ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
A Bigger Bang Tour 2006

...It was her second name!
[ ROCKSOFF.ORG ] [ IORR NEWS ] [ SETLISTS 1962-2006 ] [ FORO EN ESPAŅOL ] [ BIT TORRENT TRACKER ] [ BIT TORRENT HELP ] [ BIRTHDAY'S LIST ] [ MICK JAGGER ] [ KEITHFUCIUS ] [ CHARLIE WATTS ] [ RONNIE WOOD ] [ BRIAN JONES ] [ MICK TAYLOR ] [ BILL WYMAN ] [ IAN "STU" STEWART ] [ NICKY HOPKINS ] [ MERRY CLAYTON ] [ IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN ] [ LINKS ] [ PHOTOS ] [ JIMI HENDRIX ] [ TEMPLE ] [ GUESTBOOK ] [ ADMIN ]
CHAT ROOM aka The Fun HOUSE Rest rooms last days
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Billy Preston R.I.P. Return to archive Page: 1 2 3 4
6th June 2006 10:16 PM
CHIEFMOON With Ian Stuart, Boston, 1975.

From Jacksonville, 1975.

[Edited by CHIEFMOON]
[Edited by CHIEFMOON]
6th June 2006 11:00 PM
Bitch RIP BILLY!

i remember him in his younger years with the afro - he always looked cool on stage with the Stones.

I saw him in NY playing smaller clubs, and did he tour with other bands too.

6th June 2006 11:09 PM
TomL FBM C10 said it but I got to say it again.

RIP ...you can dance with Billy on the piano if you like....
7th June 2006 12:10 AM
time is on my side RIP Billy

7th June 2006 04:01 AM
Poplar
Never understood why there wasn't a Billy Preston link under the RO header. If Merry Clayton has one, certainly Billy should.
7th June 2006 04:34 AM
UGot2Rollme
quote:
Poplar wrote:

Never understood why there wasn't a Billy Preston link under the RO header. If Merry Clayton has one, certainly Billy should.

Amen.

I will get our church band to play "That's the Way" in honor of Billy soon. Thanks for the Youtube link, Chuck.

Rest in Peace, Brother.
7th June 2006 05:36 AM
Angiegirl
quote:
Bitch wrote:

Fantastic picture!!

Goodbye Billy.
7th June 2006 06:11 AM
Mathijs Preston doesn't play on Miss You, that's Ian McLagan.

His passing is really sad news, he will be missed.

Mathijs
7th June 2006 06:15 AM
Gazza
quote:
Mathijs wrote:
Preston doesn't play on Miss You, that's Ian McLagan.

correct, although I think Mick says on the sleevenotes to Jump Back that Billy worked with him on the original development of the song about a year or so before it was recorded.
7th June 2006 06:17 AM
RSRTG R.I.P. BILLY
7th June 2006 07:19 AM
justforyou For a musician with such positive energy, it's tragic he should die before reaching 60 and after 6+ months in coma. Condolences to his loved ones.
7th June 2006 08:02 AM
corgi37 Is he also on Let it Loose?
7th June 2006 08:03 AM
justinkurian Keith weighs in (at the end)...from NME.com:

'Fifth Beatle' Billy Preston has died aged 59.

The keyboard player, who played with the Fab Four as well as The Rolling Stones and Bob Dylan, had been battling chronic kidney failure for some time. He underwent a kidney transplant in 2002, but the kidney failed and he has been on dialysis treatments ever since.

The star's manager Joyce Moore told Billboard that Preston had been in a coma in a care facility since November. He was taken to a hospital in Scottsdale, Arizona at the weekend (June 3) after his condition deteriorated.

Preston is best known for providing keyboards on The Beatles' 'Let It Be' album, most notably a solo on the Number One single 'Get Back'. He even performed with them the last time they played live, at the rooftop concert in central London in 1969. It was around this time he began to be dubbed 'The fifth Beatle' by fans and the press.

Preston also later appeared on solo albums by Beatles pals George Harrison, John Lennon and Ringo Starr.

He also most notably guested with The Rolling Stones on their classic albums 'Sticky Fingers' and 'Exile On Main Street', as well as Bob Dylan's 'Blood On The Tracks', Sly And The Family Stone's 'There's A Riot Goin' On' and Aretha Franklin's 'Young, Gifted And Black'.

Preston was also successful as a solo artist in the Seventies, winning a best instrumental Grammy in 1973 for the track 'Outta Space'.

Mick Jagger was among the first paying tribute to Preston, saying: "Billy was a fantastic and gifted musician...a superb singer at both recording sessions and live. He was great fun to be with onstage when touring with us...I will miss him a lot."

Jagger's bandmate Keith Richards, himself recovering from a recent operation, added: "One For Billy, a genius with all the baggage! Too soon, so great! Miss you."
7th June 2006 08:23 AM
Nellcote Thanks for the sweet sounds.
7th June 2006 08:43 AM
Lil Brian Thank you Billy.
7th June 2006 09:18 AM
egon clcick on the link
wait till commercial has finished (15 seconds, in Dutch)

http://www.zoomin.tv/videoplayer/?fuseaction=videolaunch&pid=algdagblad&id=217354&nbg=ftv
7th June 2006 09:34 AM
Gazza
quote:
justinkurian wrote:
He also most notably guested with The Rolling Stones on their classic albums 'Sticky Fingers' and 'Exile On Main Street', as well as Bob Dylan's 'Blood On The Tracks', Sly And The Family Stone's 'There's A Riot Goin' On' and Aretha Franklin's 'Young, Gifted And Black'.

Noticed quite a few obituaries have made this same mistake in the last 24 hours. Billy Preston doesnt play on Blood On The Tracks or any other Bob Dylan session for that matter. There's a similarly-named Billy Peterson who plays bass on half of the songs however
7th June 2006 09:44 AM
Nellcote Lightweight journalists rushing to meet deadlines, Gazza.
Gets me crazy.
People should write their own obits, to get it right.
I'm on my 3rd chapter, I will only accept the full version published.
7th June 2006 09:46 AM
Gazza
quote:
Nellcote wrote:
Lightweight journalists rushing to meet deadlines, Gazza.
Gets me crazy.
People should write their own obits, to get it right.
I'm on my 3rd chapter, I will only accept the full version published.

sorry to get off-topic, but it might save time. If you still need that Bruce BBC TV special on DVD, e-mail me your address and I'll try and send it tomorrow.
7th June 2006 10:41 AM
Saint Sway in NY, the local Time Warner channel "NY1" was running clips of Billy onstage at the end of each hour this morning.

cool footage of his amazing performance at George Harrisons Concert for Bangledesh. Shows him strutting around the stage. Pretty cool that the local news would run a clip of a pretty under the radar (to the masses) musician.
7th June 2006 10:50 AM
GotToRollMe Oh, man. Sad to see you go, Billy. RIP.
7th June 2006 11:06 AM
Nellcote Gazza, pm sent, thanks!
7th June 2006 11:21 AM
Irina Rest in peace, Billy.

7th June 2006 01:22 PM
chevysales wonder if the battle begins between family and manager of billy as we read about when he lapsed into this coma.

nothing from nothing leaves nothing

chief moon... anymore jacksonville gator bowl shots from 75 tour of the america's?

my first show.
7th June 2006 02:16 PM
Angry Ham Billy Preston will be missed.

Hi everyone. Just found your board. I love it.
7th June 2006 02:52 PM
jaggergurl RIP, Billy, you will be missed.....

7th June 2006 03:13 PM
CHIEFMOON
quote:
chevysales wrote:
wonder if the battle begins between family and manager of billy as we read about when he lapsed into this coma.

nothing from nothing leaves nothing

chief moon... anymore jacksonville gator bowl shots from 75 tour of the america's?

my first show.

Check PM.
7th June 2006 03:18 PM
glencar Whatever happened to Ollie Brown?
7th June 2006 07:14 PM
chevysales
quote:
CHIEFMOON wrote:

Check PM.

thank you recieved and responded.
much appreciated.
7th June 2006 07:55 PM
stonedinaustralia
quote:
Gazza wrote:

Noticed quite a few obituaries have made this same mistake in the last 24 hours. Billy Preston doesnt play on Blood On The Tracks or any other Bob Dylan session for that matter. There's a similarly-named Billy Peterson who plays bass on half of the songs however

thanks gazza - was going to ask you if that was correct - it sure was news to me
Page: 1 2 3 4
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
The Rolling Stones World Tour 2005 Rolling Stones Bigger Bang Tour 2005 2006 Rolling Stones Forum - Rolling Stones Message Board - Mick Jagger - Keith Richards - Brian Jones - Charlie Watts - Ian Stewart - Stu - Bill Wyman - Mick Taylor - Ronnie Wood - Ron Wood - Rolling Stones 2005 Tour - Farewell Tour - Rolling Stones: Onstage World Tour A Bigger Bang US Tour

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED)