ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Vienna's Ernst Happel Stadium June 18, 2003
REUTERS/Heinz-Peter Bader

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, San Siro - June 10 - Setlist, pix and reviews Return to archive
06-10-03 07:01 PM
Monkey Woman Check IORR:
http://www.iorr.org/tour03/milan.htm
Thanks to Bjornulf!
06-10-03 07:08 PM
Angiegirl Brown Sugar
Start Me Up
You Got Me Rocking
Don't Stop
Miss You
Out Of Control
Angie
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Tumbling Dice
--- Introductions
Thru And Thru (Keith)
Happy (Keith)
Sympathy For The Devil
It's Only Rock'n Roll (B-stage)
Mannish Boy (B-stage)
Like A Rolling Stone (B-stage)
Gimme Shelter
Honky Tonk Women
Street Fighting Man
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash (encore)
06-10-03 07:09 PM
Angiegirl Miss You, Angie and LARS?? Well, YCAGWYW right?
At least OOC which is very cool, hope they'll do it in Oberhausen next Friday.
06-10-03 07:21 PM
Mr T wow - 4 songs from the past 10 years, that's almost record breaking for a Stones show this tour. what's next? going back to Steel Wheels(have they done anything off that the entire Licks tour?) Well - not as good as the other night's club show, but an ok example of the Licks stadium setlist. Gotta say I preferred the Brown Sugar/IORR opening over Start Me Up - but I guess I'm not totally against the idea of them dropping one of their traditional must do songs for one night

Give me Hand Of Fate, Stray Cat Blues, and CYHMK all in one show - then I'll be impressed (oh, wait, they did... I want more shows like that one!)
06-10-03 07:50 PM
Gazza >going back to Steel Wheels(have they done anything off that the entire Licks tour?)

yes..theyve played "slipping away" as often as not and "sad sad sad" was played at palais royale
06-10-03 07:55 PM
Angiegirl Damn, I can't seem to find any pix of tonight's show. Are they not interesting anymore to Reuters, Yahoo etc. after Munich or what?
06-10-03 07:59 PM
Beastie Bry If I'm not mistaken, another Steel Wheels song they played was "Rock and a Hard Place" at Gillette Stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts.

06-10-03 08:03 PM
Gazza thats correct
06-10-03 08:13 PM
ziggypayne Sad Sad Sad was also played at the Tower Theater in Philly.
06-10-03 08:45 PM
Mr T oh yeah - forgot Slipping Away (and I even saw them do it, pathetic, huh?) The other two tracks have been pretty rare to hear this tour though - I'm surprised how Voodoo Lounge is doing so much better with staying in the setlist

OK - so have they done any other B2B tracks this tour?
06-10-03 08:54 PM
Beastie Bry I am extremely disappointed about the exclusion of some Dirty Work tracks.

Na, not really.
[Edited by Beastie Bry]
06-10-03 09:01 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy I dunno. I've got "Had It With You" on, and I do think it'd make quite the B-Stage tune, to replace IORR once in awhile.

We all know our friend Marko is currently indisposed, so I guess, even though I disagree with him completely, I have to say the following since he's gone.

"Fucking LARS!"

-tSYX --- How does it feel?
06-10-03 09:01 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Mr T wrote:
oh yeah - forgot Slipping Away (and I even saw them do it, pathetic, huh?) The other two tracks have been pretty rare to hear this tour though - I'm surprised how Voodoo Lounge is doing so much better with staying in the setlist

OK - so have they done any other B2B tracks this tour?

"You Don't Have To Mean It" has shown up once in awhile.

-tSYX --- Gonna go downtown, gonna get my gun...
06-10-03 09:02 PM
steel driving hammer Also the 1st time they played 5 songs after the B Stage!
06-10-03 10:06 PM
Lazy Bones
quote:
TheSavageYoungXyzzy wrote:
"You Don't Have To Mean It" has shown up once in awhile.

...Oakland Arena, 12th November 2002.
06-11-03 12:01 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy ...Roseland Ballroom, New York City, September 30, 2002.

-tSYX --- You know what I wanna hear, drippin' from your lips...
06-11-03 01:45 AM
kahoosier they played SIX songs after the B stage in Chicago at Comsiky Park, two of them as encores.
06-11-03 05:37 AM
FotiniD Hi guys,

Don't expect an objective review from me! I'm in Italy, just woke up after last night and I still can't get over the shock.

After finally seeing the Stones live again, following a five-year period of waiting, trying and not scoring any tickets, I'm at a total loss of words

We arrived there at about four o' clock, the doors hadn't opened yet but the Stones were performing a SOUNDCHECK!!! AAAAAH!!! We heard them rehearse "Miss You" and "Out of Control" (which was funny, I didn't expect them to play this again) and some other songs that I can't remember now because I'm on basic function, totally gone

What can I say? I couldn't believe it when I heard "Angie" and "You can't always get what you want". And the cheering and ovation Keith got, he was there on the mic smiling and trying to say something and smiling again, it was wonderful. And I was surprised to hear "Out of control" live again, although I think it was played stronger and tighter in the Babylon tour - but you won't get ANY complaints from me guys, I think I've died and gone to heaven.

I was as close as it gets to the B-stage, Keith side... Still recovering I mean, SO damn close... I've never seen the Stones so close before, sheer magic! Looking at Keith, with his indian-sort feathers hanging from his neck, throwing picks at the crowd, then Woody, all smiles and laughter, Mick, causing mass hysteria just by looking at us and Charlie! I got a smile from Charlie Happy, happy, happy, happy!

Oh, did I mention I almost fainted listening to Keith sing "Happy"? God, how good can a concert get?!

So, sorry for the mixed-up ramblings guys, but I just had to get it off the system, somehow. I'm still too dizzy and in trance! God, I have to catch them in Holland too. Got the ticket, don't have the money But I have to make it!

Got many pictures, thanks for the advice of sneaking the camera in! Let's hope they develop good, because I had a one-use camera. Which was silly enough, because I saw guys with video-cameras in! Can you believe it? We have to get the video of this somehow. There was really no bag searching and all, I could have taken my video camera too... (sigh) Well, next time!

My heartfelt thanks to the Stones for one night to remember. I think I'll be talking to my grandchildren about this

P.S. There was a banner in the crowd which read: "Jesus of Nazareth, Jagger of Dartford: Thank You!".
06-11-03 07:02 AM
Monkey Woman Wonderful review, FotiniD! Makes me feel like I was there too! Well, almost
Thanks for sharing!
06-11-03 07:10 AM
partner in crime Hello everybody,
just a short review from �La Scala del Calcio� (and you know what I mean �)
It�s a great impression seeing this stadium sold out not for AC Milan but for the Stones, in this hot summer night. The Stones hit the stage a few minutes past 08:30 delivering a thunderous version of Brown Sugar with the crowd ready to sing and clap hands along with Mick; then, again open G and we had Start Me Up followed by the infamous You Got Me Rocking, a song I wouldn�t like to be played again but � �Buonasera Milano� Mick greeted the audience with perfect pronunciation � Don�t Stop, with Mick on guitar, is so much better played live than in studio, with nice camera views from Ron�s Stratocaster peghead: a good version, longer and tougher. Then Miss You, with Darryl�s bass lines on the spot, funky / disco to get stoned all nite long with the crowd getting back to Mick�s falsetto, absolutely astounding. I wasn�t expecting them to perform Out of Control, I think is a tour debut, wonderfully played by everyone, so far away from what I�ve seen during B2B and NS: great, with Ron and Keith interchanging fills and solos . Acoustic guitars for both and Keith strummed the first chord of Angie, definitively a crowd pleaser, well sung and played.
The bone introduced YCAGWYW, a great performance by the whole band, with a swingin�end followed by Tumblin�Dice, a song they could play even sleeping � Band intro with ovations for everybody then Keith� set, Thru and Thru, soulful and sweet with Happy to follow.
Congas and maracas kicked off Sympathy, Keith on the spot delivering his nervous solos as usual. Mick was the first, followed by Chuck, Charlie, Ron and Keith, to get the b-stage: a berry-styled intro by Keith for It�s Only Rock�n�Roll , great choruses by both the band and the crowd and, yeah, then it came Mannish Boy, highlight of the nite ,with Ronnie playing a wonderful Dan Armstrong Lucite. B-stage set ended with Like A Rolling Stone, a song I cannot stand no more �sorry! High fives on the way back to the main stage while Lisa became to moan the melody lines of Gimme Shelter, her song !!!
Gorgeous Keith hit his Tele to give us Honky Tonk Woman, with cartoons on the video screen, with a joyous impact on the enthusiastic crowd; just a breath then Ron embraced a marvellous sitar shaped Danelectro for a powerful rendition of Street Fightin�Man � what a song !!!
A tremendous Satisfaction earthquaked San Siro, red confetti all over the field, vigorously played and sung by everybody, with Keith playing his new baby, a metallic Telecaster with purple neck and peghead, a gift from ZZ Top guitar maker. �Good night� but we all knew it wasn�t over.
A short break before ending with Jumpin�Jack Flash, played with the devil inside � fireworks and lights on.
As you can guess a very good show, with a weird setlist, a great audience and the Greatest Rock�n�Roll Band in the World !!!
Ciao a tutti
Marco
06-11-03 08:40 AM
LadyJane
quote:
FotiniD wrote

P.S. There was a banner in the crowd which read: "Jesus of Nazareth, Jagger of Dartford: Thank You!".

What a great review FotiniD!

I'm so happy for you and know EXACTLY how you feel. Being up close to the Band is very surreal and you will probably be in a daze for a few days. Don't be surprised if you get a bit blue after that. So glad you got the camera in. We want to see pictures!!

And I love the banner!! What a great phrase!!

Thanks for sharing your memories with us!!

LadyJ.
06-11-03 09:35 AM
steel driving hammer Anyone else read that the journalisits are on strike in Italy?

Maybe thats why they were no pictures!

I know some fans took some!
06-11-03 10:12 AM
crashbandicoot001 ...from rs.com...

06-11-03 11:23 AM
FotiniD Another thing that I just remember (I keep getting flashbacks): they're on the b-stage and there's this guy with an Italian banner with the Stones tongue in the middle - exactly like that shown in one of the pictures, not sure whether it was that actual one too or not. Woody notices the banner and he seems to want it, so he nods to the guy to bring it forward. The guy gets closer to the b-stage and tosses the banner - it lands perfectly in the middle, but the security guy thinks he needs to remove it and so he does. Woody points "no, no" with his hands, but the security guy is not looking at his side, and he doesn't even notice. Keith shrugs his shoulder and gives a look at the guy, like saying "well, what can you do". Too bad!

P.S. Oh, and does the girl that help Mick change t-shirt on the b-stage after finishing that set, really gets paid?! That's one great job, tell you.
06-11-03 11:30 AM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy YOU ARE DO NOT OXIDIZE Thank you.

Ahhhh, I love it! It's great to see that many people there, just that crush of folks that you don't get in the US shows.

Fotini, what were they trying to say in that banner? I can usually decipher them, and my Spanish tends to sound like that, so I empathize with them, but I just can't figure out what they're trying to say there!

-tSYX --- Girl, girl, you make a dead man oxidize...
06-11-03 02:07 PM
Monkey Woman
quote:
YOU ARE DO NOT OXIDIZE Thank you.

Don't rust???
06-11-03 02:29 PM
TheSavageYoungXyzzy
quote:
Monkey Woman wrote:

Don't rust???

Hahaha, that's pretty awesome.

-tSYX --- Rockin' and a-reelin' with a whole lotta feelin'...
06-11-03 03:53 PM
Child of the Moon I also quite like the other banner:

TODAY. ALL TOGETHER
TOO OUR SON'S
PLEASE YOU DEDICATE TO THEM YOURS SONG

Along with "DO NOT OXIDIZE," more words of wisdom. Stonesfans are the best people in the world.
06-13-03 05:30 AM
TanoMick This was my fourth concert after Turin 82-90 and Basel 95. There was very hot in Stadio Meazza, but anyone semmed to be very happy and pleased to see the Stones. When Keef started Brown Sugar, all the audience really was impressed on how the band was good looking and in a very good form. I agree with Marco that Don�t Stop was much tougher than the cd version, very good played. But the highlights of the concert were YCAGWYW and Mannish Boy. Well, the first one is my favourite, let me say this was very brilliant and sung perfectly by Mick (as usual). But the tempo of Mannish Boy was absolutely stunning! And Mick�s harmonica... Time is always on their sides!
TanoMick
Italy
06-13-03 09:28 AM
VoodooChileInWOnderl Welcome Tano and thank you

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003