ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
On the Road World Tour 2002 - 2003

MGM 1999 - B-Stage by Littleredrooster... Thanks again Rooooooooster!!
WEBRADIO CHANNELS:
[Ch1: Sike-ay-delic 60's] [Ch2: Random Sike-ay-delia] [Ch3: British Invasion]

[THE WET PAGE] [IORR NEWS] [SETLISTS 62-99] [THE A/V ROOM] [THE ART GALLERY] [MICK JAGGER] [KEITHFUCIUS] [CHARLIE WATTS ] [RON WOOD] [BRIAN JONES] [MICK TAYLOR] [BILL WYMAN] [IAN STEWART ] [NICKY HOPKINS] [MERRY CLAYTON] [LISA FISCHER] [DARRYL JONES] [BOBBY KEYS] [JAMES PHELGE] [LINKS] [PHOTOS] [MAGAZINE COVERS] [MUSIC COVERS ] [JIMI HENDRIX] [BOOTLEGS] [TEMPLE] [GUESTBOOK] [ADMIN]

[CHAT ROOM aka THE FUN HOUSE] [RESTROOMS]

NEW: SEARCH ZONE:
Search for goods, you'll find the impossible collector's item!!!
Enter artist an start searching using "Power Search" (RECOMMENDED) inside.
Search for information in the wet page, the archives and this board:

PicoSearch

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board
Register | Update Profile | F.A.Q. | Admin Control Panel

Topic: Sweet Virgina Return to archive
06-09-02 05:44 PM
Mickjagger1963 Sweet Virgina is my mothers favorite Stones song....She was wondering what the lyrics mean? Do any of you know of any stories behind it?
06-09-02 05:54 PM
st0nesfan Speaking of Sweet Virginia, I remember reading a story that Jim Morrison met Keef and Mick during this time and was involved in some manner in this song. But I thought Jim Morrison was dead by this time. Also I read it on the alt.stones board so that means the story should be taken with a grain of salt to say the least.
06-11-02 11:10 AM
Chico This is my personal interpretation. I kinda thought it was Mick or Keith writing about some friend whos hooked on something and they're trying to persuade her to stop getting high(so it was probably jagger), cause the chorus goes,

"come on, come on down sweet virginia,
come on honey child, I beg you
come on come on down you got it in ya,
got to scrape that shit right off your shoes"

Just a thought.Even though it was about somebody getting high, its still kinda nice that whoever wrote it was trying to get them to stop.Mind you, Im quite sure mine and the jagger/richards mind works in very different ways.
06-11-02 12:05 PM
jb I think it's about the fact that the southern states were(are) very prejudice...also anti republican themes which is common in many stones songs...
06-11-02 12:16 PM
sandrew Oh, please. It's clearly not about the state of Virginia or the South generally.
06-11-02 02:51 PM
56DeSoto "wading through the waste stormy winter
and there's not a friend to help you through
trying to stop the waves behind your eyeballs
dropped your reds, dropped your greens and blues"

Drug references, anybody? Got all those pills listed on the last line of the verse.

"thank you for your wine california
thank you for your sweet and bitter fruit"

Okay, now we're onto CA. This isn't southern...possible Altamont reference: sweet and bitter fruit.

"yes I've got the desert in my toenails
and I hid the speed inside my shoe"

I think I read or heard that hiding drugs inside shoes was how Keith got some things through airports.

In his book "Classic Rock Albums: Exile on Main St" John Perry calls Sweet Virginia, "A successful amalgam of country, blues and gospel, it is quintessential Rolling Stones, in fact."

Great song! Fun to play, too.

Amanda
56DeSoto
www.edithgrove.com

06-11-02 03:04 PM
sandrew Probably not about California, Virgina, or any state in the Union! I highly doubt he's talking about the state of California or anything that happened there - he's just thanking somebody for California wine, which by then was getting as good as Italian and French wine...
06-11-02 03:10 PM
mattb Those reds and greens and blues must have been California Hot Air Baloons. Virgina was a balloonist! Mick was in love in her and wanted her to come down.

On June 16, 2001 the hit counter of the WET page was inserted here, it had 174,489 hits. Now the hit counter is for both the page and the board. The hit counter of the ITW board had 1,127,645 hits when it was closed and the Coolboard didn't have hit counter but was on line only two months and a half.
Rolling Stones tour 2002 - Rolling Stones World Tour - Rolling Stones on the road