ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Vienna's Ernst Happel Stadium June 18, 2003
REUTERS/Heinz-Peter Bader

WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Bill German's Stones Zone] [Ch2: British Invasion] [Ch3: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch4: Random Sike-ay-delia]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [IORR TOUR SCHEDULE 2003] [LICKS TOUR EN ESPA�OL] [SETLISTS 1962-2003] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [IAN 'MAC' McLAGAN] [BERNARD FOWLER] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [CHUCK LEAVELL] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch
ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: SMALL FACES 'ULTIMATE COLLECTION' Return to archive
06-10-03 03:50 PM
Rags Small Faces 'Ultimate Collection' is a must have for old and new fans alike. This landmark release combines 25 of the best Decca recordings alongside 25 of the best from their Immediate cuts, newly remastered and sounding better than ever. It's also the first compilation EVER to receive the Small Faces' full stamp of approval. So, if you already know about the Small Faces, you'll have to own this set. And, if you're not too familiar with the band but want the best introduction on the market, you'll have to own this set.

Small Faces 'Ultimate Collection' debuted at #24 in the UK Charts, and marks their first return to the charts in 28 years! Keep the lads in the charts where they deserve to be: buy your copy TODAY.

Go here to purchase your copy of the best Small Faces collection ever! Now available to fans WORLDWIDE! Order online:
http://www.recordstore.co.uk/home.jsp?Search=TDSAN004

Check out the Small Faces 'Ultimate Collection' Micro-site with photos, reviews, audio samples, and TV commercial: http://www.sanctuaryrecordsgroup.co.uk/smallfaces/

This just in...

Mac will be getting 50 copies to personalize and send right to your doorstep! Stay tuned at http://www.macspages.com for more details...

------------------------------------------------------------

The structure of the Ultimate Collection divides the group's career into its two distinctive halves: the powerful R&B-pop of their Decca period (late 1965 to early 1967) and the texturally more varied and exploratory music of their psychedelic pop period on the Immediate label (mid-1967 to early 1969).

If you haven't got a Small Faces compilation in your collection, this is the one to have.

Ian MacDonald - MOJO

If life really is "Just a bowl of All-Bran," these two discs hold the fibre.

Simon Goddard - UNCUT

Faces Fan Forum

http://www.the-faces.com/forum/index.php
06-10-03 07:27 PM
Honky Tonk Man Hey Rags,

I really do like the Small Faces. So much better than the Faces!

Im sure this sounds like a dumb question, but is it really worth getting?

For someone who owns none of their outtput, they yeah, obvsiously, but i own their debut Decca album and the "Darlings Of Wrapping Wharf" Immidiete Anthology. I also have a cheaper cd with all their Decca hits on it too.

So, still worth getting? Im thinking about the asound quality here. I understand the compilation has some early b sides too? "Grow You Own"? I have a few of theirt Decca 45s, thanks to my old man. That song is fantastic!

You going to the Small Faces convention this year? Went a couple of years ago. Really Good. The Ruskin Arms, what a place!

Cheers

Alex
06-10-03 09:50 PM
Rags Hi Alex,

Yes! As a long time fan, I highly recommend this collection. It's the best remastered sound of the Small Faces work. I'm hearing stuff I never did before. It's amazing. I was having my own 'Ultimate' jam driving in my car tonight.

Another thing that the band and fans alike are very proud of is the fact that this is the first ever release that the band has fully authorized and approved. And it's also a ground-breaking effort that they have combined the two eras and music labels with the Decca and Immediate recordings. The Small Faces will be getting royalties which they've been cheated out of through the years. We were so happy to see them debut at #24 in the UK albums chart. It is so well deserved. Sadly, Ronnie and Steve aren't with us to share in the joy.

Go here for more info and the 'Ultimate Collection' track listing:
http://www.the-faces.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26

Mac will soon have copies at macspages.com to autograph and mail worldwide. It's a nice treat since it's a UK only release.

>You going to the Small Faces convention this year?

I would love to go one year! I work for a school district and have the summer off. So, I don't get any vacation time during the school year. The convention is scheduled in September every year. Maybe I can do just the weekend somehow. I'll keep you posted with news on the event.

The Small Faces message board 'Groping with a Stoker' is a must. You'll be the first to know the latest news/updates on everything Small Faces. And a nice group of fans meet up for the convention every year and have a royal piss-up. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SmallFaces/
06-11-03 03:36 AM
Prodigal Son Geez, the Small Faces are bigger than I noticed. They get so much fanfare and attention. I reckon them to be a good ol' Mod version of the Kinks combining a bit of Stones/Who spirit. I only have "There Are But Four Small Faces" which has "Tin Soldier" and "Ithycoo Park." Mariott, Lane, McLaglan, Jones=great, and the Faces were good too, but Humble Pie is something I cannot get into. Too much airheaded sleaze-rock that makes Mariott look dumb because he's trying to imitate Led Zep and especially Robert Plant. But they have some okay stuff, nonetheless.
"It's all too beautiful..."
06-11-03 08:00 AM
Talya Peachfeather " but Humble Pie is something I cannot get into. Too much airheaded sleaze-rock that makes Mariott look dumb because he's trying to imitate Led Zep and especially Robert Plant."

LOL!!!!!! Humble Pie were pre Led Zeppelin. AND Robert Plant/Jimmy Page looked ridiculous imitating Rod Stewart and Jeff Beck prior to Led Zeppelin having a recording contract. Also, remember that views on sexuality in the late 1960s were radically different to today. All in all, it's difficult to make judgments on all of that now. However, the Small Faces were terrific - they did wonderful covers, and the Steve Marriott/Ronnie Lane combination was terrific. Come to think of it, Humble Pie's first few albums were great, and lacked sleaze too. The sleaze seemed to emerge from touring the USA!!!! LOL!!!
06-11-03 08:53 AM
Honky Tonk Man Thanks Rags,

I must check that board out. I got sent info from that John Hellier guy about the new compilation and the Ruskin Arms gathering. If it wasn't for my holiday, i would be there.

I think i will get the new compliation. The other hits cds i have doesn't sound too good. Plus, its always nice to have somthing like that to play in the car!

Alex
06-11-03 09:38 AM
Rags Interesting discussion. That reminds me of a story in Mac's book, 'All The Rage' about how the Small Faces nicked their song 'You Need Loving' from Willie Dixon and then Zeppelin nicked it from the Small Faces. Robert Plant was a great fan of Steve Marriott and Small Faces. The end of the SF 'You Need Loving' has that great wailing part, 'You neeeeeeeeed....' like Plant sings in 'Whole Lotta Love.' In fact, Dixon sued Zep and won. Guess, the SF got off the hook.

Steve was sadly underrated in music history. The power of that voice is incredible. Definitely check out some more material from the SF...you won't be disappointed.
06-11-03 09:49 AM
Rags Hi Alex,

The 'Groping With A Stoker' board is like Small Faces central. You'll be the first to know the latest news/updates. John Hellier is a member on our board as well. He's the publisher of the SF fanzine, 'Darlings of Wapping Wharf Launderette.' I co-moderate the board with Mick Taylor (it's not THE Mick Taylor, but he's often mistaken online for being him).

>Plus, its always nice to have somthing like that to play >in the car!

Great! I know you'll enjoy it. That is one of my fave places to listen to music. It's like your own mini concert. Last night I was listening to the SF 'Ultimate Collection' in the car. You get so into it, your attention drifts...Look out! Rags is jamming to the Small Faces! Let me know if you'd be interested in writing a review of SF-UC for the Small Faces/Faces boards.

I was just checking out John Hellier's website. There's a SF 'Ultimate Collection' player where you can listen to sample tracks. It pops up when you visit the site:
http://www.wappingwharf.com
[Edited by Rags]
06-11-03 02:18 PM
Rags P.S. There's an 'Ultimate Collection' audio player where you can get a taste of Small Faces sounds. Just go to the Faces site and a window will automatically pop-up: http://www.the-faces.com/index.html

Listen to samples of the following tracks:

1. What'cha Gonna Do About It
2. I've Got Mine
3. Sha La La La Lee
4. All Or Nothing
5. My Minds Eye
6. Here Comes The Nice
7. Itchycoo Park
8. Tin Soldier
9. Afterglow (Of Your Love)
10.Tin Soldier
06-11-03 03:20 PM
RubyFriday The track list looks good.All important singles and B-sides as far as I can see.I would always prefer to have the originals though.Especially Ogden�s Nutgone Flake,which is one of my favourites,is a concept album and has to be heard as a whole.
Humble Pie consisted of Marriott,Peter Frampton - Ex-Herd,Greg Ridley - Ex-Spooky Tooth,Jerry Shirley - Ex-Apostolic Intervention and became the that time so popular super group status.But like many of these "supergroups" they couldn�t fullfill the expectations.Take their only Top 10 Hit Natural Born Bugie,A Nifty Little Number Like You and maybe their covers of Steppenwolf�s Desperation and Stones� Honky Tonk Women and you have all what you need.
06-11-03 04:45 PM
Rags Hi Ruby,

Someone new to the Small Faces just asked me what was vital to jump starting their collection. I'd say go with the 'Ultimate Collection' since it covers all the crucial elements from both labels, and for all the great reasons I've already mentioned. And then as you suggested, Ogdens' Nut Gone Flake.' It's a conceptual album that needs to be heard in it's entirety. It's brilliant! Some of the Ogdens' tracks are on the UC.
06-11-03 05:26 PM
RubyFriday Hi Rags,don�t get me wrong.I have no problem with that compilation.45(?) essential tracks.
06-11-03 06:32 PM
Rags It's 50 tracks (2 CDs) - 25 Decca and 25 Immediate tracks. Pretty cool that they combined the two labels and music eras.
06-12-03 10:49 AM
Rags Here's a message from my co-moderator, Mick Taylor, about the Small Faces convention:

Just received me ticket for the Small Faces convention - luverly jubberley-yah. For those waiting for some news here is the event and a little of what is happening before that :0)......

GROPING WITH A STOKER MEMBERS MEET
For those wanting to make a weekend of things - there will be a SMALL FACES [groping with a stoker] meet on Carnaby Street on the saturday round about 2pm for all you ravers!! For anyone not on the Small Faces list then join at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SmallFaces/

SMALL FACES CONVENTION [JOHN HELLIER FOR WAPPING WHARF IN ASSOCIATION WITH DEAN POWELL FOR MODERNIST PRODUCTIONS] *ahem* PROUDLY PRESENTS........

The convention is on SUNDAY, 21st September, at the RUSKIN ARMS [the home of Jimmy Winston and the Small Faces rehearsal rooms], 386 High Street North,
Manor Park, London, E12 6PH. Tickets are �15. The Ruskin Pub opens around 12-0-clock for drinks and merchandise. Stalls will be selling cd's, photos, rarities, and much more. Doors to the bands [adjoining room] etc will open
3:30. For ticket details please e-mail Sir John Hellier at: [email protected]

More details on bands etc coming soon.
stay cool................Mick
06-12-03 07:44 PM
Rags Mac now has 30 copies of Small Faces 'Ultimate Collection' to autograph and send right to your doorstep! Hurry, they'll be gone in a flash:
http://www.macspages.com/merch.htm

You can also buy a copy from Sanctuary Records and help push it up the UK charts:
http://www.recordstore.co.uk/home.jsp?Search=TDSAN004

*Both Macspages and Sanctuary ship worldwide.

Visits since January 9, 2003 - 10:46 PM EST
Licks World Tour 2002 - 2003