ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...It was her second name!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Does Anyone like TSMR ? Return to archive
10th June 2006 11:34 AM
Jigsaw Puzzle (Their Satanic Majesties Request) Does anyone like it? ALOT of people complained that it sucked but aside from a few that aren't so good (Sing this all together (See What Happens)), citadel and the lantern r awsome...
10th June 2006 11:43 AM
Ten Thousand Motels I like that She's a Rainbow song. That's a great song. For that alone the album is worth it's weight in rock n roll gold.
10th June 2006 12:04 PM
BILL PERKS I LOVE IT
10th June 2006 12:13 PM
MrPleasant Better than Emotional Rescue.

Better than A Bigger Bang.

Better than St. Anger.
10th June 2006 12:36 PM
GotToRollMe Hell yeah, I love "Satanic Majesties." As Mr. Motels pointed out above, "She's A Rainbow" makes the album worth its weight in R&R gold.
10th June 2006 02:08 PM
Soldatti I'm not a big fan, Citadel, 2000 Man, She's a rainbow and 2000 Light Years are great songs.
10th June 2006 02:54 PM
keefjunkie its one of my favorite albums. period.
10th June 2006 03:08 PM
Egbert
quote:
Soldatti wrote:
I'm not a big fan, Citadel, 2000 Man, She's a rainbow and 2000 Light Years are great songs.

I like those 4 and also Lantern, and find both STATs and Gomper somewhat interesting. Haven't listened to it on acid though so my opinions are unqualified.
10th June 2006 05:57 PM
JOHNNYSTONED one of the best albums of their career and one that is
so unfairly put down!! rainbow- citadel-land- show -
lantern-2000- all great songs,,, i love the psychedelic
era --this album and dandelion / we love you are the most underrated era of the stones existence..brilliant!!!!!!!
10th June 2006 06:08 PM
Gazza
quote:
Jigsaw Puzzle wrote:
(Their Satanic Majesties Request) Does anyone like it?

not me

quote:
ALOT of people complained that it sucked

a lot of people were quite correct!

quote:
but aside from a few that aren't so good (Sing this all together (See What Happens)), citadel and the lantern r awsome...

'Jumpin' Jack Flash' and 'Gimme Shelter' would be a couple of examples of songs that IMO are 'awesome'.

'The Lantern' and 'Shitadel' dont deserve to be mentioned in the same paragraph, which is why I've started a new one.

the pair of '2000' songs are really good, as is 'Shes A rainbow'. The rest varies from mediocre to poor to embarrassing.

If I were to pick the worst 10-12 songs the Stones have ever done, about half of the list would come from this album.

And my hostility to it isnt because I dont like that 'type' of music. Some of it has a certain, if dated, charm. Its simply not good Rolling Stones music. They have crossed over into other genres throughout their career, often with brilliant results. On this occasion, they simply didnt do it very well as the songs generally arent that good. It just smacks of bandwagon-jumping, which is wahy its never sounded 'real' to me. All style and no substance - or as we'd like to say here, "fur coat and no knickers"...
10th June 2006 06:11 PM
MrPleasant Come on: who cares what people think? A lot of them even liked Titanic and monogamy.
10th June 2006 06:38 PM
pdog Taking drugs to make music for people to takes drugs to listen too, or something like that.
10th June 2006 07:35 PM
lotsajizz Citadel is a GREAT song...
11th June 2006 02:05 PM
Gimme Shelter Great album
11th June 2006 02:32 PM
MrPleasant Citadel, The Lantern, Light Years From Home, Rainbow. At least half of the album is great.

The opening track is nothing but a joke, like the 3D cover. Plus, you get to listen to Bill snoring (after a wonderful melody; you can't deny the melody)!! Ligthen up, get drunk and sing like a dog.
11th June 2006 05:58 PM
Bob Tamp Spring 1981, a couple of my school friends joined me to see a neighborhood buddy going to school at Trinity College in Hartford. Ate mushrooms and put on Satanic. It's really the ultimate trip album.
12th June 2006 03:15 AM
sssoul smile: Gazza my dear, as i'm sure you already know, there's a *lot* of joy to be had in a fur coat and no knickers.
Satanic Majesties grooves me just fine. if nothing else moves you, listen to the guitar!

- 1967, by Shepard Sherbell
[Edited by sssoul]
[Edited by sssoul]
12th June 2006 06:58 AM
Gazza
quote:
sssoul wrote:
smile: Gazza my dear, as i'm sure you already know, there's a *lot* of joy to be had in a fur coat and no knickers.

The 'meaning' of the expression is perhaps lost in the transatlantic translation, but I prefer the sound of your scenario to mine.....

quote:
Satanic Majesties grooves me just fine. if nothing else moves you, listen to the guitar!

theres GUITAR on it?

12th June 2006 07:36 AM
corgi37 A bloody great waste of effort. The only good thing about Satanic was that they realised how shit they sounded, and came back with a career defining single and a back to basics classic album.

Having said that, i like some of their hippie-trippie stuff. We love you and Dandelion. Dont know why i like Dandelion, but i do.
12th June 2006 08:29 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
A bloody great waste of effort. The only good thing about Satanic was that they realised how shit they sounded, and came back with a career defining single and a back to basics classic album.

Damn right. Thank fuck it was a flop. Otherwise, it might have encouraged and inspired them to go on a different musical path, they wouldnt have hired Jimmy Miller and we may not have got the works of genius that followed.
12th June 2006 09:13 AM
Nasty Habits I like the parts I like on it more than I used to and hate the parts I hate on it more than ever.

I think it breaks down into 20 minutes of quality and 20 minutes of crap, not because I don't like "experimental" music so much as I think the Stones are pretty terrible at it.

But yes, the Lantern is a pretty damn good song with some pretty damn good guitar.

And I do get a kick out of In Another Land.

Does anybody else dig Redd Kross's version of Citadel? ROCK!

12th June 2006 09:46 PM
Soldatti I heard it today and is not so bad, is a 50/50 record. Great songs and some bad shit too.
13th June 2006 07:52 AM
Zack Sing This All Together actually features some nice lyrics and melody, but there's no music to speak of to back them up.
13th June 2006 07:55 AM
corgi37 Also, it was their 1st production effort, wasnt it? So, then it's not a total loss. Well, it is when you fork over money for it. I have a vinyl with the 3d cover, but dont know if its worth anything. The other vinyl i played a few times, and sold it years ago. Never been tempted to buy it on cd.
13th June 2006 09:57 AM
Gazza
quote:
corgi37 wrote:
I have a vinyl with the 3d cover, but dont know if its worth anything.

completely worthless...I'll be happy to take it off your hands ..as a favour, you understand, because the music is so bad.....
13th June 2006 11:35 AM
Honky Tonk Man There are a few disillusioned individuals who worship Satanic like the second coming, but the sensible mortals amongst us will tell you that it's rubbish. There are a few OKAY tracks, but the majority is tripe. Stick on Emotional Rescue instead.
13th June 2006 07:45 PM
stewed & Keefed
quote:
Honky Tonk Man wrote:
There are a few disillusioned individuals who worship Satanic like the second coming, but the sensible mortals amongst us will tell you that it's rubbish. There are a few OKAY tracks, but the majority is tripe. Stick on Emotional Rescue instead.

Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)