purposes. Our purpose is to disarm the Americans and let them fall asleep. We want to accomplish three things: One, we want the Americans to withdraw conventional forces from Europe.
Two, we want them to withdraw nuclear forces from Europe.
Three, we want the Americans to stop proceeding with Strategic Defense Initiative."
By: Mikhail Gorbachev Date: November 1987
Source: speech to the Soviet Politburo, November 1987
This is during a time when the desire was expansion of the Warsaw Pact and obtaining an outlet to the seas via the mideast.

In most people's eyes when you committ to such clearly defined goals and not only fail to accomplish them - but actually have the outcomes you desire happen to your enemy actually happen to you; and you lose your job; and your country ceases to exist - that's losing.

If you want to define as "moderately successful" governments that have to build walls so their people don't leave and kill them if they catch them in the act then you and I live in two different worlds. I would hope those would be things you would not tolerate were you faced with it. I won't. Millions have died trying to escape, hundreds of thousands were imprisoned in the USSR and China for owning property or had the misfortune of having an education. The amount of killing that happened under Stalin and Lenin is clearly documeneted - even Gorbachev concedes it. And even if you fall in camp with the Maoist and want to say The Cultural Revolution didn't kill millions then you still have to realize Mao himself was proud to claim responsibility of 800,000 executions between 1949-1954. And if you believe the 30-40 million that died in the 1960-1962 famine didn't die because of Mao, then I would hope you at least understand how forcing 500,000 professionals from their positions in the major cities in 1959 and the insane ideas of "The Great Leap Forward" contributed to that famine. The fact that you have millions of their citizens leaving their country during that time-frame (while under threat of imprisonment or death to their entire families if caught doing so)...to come to our country. I don't need anything else to weigh the balance of goodness between those two choices.

And while I agree there needs to be alternatives to gasoline developed I think it would surprise us how quickly that would occur if we were faced with an immediate need. I think you will see the majority of autos being produced as hybrids in 5 years. If forced, I suspect that pace could be accelarated exponentially...and way beyond a hybrid.

I understand there will always be differing opinions on this. What strikes me is the tendancy of one side to fall into line with what Eric Hoffer would call "a true believer" and the inability to realize what happens if Atlas Shrugs.

[Edited by Taptrick]
[Edited by Taptrick]
11th June 2004 02:19 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Ten Thousand Motels wrote:

Yes it will. BUT....not cheap gas.

You know how much they're paying for a gallon of gas in Great Britain ?

It's simple cause & effect, if you've watched the news lately, you'd know there's a war going on in Iraq. Iraq sits upon the second-largest proven crude reserves in the world and accounts for something like 8 to 10 % of Opec's TOTAL output.

That's a significant amount and things don't run very effectively in war zones. Everything starts to get outta whack when people can't produce as effectively and/or make shipments on time. It effects everybody, especially when your talking about energy. The world runs on energy, it's one of the most vital resource we need for survival - like it or not.

And let's not even get into China currently sucking the life outta the energy supply chain.

That's why we need to get the Iraq situtation settled - asap, support your troops. Peacetime can work wonders on your pocket book.

[Edited by Bloozehound]
11th June 2004 02:21 PM
jb Very interesting stuff guys.....whatever happened to those stand-up like electric riders that were going to be the greatest thing since sliced bread?
11th June 2004 02:23 PM
sirmoonie The fucking irony in that departure post. Jesus Christ.

I disagree caro, I think it was the subversive calls for a more nomadic agrarian society that threw her into hissyhood. The sculpted mashed potatoes had jack to do with it, IMGDHFO.

I really like you caro. I told you that befo' didn't I?
11th June 2004 02:25 PM
Bloozehound glencar is a cool dude, I hope he's not serious
11th June 2004 02:27 PM
caro
quote:
I disagree caro, I think it was the subversive calls for a more nomadic agrarian society that threw her into hissyhood. The sculpted mashed potatoes had jack to do with it, IMGDHFO.

I keep liking it when you say that. I didn't really understand the agrarian bit, so I settled for the easier explanation.
11th June 2004 02:28 PM
Bloozehound also, sirmoonfeather is a great fan of the Eagles
11th June 2004 02:29 PM
jb
quote:
sirmoonie wrote:
The fucking irony in that departure post. Jesus Christ.

The British have shown us again what a true friend does for another.....the repect they are given our departed former president is marvelous....the British, along with the Israelis, are America's only real friends in the world.
11th June 2004 02:29 PM
glencar "sir"moonie is a fucking dullard who sits in a corner reading PEOPLE all weekend.
11th June 2004 02:54 PM
Bloozehound
quote:
Taptrick wrote:

Why should he? It's not hypothetical. He did/does/will. Mr. Gorbachev usually won't concede that the West "won" the cold war. He likes to say both lost. He clearly lost. Here is the reality.....

.....understand there will always be differing opinions on this. What strikes me is the tendancy of one side to fall into line with what Eric Hoffer would call "a true believer" and the inability to realize what happens if Atlas Shrugs.

[Edited by Taptrick]

That has to be one of the best posts I've read in this entire thread, great post Taptrick, very well said.

[Edited by Bloozehound]
11th June 2004 04:41 PM
gypsy Wrong! sirmoonie reads the Enquirer when he's not smoking meth.
11th June 2004 08:38 PM
gotdablouse
quote:
There was a time not to long ago that we both were smoking a joint together in front of the blimp
Riffhard

Huh! Wonder what Ronnie wouda thunk of dat ;-)

The guy just died after 10 years of misery, peace on him and his family. Having said that, he's getting way too much credit, he was the "face" (astute of course) of the Republicans of the time, just like Bush Jr is the face of today's simple minded neo-conservatives. Maybe Clinton misbehaved in the oval office, but at least he was his own man and wasn't governed exclusively by "interests", case in point the Kyoto agreement on the environment. As to the 09/11 argument you set forth, it seems you've missed some recent debates...
11th June 2004 10:28 PM
LadyJane As a Democrat, I personally never cared much for the politics of President Reagan. That said, watching today's and this evening's services reminded me that He was first and foremost a Husband and Father.

My heart goes out to Nancy Reagan. She has shown such devotion and grace. May God Bless her and her family.

RIP President Reagan. You are now free of the binds of Alzheimer's Disease, perhaps the cruelest malady of our time.

LJ.
[Edited by LadyJane]
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6