ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Vienna's Ernst Happel Stadium June 18, 2003
REUTERS/Heinz-Peter Bader

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Woody covers Ivy Return to archive
06-13-03 10:14 PM
moy

Wood paints dinner party of a lifetime
By Nicole Martin
(Filed: 14/06/2003)

Even Britain's most renowned celebrity hang-out would struggle to attract such an assembly of famous diners in one evening.

But in what looks like one of the A-list events of recent times, Jennifer Lopez and Sir Mick Jagger are pictured rubbing shoulders with Kate Moss, the Lloyd Webbers and Jagger's former wife Jerry Hall at the Ivy restaurant in the heart of London's theatreland.

Click to enlarge

Joining them in the plush wood-panelled interior, decorated with paintings from the Ivy's private collection, are Joan Collins and Sir Tom Stoppard.

The painting, a fantasy for any party planner, is the work of Ronnie Wood, the Rolling Stones guitarist, who is more commonly associated with the wilder excesses of rock'n'roll than paint brushes and palettes.

He was commissioned by Lord Lloyd-Webber to marshal some of the Ivy's most celebrated and influential patrons for a picture that would revive the neglected Victorian art of creating panoramic social scenes.

The restaurant, said Lord Lloyd-Webber, was the perfect setting for a picture of contemporary London life because it is where "many of the more colourful power brokers from all walks of life don the nose bag".

And Wood was the perfect artist to paint it, not least because he was famous and "exotic" enough to persuade the stars to give up their time to sit for a work that will probably hang in Tate Modern.

At first, 30 Ivy regulars were asked to nominate their favourite dining companion. Sir Elton John chose three: David Furnish, his boyfriend; Neil Tennant, of the Pet Shop Boys; and Janet Street Porter, the writer and broadcaster.

Shown here is one part, still unfinished, of the uncompleted triptych. The other two panels that comprise the 15ft by 8ft work featuring 60 other celebrities include Naomi Campbell, Melvyn - now Lord - Bragg, Salman Rushdie, Michael Parkinson and Lulu.

Wood, 56, attended Ealing Art College, west London, in the 1960s and has been painting for more than 35 years.

"It's intimidating in terms of the sheer amount of work involved and the organisation to get everybody in my studio to sit for sketches at the right times," he said. 'But I'm sure all the effort will be worthwhile once the project is completed."

Wood's artistic talent - he has exhibited work in Britain, Japan and America - is in contrast to his hard-living lifestyle. As the Rolling Stones prepared for their 40th world tour last year, he checked into an American clinic to be treated for alcoholism.

But painting remains a passion; he takes paper, pencils and pastels with him whenever he is on the road.

'I always had the knack but I was never sure which direction I would take," he said. "As it turned out, the music side of things turned out well but my art has never been far away and I've been painting regularly all my life."

The sketches for the picture, provisionally called The Ivy Painting, will be sold at auction later this year.

"I think Ronnie is doing a wonderful job," said Lord Lloyd-Webber yesterday. "This is of course a glimpse at work in progress and the painting is unfinished but I'm absolutely delighted by the direction it is going in."
06-14-03 09:43 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl What was Woody thinking when he painted Kate and Louise?

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003